The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default OT: Do you actually buy software?

So I just got my laptop back from getting repaired and I'm having to install a bunch of software to do some work. I'm grabbing photoshop, MS Office, and daemon tools to install them at the current moment. If I paid for everything, that'd be well over $1000 for pretty much just two programs. I'm just curious if anyone actually pays for these things on their home PCs? My philosophy is that these things are really catered to the professional market and they understand the prices are unreasonable and the home users will just pirate them.

In a way, you might even argue that using them at home makes people more proficient in them and makes it more of a necessity for professional environments to buy them.

Anyways, just curious, do you guys pay for this software? Is there a cutoff where you draw the line? Or if you can't afford it, do you just not have it?
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
So I just got my laptop back from getting repaired and I'm having to install a bunch of software to do some work. I'm grabbing photoshop, MS Office, and daemon tools to install them at the current moment. If I paid for everything, that'd be well over $1000 for pretty much just two programs. I'm just curious if anyone actually pays for these things on their home PCs? My philosophy is that these things are really catered to the professional market and they understand the prices are unreasonable and the home users will just pirate them.

In a way, you might even argue that using them at home makes people more proficient in them and makes it more of a necessity for professional environments to buy them.

Anyways, just curious, do you guys pay for this software? Is there a cutoff where you draw the line? Or if you can't afford it, do you just not have it?
I buy software. Although I have not had to buy some as I have 2 licenses that came with the work copy.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
DenverBound
Perennial Pro-bowler

CotY

If you pay for software, your doing it wrong.

The only software that I'll pay for is from smaller startup companies that I really want to support. Microsoft, Adobe, or any other big name Co can kiss me, and tell me that you love me..

... I said they could bIow me... Random edit FTW..

Last edited by DenverBound; 01-26-2013 at 06:54 AM..
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound View Post
If you pay for software, your doing it wrong.

The only software that I'll pay for is from smaller startup companies that I really want to support. Microsoft, Adobe, or any other big name Co can kiss me, and tell me that you love me..

... I said they could bIow me... Random edit FTW..

I, for a minute considered actually paying for Daemon tools as I believe it's fairly cheap and very handy but then the irony of paying for a piece of software which is almost exclusively used for pirating software was just too much. Or it was just my way of defending it in my head. Either way, yeah, I just can't imagine hundreds of dollars in software is targeted at the home market.

I actually got a MS Office light with this computer. The word and excel are ad-based and it has no powerpoint or access. I thought that was really strange.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

That's some crazy rationalization for copyright infringement.

1. all of those companies have versions that are directly targeted at home users. Adobe has Photoshop Elements, Microsoft has Office Home & Student, Daemon Tools has multiple varieties including Lite, and range from all of ~$20-$50.

2. all of these products have comparable freeware alternatives. Photoshop can be replaced via Gimp and Paint.Net. MS Office can be replaced with LibreOffice. Daemon Tools' disc burning features are more than replaced with ImgBurn and the image mounting feature is matched by ISODisk.

So because you're too lazy to investigate the free alternatives you instead rationalize your illicit downloading and use of copyrighted software because you fantasize a world where you aren't the target audience.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
slick7
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Use linux. It's all free.

I've used Ubuntu for years. http://www.ubuntu.com/

I've also got a laptop with Linux mint. http://www.linuxmint.com/

Check them out.
slick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
That's some crazy rationalization for copyright infringement.

1. all of those companies have versions that are directly targeted at home users. Adobe has Photoshop Elements, Microsoft has Office Home & Student, Daemon Tools has multiple varieties including Lite, and range from all of ~$20-$50.

2. all of these products have comparable freeware alternatives. Photoshop can be replaced via Gimp and Paint.Net. MS Office can be replaced with LibreOffice. Daemon Tools' disc burning features are more than replaced with ImgBurn and the image mounting feature is matched by ISODisk.

So because you're too lazy to investigate the free alternatives you instead rationalize your illicit downloading and use of copyrighted software because you fantasize a world where you aren't the target audience.
So I take it you are a payer. Awesome.

I actually have a copy of MS Office somewhere that I bought back in the day. It was 07 and only cost $20 through the Army deal. I went to buy a student copy a few years ago and it was up to $95 or something.

As for the photoshop, that one I am aware that there's other alternatives but, again, it's a mix of wanting to be proficient on the one everyone uses and already knowing how to use this one. Which do you think Adobe would prefer (serious question), me pirating theirs at home or just using a competitors for free? Either way, they're not getting money. Which would they prefer?

And Daemon tools... like I said, they exist for piraters. They can hardly take a high road here. I guess my question above also applies to them, though. Would they prefer I pirate them or use a competitor for free? I know you aren't in their heads but take a guess.

And I was just posting this out of curiosity while I'm installing. For the sake of making you feel good, I'm willing to say I'm just using everything on the trial period.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick7 View Post
Use linux. It's all free.

I've used Ubuntu for years. http://www.ubuntu.com/

I've also got a laptop with Linux mint. http://www.linuxmint.com/

Check them out.
I've been intrigued by them as I hear they've really come up from what they were 10+ years ago. It's just such an investment in time, effort, and the risk of compatibility issues which stop me. One day when a crashed computer won't be the worst thing to happen, ever, I might sit down with them. I've been very intrigued.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So I take it you are a payer. Awesome.
So specifically listing the free alternatives makes you think I actually pay for the industry standard offerings?

Quote:
I actually have a copy of MS Office somewhere that I bought back in the day. It was 07 and only cost $20 through the Army deal. I went to buy a student copy a few years ago and it was up to $95 or something.
And? MS still offers sales for home use to the military, school faculty and students, and even many large license holding private companies. Also, for how frequently most people use Office do you really think $95 is all that much? You probably pay more for that per month for cable/satellite, and the NFL/DirecTV feels they're entitled to over three times that just to watch football games over the span of 17 weeks. I'd say it's a pretty "high value" offering relative to time spent working with it.

Quote:
As for the photoshop, that one I am aware that there's other alternatives but, again, it's a mix of wanting to be proficient on the one everyone uses and already knowing how to use this one. Which do you think Adobe would prefer (serious question), me pirating theirs at home or just using a competitors for free? Either way, they're not getting money. Which would they prefer?
Seeings how you pirating it helps build the culture that steals them of sales, yes they would. Also, that (people using the free alternative) on a large scale would prompt them to offer more features and better pricing for Elements, as the market for the product would be more quantifiable.

Quote:
And Daemon tools... like I said, they exist for piraters. They can hardly take a high road here. I guess my question above also applies to them, though. Would they prefer I pirate them or use a competitor for free? I know you aren't in their heads but take a guess.
First of all, there are other uses for Daemon tools. Second, do you think it's completely moral to steal anything you want from someone's home once they're convicted of a crime? Last I checked handing out punitive damages for participating in criminal activity was the jurisdiction of the government, not individuals.

Quote:
And I was just posting this out of curiosity while I'm installing. For the sake of making you feel good, I'm willing to say I'm just using everything on the trial period.
I don't give a **** what you do man, doesn't bother me one way or the other. I'm just pointing out that you're an intellectually dishonest thief who is using a message board to simultaneously validate and brag about your crime. A crime that any 7 year old can perpetrate, as well as spot the immorality of.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
nyuk nyuk

MSOffice isn't worth paying for. You can get free versions that can open/make MSOffice documents such as Open Office.

I paid $15 for a Droid version of MSOffice for my tablet. I forget the name off the top of my head. It makes/edits .docs and whatnot. I think it's Office Suite Pro.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wasn't bragging, just curious. I just don't wanna cause any stress in anyone's life but I'm apparently stressing you out.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
Bacchus

Quote:

Almost everything I install is free. Microsoft word etc. being the exception. And actually, I did not buy the microsoft i got a friends 2010 version.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
Bacchus

Here is the free anti-virus I use. It is very good.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage
Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #14
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Here is the free anti-virus I use. It is very good.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage
I usually run without an anti-virus at all. The only times I've had a use for one were after I was infected and they are almost completely useless then. It seems like the best use of an anti-virus is to make you feel secure.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
CSU Husker
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
I usually run without an anti-virus at all. The only times I've had a use for one were after I was infected and they are almost completely useless then. It seems like the best use of an anti-virus is to make you feel secure.
Did you ever think that maybe you got infected because you didn't have an AV running? A quality AV (not norton, mcafee, etc) will save your ass a ton of headaches.
CSU Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
Bacchus

Quote:
That is risky, google and FB are loaded with viruses.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Take 2 classes online from your local community college that will help you in your career. Then get educational pricing for said software products.

As for Photoshop and/or Adobe, check out their monthly Creative Cloud Webservice.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #18
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

It's an aptitude test. Guess what it means if you have to pay.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I'm not a cheap bastard criminal. Yes.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
It's an aptitude test. Guess what it means if you have to pay.
That you have a high aptitude towards a meaningful ethical standard for yourself?

Better yet, what does it say if you're the halfwit you thinks it's easier to pirate than to get any of the very good free alternatives?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #21
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

99% of all software a home user might actually need has an open source alternative to the commercial rip off.

OpenOffice, The Gimp, etc.

Unless you are
a.) Trying to get a job that requires a particular piece of software (i.e. Photoshop)

or

b.) like wasting money

then just use open source.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Its an Inverse Relationship those that Do pay for software Don't pay for sex.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

So then you have justified stealing?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I can't afford photoshop so i use the free program GIMP. Not as good but i get by with it. i can't lie though i am no better because I have downloaded a lot of free music.

We basically justified a way of stealing because its so easy and not looked on like regular theiving from a store or something. Its a great experiment on human behavoir.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #25
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Its an Inverse Relationship those that Do pay for software Don't pay for sex.
dont kid yourself, anybody that has sex, pays for it, some pay in cash directly, others pay in dinners, shoes, jewelry. Sometimes i think cash directly might be easier.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote