The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Do you think he would be an immediate upgrade over Vickerson? Sounds like he is to me...I bet he's pretty strong considering his production.

I think the Broncos are going to have to trade up to #20-#22 to get their guy, whether it's Minter, Short, Rhodes, Okafor (or whomever).

They should easily be able to do it by packaging a 4th rounder (just like the Patriots did last year). I doubt they have enough draft savvy to pull it off, though.
One of those 4 should be there @28..not sure Oakfor is an option unfortunately..
I would actually rather trade back and acquire picks in this draft, it is very deep with talent. I see Buffalo as the perfect trade partner. They may panic and move back into the first for Nassib. If we are lucky enough we will add a second and some other picks.. Maybe a third. Having two second and third round picks would be great!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #27
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Do you think he would be an immediate upgrade over Vickerson? Sounds like he is to me...I bet he's pretty strong considering his production.

I think the Broncos are going to have to trade up to #20-#22 to get their guy, whether it's Minter, Short, Rhodes, Okafor (or whomever).

They should easily be able to do it by packaging a 4th rounder (just like the Patriots did last year). I doubt they have enough draft savvy to pull it off, though.
I don't think I'm a great scheme guy to ask that question. I don't think he would play the same position as Big Vick. I think you could be alright with Wolfe, Short, Vick, and Doom as the front four.

Don't sleep on Sheldon Richardson from DT. I think he compares to Tyson Alualu
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
Thanks. Interested to see what his stock does after this week. I don't think he'll be around for the Broncos pick, not that he would be a need anyway.
No problem man
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #29
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Good read if you have the time.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...dallas-cowboys
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #30
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
One of those 4 should be there @28..not sure Oakfor is an option unfortunately..
I would actually rather trade back and acquire picks in this draft, it is very deep with talent. I see Buffalo as the perfect trade partner. They may panic and move back into the first for Nassib. If we are lucky enough we will add a second and some other picks.. Maybe a third. Having two second and third round picks would be great!
It's a nice idea (trading back), because there are so many underclassman in this draft (73 or something like that), but the Broncos have been losing value trading back every year for 4 straight years now.

They NEED to get two starters with their first two picks. They didn't do it last year...and have holes that MUST be filled. Not sure how the stack-up looks right now, but trading out of the 1st round isn't going to help us. Our 4th rounders last year shouldn't even have made the team (Blake and Bolden), and there is even less holes to fill this offseason.

I do kinda like your idea, but I don't trust the FO to get real value with a trade back. Plus, if you're just trading back to pick up an extra 3rd rounder, you would have to drop 10-15 spots...which puts you in the realm of players with flaws. If you could get the right guy in the 3rd, it might be worth it...but that's difficult to find, and even more difficult acquire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I don't think I'm a great scheme guy to ask that question. I don't think he would play the same position as Big Vick. I think you could be alright with Wolfe, Short, Vick, and Doom as the front four.

Yeah, you're right about Kawann Short, listed as 6'032" 308...I have him slotted at NT, but if JDR plans to keep Wolfe in the J.J. Watt role, then Short would be a good replacement for Justin Bannan. at UT. I thought he was closer to 320 lbs.

I think Sheldon Richardson will definitely be gone by the Broncos pick...he reminds me of Fletcher Cox somewhat.

BTW, our boy Kevin Minter is the #1 HOT Riser on NFLDraftScout...not good news for us.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #31
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Recap went like this. Eric Pugh is projected at OG by Daniel Jeremiah because of his short arms. Eric Fisher should be the number 2 LT taken in the first round. Talked a bit about Kyle Long, how he has room to develop and he has good pedigree. That was it for the OL recap.

Desmond Trufant got huge raves for footwork and aggressiveness. They think he has elite ability. Said he went to the coaching staff every week and wanted to be on the number one WR.

WR Chris Harper was talked about because of his frame and that the fact that he was a former QB. Says he runs crafty routes. 6'0 3/4 and weights 228. That is big for a guy his size.

Datone Jones has good hands, burst, suddeness. He has been working with a mix martial art person to help his hand work. Only Eric Fisher held him in check on the one on one drills.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #32
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
How on earth can you say that when Goodman is the same size as Hunter, who was our starting DE before he got hurt moving Wolfe over?
Hunter was never going to play LDE. He started there day 1 of camp while Wolfe got acclimated. With the scheme we run where we require our LDE to essentially be a two gapping DT, there was no way Jason Hunter was ever going to play that role, regardless of the amount of dog he had in him. He's far too small.

And after having a top defense, with Wolfe one of the main reasons why, we won't be changing our scheme. We are running the same scheme Baltimore ran when Del Rio was the LBs coach.

With Dumervil and Ayers expected back, there's no room to dress another 260-270lb DE.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #33
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
32" arms is actually below average for Defensive Lineman. It inhibits their ability to get off NFL blocks...and certainly hurts their draft stock a little bit. It will be interesting to see their strength and footspeed.
That's for DEs. DTs are a different story and it helps to have shorter arms because it's a power game. 32 inch arms is not short for a DT.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #34
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I know you didn't watch any of the practice at all so what you think really doesn't matter much. Short had 33 and 3/4 arms FYI and Williams had 32 and 5/8 arms.
Tony Pauline had Short's arms at 32 7/8.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6672

He could be wrong, where are you getting your numbers from?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Tony Pauline had Short's arms at 32 7/8.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6672

He could be wrong, where are you getting your numbers from?
http://www.draftcountdown.com/featur...s/Weigh-In.php
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #36
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Oakfor is so complete and he flys off the radar. But here's my issue.. If you take Oakfor we lose that size off the strong side. This would mean our DTs would have to be disruptive and our LBs physical.. I'm also not sure how our scheme would work with Oakfor at SDE..

I was hoping Williams would be there in the third for us.. But we may have to take him in the second..I guess we will see soon enough.
If you take a two gapping DT off LDE, then Von Miller can't rush nearly as often, which would be incredibly dumb. If they chose to continue to try and rush Miller, we'd be gashed by the run. If they chose to then bring a safety up to help against that, we'd be gashed by play action and a single high safety look.

The only way to maximize Von Miller is to run a 34 defense or run the quasi-scheme we run now. You can't effectively play a traditional 43 and rush your SAM LB every snap.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #37
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
One of them is wrong then. Pauline is there for the Jags, so I'd hope he's not screwing up. Would be nice if the Senior Bowl website put all the measureables up for an official listing.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #38
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Might be right on the trade up idea.

No matter how much I'd like it, I still can't fathom we spend a top resource on a player we'd use in a three man rotation that would only see the field 50% of the time. And again, John Fox has never prioritized DTs. And based on this previous season, he might be right with our scheme.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #39
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I do like this idea of trading back. Always depends on who is there of course, but if the team likes Reddick as much as Minter, it would make sense to me.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #40
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:

lol, wut?

Alualu has been godawful for Jacksonville and is one of the primary reasons Gene Smith got fired. He's terrible. They're trying to spin it as he's been injured since entering the league, but the result is still the same.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #41
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
One of them is wrong then. Pauline is there for the Jags, so I'd hope he's not screwing up. Would be nice if the Senior Bowl website put all the measureables up for an official listing.
Well the the numbers are right next to each other so it's a easy mess up for either site.

What are your thoughts on Brian Winters? Sounds like he is more of a RG at the next level. What I read about him, he is a mauler run blocker and has good feet. Sounds like he is a fiery blocker. Right now he has a 4th round grade from what I read.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #42
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I want to be on record as the poster who has FIRST talked up Brandon Williams! I should be working in a scouting department somewhere. John should have his people call my people!!

You weren't a fan of Reddick?

I only saw the end and it was slow paced minimal contact 11 on 11
lol, I'm not sure if "I like Bobbie Williams" counts as talking up.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #43
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
lol, wut?

Alualu has been godawful for Jacksonville and is one of the primary reasons Gene Smith got fired. He's terrible. They're trying to spin it as he's been injured since entering the league, but the result is still the same.
Compares To: Tyson Alualu, DT, Jacksonville Jaguars - If NFL scouts are convinced he'll maintain it once he cashes his first paycheck, the combination of size, athleticism and the high-revving motor Richardson demonstrated this season could lead to a shockingly high grade for Mizzou star, just as it did for Alualu, the surprise No. 10 overall pick of the 2010 draft.
http://www.sportsxchange.com/showcas...php?pyid=89459
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664149
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #44
Shananahan

Quote:
Don't sleep on Sheldon Richardson from DT.
Nobody will. He was one of the best SEC DTs last season and is a pretty incredible athlete for his size. He'll probably go top 15.

Guy's an idiot, but he's a great player.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #45
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Well the the numbers are right next to each other so it's a easy mess up for either site.

What are your thoughts on Brian Winters? Sounds like he is more of a RG at the next level. What I read about him, he is a mauler run blocker and has good feet. Sounds like he is a fiery blocker. Right now he has a 4th round grade from what I read.
I'm thinking pretty much the exact same thing you typed for Winters. I thought he'd be taller by at least two inches.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #46
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Compares To: Tyson Alualu, DT, Jacksonville Jaguars - If NFL scouts are convinced he'll maintain it once he cashes his first paycheck, the combination of size, athleticism and the high-revving motor Richardson demonstrated this season could lead to a shockingly high grade for Mizzou star, just as it did for Alualu, the surprise No. 10 overall pick of the 2010 draft.
http://www.sportsxchange.com/showcas...php?pyid=89459
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664149

I don't like that comparison at all. I'd compare him more to Lamarr Houston. That being said, I have serious doubts Richardson goes in the top half of the first round. I think he fits best as a 34 DE, and he does have some questions about him as well. He could slip into the back half of Round 1, maybe even Round 2.

I'd definitely rather have Kawann Short.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #47
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Quote:
, but I don't trust the FO to get real value with a trade back.
Occasionally you make a good point in one of your posts, but this "you don't trust the front office to make a trade" get over yourself you're just a poster on a BB.

Quote:
BTW, our boy Kevin Minter is the #1 HOT Riser on NFLDraftScout...not good news for us.
Don't worry about Minter rising IMO it's good riddance. I saw some of his play in a few games this year he impressed me as much as Te'o did. Which was not at all.

I've learned not to buy into the hype the so called experts put out about players. I got burned bad on Aaaron Curry a couple of years ago.

Last edited by driver; 01-21-2013 at 09:34 PM..
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #48
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Nobody will. He was one of the best SEC DTs last season and is a pretty incredible athlete for his size. He'll probably go top 15.

Guy's an idiot, but he's a great player.
That is why I think he draws comparison to Tyson Alualu. Huge riser with plenty of risk.

The Jaguars knew that Denver, among other teams, had Alualu in for a visit. The Broncos had the 11th pick.

The perception was that the Jaguars could have traded down and gotten Alualu. It was a moot point because the Jaguars got just one offer, and it wasn't a serious one.

http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/foo...choice-jaguars
Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #49
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I don't like that comparison at all. I'd compare him more to Lamarr Houston. That being said, I have serious doubts Richardson goes in the top half of the first round. I think he fits best as a 34 DE, and he does have some questions about him as well. He could slip into the back half of Round 1, maybe even Round 2.

I'd definitely rather have Kawann Short.
I'm thinking more about his fast rise with the bust risk more so then ability which is what I agree with that comparison. I see him as a top 40 player getting lots of hype for a guy with the chance to go top 10-15.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #50
Bmore Manning

Quote:
lol, I'm not sure if "I like Bobbie Williams" counts as talking up.
You really got going I see. I did more then just call him by the wrong name...funny.

I said Oakfor wouldn't work in our current scheme.

I have been calling for Williams in every single instance I mention a DT, I even said I wanted Short and Williams, but I would choose Williams over Short if I could only have one. Don't take away from me!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: