The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Let the Fun Begin! Broncos Mocks

Let's see those pre-everything Broncos' mock drafts! Here's my first effort, which I file under the heading, "Mo' Power, Please."

28. Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida, 6'3", 301
57. Chase Thomas, ILB, Stanford, 6'4", 245
88. Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas, 6'5", 320
119. Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford, 5'9", 216
154. A.J. Klein, ILB, Iowa State, 6'1", 246
216. Earl Wolff, S, NC State, 6', 207
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

I'm sure I will probably try to throw my shoe at the TV over Denver's first pick.....almost did it with Tebow (I was right to) and with Miller (which I was wrong on)....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
NickStixx

I would rather have Xavier Rhodes CB, or Jordan Poyer CB at the #28 pick instead of Sharrif. I just think that might be a little bit of a reach to take Sharrif that early.
Love the Chase Thomas, Alvin Bailey, and Stepfan Taylor picks.
And I haven't gone deep enough to know if the value of later picks.
Just wonder if Denver will go WR with one of those picks, and then I like getting a Safety. Picking two ILB might be too much for us running the 4-3.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
I would rather have Xavier Rhodes CB, or Jordan Poyer CB at the #28 pick instead of Sharrif. I just think that might be a little bit of a reach to take Sharrif that early.
IMO, unlikely that Sharrif will make it to #20 much less #28.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Let's see those pre-everything Broncos' mock drafts! Here's my first effort, which I file under the heading, "Mo' Power, Please."

28. Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida, 6'3", 301
57. Chase Thomas, ILB, Stanford, 6'4", 245
88. Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas, 6'5", 320
119. Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford, 5'9", 216
154. A.J. Klein, ILB, Iowa State, 6'1", 246
216. Earl Wolff, S, NC State, 6', 207
Ro.. I like that your draft addresses positions of need.. I like some of the prospects and others I'm not crazy about. My real question is why two ILBs? If Chase can actually transition to MLB then I would prefer another OLB like Goodman instead of Klein.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Ro.. I like that your draft addresses positions of need.. I like some of the prospects and others I'm not crazy about. My real question is why two ILBs? If Chase can actually transition to MLB then I would prefer another OLB like Goodman instead of Klein.
Who do we have in the middle? Brooking, at 37? Steven Johnson, a UDFA? Do you bring Mays back? I'm not a big fan of DJ. Time for him to go, hopefully for a good pick or two. Woodyard has stepped it up at the Will spot. We don't need the headache of DJ. Obviously, we need major depth and competition at the MLB position. I like the idea of using a fifth round pick to roll the dice on the type of player who scouts question (and drops in the draft) because he doesn't fit their formula of height, speed, etc. and yet coaches can't take that player off the field because of his high effort and smarts. That's what Klein brings. He's a steal in the fifth, IMO.

What my mock does is take an area of weakness, the middle of the defense, and turn it into a strength. With this kind of draft, I would envision the Broncos making a serious play for Amendola or Welker, to improve the receiving corps. Stepfan and Bailey would take the running game up another notch. The Broncos are loaded at OLB, comparatively speaking. Plus, Del Rio plays a lot of 3-4 in pass rush situations, putting Von at DE opposite Doom. We have plenty of speed on the outsides, but often we get burned up the middle on the runs because we take out the big guys and opposing QBs switch to runs. Having a couple of run stuffing ILBs gives you more options.

I envision a pass rush package of Doom, Floyd and Wolfe, with a LB package of Woodyard, Chase, Klein and Von. (Note: Thomas and Klein are both pretty good pass rushers, when called on to do it). That's massive pressure on the pass rush side and if you try to run it past the DT, you've got two ass kicking MLBs whose speciality is shedding guards and bringing down RBs. You can rush the passer and still stuff the run. Instead of putting all your size on the D line, you put some in the MLB position.

Here's a nice Earl Wolff vid:
Old 01-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
lookin' glass
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Who do we have in the middle? Brooking, at 37? Steven Johnson, a UDFA? Do you bring Mays back? I'm not a big fan of DJ. Time for him to go, hopefully for a good pick or two. Woodyard has stepped it up at the Will spot. We don't need the headache of DJ. Obviously, we need major depth and competition at the MLB position. I like the idea of using a fifth round pick to roll the dice on the type of player who scouts question (and drops in the draft) because he doesn't fit their formula of height, speed, etc. and yet coaches can't take that player off the field because of his high effort and smarts. That's what Klein brings. He's a steal in the fifth, IMO.

What my mock does is take an area of weakness, the middle of the defense, and turn it into a strength. With this kind of draft, I would envision the Broncos making a serious play for Amendola or Welker, to improve the receiving corps. Stepfan and Bailey would take the running game up another notch. The Broncos are loaded at OLB, comparatively speaking. Plus, Del Rio plays a lot of 3-4 in pass rush situations, putting Von at DE opposite Doom. We have plenty of speed on the outsides, but often we get burned up the middle on the runs because we take out the big guys and opposing QBs switch to runs. Having a couple of run stuffing ILBs gives you more options.

I envision a pass rush package of Doom, Floyd and Wolfe, with a LB package of Woodyard, Chase, Klein and Von. (Note: Thomas and Klein are both pretty good pass rushers, when called on to do it). That's massive pressure on the pass rush side and if you try to run it past the DT, you've got two ass kicking MLBs whose speciality is shedding guards and bringing down RBs. You can rush the passer and still stuff the run. Instead of putting all your size on the D line, you put some in the MLB position.

Here's a nice Earl Wolff vid:
So the defense would officially a 'pack' of Wolf(f)es!?! It's a Youtube vid but I like what I see from this kid.
lookin' glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Bmore Manning

Interestingly the Broncos interviewed Goodman the Mizzou OLB, that doesn't mean they will draft him, but it to me says coverage is an important aspect of our LBs we draft.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Interestingly the Broncos interviewed Goodman the Mizzou OLB, that doesn't mean they will draft him, but it to me says coverage is an important aspect of our LBs we draft.
Compromise is an aspect of drafting that teams have to accept. You're not going to get everything in one package unless all you have is top five picks, year after year. When I look at football setups I always think more of what the entire package brings, rather than player by player. I don't think there is any such thing as the perfect team at every position. You have to have your priorities. In today's game, I put the premium on pass rush over coverage, believing that a good pass rush improves the secondary, and the LBs.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Back to Shariff - not that Pioli is the "end all" when it comes to the draft - ;>) - but he has him listed as one of his 5 top rated underclasmen.

1. Luke Joeckel, T, Texas A&M. Strong candidate for the first overall pick. Three-year starter at left tackle in the Big 12 and never red-shirted. A true height-weight-speed prospect who plays with good athleticism and body control. Will play early while he develops better hip and core strength. Good teammate too.
2. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama. One of the youngest players in the draft (20), but a very experienced corner from the best-coached DB group in the country. Milliner has the flexibility, intelligence and experience to play outside corner and also line up in the slot. Should contribute on special teams early in his career.
3. Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida. Also 20, Floyd is a strong, athletic defensive lineman who, at 6-foot-3 and 303 pounds, has position and scheme versatility. Good competitor and tough player against the run and pass. Not great sack numbers, but consistently disruptive in the pass rush, and the type of player who makes those around him better by making the offense concentrate so much on stopping him.
4. Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State. Born in Germany, Werner learned football while at a Connecticut prep school as an exchange student. Played just two prep years before signing with Florida State. Two-year starter at left end in FSU's base and sub packages who shows surprising natural instincts, good hand strength and athletic ability. Pretty impressive to see he had 13 sacks in the ACC in the 2012 season.
5. Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State. At 6-3 and 335, he still has the athleticism to line up at multiple positions on the line -- not just at the nose. Active and instinctive, and showed improvement from 2011. Very good player versus the run that needs to continue to improve his every-down consistency.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...ck/?xid=si_nfl
(bottom of page 2)
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
OrangeWon

28. Kawann Short, DT, Purdue, 6'3", 308
57. Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers, 6'0", 190
88. Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina, 6'2", 246
119. Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M, 6'0", 204
154. Hugh Thornton, OG, Illinois, 6'3", 313
216. Rex Burkhead, RB, Nebraska, 5'11, 210
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Broncos 2013 Mock Draft Wish List (Updated 01/2013)

1. D.J. Fluker- ORT- Alabama, 6'-5", 355 lbs.
2. Larry Warford- OG-Kentucky, 6'-3" 333 lbs.
3. Brandon Williams- DT- Mississippi Southern, 6'-1", 341 lbs.
4. Ryan Swope- WR- Texas A&M, 6-'0" 205 lbs.
5. Kevin Reddick- ILB-North Carolina-6'-2" 246 lbs.
6. Knile Davis- RB, Arkansas, 6'-0", 226 lbs
7. (Lost in Bunkley Trade)

FA- Sammie Lee Hill-DT
Patrick Chung- S
Quinton Demps- CB

Last edited by Traveler; 01-30-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

IMHO, Fluker goes higher than #28 -- and I doubt we would take him.

Warford absolutely beasted it in Mobile, he won't be there at our second rounder.

Brandon Williams in the third is nice, but I have a feeling he rises too.

Would prefer someone other than Swope at WR.

I'd be surprised if Reddick went in the fifth. He has things to work on, but he should go higher than that.

Good players, IMHO -- just not realistic value -- but hey, it's early. We are all projecting.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Broncos 2013 Mock Draft Wish List (Updated 01/2013)

1. D.J. Fluker- ORT- Alabama, 6'-5", 355 lbs.
2. Larry Warford- OG-Kentucky, 6'-3" 333 lbs.
3. Brandon Williams- DT- Mississippi Southern, 6'-1", 341 lbs.
4. Ryan Swope- WR- Texas A&M, 6-'0" 205 lbs.
5. Kevin Reddick- ILB-North Carolina-6'-2" 246 lbs.
6. Knile Davis- RB, Arkansas, 6'-0", 226 lbs
7. (Lost in Bunkley Trade)

FA- Sammie Lee Hill-DT
Patrick Chung- S
Quinton Demps- CB
Yeah, I can't see Reddick lasting until the fifth. And why are we taking both a RT and a OG. If we take a RT, Franklin moves inside, making Kuper or Beadles a backup. We don't need to spend another pick on a depth position when we need a starting MLB.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I doubt #1 will be a DT. DTs are not valued highly by Fox or JDR, imo. In Jacksonville and Carolina, they combined for 150 draft picks. Together, they drafted 9 DTs, only one as a first rounder. In comparison, they combined to pick 29 DBs.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
I doubt #1 will be a DT. DTs are not valued highly by Fox or JDR, imo. In Jacksonville and Carolina, they combined for 150 draft picks. Together, they drafted 9 DTs, only one as a first rounder. In comparison, they combined to pick 29 DBs.
link?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
link?
http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../jax/draft.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../car/draft.htm
Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
albeit J Ville had 2 dominant DT for his tenure there for the most part...

Carolina also always seemed to be ok at DL... very interesting refernce though, it will be interesting come draft day...

Elway kind of drafts BPA/ what he wants.../ need
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

How many defensive tackles do we have under contract for 2013?

Not many. Yeah, we will be picking one.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
How many defensive tackles do we have under contract for 2013?

Not many. Yeah, we will be picking one.
How many DTs did we have on the roster at the beginning of 2011? Zero.

How many did we draft? Zero.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #21
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
How many DTs did we have on the roster at the beginning of 2011? Zero.

How many did we draft? Zero.
Wolfe didn't take a snap at DT? **** that changes everything.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Wolfe didn't take a snap at DT? **** that changes everything.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Carry on
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #24
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Yeah, I can't see Reddick lasting until the fifth. And why are we taking both a RT and a OG. If we take a RT, Franklin moves inside, making Kuper or Beadles a backup. We don't need to spend another pick on a depth position when we need a starting MLB.
Agree to disagree Rascal.

As much as I like Kuper, his body is betraying him and he won't be around much longer. Beadles did have a nice year, but he has probably reached his max potential. I'm looking at this long term being setup for Osweiler.

MLB is one of the weaker positions in this draft according to most of the draft "experts." Really don't see many ILB's with first round grades or that are difference makers in the later rounds. It's still early though. Reddick is currently listed as a 4-5 round rounder by nfldraftscout.com

Fluker takes over for Franklin. Franklin displaces Beadles. Warford gets groomed behind Kuper for a year or two. Lastly, here's hoping Blake grows into the Center position. We'd be set on the OL for quite some time.

Last edited by Traveler; 01-30-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Warford is going to start in the NFL from Day 1.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: