The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #51
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Am i the only one hoping Tavon austin can come and play the slot here?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #52
nyuk nyuk

I've been waiting word for a resigning of Stokey, though I don't know how many more years he has in him. Peyton loves him, what more reason do we need to keep him?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #53
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
We don't have the money. We were #2 in scoring this year. I'd like a stronger defense.
I agree though I'm worried about the health of our offensive backfield. McGahee is getting up there.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #54
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Re-sign own players and build through the draft, don't need or want Welker.
I'm willing to bet you don't even know who the highest paid DT on our team was last year. Also with the % of snaps that our starting 3 DTs rotated last year had a combined salary total of a whopping 2.6 million dollars between them should show you what you need to understand about how Denver spends money. Toss in Wolfe's contract and you are STILL below 3 million dollars for 4 DTs. That is the base contracts. Vickerson 1.875, Bannan 1, Unrein 415K, and Wolfe 957K. Is the total with bonuses of our DT rotation. Don't count on it getting much higher this year either because of our scheme.

Denver will resign its own players and still sign a skill player you can pretty much take that to the bank.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #55
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

ELway will follow the formula that led to back to back SB wins .. we are already beginning to rewrite that script almost to a 'T' with season #1!

Add a definite improvement at the thunder RB spot for a mainstay with a backup capable of holding his own and keeping the O on track should RB1 go down for any length of time. Include a beefed -up Hillman as the speed burner with a full offseason and camp under his belt with Peyton in year 2 and I expect to see major improvements from him with 12 to 15 touches a game in both the run and play action/screen pass game. Just not counting on him being a major pass protect guy for Peyton.

Shore up the secondary and find Champs replacement in the draft, though Champ should be fine at CB for one more year before any consideration of him movign to Safety happened. He had one bad half this year, unfortunately at the wrong time, but he basically shut down Smith in the second half after adjustments.

A middleLB either in Nate Irving if he can continue to improve, but more likely from another draft pick or FA is a must and two more solid Dline prospects split between a top 3 round draft pick and a solid FA.

Adding in a few backup Oline guys that are a good fit and another real solid slot guy to trade off with Stoke and we are good to go all the way.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #56
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

March seems so far away...

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #57
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Welker is a great WR but I'd say no to spending 8+ million for the guy. Think we can add a nice young speedy slot guy in the draft. Rather we sign a DT that can make a difference in the middle. If you have VonDoom on the edges, you have to push up the middle so the QB can't step up in the pocket and make the throws. And I don't mean a big worthless fat guy who can "plug" the middle, I want a guy who can push the pocket back and disrupt things inside.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #58
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post

A middleLB either in Nate Irving if he can continue to improve, but more likely from another draft pick or FA is a must and two more solid Dline prospects split between a top 3 round draft pick and a solid FA.
Yeah, I don't think Irving is the answer at MLB. He hasn't shown me anything really. He's had his chances and hasn't show much at all. IMO he's not much better then Mays. He's out of position often and doesn't tackle all that great. Definitely think we need to draft a nice MLB. It's been forever since we've had an AL Wilson type of guy shoring up the middle for us.

If there is something I think the 2 teams in the Superbowl have in common is that they both have really good LB's pretty much in all positions. I like Woody and Von but we need the other piece. Thought DJ could be that guy but I haven't really seen much from him since his return.

Our weakness is definitely right up the middle, from DT, to MLB, to Safety. TE's killed us, so did lack of pressure up the middle and eventually deep down the field. We need a DT, MLB and a Safety.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #59
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I'm willing to bet you don't even know who the highest paid DT on our team was last year.
Ty Warren? Doom was compensated pretty well last year but he is DE.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #60
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yeah, I don't think Irving is the answer at MLB. He hasn't shown me anything really. He's had his chances and hasn't show much at all. IMO he's not much better then Mays. He's out of position often and doesn't tackle all that great. Definitely think we need to draft a nice MLB. It's been forever since we've had an AL Wilson type of guy shoring up the middle for us.

If there is something I think the 2 teams in the Superbowl have in common is that they both have really good LB's pretty much in all positions. I like Woody and Von but we need the other piece. Thought DJ could be that guy but I haven't really seen much from him since his return.

Our weakness is definitely right up the middle, from DT, to MLB, to Safety. TE's killed us, so did lack of pressure up the middle and eventually deep down the field. We need a DT, MLB and a Safety.
Here is the biggest issue with our roster. Linebackers account for 13,954,082 million dollars of our cap from last year. That makes LB's the second highest paid group of our defense. Of our 4 major starters Woodyard, Travathan, Brooking, and Miller they accounted for just 7.649 million dollars of that number. That means the back ups accounted for 6,305,082 million dollars.

Now with the scheme we run we can cut DJ and Mays and still really only need one more starting LB because we need to replace Brooking at MLB. Cutting DJ and Mays saves about 10 million dollars give or take. All but one starting LB is under contract next year and the three starters account for 8,243,000 dollars. Depth still has Steven Johnson at 484,000 and Nate Irving at 728,725. That brings our total to 9,455,725 million with 4,498,357 to spare.

Drafting a MLB at most would cost us 1,200,000 for this season. Which is a possibility given who is a FA this year. Pretty sure that cap money is separate as well.

Also unless we change schemes I don't see Denver spending much more then the 3,505,000 on its rotation of DT's.

Sorry for the long read.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #61
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Ty Warren? Doom was compensated pretty well last year but he is DE.
Base salary yes. Pretty sure he didn't reach any other bonus due to being hurt. He accounted for 1,500,000 million. Right now I could see Justin Bannan who made a million, Sammie Hill who made 1,260,000, Ma'ake Kemoeatu who made 540K after he lost a bonus or Ryan McBean who made just 1 million being brought in for our rotation next year.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #62
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Just a thought, but the Eagles may go 3-4 which would possibly make DeMeco Ryans available. Not known for being great in coverage but possibly better than anything we have? Owed $6.6 million in 2013.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #63
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If you can't throw to a wr like 7-10 times a game he isn't worth a huge contract. DT will get a huge deal in Denver when the time comes. if you wanted Welker to justify it you have to throw to him a ton. I just don't see broncos needing that.

I think more athletic TE and some more RB's would help manning more.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #64
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Are YOU KIDDING ME? You all do not want the most effective slot WR in history to play with Peyton Manning?

WOW! I know this board HATES the patriots, but Welker is the difference in DEN being a great offense and being the potentially Best ever. Welker and Tamme in the slots with Thomas and Decker outside is a Killer group.

If you can get him you do it IMHO. Now, can you do it and keep the CAP? I get not being able to balance the books, but that dude is so damn underrated and Brady's security blanket. Remember Gronkowski was out yesterday and BAL was able to focus on Welker more.

I say get his to DEN if you can
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
This.

It's a TIGHT window for a SB push. You throw money at Welker, Melton and anyone else who might put you over the hump and massage the cap until Peyton hangs it up.
Pretty much. We have 2-3 year run with Manning left. You do what you can to win now. I think the owner/organization is on board and realizes this. Win now while Denver has a legitimate chance.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #65
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Am i the only one hoping Tavon austin can come and play the slot here?
Tavon Austin would be a perfect fit. Since West Virginia was horrible, down the stretch, I'm hoping that Austin will slide to us...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #66
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Just a thought, but the Eagles may go 3-4 which would possibly make DeMeco Ryans available. Not known for being great in coverage but possibly better than anything we have? Owed $6.6 million in 2013.
Brookings was better than Ryans this year. Both were a huge liability in coverage and Brookings made less. Ryans cannot run anymore.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote