The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #126
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,109

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Well what else is a guy who has blown out both his right and left knees going to do? He is desperate for a job. If he could stay healthy he would be a Hell of a player. Too bad he can't.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #127
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

If we get a free agent MLB I wouldn't have an issue with a middle round flier on Mauti.. Hodges looked good this past week..
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #128
NickStixx
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I think I said it earlier last week... but Jordan Poyer is very impressive, and I have heard that Broncos were talking with him earlier in the week. So at pick 28 if Denver is to take him I would be fine with that. Thoughts? He had a great game in the senior bowl, and the tape I've watched on him is very impressive as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #129
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,106

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
I think I said it earlier last week... but Jordan Poyer is very impressive, and I have heard that Broncos were talking with him earlier in the week. So at pick 28 if Denver is to take him I would be fine with that. Thoughts? He had a great game in the senior bowl, and the tape I've watched on him is very impressive as well.
I Love Poyer as a player, but this is one of the deepest CB drafts I have seen in awhile. Dropping a first rounder on a CB is not that good of a value IMHO in this draft. Also, I am not sure he would be drafted before our second round pick in this draft. His long speed will be the difference in early second or late second round draft status to me. Very few positions are impacted by the 40, but CB is one of them. The ten yard split and the short shuttle are also extremely important for CB's, almost more so than the 40.

That being said, he plays faster than he will time and that keeps him in the mix for an earlier draft pick. I want defense, but DL or safety would be better than corner at 28 for me.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #130
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I Love Poyer as a player, but this is one of the deepest CB drafts I have seen in awhile. Dropping a first rounder on a CB is not that good of a value IMHO in this draft. Also, I am not sure he would be drafted before our second round pick in this draft. His long speed will be the difference in early second or late second round draft status to me. Very few positions are impacted by the 40, but CB is one of them. The ten yard split and the short shuttle are also extremely important for CB's, almost more so than the 40.

That being said, he plays faster than he will time and that keeps him in the mix for an earlier draft pick. I want defense, but DL or safety would be better than corner at 28 for me.
I have to agree, there will be some talented corners available in the second/third round of the draft..

I have to say, I would not be surprised to see us grab two new safeties in the draft. We interviewed Thomas who projects as a FS, and Cyprien who projects as a SS. They are roughly 2 and 3-4 round values respectively. We interviewed Gooden the OLB, so that means maybe we have plans of taking an OLB because Irvin or Trevethan is going to transition to MLB, or we will grab one in free agency.

I think DT has solid depth, I like Williams.. But if we take one in the first and Short is gone, I really like what Jenkins of Georgia brings to the table in terms of being a disruptive POWERFUL NT.

Last edited by Bmore Manning; 01-28-2013 at 08:20 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #131
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I Love Poyer as a player, but this is one of the deepest CB drafts I have seen in awhile. Dropping a first rounder on a CB is not that good of a value IMHO in this draft. Also, I am not sure he would be drafted before our second round pick in this draft. His long speed will be the difference in early second or late second round draft status to me. Very few positions are impacted by the 40, but CB is one of them. The ten yard split and the short shuttle are also extremely important for CB's, almost more so than the 40.

That being said, he plays faster than he will time and that keeps him in the mix for an earlier draft pick. I want defense, but DL or safety would be better than corner at 28 for me.
Med, what (if any) safties do you have your eye on at #28? Vaccaro seems to be the consensus top guy, but I'm assuming he'll be off the board. I like Matt Elam from Florida a lot. He can cover or play down in the box and made a ton of plays everytime I watched the Gators.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #132
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Jenkins moved really well in the drills from what I watched. Maybe I am wrong but out of all the big guys during the get low drill he seemed to be the most naturally flowing big.

I still prefer Trufant out of all the CB's though.

I think we end up with either Taylor or Gillislee from the game.

Jones from UCLA still remains high on my wish list.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #133
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

Anybody got a link for the game...had a birthday party and forgot to record it.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #134
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

BTW, per Deverpost, Irving is moving to MLB

Last edited by Rascal; 01-28-2013 at 08:58 AM..
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #135
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,109

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

I have heard whispers of Vacarro going in the Top 15. I doubt he is there for us.

That Cyprien kid looks like a player.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #136
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
BTW, per Deverpost, Irving is moving to MLB
Whoah. I bet they resign Brooking and cut DJ. They plan for Irving to be the eventual starter at MLB. Forget about all the MLB talk (including Minter).

Last edited by pricejj; 01-28-2013 at 09:11 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #137
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,106

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Med, what (if any) safties do you have your eye on at #28? Vaccaro seems to be the consensus top guy, but I'm assuming he'll be off the board. I like Matt Elam from Florida a lot. He can cover or play down in the box and made a ton of plays everytime I watched the Gators.
I am not sure yet. I am still working on the safety evaluations. One thing is for sure though, there are a ton of big CB's out there who do not project to play CB at the next level, but would have natural cover skills as a safety. There are at least 3 I like to play FS at the next level, but I am not talking about that yet!

There have been some very good FS who have made the transition to Safety from College CB recently. Jairus Byrd was one I called coming out, Tenard Jackson as well before he turned out to be an idiot off the field. Amari Spievey made the transition in DET and so did Charles Godfrey in CAR. Both of those guys were Cover 2 Corners at Iowa and only Bradley Fletcher had the skill to stay at Corner coming out of Iowa for STL.

Then, there have also been the guys who could never do it but had the talent like Mike Mickens and Deangelo Smith out of Cincinnatti a few years ago. I thought Jerome Murphy out of USF would make the switch, but he continues to bounce around the league trying to play CB. He is in WAS now, but he should be a S IMHO, not a NFL CB.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #138
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Texas WR Marquise Goodwin continued his good form in the game after a great week of practice. He has that kind of speed that would make Chris Johnson blush.

Anyone know more about him? He stuck out in practices to me. Isn't he the guy getting compared to Mike Wallace?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #139
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,106

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Texas WR Marquise Goodwin continued his good form in the game after a great week of practice. He has that kind of speed that would make Chris Johnson blush.

Anyone know more about him? He stuck out in practices to me. Isn't he the guy getting compared to Mike Wallace?
I am leery of him a little, but he could be a similar player to TY Hilton at the next level. He is going to have to be a returner at first and then get some WR snaps IMHO.

The kid who was lights out in Mobile was Wheaton. He was the only guy who routinely got the better out of Trufant all week. I would be real down with finding a spot for him as a slot in this offense....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #140
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I am leery of him a little, but he could be a similar player to TY Hilton at the next level. He is going to have to be a returner at first and then get some WR snaps IMHO.

The kid who was lights out in Mobile was Wheaton. He was the only guy who routinely got the better out of Trufant all week. I would be real down with finding a spot for him as a slot in this offense....
Maybe it is just the Al Davis in me, but his track speed can't be ignored He is rumored to be a sub 4.3 guy.

I also liked Wheaton and Tavarres King during drills.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #141
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,109

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Welcome aboard the Wheaton train folks. Told ya ****ing so.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #142
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,106

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Maybe it is just the Al Davis in me, but his track speed can't be ignored He is rumored to be a sub 4.3 guy.

I also liked Wheaton and Tavarres King during drills.
Hilton was a more polished 4.3 guy who had legit Return Ability coming out. I really see Goodwin as a less polished Hilton. Now, that being said, Hilton had more yards and TD's than any other rookie WR last year....

Personally, I would want Wheaton (low 4.4 speed) who is also a very good blocker more than Goodwin because he can be a plug and Play slot WR from day one. Goodwin will take more time to impact than Wheaton and Hilton at the next level. He is still raw, and Manning does not like RAW
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #143
NickStixx
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I understand that this is a deep CB draft, but IMO Poyer is the 2nd best CB behind Milliner. If we do end up moving Irving to MLB as someone was saying the Denver Post is reporting, then I think secondary is where we need to start looking. Unless Kawann Short is there at 28 (which I doubt) then to me Poyer seems like an obvious pick, unless you want just another "guy" as CB.
And Mediator12, I would bet Poyer is gone before our 2nd rd pick. I bet he is gone in the 1st round.
I would then go DT in the 2nd rd, and Safety in the 3rd if Jonathan Cyprien is available, that would be great.
If Ryan Swope is there in the 4th rd, I would then love that pick for our 4th rounder.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #144
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Poyer isn't better then Rhodes IMO and Swope had the smallest hands out of any WR at the Senior Bowl. I liked him prior to that
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #145
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Hilton was a more polished 4.3 guy who had legit Return Ability coming out. I really see Goodwin as a less polished Hilton. Now, that being said, Hilton had more yards and TD's than any other rookie WR last year....

Personally, I would want Wheaton (low 4.4 speed) who is also a very good blocker more than Goodwin because he can be a plug and Play slot WR from day one. Goodwin will take more time to impact than Wheaton and Hilton at the next level. He is still raw, and Manning does not like RAW
I don't disagree with your thoughts here. I do know that almost every senior bowl recap site I go to says Goodwin ran nothing but polished routes and are making scouts go back and watch him. Going from what I saw as well in limited viewing allowed I would have to agree with what they are saying.

I'm perfectly on board with Wheaton as well FYI. You don't need to sale him to me.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #146
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,106

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
I understand that this is a deep CB draft, but IMO Poyer is the 2nd best CB behind Milliner. If we do end up moving Irving to MLB as someone was saying the Denver Post is reporting, then I think secondary is where we need to start looking. Unless Kawann Short is there at 28 (which I doubt) then to me Poyer seems like an obvious pick, unless you want just another "guy" as CB.
And Mediator12, I would bet Poyer is gone before our 2nd rd pick. I bet he is gone in the 1st round.
I would then go DT in the 2nd rd, and Safety in the 3rd if Jonathan Cyprien is available, that would be great.
If Ryan Swope is there in the 4th rd, I would then love that pick for our 4th rounder.
I think Poyer is a first round CB in most years, but this year he will have to run a low 4.4 or better to secure that. I also am not sure he is the second best pure CB in this draft at all. He might be the fifth. Still have not seen enough film to say where I would rank him.

As far as where he is drafted, no one has a clue right now. It all depends on where these guys all stack up eventually once the process is over. One thing I learned a long time ago, is never project individual guys this early in the process. The DL and CB positions are so deep this year, first round talent will bleed to the middle of the second round at both positions and maybe almost to the end of the second.

Alphonzo Dennard is the perfect example. He was late first, early second at this point last year, and then he ran a 4.55 forty at the combine and dropped to the seventh round along with his injury history. Same thing could happen to Poyer. However, I really like him and I would be fine getting him in the second round. He is my third favorite on gamefilm so far, and he looked terrific in Mobile.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #147
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Dennard punched a cop right before the draft as well. I think that was the biggest reason for his drop.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #148
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,106

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Dennard punched a cop right before the draft as well. I think that was the biggest reason for his drop.
True Dat!

Bond was set at $5,000 on Monday for former Nebraska cornerback Alfonzo Dennard, an NFL draft prospect who is accused of punching a police officer over the weekend. Dennard is charged with third-degree felony assault of a police officer. Police say he struck the officer during a disturbance outside a Lincoln bar about 2:15 a.m. Saturday. Dennard was dressed in a dark blue jail jumpsuit during a hearing that lasted about a minute. He was released from Lancaster County Jail early in the evening after posting $500. ''We're glad to get him out of jail,'' said his attorney, Terry Daugherty. He declined further comment. Dennard's next court appearance is scheduled for May 15. If convicted, he could face five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said Monday that Dennard never caused him any problems during his four years with the Cornhuskers. When a reporter suggested it was a bad time for Dennard to run afoul of the law, Pelini deadpanned, ''Ya think?'' Dennard was the 2011 Big Ten defensive back of the year and has been projected to be a second-or third-round pick in this week's draft. NFL.com draft analyst Gil Brandt said if Dennard drops from the third to fourth round because of the arrest, it could cost him about $300,000 in salary over a standard four-year rookie contract. Brandt said some teams might hesitate to take a player with a criminal record because NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has made it known he wants to the league to project a good image. Dennard and South Carolina receiver Alshon Jeffery were ejected from the Capital One Bowl for taking swings at each other. Lincoln police said officers tried to break up a fight between Dennard and a 22-year-old man outside the bar. Dennard allegedly hit the man before punching in the head an officer who tried to intervene. - AP Sports

He had already dropped 2 rounds though due to his slow 40....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #149
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,109

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

I would go Rhodes @ 28 over Poyer in a heart beat. I would be willing to wager that the Top 5 corners (or so) on most people's boards are going to be gone before we are picking again in round two. It may be a solid year for that position, but that doesn't mean those good guys are going to be there when we are selecting. I don't think taking a corner @ #28 (especially if it's Rhodes) is a bad value at all.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #150
NickStixx
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I would go Rhodes @ 28 over Poyer in a heart beat. I would be willing to wager that the Top 5 corners (or so) on most people's boards are going to be gone before we are picking again in round two. It may be a solid year for that position, but that doesn't mean those good guys are going to be there when we are selecting. I don't think taking a corner @ #28 (especially if it's Rhodes) is a bad value at all.
I agree with this!
2 weeks ago, I was all about Rhodes. Then last week I started watching more Poyer tape, and then his performance at the Senior Bowl was good. So I'm leaning more towards Poyer now. But I would also be happy with Rhodes as well. Rhodes is probably a better overall athlete and will run a faster 40 time.
But yeah I doubt any of the top guys will be there at our 2nd rd pick no matter how deep this draft is for CB.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Denver Broncos