The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #51
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
you're going to have to trust me on it, brohan. or we can regale each other with tales of Bronco teams of yore. whatever works for you.

I agree McGahee is a plodder at this point. But, again, if we are speaking in terms of upgrading via FA (why else would we be discussing bringing any of these guys in?) why replace one plodder with a less talented plodder? Moreno's not a plodder. He's not a burner, but he's shifty and has the ability to make plays in the open space.
Just throwing the scenario out there of what could be done..you can cut McGahee ($3 million) or Moreno ($1.7 million), even both. I think any of those backs could be adequate cheap depth options, and you could draft a RB and save $3+ million. Or we could pursue an upgrade in SJax. But it would be about money and or improvement, that's why we talk free agents.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #52
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

These all sound great, but none will happen unless they do a discount deal to play with Peyton. These are all guys who will be wanting good money and aside from Peyton, Elway has shown no desire to sign big money free agents. He is building with the draft and using free agency as a stop gap. Smaller money and short term deals are what John wants to give.

The Shanahan deals of the past are gone.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #53
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

After breaking the bank on Manning, I'm not getting my hopes up that we'll sign any stud this year in Free Agency. What we will do....is sign a handful of guys that are willing to sign 2-3yr deals at $1m to $2.5m/yr.

Needs:

DT
MLB
CB
WR
Guard/Tackle
RB

I'm hoping we go front 7, interior Oline with our first 3 picks. Then, pick up a WR in the 4th and add more depth.

If we could get 1-2 starters in FA that would be great...but, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #54
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I would focus on making the defense an absolutely bomber unit. I don't think adding offensive players is going to give much return on investment. With Manning, I think the offense is what it is, and that to get over the hump within the Manning 2 year window we need to make the defense the unit to carry the team in the playoffs.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #55
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I would focus on making the defense an absolutely bomber unit. I don't think adding offensive players is going to give much return on investment. With Manning, I think the offense is what it is, and that to get over the hump within the Manning 2 year window we need to make the defense the unit to carry the team in the playoffs.
Still need a RB with secure hands that can pick up 3rd down runs and be a goal line force to take pressure off Peyton and increase drive times to let the D stay fresh
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #56
mopatt24
Seasoned Veteran

Even with the way the offense turned out with manning, it still needs some help. Moreno will stay I believe, his pass protection from that position is valuable as was all saw against the Ravens. His ability carrying the ball as a reliable back is still questioned. Only Chris Ivory and Reggie Bush interest me, from that list. ( Isn't Ivory only a RFA anyway? )
Reggie Bush would be a good addition for a Manning lead offense, IMO.
mopatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #57
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

RB and DT in Free Agency. Everything else can be drafted.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #58
g6matty

can someone explain to me what a restricted free agent is
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #59
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Still need a RB with secure hands that can pick up 3rd down runs and be a goal line force to take pressure off Peyton and increase drive times to let the D stay fresh
Alternatively we need an OC willing to let Peyton throw the ball on 3rd and short, or 2nd and short.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #60
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
can someone explain to me what a restricted free agent is
They can sign with any team but the team that has the right of said player has a week to match the offer. Players can be assigned picks. Like Mike Wallace last year would have cost anyone that signed him a first rounder. Also the cost of a RFA tender is less I believe. Mike Wallace tender last year was only 2.7 million dollars, while franchise tags for a WR is 10.3 million dollars.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #61
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Daryl Smith (JAC) - OLB - Playing only the final two games of the 2012 season due to a groin injury, Daryl Smith should still make a splash in free agency as one of the best 4- 3 outside linebackers in the league and a cornerstone of the Jaguars defense in recent years. Though he'll be 31 heading into next year, he remains a good athlete, strong in coverage, and reliable in playing the run. The Jaguars will pursue him this offseason and could feasibly lay the best offer on the table, but no one could fault him for wanting to finish his career playing for a contender. With so many variables at play, it's difficult to gauge what may unfold, but someone could get a steal at an underappreciated position

I think he fits our new scheme and I think he plays the role that JDR wanted from the get go out of DJ Williams. MLB on running downs and slide over to play SLB when Miller lines up to rush the passer. I think he would be the best move we can really do to address the LB position this off season. Poor MLB draft and FA's available make it hard to get a true 3 down MLB this year anyways.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #62
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Alternatively we need an OC willing to let Peyton throw the ball on 3rd and short, or 2nd and short.
True, but we need the running capabilitt as well for balance and to keep defenses at bay
Old 01-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #63
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
RB and DT in Free Agency. Everything else can be drafted.
What is this board's fascination and desire for used up backs? RB is The one position a mid round draft pick can come in and be a starter and contributor to a team. Dump Willis and Ball and draft a guy, not get another old pair of legs to replace an old pair of legs
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #64
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
What is this board's fascination and desire for used up backs? RB is The one position a mid round draft pick can come in and be a starter and contributor to a team. Dump Willis and Ball and draft a guy, not get another old pair of legs to replace an old pair of legs
I agree i don't get it. The media said rbs not worth high picks and fans run with it. Meanwhile the best backs usually taken in the draft and not FA retreads. So maybe you don't have to take one in round 1 but drafting rbs is not stupid. Its smart because you get them fresh instead of dealing with tired legs.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #65
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
This may not be a popular choice here but I still think Richard Seymour can play some football at a high level.
Ugh ... unpopular is right, he's a Patriot and a Raider. That makes him a 2-time loser.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #66
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
We need an RB that can pass block day one. This sole reason is going to keep probably Moreno here or get a cheaper servicble vet.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #67
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
We need an RB that can pass block day one. This sole reason is going to keep probably Moreno here or get a cheaper servicble vet.
Pass blocking can be taught. It isn't something only select guys can do. Pass blocking is about knowing the plays and where to be. Draft a guy and teach him.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #68
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Pass blocking can be taught.
that is not necessarily true. they got dudes named offensive linemen, and some of them are all pros and some of them are not. there are plenty of RBs in the draft who have literally never been asked to block in their lives. none of them ended up playing D1 ball because they were talented blockers, now all of a sudden you think you can teach them to immediately be good at it? maybe you can, for some of them. maybe you can't.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #69
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

On offense one of my primary aims would be to get an upgrade either in the slot or at receiving TE.

Tamme and Stokely are steady players who don't drop many balls but neither causes a real matchup problem underneath. The Ravens played 2 deep safeties pretty much all day to take away Thomas and Decker and our other receiving options weren't good enough to step up and win what should have been favourable match-ups.

Welker is the one that jumps out as being a solution to this problem, but I'm not sure we'll have the cash.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #70
socalorado
Ring of Famer

I threw out Chris Ivorys name over a month ago here, but now i am a little hesitant.
As a RFA, he would more than likely cost DEN no less than a 4th round pick, and he
has had more injuries than i originally thought. No so sure hes worth it now.
I think DEN could just draft a RB by the 4th round that can do anything Ivory can.
And pass on Chung. Jeez, hes terrible.
1 of these guys would be great.
Dashon Goldson
William Moore
Danny Amendola.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #71
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I would be happy with 2nd tier FA DT, Sammie Lee Hill, out of Detroit. He's a solid rotation DT that brings additional beef to the middle of the line. If we resign Vickerson and sign Hill, we have about 600 pounds of beef holding up the middle of the line.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #72
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I would be happy with 2nd tier FA DT, Sammie Lee Hill, out of Detroit. He's a solid rotation DT that brings additional beef to the middle of the line. If we resign Vickerson and sign Hill, we have about 600 pounds of beef holding up the middle of the line.
Another guy i have in my mocks and would have loved to have stolen as a RFA last year! DET wanted a 4th for Hill i think. Dude is underrated, and gets very little love, but hes a beast on the field. I actually think hes outplayed Suh at times this year, and deserves props. He would make for a monster wall that Methwolfe, Miller and Doom could work with. Good call.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #73
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
that is not necessarily true. they got dudes named offensive linemen, and some of them are all pros and some of them are not. there are plenty of RBs in the draft who have literally never been asked to block in their lives. none of them ended up playing D1 ball because they were talented blockers, now all of a sudden you think you can teach them to immediately be good at it? maybe you can, for some of them. maybe you can't.
This and bigtime. Most of the third down backs coming out only run patterns in college and from watching them try and pass block at the senior bowl this week, its going to take some time to learn this skill. And, it is an effort skill not a technical skill. It requires a desire to not let the QB get hit and most of these guys only want to catch passes. It's an attitude thing, more than just learning how to do it. There are not that many good pass protection qualified RB's in the league, let alone coming out of college offenses...
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #74
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Absolutely. DT has too much money tied up at DT, and even though they would want to keep him SUH and Fairley simply are going to prevent them from keeping him at a market price in FA. Add in the DE's who are getting paid and they have almost 30% of their cap in DL already. Way too much money in one area for a team.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #75
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Absolutely. DT has too much money tied up at DT, and even though they would want to keep him SUH and Fairley simply are going to prevent them from keeping him at a market price in FA. Add in the DE's who are getting paid and they have almost 30% of their cap in DL already. Way too much money in one area for a team.
If we pair him with Michael Johnson out of Cinncy, then we would have very solid DL on this team.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote