The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
You do realize we do that stuff, right?
No way man!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #27
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Really? I don't see everyone being limited or tracked every time they purchase something. That over 10,000/yr are killed in drunken driving crashes anyway doesn't set off any red flags to you that what laws there are aren't enough.

Why?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #28
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
Really? I don't see everyone being limited or tracked every time they purchase something. That over 10,000/yr are killed in drunken driving crashes anyway doesn't set off any red flags to you that what laws there are aren't enough.

Why?
Just cause it is illegal to drink and drive doesn't mean people aren't going to do it.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #29
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Just cause it is illegal to drink and drive doesn't mean people aren't going to do it.
Since criminals won't follow new gun laws, there's no point in writing and passing them. Which is a pretty good argument for wiping all statutes off the books, I suppose. I mean, what's the point, right?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #30
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
I was going to say.

Personally, I think people should be able to buy all the booze, cigarettes and guns they want. I wouldn't mind actually seeing the legal age on all of those being 18, as well as the driving age.

This doesn't solve any problems. Probably creates more.

Perhaps every 18 year old would need to go through an alcohol, firearm, and tobacco health and safety class, before being allowed to access these items... but thats probably inconceivable as well.

Oh well, I'm gonna go down my liter of Beam while smoking knock off cuban cigars and shooting old bean cans.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #31
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:

Why?
Want to drive a car? Pass a test, register the car and prove you have liability insurance ....and that's for something designed as transportation.

Want to own a gun? No test, plenty of loopholes if you are a criminal or ****ing crazy, no insurance required.........and that's for something designed to kill and maim.

It's time to at least treat guns the same way we treat cars.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #32
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Why?
Anytime you get on a public road, you're being monitored by law enforcement (increasingly by automated electronic surveillance). There's also sobriety checkpoints, random stops, etc. Every time you buy alcohol, you're, by law, required to be screened for appropriate age, sobriety and mental state. You can only buy alcohol over the counter in designated establishments. You can only buy alcohol from licensed dealers (and there is no loophole for selling alcohol in any quantity at any location without a license or to minors/etc.). Dealers are frequently (sometimes/places as often as weekly) tested for compliance with all laws. Failure to comply with laws typically leads to fines, revocation of licenses, etc. You can't buy alcohol on certain, arbitrary, days in many jurisdictions (blue laws). Many jurisdictions completely ban alcohol. Many ban anything stronger than extremely weak alcohol (3.2%). Extremely low limits of BAC are in place in most jurisdictions (typically less than 1 drink/hour will put you over the legally drunk limit).

Of course, if you want to talk about drunk driving, you have to include all the laws about driving itself. In order to drive a car, you must be licensed, pass a test, procure liability insurance, etc. Oh, and that includes compulsory education about alcohol.

Providing alcohol to minors or other "invalid" purchasers typically leads to large fines, some jail time, etc. (in Colorado, up to 6 years in prison + 3 years probation + $5,000 fine) and they'll pull your driver's license.

We restrict and police alcohol far more than firearms. And, of course, trying to compare something that causes accidental death (alcohol) to something that enables purposeful death on a large, easy to commit scale is, quite frankly, ****ing retarded.

Almost as retarded as cutlet comparing it to sports and walking on the beach, but he still has you beat there.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #33
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Want to drive a car? Pass a test, register the car and prove you have liability insurance ....and that's for something designed as transportation.

Want to own a gun? No test, plenty of loopholes if you are a criminal or ****ing crazy, no insurance required.........and that's for something designed to kill and maim.

It's time to at least treat guns the same way we treat cars.
I guess I missed that part in the Constitution that says driving a car is a right.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
I guess I missed that part in the Constitution that says driving a car is a right.
I'm sure the 'pursuit of happiness' covers it.

I'm not suggesting denying law abiding citizens the 2nd, but this isn't the 18th century and sanity and common sense also need to apply. Anyway, the Supreme Court is there to decide if the 2nd has been violated. Let's at least get to the table and discuss the issues.

So far, it's been all 'nyet' and scare tactics from the NRA & gun lobby.....unless the discussion is 'more guns are needed.'

Last edited by DenverBrit; 01-31-2013 at 06:41 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #35
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I'm not suggesting denying law abiding citizens the 2nd, but this isn't the 18th century and sanity and common sense also need to apply. Anyway, the Supreme Court is there to decide if the 2nd has been violated. Let's at least get to the table and discuss the issues.

So far, it's been all 'nyet' and scare tactics from the NRA & gun lobby.....unless the discussion is 'more guns are needed.'
Common sense says after they imprisoned the Japanese in WWII, chased communist spies in the 50s, then sacrificed privacy to get the terrorists following 9/11, you'd stop letting people herd you by way of the boogy man. Gun owners aren't the problem. Criminals are the problem.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #36
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:

We need to discuss issues that will actually keep people safe. Attacking magazine capacity and "assault weapons" that have no real difference than traditional rifles is just doing something for the sake of doing something. The reality is if people weren't being threatened with confiscation hidden as registration then people would be more likely to accept new legislation.

The fact is the current system does work. Besides total confiscation of ALL weapons, what exactly would have prevented the Sandy Hook massacre? I haven't heard one rational argument on that yet. Is the left willing to really attempt confiscation? If so they will lose, and this country will be in a civil war and then we all lose.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...loophole-myth/
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #37
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
"Societal decay?" Way too broad of a concept to even be useful. I would also argue that "societal decay" is what the older generation always thinks the younger generation is bringing about in era after era after era. Plato thought the younger generation of his time was engaged in "societal decay." And so it goes.
It is. Have you seen these kids lately? All have long hair, stupid looking pants, piercings everywhere, impolite little bastards think the world revolves around them. None of them give a diddly **** about football, or politics.

Quote:
The guy makes some good points, especially the one about the riots in L.A. How does a free society guard itself against psychos? Who knows? Would the shopkeepers in L.A. have been able to hold off rioters with shotguns? Probably. Does anybody really need 30 round clips and armor piercing ammo?
What do you think you will need if your government ever turns on you?
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #38
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
A nuke. From where can I get one?
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #39
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
It is. Have you seen these kids lately? All have long hair, stupid looking pants, piercings everywhere, impolite little bastards think the world revolves around them.
Like Ro said, every other generation looks down their noses at the ones that will follow them. It has been going on forever. Do some people fit into what you describe? Sure. Do most? Hardly. Having piercings, long hair and stupid looking pants (what is a stupid looking pair of pants?) doesn't signify societal decay. That is their personal appearance. What is the big deal?

If there is a good critique on younger generations (teens to mid-twenties), I would argue that it would be most cannot relate to other generations or engage with people who are older than them. A lot of them are spoiled and have no idea what it is like to work for anything. Blame can be placed on their parents for that. We live in a me-first society in the first place and I think a lot of people end up caring about the wrong things. At any case, the root of most of these problems starts at home.

Quote:
None of them give a diddly **** about football, or politics.
More than half of the population is politically apathetic. We have a very uneducated citizenry.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #40
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

That ship has sailed, my friend. We have government of the Wall Street, for the military/industrial complex, and by the corporation.

Who should we shoot first?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #41
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Since criminals won't follow new gun laws, there's no point in writing and passing them. Which is a pretty good argument for wiping all statutes off the books, I suppose. I mean, what's the point, right?
Why don't we start in Chicago, just write a new law requiring anyone with an illegal firearm to turn the weapons in at the local police department. If you are a convicted felon, please turn in you firearm and yourself in for possible prosecution. That should do it, no more murders committed with a firearm in Chicago.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #42
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
We need to discuss issues that will actually keep people safe. Attacking magazine capacity and "assault weapons" that have no real difference than traditional rifles is just doing something for the sake of doing something. The reality is if people weren't being threatened with confiscation hidden as registration then people would be more likely to accept new legislation.

The fact is the current system does work. Besides total confiscation of ALL weapons, what exactly would have prevented the Sandy Hook massacre? I haven't heard one rational argument on that yet. Is the left willing to really attempt confiscation? If so they will lose, and this country will be in a civil war and then we all lose.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...loophole-myth/
I agree. An open discussion to lessen murder rates and hopefully prevent future incidents like Sandy Hook are needed. There are plenty of issues to deal with and no single solution will be enough.

There is a lot of scare mongering about confiscation of guns, which isn't going to happen, nor would it be on the table, but the NRA and gun lobby love to play that card.

It's not useful, in fact it's a cynical attempt to drive gun sales and NRA memberships. They are acting like 'troofers,' and for the same purpose.....$$$
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #43
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I agree. An open discussion to lessen murder rates and hopefully prevent future incidents like Sandy Hook are needed. There are plenty of issues to deal with and no single issue will be enough.

There is a lot of scare mongering about confiscation of guns, which isn't going to happen, nor would it be on the table, but the NRA and gun lobby love to play that card.

It's not useful, in fact it's a cynical attempt to drive gun sales and NRA memberships. They are acting like 'troofers,' and for the same purpose.....$$$
Its gun control adovocates who use the scare tactics Brit. They make people think that their kids aren't safe in school because of a lack of gun control. How is that not a scare tactic?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #44
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Why don't we start in Chicago, just write a new law requiring anyone with an illegal firearm to turn the weapons in at the local police department. If you are a convicted felon, please turn in you firearm and yourself in for possible prosecution. That should do it, no more murders committed with a firearm in Chicago.
I make money of the gun buy back in CA. Now they only give gift cards though but its still cool. Get a crappy gun that doesn't even work and go get 50-100 bucks for it. We are out of guns to turn in now but i am always on the lookout because i know CA will do it again eventually. LAPD does them all the time. Guns don't even have to work just find the oldest most worthless guns you can and buy them up cheap.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #45
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Whats more of a scare tactic then support a law limiting clip sizes and rifle types or your kids won't be safe in school.?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #46
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I agree. An open discussion to lessen murder rates and hopefully prevent future incidents like Sandy Hook are needed. There are plenty of issues to deal with and no single solution will be enough.

Fear is the best motivator. Both sides use it, especially on this issue. Confiscation isn't going to happen, but that doesn't mean that the left doesn't want it to happen.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #47
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Its gun control adovocates who use the scare tactics Brit. They make people think that their kids aren't safe in school because of a lack of gun control. How is that not a scare tactic?
Are they making money in some way?

Because that's my issue, the NRA and gun lobby are about the money.

Those who advocate gun controls have what objective in mind?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #48
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Look at all these Rednecks! Good grief. Damn inbreeds.

Last edited by Dukes; 02-01-2013 at 10:17 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #49
Dukes
Ring of Famer

And another one. The redneck is strong with this one.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #50
Dukes
Ring of Famer

And another one. The redneck is strong with this one.