The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
pricejj
jungle

Default The Return of Irving

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...#disqus_thread

Rascal posted in the draft forum that the DP reports Nate Irving is moving back to MLB to compete for the starting job this offseason.

1. Are Brooking and Irving going to battle it out for starting MLB?
2. Is this is writing on the wall for DJ to be released?
3. If so, forget about spending a high draft pick on an LB in the draft.

(either that or I am completely misreading the entire thing.)

Last edited by pricejj; 01-28-2013 at 09:36 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I'm not sure how you drew any of those conclusions from that one simple article.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I'm not sure how you drew any of those conclusions from that one simple article.
If Irving really is returning to MLB (as they report it), it changes a lot of things. Of course, they may just be speculating. The article seems to be a bit high on 'wishful thinking' and a bit low on factual content.

Last edited by pricejj; 01-28-2013 at 09:35 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

There is NOTHING in that article to give your post any cred at all. If you think Elway is going into next season knowing he has a team that can win it all now, with maybe a few more upgrades, and you think he's going to count on Iriving as the starting MLB, I think you may be just as dumb as the guy who's writing that article. The guy hasn't show hardly anything in his few years here. There's no way you can look at what he's done so far and say he's the answer.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Perhaps but...

1) it doesnt imply that they will sign brooking back, or that they are overly confident Irving will take the starting job.
2) Whats it have to do with DJ? Though i think the broncos will logically cut him anyway
3) They hardly have a ton of money wrapped up in irving. I dont see why they wouldnt draft an LB just because of him
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Denver will draft a LB with one of their top three picks.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Denver will draft a LB with one of their top three picks.
I think so too. Irving will have to compete with whomever that is. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they let DJ go and I don't believe they will resign Brooking, if they do it will be another year.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

he has as much of a chance of becoming the starting MLB for the Broncos next year as I do becoming the King of France....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

We will know a lot more after the draft IMHO. This article is basically saying that Nate is still a young guy and that means Elway will give him an opportunity to win the starting MLB spot b/c Elway wants to infuse some more youth into the team. So basically, Elway is telling Nate "here's your chance." However, the draft will also speak to this issue. If the Broncos spend a first day pick on a ILB/MLB then Nate will know that nothing is being given to him.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Sounds to me like all they are saying is that Irving will get a chance to compete for a LB position, same as everybody else they bring in.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

FWIW, I read the rotoworld blurb, which outside of mentioning Broncos and Nate Irving appears to have no similarities to the Denverpost blog.

Sorry.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

he'll get a chance. but there is too much talent in the draft at MLB to pass over.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
There is NOTHING in that article to give your post any cred at all. If you think Elway is going into next season knowing he has a team that can win it all now, with maybe a few more upgrades, and you think he's going to count on Iriving as the starting MLB, I think you may be just as dumb as the guy who's writing that article. The guy hasn't show hardly anything in his few years here. There's no way you can look at what he's done so far and say he's the answer.
He's been here for two seasons and that's a pretty harsh critique.

Irving was *fantastic* on special teams this year. He was fast and tackled really really well. He's been a project for sure, but he consistently got better as the year wore on.

There were lingering injury issues in his rookie season and there have been scattered reports (listening to the local radio) that his first season was essentially a redshirt year. Coming into this season he clearly had issues adjusting to NFL game speed, but at least on special teams, that got better and better as the year went along.

I still have no idea if he'll ever see the field, but there are least reasons to be optimistic.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Well, that is pretty incorrect. You don't know that they thought Irving was a first-round talent. In fact, it was Bill Parcells who thought Nate Irving was a first-round talent, despite the fact that he basically lost his leg in an automobile accident. The team obviously didn't have him rated that high since he was a third-round selection.

And why would the roster space be limited? We have a bunch of areas we can upgrade on this roster. ILB being one of the primary ones. Irving and Brooking aren't the kind of guys you want being the only dudes on your roster going into training camp at MIKE.

This is assuming something is done with DJ and Joe as well. We are not deep at LB. We have Trevathan, Johnson, Miller, Irving and Woodyard outside those two X-Factors above, which in my eyes are likely to be cap casualties (and I like both those players). Outside Miller, it really isn't that impressive. Another young player or veteran needs to be added into the mix to make the unit a whole lot better. If one of those guys goes down, we are SOL.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

fuggit, get Minter !
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Perhaps but...

1) it doesnt imply that they will sign brooking back, or that they are overly confident Irving will take the starting job.
Why wouldn't you bring Brooking back? He led the Broncos to the #4 scoring Defense.

I think Irving's likely role will be similar to D.J.'s role when he came back...while hoping he can be the starter in the future.

Quote:
2) Whats it have to do with DJ? Though i think the broncos will logically cut him anyway
It's highly unlikely D.J. will remain on the team as 3rd string MLB.

Quote:
3) They hardly have a ton of money wrapped up in irving. I dont see why they wouldnt draft an LB just because of him
MLB is not the reason the Broncos lost in the playoffs. The Broncos have bigger fish to fry in early rounds...especially since they evidently believe they already have two capable players (Brooking, Irving) at the position.

Last edited by pricejj; 01-28-2013 at 12:02 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Well, that is pretty incorrect. You don't know that they thought Irving was a first-round talent. In fact, it was Bill Parcells who thought Nate Irving was a first-round talent, despite the fact that he basically lost his leg in an automobile accident. The team obviously didn't have him rated that high since he was a third-round selection.

And why would the roster space be limited? We have a bunch of areas we can upgrade on this roster. ILB being one of the primary ones. Irving and Brooking aren't the kind of guys you want being the only dudes on your roster going into training camp at MIKE.

This is assuming something is done with DJ and Joe as well. We are not deep at LB. We have Trevathan, Johnson, Miller, Irving and Woodyard outside those two X-Factors above, which in my eyes are likely to be cap casualties (and I like both those players). Outside Miller, it really isn't that impressive. Another young player or veteran needs to be added into the mix to make the unit a whole lot better. If one of those guys goes down, we are SOL.
This! Although you gotta give credit to Woody. I think we have our starting OLB's.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
This! Although you gotta give credit to Woody. I think we have our starting OLB's.
You are right. Wesley had a terrific year stepping up in place of DJ. I have his autograph on a big Broncos sticker decal on my fireproof safe. (Thanks again to fellow Maner underrated29 for hooking that up!)
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
pricejj
jungle

Quote:

WOLB:
1. Woodyard
2. D.J. Williams (adios amigo)
3. Trevathan

MLB:
1. Brooking
2. Irving
3. Steven Johnson or a restructured Joe Mays

SOLB:
1. Miller
2. X

Looks like all the Broncos need is a backup SOLB who will rarely see the field...hardly something you need to spend a 1st or 2nd round draft pick on.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Why wouldn't you bring Brooking back? He led the Broncos to the #2 scoring Defense.

I think Irving's likely role will be similar to D.J.'s role when he came back...while hoping he can be the starter in the future.

It's highly unlikely D.J. will remain on the team as 3rd string MLB.

MLB is not the reason the Broncos lost in the playoffs. The Broncos have bigger fish to fry in early rounds...especially since they evidently believe they already have two capable players (Brooking, Irving) at the position.
This is all assuming that Brooking is retained (which I think is a long shot) and that Denver plans to keep Williams at Mike. Mike LB is definitely a need position whether Denver moves Irving to Mike, keeps Brooking, and/or retains Wiliams. For all we know Irving is viewed as depth at MLB. He hasn't done anything to show us that he's The Man there now. Brooking was a stopgap after the Mays experiment fell through.

Quote:
Why wouldn't you bring Brooking back? He led the Broncos to the #2 scoring Defense.
no

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 01-28-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Irving hasn't proved **** and the last time Keith Brooking was worth a **** Bill Clinton was getting dome in the Oval Office. You are off your rocker if you think we are going into training camp with the same personnel at MIKE as this past year.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Irving hasn't proved **** and the last time Keith Brooking was worth a **** Bill Clinton was getting dome in the Oval Office. You are off your rocker if you think we are going into training camp with the same personnel at MIKE as this past year.
Watch what you say about Brooking, he's the Broncos starting MLB, and played well this year for the NFL's #4 Defense. Haven't heard anything about him retiring.

I said the Irving move indicates that it's highly unlikely the Broncos spend a high draft pick on an MLB. I like his improvement.

Since you continue to maintain that the Broncos WILL spend a high draft pick (1st or 2nd rounder) on an MLB, who do you think it will be? Just curious. Would be mighty strange to see JDR roll out only Irving and a rookie at MLB in camp.

Last edited by pricejj; 01-28-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #23
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post

no
fixed (#4)
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #24
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Since you continue to maintain that the Broncos WILL spend a high draft pick (1st or 2nd rounder) on an MLB, who do you think it will be? Just curious.
I said the Broncos will draft a LINEBACKER within the first three rounds. Who I think it will be is irrelevant.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #25
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Always liked the Irvin pick. Hoped he would have been the MLB this season instead of Mays. Still want competition at MLB, but will not be mad at all if he wins it. This will only be his 3rd year, he got to at least learn from Brooking and not Mays. I actually like this if true a lot. Still need to get some prospect to develop and for depth reasons.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote