The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #26
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I said the Broncos will draft a LINEBACKER within the first three rounds. Who I think it will be is irrelevant.
All I was talking about was MLB's. That's kinda what this thread is about. They are going to have to do something about backup SOLB now...which is pretty irrevalent to this conversation.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
All I was talking about was MLB's. That's kinda what this thread is about. They are going to have to do something about backup SOLB now...which is pretty irrevalent to this conversation.
Like I said, if you think that Keith and Nate are the only guys they will have give it a rip in 2013 at MIKE. . . more power to ya.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #28
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
He's been here for two seasons and that's a pretty harsh critique.

Irving was *fantastic* on special teams this year. He was fast and tackled really really well. He's been a project for sure, but he consistently got better as the year wore on.

There were lingering injury issues in his rookie season and there have been scattered reports (listening to the local radio) that his first season was essentially a redshirt year. Coming into this season he clearly had issues adjusting to NFL game speed, but at least on special teams, that got better and better as the year went along.

I still have no idea if he'll ever see the field, but there are least reasons to be optimistic.
Al Wilson was in the probowl his 2nd year. Ray Lewis was in the probowl is 2nd year. Patrick Willis was in the probowl his 1st year. When you have a stud MLB, IMO, it's pretty evident right away. I'm not saying give up on Irving, he's good at ST's and could eventually work himself into a MLB backup role. But I think when you have a great MLB it's very clear early on.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #29
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
he'll get a chance. but there is too much talent in the draft at MLB to pass over.
exactly. Why would we take such a huge chance on such an important postition and not look for the upgrade? If DJ isnt the answer, we have a small window of opportunity to get to the Super Bowl. This past year, MLB hurt us before Brooking came in so I am not blaming him for the playoff loss. I just don't think Irving is going to be some big upgrade if we are looking for some "Romanowski" type upgrade to get to the SB.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Like I said, if you think that Keith and Nate are the only guys they will have give it a rip in 2013 at MIKE. . . more power to ya.
I didn't say that.

They probably keep Steven Johnson on at MLB too...maybe a low round draft pick...nothing in the first 3 rounds the way I see it. The Broncos have too many more crucial needs. I don't have to list them all here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I just don't think Irving is going to be some big upgrade if we are looking for some "Romanowski" type upgrade to get to the SB.
Brooking is our Romanowski.

Last edited by pricejj; 01-28-2013 at 12:42 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #31
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Isn't Brooking a FA? I highly doubt they bring him back for anything more than depth, he is old but still better than Mays.

Unless they move Mays to DT and have him bulk up I bet he is gone. Irving and Trevathan got a lot of rotation time in but I don't remember Mays getting any snaps after being benched. Cut Mays and save some money, plus our dead space is freeing up so might as well put someone on it.

I would be surprised if we didn't go MLB in the 1st round. I wonder if they don't go through the FA pile and try to find a Vet to bring in cheap as depth at both MLB (could still be Brooking) and/or SAM.

The other possibility is they could try to restructure DJ and keep him at OLB which would give us quality depth, a Vet presence (if not the smartest dude on the planet off a football field) and some cap savings.

If it is true they moved Irving to MLB then they might be considering keeping DJ at a reduced salary.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #32
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
They probably keep Steven Johnson on at MLB too...maybe a low round draft pick...nothing in the first 3 rounds the way I see it. The Broncos have too many more crucial needs. I don't have to list them all here.
Johnson actually looked really good last preseason. When I finished watching the games he was in, I actually believed in his potential.

I really want every Bronco to succeed, but I just don't see Irving as the type of player that will make us any better than we were last year. We need to get better in order to win a superbowl, and the MLB position is crucial. Irving isn't the guy. As stated before, I have actually seen Johnson make more preseason impact than Irving, but neither has had the chance to prove much in games that count.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #33
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The positives about Johnson is he has a nose for the ball, he's got good instincts. The problem with Johnson is he's just too slow, he simply doesn't have the speed an effective NFL mike needs. I'm pretty sure that if the Broncos draft an ILB then Johnson will not make the roster next season. That's too bad because I really like this kid.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #34
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Johnson actually looked really good last preseason. When I finished watching the games he was in, I actually believed in his potential.

I really want every Bronco to succeed, but I just don't see Irving as the type of player that will make us any better than we were last year. We need to get better in order to win a superbowl, and the MLB position is crucial. Irving isn't the guy. As stated before, I have actually seen Johnson make more preseason impact than Irving, but neither has had the chance to prove much in games that count.
Considering the list of probably alternatives at #28, the Broncos would be wise to draft Te'o or Minter if they are available.

Maybe they are just moving Irving, because he has shown enough ability that he could compete at MLB. He would never be of much value at SOLB behind Von Miller, so it's their way of putting him back in the mix, and letting him keep learning at MLB so he can be of value later on.

Last edited by pricejj; 01-28-2013 at 02:42 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #35
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Denver will draft a LB with one of their top three picks.
Couldn't agree more. Top loaded with great prospects at the position. Terry Pierce would be a steal in the second round and solidify the position for years to come.
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #36
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I heard he met an awesome new girl online and has been motivated by talking to her late at night.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #37
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

MLB sure seems like a need in the draft, and early. Apparently there are some good prospects. Just seems like it would be a failure by the FO to go into the TC with Brooking, Mays, DJ, Johnson, and Irving as the only competition.

First, they're only gonna carry three MLB on the 53, and do they really want to roll the dice on those three MLB's to come out of that group? I doubt it.

But for all I know they may still like DJ at MLB/ILB (depending on the D packages they send out on the field). If they want to roll the dice on him at his salary, that would reduce the chance of a 1st rounder on a MLB. And in that case I guess they would stick with Irving and Johnson as the backups and as ST guys. They could maybe bring Brooking back after TC if there's an injury, or some other older player cut after TC.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #38
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

this is who i want at MLB. hopefully he falls to round #2
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #39
Bmore Manning

Those of you who follow my posts especially in the draft forum know I am a huge proponent of getting a MLB, personally Arthur Brown would be my selection in the first round!

But... I think there are some interesting signs we cannot ignore..

The interviews showed us last year, that this staff will interview who they like, I.E. Wolfe last year.. I think the writing is on the wall that we will be getting at least one safety maybe two early in the draft.

We also looked at a project OLB, this is someone who can take the place of DJ on the roster and be that coverage rotational SOLB.

This means we value coverage..

Irving could move back as at least depth and to compete for ILB. I think that's a real possibility..that doesn't mean we won't addresss MLB in the draft or free agency, but I don't think it's an absolute lock we are going MLB round one..
Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #40
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Those of you who follow my posts especially in the draft forum know I am a huge proponent of getting a MLB, personally Arthur Brown would be my selection in the first round!

But... I think there are some interesting signs we cannot ignore..

The interviews showed us last year, that this staff will interview who they like, I.E. Wolfe last year.. I think the writing is on the wall that we will be getting at least one safety maybe two early in the draft.

We also looked at a project OLB, this is someone who can take the place of DJ on the roster and be that coverage rotational SOLB.

This means we value coverage..

Irving could move back as at least depth and to compete for ILB. I think that's a real possibility..that doesn't mean we won't addresss MLB in the draft or free agency, but I don't think it's an absolute lock we are going MLB round one..
He sure is athletic, but, and granted i know nothing, he looks like he'd be better at weakside to me. He played a lot of games this year against spread teams and, from what i can find, spent a lot of time in nickel. When they were in more of a traditional base defense he looks like the type that gets caught out of position when you run at him, but is quick if you try to attack the edges.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #41
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
He sure is athletic, but, and granted i know nothing, he looks like he'd be better at weakside to me. He played a lot of games this year against spread teams and, from what i can find, spent a lot of time in nickel. When they were in more of a traditional base defense he looks like the type that gets caught out of position when you run at him, but is quick if you try to attack the edges.
Well that would be his value, nickel packages and presenting a coverage option on one side of the field. I'm not implying this is the guy they think can play MLB, but he could potentially be a very nice addition to a nickel package.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #42
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Denver will draft a LB with one of their top three picks.
2nd Round: Jon Bostic, Linebacker, Florida

Middle linebacker is arguably the Broncos' weakest position. The aging Keith Brooking will be a free agent this offseason, and behind him they have Joe Mays and Steven Johnson. Mays lost his job to Brooking last season and will be coming off a knee injury as well.

Denver could address this position in free agency by reaching out to a guy like Rey Maualuga of the Cincinnati Bengals or Tim Dobbins of the Houston Texans. Both would be a big upgrade over what the Broncos have.

Jon Bostic may be a bit of a reach in the second round, but he comes out of one of the nation's best defenses at Florida. He plays the run very well and is athletic enough to force turnovers, returning one of his two interceptions for a touchdown in his senior season.

If the Broncos were to draft Bostic, some would probably call it a reach, but the same thing was said last year about Derek Wolfe, and that turned out pretty good.
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #43
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I think so too. Irving will have to compete with whomever that is. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they let DJ go and I don't believe they will resign Brooking, if they do it will be another year.
I think they would be crazy not to re-sign Brooking to another one year contract. Great vet leader, low pay and he can startif he has to.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #44
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post

Middle linebacker is arguably the Broncos' weakest position. The aging Keith Brooking will be a free agent this offseason, and behind him they have Joe Mays and Steven Johnson. Mays lost his job to Brooking last season and will be coming off a knee injury as well.

Denver could address this position in free agency by reaching out to a guy like Rey Maualuga of the Cincinnati Bengals or Tim Dobbins of the Houston Texans. Both would be a big upgrade over what the Broncos have.

Jon Bostic may be a bit of a reach in the second round, but he comes out of one of the nation's best defenses at Florida. He plays the run very well and is athletic enough to force turnovers, returning one of his two interceptions for a touchdown in his senior season.

If the Broncos were to draft Bostic, some would probably call it a reach, but the same thing was said last year about Derek Wolfe, and that turned out pretty good.
Teo,Jackson,Minter,Olgetree,Bostic are the main guys i want at MLB.
Jackson is my favorite as i think Teo will be gone(and his hoax issues are kinda alarming)but also he's a big,mean, nasty complete LB who can thump in the middle.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #45
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post

Rey Maualuga has been exposed badly. He really, really sucks.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #46
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
he has as much of a chance of becoming the starting MLB for the Broncos next year as I do becoming the King of France....
We all said the same thing about Mays after last season. Then we re-signed him and he was the starting MLB week 1.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #47
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Yeah I really like Bostic from florida too in the second round. I'm a little off subject but another guy I really like is Eric Reid in the first round at FS. They could be two starters that could really improve our young core foundation on defense.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #48
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Teo,Jackson,Minter,Olgetree,Bostic are the main guys i want at MLB.
Jackson is my favorite as i think Teo will be gone(and his hoax issues are kinda alarming)but also he's a big,mean, nasty complete LB who can thump in the middle.
Jackson is not in this draft. He's the #1 rated ILB in the 2014 draft.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #49
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
MLB is not the reason the Broncos lost in the playoffs. The Broncos have bigger fish to fry in early rounds...especially since they evidently believe they already have two capable players (Brooking, Irving) at the position.
It sure didn't help. Ray Rice went for 131 yards on 30 carries. Furthermore our lack of range at middle linebacker is the reason (I believe) that the defense played with the safeties up so much of the game. They risked the deep ball against man-to-man coverage to cover up for their extreme hole in the middle of their linebacking corp.

Hell all season the interior defensive tackles played a conservative style designed to plug holes and force all of the action to the much more talented outside backers.

In short: The defense was far less dynamic than it could have been because one position on the field was far less competent than the other 10 guys. They started the year with Joe Mays for crying out loud. If that's not a cry for help, I don't know what is.

There isn't a more pressing need on this team than to fill that hole at middle linebacker. It's the most important position, by a mile, in the 4-3.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #50
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
Rey Maualuga has been exposed badly. He really, really sucks.
He is sorta what he was in college. If you get too close, he'll hit ya, but he's not great in space. He's not what we need. We need somebody who is really smart, good in space.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote