The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #26
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

I think Peterson got it over Manning because of Manning's 4 prior MVP awards. That simple really. Manning had his 2nd best statistical season of his career and lead a new team to the #1 seed.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #27
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
If I had a team...and they gave me the choice:

You can have one of the following two players:

1. AP
2. PM

I'd take Manning everyday anyday....all-day!

I'm not taking anything away from Peterson's year. He had a phenominal year. But, he's not the "MOST" valuable. Sorry.
PM has played at the same level for going on 15 years. The average life span of a RB is 4 years.

That is called a no brainer.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #28
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

we got knocked out in our first play off game. who gives a rats a ss about the post season awards? first round bye? champ gets burned Twice? we get embarrassed by a 70 yard bomb in the last min? F the awards. we have ball in OT driving and... someone throws a pick? Who? the Worst clutch QB's in nfl history
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #29
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Von and Doom faded like a haircut... Their PB caliber but neither are tops at their position.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #30
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

talk about some grumpy munchkins...

though I do agree about some guys not showing up a couple of weeks ago..
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #31
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
Von and Doom faded like a haircut... Their PB caliber but neither are tops at their position.
This is also why Smith didn't get any votes, I suspect. He had the record in his grasps then laid down and cried about double teams for 3 games.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #32
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So for those whining about Manning being robbed or it being ignorance of Denver, explain the major difference why Manning deserved it over Peterson when Davis got it over Cunningham in '98.

Cunningham came in for his first year starting (he had been riding the bench the previous year rather than injured), took over for a team that had won a wildcard game the previous year, and led his team to a 15-1 record while maintaining a 106 passer rating. Manning, meanwhile, took over for a team that had won a wildcard game the previous year and led his team to a 13-3 record while maintaining a 105.8 passer rating.

On the other side, Davis carried the ball 392 times at 5.1 YPC for a total of 2008 yards. Peterson, meanwhile, carries it only 348 times (44 times less) for a whopping 6 yards per carry for a total of 2097 yards and he's not playing behind anyone comparable to John Elway.

Now, if Peterson doesn't deserve his, how the F did TD deserve his? Would you give back TD's to get Peyton one?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #33
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
Which OLB is better than Von?
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #34
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Watt beat Miller 49-1 in the voting.
I normally don't care about these awards anymore, but 49-1? Really?

Watt got all the pub in the first half, and he did fade somewhat down the stretch. And where was he in that New England game anyway?

I'm not going to whine about Von not winning, but c'mon, Watt wasn't 49-1 better.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #35
FlaBroncosFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
So for those whining about Manning being robbed or it being ignorance of Denver, explain the major difference why Manning deserved it over Peterson when Davis got it over Cunningham in '98.

Cunningham came in for his first year starting (he had been riding the bench the previous year rather than injured), took over for a team that had won a wildcard game the previous year, and led his team to a 15-1 record while maintaining a 106 passer rating. Manning, meanwhile, took over for a team that had won a wildcard game the previous year and led his team to a 13-3 record while maintaining a 105.8 passer rating.

On the other side, Davis carried the ball 392 times at 5.1 YPC for a total of 2008 yards. Peterson, meanwhile, carries it only 348 times (44 times less) for a whopping 6 yards per carry for a total of 2097 yards and he's not playing behind anyone comparable to John Elway.

Now, if Peterson doesn't deserve his, how the F did TD deserve his? Would you give back TD's to get Peyton one?
TD also had 21 rushing TDs.
FlaBroncosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #36
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

[QUOTE=winstoncup bronco;379211

I'm not going to whine about Von not winning, but c'mon, Watt wasn't 49-1 better.[/QUOTE]

Agree 49-1 part but, the Watt hype machine was strong throughout so no wonder it turned out that way.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #37
R-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
I'm not going to whine about Von not winning, but c'mon, Watt wasn't 49-1 better.
Watt was 50-0 better, but apparently there was an orange and blue vote.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6469/jj-watt

Quote:
J.J. Watt has been named the Associated Press' 2012 NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Watt was a near unanimous selection with 49 of a possible 50 votes. He finished first in the NFL with 20.5 sacks and 22 tackles for loss, and obliterated the unofficial records for batted passes (16) and defeats (56). He also led the league in tackles for loss (22), had 76 QB disruptions, and posted a defensive stop on 17.2 percent of his snaps. Texans DC Wade Phillips insists Watt's 2012 season was the "absolute best" of any defensive lineman in NFL history. Broncos linebacker Von Miller is the only other player to receive a vote for the award.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #38
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:

TD's MVP was partially due to the continuation from the year before. He came in second to Barry Sanders for the rushing crown, then turned in a sick Superbowl run. We were defending champions, and he was the defending Superbowl MVP, and Denver rode his back to surpass the already lofty expectations. If TD simply had that year in an otherwise unspectacular era in Denver's history, no way he walks away with the MVP.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #39
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
If I had a team...and they gave me the choice:

You can have one of the following two players:

1. AP
2. PM

I'd take Manning everyday anyday....all-day!

I'm not taking anything away from Peterson's year. He had a phenominal year. But, he's not the "MOST" valuable. Sorry.
Fyi, it's a single season award, not a career one
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #40
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
This is also why Smith didn't get any votes, I suspect. He had the record in his grasps then laid down and cried about double teams for 3 games.
Actually he's been pretty hurt
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #41
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:

TD sat out after the Broncos had several of their games in hand.....so his 2,008 yards rushing would have been much more had he played the entire game instead of watching Vaughn Hebron and Derek Loville run out the clock of a typical 31-19 blowout.

Cunningham had a great year, but the problem he had was the perception that he just heaved numerous jump balls to Randy Moss who made great catches vs. Randall making great throws.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #42
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
TD's MVP was partially due to the continuation from the year before. He came in second to Barry Sanders for the rushing crown, then turned in a sick Superbowl run. We were defending champions, and he was the defending Superbowl MVP, and Denver rode his back to surpass the already lofty expectations. If TD simply had that year in an otherwise unspectacular era in Denver's history, no way he walks away with the MVP.
So you're saying the people bent the rules and gave him the MVP based on two years' production? That'd violate the rules for the benefit of the Broncos. That's the kind of stuff we hear as a basis for East Coast bias.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #43
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBroncosFan View Post
TD also had 21 rushing TDs.
Useless stat outside FF. Definitely doesn't make up for the difference in 5 vs 6 yards per carry.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #44
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
TD sat out after the Broncos had several of their games in hand.....so his 2,008 yards rushing would have been much more had he played the entire game instead of watching Vaughn Hebron and Derek Loville run out the clock of a typical 31-19 blowout.

Cunningham had a great year, but the problem he had was the perception that he just heaved numerous jump balls to Randy Moss who made great catches vs. Randall making great throws.
And Peterson would've had the all time record if he'd gotten anywhere close to TD's carries. He was like 7 yards shy with 44 carries less. TD might've sat a lot but he also had a lot of carries. As long as Peterson had less carries and more yards, the "he could've had more yards" is a useless argument completely.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #45
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Actually he's been pretty hurt
Ahh, that could be as well. I know I read about him whining because he was being doubled and tripled, as well. I don't recall if it coincided with whatshisface getting hurt or if he was whining about it beforehand.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #46
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Ahh, that could be as well. I know I read about him whining because he was being doubled and tripled, as well. I don't recall if it coincided with whatshisface getting hurt or if he was whining about it beforehand.
Yeah Justin Smiths injury didn't help either
Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #47
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Useless stat outside FF. Definitely doesn't make up for the difference in 5 vs 6 yards per carry.
Scoring points is how you win ****ing REAL football games. 54 more points for your teams = more wins.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 02-03-2013 at 10:12 AM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #48
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Scoring points is how you win ****ing REAL football games. 48 more points for your teams = more wins.
The fact that TD got them rather than Elway passing for them did not lead to wins.

I recall years when Shaun Alexander and LT2 were TD machines. They were SB champions, right?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #49
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
The fact that TD got them rather than Elway passing for them did not lead to wins.

I recall years when Shaun Alexander and LT2 were TD machines. They were SB champions, right?
I'm sorry you think 6 extra yards per game rushing is more impressive then 54 more points. I remember TD being a TD machine and we WERE SB champions.

How about AP? Is he going to beat the Ravens today?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #50
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I'm sorry you think 6 extra yards per game rushing is more impressive then 54 more points. I remember TD being a TD machine and we WERE SB champions.

How about AP? Is he going to beat the Ravens today?
Quick, name me the last time a TD leader (receiving or rushing) was also a SB champion. Surely they must correlate well, right?

Now go do your research. I have no idea who it is but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that TD was the last time it happened. Individual success does not necessarily equal team success.