The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #76
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
For better or worse we have to upgrade the team as much as possible, depending what happens in FA, I think TE is the logical pick. We are in the lower reaches of the 1st round, so we are not getting a top CB, OT, DE - those guys will be drafted in the top half of the 1st round. DT is a valid option and I think we could go that way. MLB is difficult to predict, lately we have seen an emphasis on the MLB position early in the 1st round which may take the top 2 or 3 candidates out of our reach. TE has become a power position in the NFL as more and more offenses are abandoning the FB position, having a TE who can consistently be used to create mismatches against LBs and CBs is very powerful, look at the playoffs this year, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Gonzalez, Vernon Davies all made it to the conference championship round.
Fair enough, but I don't think that TE is a position that is going to be dynamically upgraded with this draft. I wouldn't classify the Standford or Notre Dame TE's who are the best available to be in the mold of a Gronkowski, Gonzalez or Davis that will have that sort of difference making capability for our team. They probably go around the area we are picking, but I hope we pass.

Tamme and Dreesen caught ~ 90 balls, 1,000 yards and 10 TD's this year. If we didn't have anyone coming back for next year, I would consider it -- but I would be that there will be better prospects at positions we could use more help at come #28. Just don't see a rookie TE making that much of a splash on our team going into next season. I'm sure Julius Thomas finally gets axed like we should and we will have Tamme, Dreesen, Green and a rookie (hopefully not a high pick) to go through the motions.

Looks like the team did check out Michael Williams the other day. Definitely not a receiving TE either. Big guy who can block well in the trenches. Being 6'5 and 260 + in the red zone would be a nice possibility. I think we are in a pretty tough spot in the draft. We won't have a chance at the legit first round guys so basically we are going to be looking at the second tier talent level guys. There is a whole pool of them. If that is the case, trade down like we did again last year and pick up an extra pick or two.

Save that value, keep those resources and get players. No more of this, "trade down and get picks to trade up with them" BS like we pulled multiple times last year. Unless you think that kid is going to be a difference maker on Day 1, no trading up.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #77
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Per Scott Wright @ NFLDC -- Denver Broncos were seen talking to these players Tuesday:

EJ Manuel, QB
Zaviar Gooden, OLB
Michael Williams, TE
Dwayne Gratz, CB
Jonathan Cyprien, S
Markus Wheaton, WR

Some interesting prospects!
So a third string QB.
Another OLB.
A blocking TE.
Gratz has looked OK from the limited stuff they show.
Haven't seen Cyprien
I like Wheaton though he hasn't been the best WR out of the stuff I have seen this week so far.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #78
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Cyprien is interesting.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #79
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
So a third string QB.
Another OLB.
A blocking TE.
Haven't seen Cyprien
I like Wheaton though he hasn't been the best WR out of the stuff I have seen this week so far.
Yeah.

Not interested in EJ, even though he got better this year (FSU fan) -- but I don't disagree with the sentiments of some here who think Elway might use a pick each year to develop a QB. Hanie is probably on his way out. Wouldn't mind using a later pick to get another developmental guy. Not Manuel though.

Only watched a few Mizzou games this year, but Gooden stood out because of his speed and athleticism. Was a former safety, so it kind of sounds like we have another Wesley Woodyard type project here. Sounds like he could run in the 4.4's -- and has been timed at 4.38 -- which would be absolutely insane. I think Denver will go LB (either ILB or WLB) in the top three rounds of this draft. Most projections have him outside the Top 75-100 from what I've seen.

I haven't seen anything other than highlights of Cyprien, but he profiles as a guy who can be starter and is also a demon on special teams at SS. Everything I have read about him seems pretty good. An intelligent, savvy player. Basically, a better version of David Bruton, but someone who you would actually try starting on the field. I've seen him as high as a Top 5 rated safety on some boards/sites.

Big fan of Wheaton. It seems like he has had a pretty good weak, but got some grief for fumbling after Reddick punched the ball out. I cannot say I saw any Conn games this year, but Gratz has gotten a lot of good reports and reviews lately.

Keep the good posts coming. I'll keep snooping around for some stuff.

Last edited by Requiem; 01-23-2013 at 08:34 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #80
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Yeah.

Not interested in EJ, even though he got better this year (FSU fan) -- but I don't disagree with the sentiments of some here who think Elway might use a pick each year to develop a QB. Hanie is probably on his way out. Wouldn't mind using a later pick to get another developmental guy. Not Manuel though.

Only watched a few Mizzou games this year, but Gooden stood out because of his speed and athleticism. Was a former safety, so it kind of sounds like we have another Wesley Woodyard type project here. Sounds like he could run in the 4.4's -- and has been timed at 4.38 -- which would be absolutely insane. I think Denver will go LB (either ILB or WLB) in the top three rounds of this draft. Most projections have him outside the Top 75-100 from what I've seen.

I haven't seen anything other than highlights of Cyprien, but he profiles as a guy who can be starter and is also a demon on special teams at SS. Everything I have read about him seems pretty good. An intelligent, savvy player. Basically, a better version of David Bruton, but someone who you would actually try starting on the field. I've seen him as high as a Top 5 rated safety on some boards/sites.

Big fan of Wheaton. It seems like he has had a pretty good weak, but got some grief for fumbling after Reddick punched the ball out. I cannot say I saw any Conn games this year, but Gratz has gotten a lot of good reports and reviews lately.

Keep the good posts coming. I'll keep snooping around for some stuff.
I hate the idea of using a draft pick on a QB when we only have 6 of them and we really only need to carry two QBs on the active roster now.

The rest of the guys I really haven't watched much other then Wheaton. If the Mizzou LB is that fast then hell draft him. Still feel its over kill on OLB's though. We kind of need a MLB.

What are your thoughts on the other CB's I have highlighted? They seem to jump out a little bit more then Gratz. Not that he is playing bad from what I have heard.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #81
Bmore Manning

Cyprien looks like a flat out STUD.. So Mike Adams competes with Moore for playing time at FS..
Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #82
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Chris Harper from K State just over powers DB's from what I have seen. Marquise Goodwin WR from Texas looks fast to me. Makes plays seems to be under the radar. No buzz from what I have heard.

Wheaton appears to be the leading WR at the game so far and Trufant is the leading CB.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #83
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I hate the idea of using a draft pick on a QB when we only have 6 of them and we really only need to carry two QBs on the active roster now.
I believe when it's all said and done, we'll have 8 picks. But the two supplemental will probably be a 6th and 7th. If that's the case, we have one each in the first 6 rounds and two in the 7th.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #84
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Datone Jones really looks good to me. Uses his hands well to keep the OL off him. Looks fast off the snap too. Did have trouble with Fisher.

Sylvester Williams had a sweat spin move to blow by his guy. Pretty athletic move for a 300 pound guy.

Brandon Williams is just so good. Just blew right by Winters right off the snap. He had two wins in a row beating his guy

Alex Okafor looks damn near unblockable with his bull rush. Has had good battles with Fisher.

Hugh Thornton OG from Illinois looks good today.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #85
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
I believe when it's all said and done, we'll have 8 picks. But the two supplemental will probably be a 6th and 7th. If that's the case, we have one each in the first 6 rounds and two in the 7th.
That is a good point.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #86
Bmore Manning

Brandon Williams should be proof I am a very strong player evaluator.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #87
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I'm totally digging this Datone Jones kid. Just watched him beat his guy like a drum on back to back plays. Just missed the QB on the first one then strip sacked the next.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #88
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
He looks good in the 11 on 11. Blew up a screen play with good pressure. He had another sack that I seen. Also stuffed a run with Hunt.
Jones has also looked good in the 11 on 11. He beat the TE one on one and force the run inside.

Elway is there watching.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 01-23-2013 at 02:07 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #89
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Draft Brian Schwenke please.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #90
NickStixx

Quote:
He looks good in the 11 on 11. Blew up a screen play with good pressure. He had another sack that I seen. Also stuffed a run with Hunt.
Jones has also looked good in the 11 on 11. He beat the TE one on one and force the run inside.

Elway is there watching.
Hey man just curious how are you watching all of this?? I must be out of the loop...
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #91
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
Hey man just curious how are you watching all of this?? I must be out of the loop...
I have them taped from NFL Network. I'm watching the south one now. I'll have to rewatch it and make comments later.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #92
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
You were one of the guys who said Manti Te'o should be a top 5 pick.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #93
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
You were one of the guys who said Manti Te'o should be a top 5 pick.
Should be or would be? Care to find that for me?
Te'o has impressive talent, not sure what your getting at?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #94
Bmore Manning

Price you don't know how to evaluate ****.

Think your confusing third round Star for top five talent.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #95
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Should be or would be? Care to find that for me?
Te'o has impressive talent, not sure what your getting at?
You and other's were top 5 loco over an MLB that has 15-32 talent. Te'o is good, but not top 5 by any stretch of the imagination...in any draft. I caught a lot of flack for saying that you guys were wrong. Payback time.

Also, I wouldn't go patting yourself on the back about Star. I said I would take him about 20-32, based on his stats, in a normal draft. Then I watched him play and agreed that probably deserved to be drafted higher than that, especially without elite prospects at other positions in this draft. Please don't get it twisted.

You, on the other hand, say he's the best Defensive Lineman since Haloti Ngata. You look on other people's mock drafts and see him in the top 5, so you put him there too. Ngata was drafted #12 overall, and has been All-Pro 5 times...so those are some mighty big shoes to fill. Star is good, but I'm not apesh*t over him. He'll be lucky if he's the best DT in his class, when it's all said and done.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #96
pricejj
jungle

Oh, and BTW...

J.J. Watt runs circles around Star Lotulelei any day of the week. So you might want to rephrase your bull****.

Keep talkin' that trash homeboy.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #97
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Lol **** off price you pimped so many players then went back and deleted the ones that missed. You are ****ing joke.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #98
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
You don't know anything about me tough guy. Last year I pulled hard for Derek Wolfe, when no one else knew anything about him...and got clowned repeatedly for it. If I recall correctly you were one of the ones who was going crazy for Jerel Worthy at #25. He was picked #51, and for good reason.

Watch which dog you kick next time. He'll remember, and sooner or later you'll get bit.
You really are a moron. I actually evaluate players you read stats. Multiple people have said this to you. I actually corrected you that Worthy would be a 3-4 DE and you said Pittsburgh would draft him as a NT. I hated Worthy! My preference was for Janoris Jenkins last year, I also wanted two gapping DTs and knew we would run that scheme, hence I liked Brandon Thompson and Josh Chapman.

Your flip flopping ass just called Short an average prospect, then said he was good when you got schooled on arm length, which is another indicator you only read stats.

I have been nice to you on here, and tried to help you, but you have come at me for the last time. I'm going to call out every BS post you do. Thread deleting, flip flopper.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #99
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
So a third string QB.
Another OLB.
A blocking TE.
Haven't seen Cyprien
It is the Senior Bowl. Every team is going to talk to every player at some point, so there real isn't a reason to get excited or alarmed at this point. It more interesting in who they bring in for private workouts and schedule time at the combine.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #100
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default Some random notes

Per The Palm Beach Post, the #Jets met with Tyrann Mathieu a.k.a the 'Honey Badger' at the Senior Bowl practice in Mobile, Alabama today.

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2013practice2.php

Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton was the standout of the day on offense. He caught every pass that came his way, even when not perfectly thrown. He could be seen verbally leading the WR group and helping others as the practice went on. His most impressive catch was a pass Tavarres King went up for, missed, and Patton caught it instead. Reminded of Vincent Brown when he was in Mobile.

Southeastern Louisiana CB Robert Alford had a good day of practice. He matched up numerous times with top WR Terrence Williams and though and got beat for a touchdown the first time. As the day progressed, Alford was more physical. He also looked fluid and turned his hips naturally. Broke on the ball well with his make-up speed when needed. Struggled early but grew with coaching throughout the practice

San Diego St. CB Leon McFadden was the shining star of the secondary during the practice. In the interception drill, McFadden made a nice catch above his head at one point. He was extremely physical every single play and came away with two interceptions when he anticipated throws. Pushed around Cobi Hamilton in a 1-on-1 situation to break up a pass as well

Missouri OLB Zavier Gooden is super athletic with excellent speed and the range to go sideline-to-sideline. Gooden won't be a fit for everyone but should profile as a terrific weakside linebacker at the next level

Denver - Fresno State safety Philip Thomas
http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2013meetings5.php

One scout that has had success finding running backs is a fan of Gators running back Mike Gillislee. He believes that Gillislee could reward the team that drafts him with the ability to play on all three downs. The scout said that Gillislee is a good worker who really prepared himself well in the weight room for the 2012 season when he finally had a chance to be the starter with Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps out of Gainesville

Denver - Georgia safety Shawn Williams and Texas A&M wide receiver Ryan Swope

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: