The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
You don't think the Pats know this? Brady isn't getting any younger. The only way the Broncos get Welker is if they offer him stupid money. Welker is going to stay with the Pats if they make him a fair offer IMHO. Plus, the Broncos have bigger needs to address. The Broncos signing Melton make much more sense IMHO.
You say that like he likes BB.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #27
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
You don't think the Pats know this? Brady isn't getting any younger. The only way the Broncos get Welker is if they offer him stupid money. Welker is going to stay with the Pats if they make him a fair offer IMHO. Plus, the Broncos have bigger needs to address. The Broncos signing Melton make much more sense IMHO.
You do realize how the Patriots treat their free agents? There is a good chance they won't pay the money that he wants. Kraft is a cheap ass to some of his hard working players. BB and crew always had the idea of reloading with less paid FA or draft picks. Some came because of their winning ways and wanted a piece of it . Problem is lately the Patriots have not been scoring on their draft picks and will possibly start over paying to keep players or to bring them in when they aren't home grown. Interesting to see what they do with not only Welker but the other 22 free agents on their roster. It includes not only Wes but Talib, Edelman and Vollmer.

You want to know what the Pats face if they go the Franchise tag again on him? http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/2...uncertain-2013
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #28
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
You do realize how the Patriots treat their free agents? There is a good chance they won't pay the money that he wants. Kraft is a cheap ass to some of his hard working players. BB and crew always had the idea of reloading with less paid FA or draft picks. Some came because of their winning ways and wanted a piece of it . Problem is lately the Patriots have not been scoring on their draft picks and will possibly start over paying to keep players or to bring them in when they aren't home grown. Interesting to see what they do with not only Welker but the other 22 free agents on their roster. It includes not only Wes but Talib, Edelman and Vollmer.

You want to know what the Pats face if they go the Franchise tag again on him? http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/2...uncertain-2013
Robert Kraft is broke...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #29
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post

I see your point and agree. My point is the Pats window is also closing, perhaps not as fast as the Broncos with Manning but it's also closing. The question is who will Brady want back? If Welker is his security blanket then I'm thinking he's one of the FAs they bring back. I might be 100% wrong of course. If the Broncos can get Welker and keep their core FAs and beef up the defensive line then great!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #30
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

In big games lately he hasn't played well.

You could link him directly to their last two big game losses.

Everyone remembers the catch he probably should have caught in the Superbowl. Wasn't the best thrown ball but it did hit his hands.

Last night after he got whacked by Pollard, he had a chance make a huge 3rd down reception that hit him right in the chest and he dropped it scared he was going to get whacked again. We need more power players, not finesse guys.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #31
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I see your point and agree. My point is the Pats window is also closing, perhaps not as fast as the Broncos with Manning but it's also closing. The question is who will Brady want back? If Welker is his security blanket then I'm thinking he's one of the FAs they bring back. I might be 100% wrong of course. If the Broncos can get Welker and keep their core FAs and beef up the defensive line then great!
They started using Elderman more before he got hurt. He is a FA and also younger. I'm pretty positive BB and Welker don't get along either. Welker was in the doghouse to begin the season according to most people, now he has that playoff drops this year. I don't think he is coming back there at a discounted rate just to be dicked along by BB again.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

no way we bring in Welker unless he signs for 5-7 mil. he's one of the best WR's and the best slot in the NFL. he's older but he likely won't settle for less than he was franchised for this past season.
9-10 mil for a slot is a lot of money when we have multiple holes on D and need a RB.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #33
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
They started using Elderman more before he got hurt. He is a FA and also younger. I'm pretty positive BB and Welker don't get along either. Welker was in the doghouse to begin the season according to most people, now he has that playoff drops this year. I don't think he is coming back there at a discounted rate just to be dicked along by BB again.
You might be right, maybe Welker takes less money to come to the Broncos?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #34
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

WR is fine IMO. The best way to help Manning and the offense is to upgrade the running game.

At present, we pose opposing defenses "difficulty" with our passing game. No so much with our running game.

Until such time our running game can be counted on to make defenses respect it as equally as Peyton & our Wr's, we'll see endings in the playoffs similar to that against the Ravens.

This offense is too one dimensional.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #35
jutang
Pro Bowler

Losing McGahee anf knowshon made the broncos one dimensional. Either of those backs would have made a huge difference in the Ravens game.

The broncos become even stronger while making the Patriots weaker. The FO needs to make a solid push to at least make it costlier for the Patriots to retain Welker.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #36
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Bring him in for a look.
NO
Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #37
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 View Post
I'd rather see us spend the $ on D-line. Our pass rush was non-existent in the 2nd half of that debacle against ravens.
This
Old 01-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #38
extralife
Ring of Famer

just not worth it for us. we're going to have to pay DT and Decker in the next couple years, you don't pay Welker 9 million to play slot in that same time span. if we're going to spend real money anywhere, it should probably be on a front seven player. we need another receiver, I think, but more of a depth guy. keep in mind we're not even lining up three wide every play (even the teams that do it the most are like 75% and we like two TE sets)

Last edited by extralife; 01-21-2013 at 06:13 PM..
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #39
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

My god people Welker is the best slot WR in the NFL. Then look at the money we spent on DTs the last year. Tell me we are going to use the money on DTs I could use a laugh. Beadles is on his way to the Pro Bowl and Kuper is fat paid right now. We will not bring in another FA OG unless he is a back up making back up money. Are we going to spend FA money on a MLB? Not with the players out there. Look at the value of the FAs people.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #40
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Demaryius and Decker will deserve raises if they perform at optimum levels next season. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos consider allocating whatever resources they can in the extensions of one, if not both of them this off-season. They will have that additional rollover which translated into some decent cap space. We have contracts that could be shed from players who were injured, suspended or outplayed by other people. I still think extending Clady is prime.

I just don't see adding a profile player like Welker as our highest priority this off-season. Would I love to have Wes Welker for a championship run? Yes. Just not sure if we allocate our resources that way. I wonder if Stokes stays around for another year. I certainly think that we can do much better in our passing attack than Willis or Caldwell can offer as #4 and #5 guys. Get a guy in the draft.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #41
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

No one has pointed out addition by subtraction. If he is in Denver, then he isn't in NE. If we show interest in him, at least that means NE will have to shell out more for his services. I don't see a downside to the guy if the cap geniuses can fit him in. Additionally, he is 5 years younger than Stokley.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #42
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtebow View Post
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/2...-about-future/

Welker in the slot, decker, Thomas outside and a rookie speedster as our#4...now pick up a RB in round 2 or 3 and let's finish what we started....
yeah.. I don't think WR is a need position for the Broncos, they can draft a younger slot receiver in the draft. Besides Welker would cost to much.. $$ would be better spent on keeping our own.. Vikerson comes to mind.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #43
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
People need to remember that we have a number of key free agents we need to sign before looking somewhere else to find Peyton Manning some new toys. Clady being our top priority.
we currently have just over 35 players under contract for 2013 I say afew as we signed a couple of guys the day after we lost..

but the means we have to sign about 25+ more throughout the season next year just to fill the roster spots plus the number that hit IR each year..

so about 25 spots for the 18.5 mil we have available for players, under the cap IF Pat allows John to spend it all..

Please folks do not drool over players we will not be able to afford not even sure we will be able to bring clady back under those guidelines..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #44
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Don't need Welker. Defense, defense, more defense. Safety help, CB help, LB help, Dline help.

Build around Miller, Wolfe, Doom. The offense needs a little tweaking, maybe an upgrade at RB, but definitely not an 11 million a year slot receiver.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #45
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

We don't have the money. We were #2 in scoring this year. I'd like a stronger defense.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #46
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
My god people Welker is the best slot WR in the NFL. Then look at the money we spent on DTs the last year. Tell me we are going to use the money on DTs I could use a laugh. Beadles is on his way to the Pro Bowl and Kuper is fat paid right now. We will not bring in another FA OG unless he is a back up making back up money. Are we going to spend FA money on a MLB? Not with the players out there. Look at the value of the FAs people.
Re-sign own players and build through the draft, don't need or want Welker.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #47
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
Don't need Welker. Defense, defense, more defense. Safety help, CB help, LB help, Dline help.

Build around Miller, Wolfe, Doom. The offense needs a little tweaking, maybe an upgrade at RB, but definitely not an 11 million a year slot receiver.

we would have a dynamic LB corps if we had a stud or for that matter a very good MLB.. WW and Von are a couple of the best in the NFL just need a good to great MLB that plugs the middle give me another alwilson when he could tackle.

however with a stud DT to go with Ayers, doom, Wolf and maybe another real BIGGIE in the middle our DL would be stellar and great front seven..

A DL that can that can pressure the QB without loads of blitzes.. But bu throwing one in every once in a while we can create turnovers..

as Lou Saban used to say "live by the blitz die by the blitz"..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #48
SlyEli

I have been advocating welker for a while. Big issue with the offense in the playoff game was getting the short passing game working, guys were having trouble getting open. Welker can get open better than stokley.

I think the broncos have enough cap room to resign their bigs, as well as nab a coupe marquee guys in free agency. Welker and a guy like william moore at safety would shore up a lot offensively and defensively.

Middle linebacker is a need but I just don't see who they fill it with. Tight end could be better, I think dreessen is just average.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #49
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
I have been advocating welker for a while. Big issue with the offense in the playoff game was getting the short passing game working, guys were having trouble getting open. Welker can get open better than stokley.

I think the broncos have enough cap room to resign their bigs, as well as nab a coupe marquee guys in free agency. Welker and a guy like william moore at safety would shore up a lot offensively and defensively.

Middle linebacker is a need but I just don't see who they fill it with. Tight end could be better, I think dreessen is just average.
with less than 40 players under contract for 2013.. knowing we have to get to 53 plus all those that wind up on IR, all of which have to fit under the salary cap.. since we only have 18.5 mil as we speak to sign all of these guys about 20 (13+, plus an average 7 guys on IR).. just how are you going to afford a couple of marque guys?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #50
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Where are her parents? How horrifying.