The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #26
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Is it safe enough to survive through? Probably

But why risk it? Have you seen everything there is to see in safer places?

I just can't fathom wanting to go anywhere east of Europe for a vacation.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #27
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Is it safe enough to survive through? Probably

But why risk it? Have you seen everything there is to see in safer places?

I just can't fathom wanting to go anywhere east of Europe for a vacation.
Well, that's boring. What are you scared of?
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #28
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
And if so, is it safe?

If you go on the US state department site it says "yes, al qaeda is active", "yes, stay vigilant" or "yes, try to avoid leaving the cities". Then again, it says similar things about Bali too.

My buddies are doing a trip that involves some desert camping and what not. When I talk to Lebanese and Jordanian friends they all say it's completely safe.

Definitely makes sense to post this on a Denver Broncos message board but what the hey... other than cougar life this is the only board I visit.

are they there under an American Passport?

for the most part locals are not targets in foreign countries.. Americans are.. do you speak the language? if you are not fluent and can not blend in, IMO stay away..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #29
nyuk nyuk

Cougar life?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #30
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I would assume in comparison to Iraq, Iran, Syria, Lebanon and Egypt; Jordan would be perfectly safe. I do question why you would want to go to a desert 4000 miles away to camp.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #31
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

try burning man in Nevada, fun camping
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #32
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Well, that's boring. What are you scared of?
It's only been in the last 3 years or so that I've gotten up the nerve to venture into major American cities. Even then, it's the suburb shopping districts and whatnot. I just figure you only put yourself at risk where necessary.

If there's a real reason he wants to go, that might justify the risk. If he hasn't traveled many places and he's instantly jumping to Jordan, I can't understand that.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #33
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Jordan is the most stable country in the region.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #34
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
And if so, is it safe?

If you go on the US state department site it says "yes, al qaeda is active", "yes, stay vigilant" or "yes, try to avoid leaving the cities". Then again, it says similar things about Bali too.

My buddies are doing a trip that involves some desert camping and what not. When I talk to Lebanese and Jordanian friends they all say it's completely safe.

Definitely makes sense to post this on a Denver Broncos message board but what the hey... other than cougar life this is the only board I visit.
I haven't been to Jordan, but in 2010 I spent 3 weeks in the Palestinian West Bank, and a week in Egypt. I felt safe wherever I went and the people were very friendly. I was working with the US State Department though and had drivers, contacts and meetings, it wasn't a vacation. When we went to the Judean desert one weekend, and left Jerusalem to go float in the Dead Sea, we had a driver. It definitely helps to have somebody who knows the area.

From what I was told about Jordan, is that it was fairly liberal and friendly towards the west. The country was moving in a pro-western direction, which is nice considering it's proximity to Iran and Iraq. You do need a visa, but they can be bought for $30 I think. One thing I heard about Jordan though, people who talk sh*t about King Abdullah II--disappear.

I'd go back in a heartbeat and am planning a trip to Istanbul next year. Just pay attention to the State Dept. warnings, keep an eye on the political climate and do your best to observe local customs and you will be fine. But I'd be concerned about the "avoid leaving large cities" warning if you are planning on camping in the desert.

Really amazing to experience foreign cultures like the Middle East. It'll change your life. But it's best to go with somebody who has been there or knows the culture.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #35
schaaf

Jordan, Montana is pretty safe. They had the Freemen standoff but it's mainly just a ****hole.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #36
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
And if so, is it safe?

I was there but it was about 4 years ago There was a travel advisory in effect at the time but I meant nothing but wonderful people I spent most of my time there at the Dead Sea taking the natural health treatments I did take a trip to Petra and the hot springs that is on the way If you go I highly recommend spending time at all three places.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #37
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post
I haven't been to Jordan, but in 2010 I spent 3 weeks in the Palestinian West Bank, and a week in Egypt. I felt safe wherever I went and the people were very friendly. I was working with the US State Department though and had drivers, contacts and meetings, it wasn't a vacation. When we went to the Judean desert one weekend, and left Jerusalem to go float in the Dead Sea, we had a driver. It definitely helps to have somebody who knows the area.

From what I was told about Jordan, is that it was fairly liberal and friendly towards the west. The country was moving in a pro-western direction, which is nice considering it's proximity to Iran and Iraq. You do need a visa, but they can be bought for $30 I think. One thing I heard about Jordan though, people who talk sh*t about King Abdullah II--disappear.

I'd go back in a heartbeat and am planning a trip to Istanbul next year. Just pay attention to the State Dept. warnings, keep an eye on the political climate and do your best to observe local customs and you will be fine. But I'd be concerned about the "avoid leaving large cities" warning if you are planning on camping in the desert.

Really amazing to experience foreign cultures like the Middle East. It'll change your life. But it's best to go with somebody who has been there or knows the culture.
That is a good rule to any country you visit with a King. Just don't.

I haven't been to Istanbul myself, but would like to go one day. What ideas do you have there? Just the city or venture out?

Also there are buses/trains you can take in Israel/Jordan versus using a hired driver/taxi.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #38
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
It's only been in the last 3 years or so that I've gotten up the nerve to venture into major American cities. Even then, it's the suburb shopping districts and whatnot. I just figure you only put yourself at risk where necessary.

If there's a real reason he wants to go, that might justify the risk. If he hasn't traveled many places and he's instantly jumping to Jordan, I can't understand that.
Okay, I guess that makes sense from your standpoint I suppose. Sure there are risks wherever you visit, but you should never let that hold you back to wanting to visit somewhere.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #39
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Want an adventure off the beaten path and the most beautiful women in the world. UKRAINE!
The Russisans/Ukraine/etc are just wow. The bodies on them. Gorgeous! Now the moms or the older ones? wtf happened
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #40
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
That is a good rule to any country you visit with a King. Just don't.

I haven't been to Istanbul myself, but would like to go one day. What ideas do you have there? Just the city or venture out?

Also there are buses/trains you can take in Israel/Jordan versus using a hired driver/taxi.
Not that I thought the OP would arrive in Jordan and start bad mouthing the regime, just wanted to point out that while it is a liberal, western thinking government, there is heavy censorship.

As for Istanbul, it's a 3 city trip across the ancient Roman empire (4 days Rome, 3 days Athens, 3 days Istanbul). I really like history and architecture, so I will probably just stay in the cities. I'm told all three cities are best to visit in April/May.

I only mentioned it because a few years ago I wouldn't have thought about visiting a predominitely Muslim country on vacation, but the trip to Palestine and Egypt really changed my perspective.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #41
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post
Not that I thought the OP would arrive in Jordan and start bad mouthing the regime, just wanted to point out that while it is a liberal, western thinking government, there is heavy censorship.

As for Istanbul, it's a 3 city trip across the ancient Roman empire (4 days Rome, 3 days Athens, 3 days Istanbul). I really like history and architecture, so I will probably just stay in the cities. I'm told all three cities are best to visit in April/May.

I only mentioned it because a few years ago I wouldn't have thought about visiting a predominitely Muslim country on vacation, but the trip to Palestine and Egypt really changed my perspective.
Hey, it's all good! Yes, if there is a King in a country. Don't ever talk negative about him in public. Good rule of thumb for any traveller out there.

How are you getting from city to city? Do you have a set time because I'm looking at your dates for each city. I would recommend fitting Florence in there if you can(high speed train both ways). Also, what about the Greek Isles? Check out this island if you can fit it in.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #42
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
try burning man in Nevada, fun camping
I've heard great things minus groups of people rolling on molly playing Skrillex at 5 am.

Appreciate all the tips guys, both for and against! The camping is actually an addition to a wedding (our buddy's sister is marrying a Jordanian guy). That's why we're there.

Steven I don't have money coming out of the whazoo by any means. I just don't save anything and I do make a little extra working every weekend and late nights most of the year. You're going to ****ing space though so you better save up.

tsk nyuk nyuk nyuk surely you have savoured the bundle of joy that is cougar life.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #43
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Hey, it's all good! Yes, if there is a King in a country. Don't ever talk negative about him in public. Good rule of thumb for any traveller out there.

How are you getting from city to city? Do you have a set time because I'm looking at your dates for each city. I would recommend fitting Florence in there if you can(high speed train both ways). Also, what about the Greek Isles? Check out this island if you can fit it in.

Where is that?

/blind mown

I think it's Amman, Petra, Rum Kabi desert and the dead sea. I'm not sure how much time we'll have for anything else.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #44
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Been on Jordan. She wasn't so safe. Recommend double bagging it.

Otherwise, seems like the experience of a life time. Do it.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #45
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Been on Jordan. She wasn't so safe. Recommend double bagging it.

Otherwise, seems like the experience of a life time. Do it.
Did you pitch a tent in datazzz?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #46
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Where is that?

/blind mown

I think it's Amman, Petra, Rum Kabi desert and the dead sea. I'm not sure how much time we'll have for anything else.
Delos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delos

That trip sounds badass. Are you going to go all the way over there and not see jerusalem?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #47
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
Jordan is the most stable country in the region.
Wow that is a real selling point.

So I guess if I have a gun to my head and have to go to the region this is the place to go.

Yeah like that is going to happen.

Loads of other places to do and see without going into a place where Americans are as loved as lepers.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #48
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

What if I told you a midget American leper named Davey was a very popular DJ in Jordan? Because that might very well be true.

YOU JUST DON'T KNOW.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #49
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
What if I told you a midget American leper named Davey was a very popular DJ in Jordan? Because that might very well be true.

YOU JUST DON'T KNOW.
unless it is YOU.. I would not go..

I've traveled the world and can spot an American 96 times out of a hundred..

If they are looking for you, you are going to spend time more time than planned there..

It may be safer than most places in the middle east.. But if the state department puts out a travel warning stay away.. there is a reason for it..

I realize you believe you are immortal being young but trust me when I say it the bad guys are just looking for folks to make into BIGGER EXAMPLES of..
Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #50
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Three things that make me American - my passport, my love for Colorado and my love for the Broncos. Other than that I'm a little tough to place. I've never owned anything from northface, never worn Tevas, don't have super short hair, have a beard, and have darker features than most.

My Von Miller jersey will blind the **** out of those camels in the desert though. Come to think of it it'll probably melt since it was stitched together by eighteen kids in China.

I think I got what I needed though. Let's let this thread die.