The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default The Postseason still comes down to defense

Both Winners of yesterdays games shut out the home team in the second half. Yes, that is right, the visiting teams shut out the HOME teams in the second half yesterday.

I was very happy with what happened defensively this year, but absolutely not happy with the defensive performance in the playoff game. I have rewatched the game several times and the defense played almost as bad as the infamous 2006 AFCCG implosion after playing fantastic for most of the year.

This concerns me, because our personnel was beaten 1 on 1 way too often against BAL. The Scheme, halftime adjustments, and playcalling were great all year but were terrible in the playoff game. I really believe this is why Ron Milus was let go, but lets hope the new guy gets the message.

I really want to see a better gameplan and adjustments on Defense in the playoffs next year. DEN got abused against an AVERAGE BAL offense. They gave up 5 explosive plays in that game when they gave up only 5 the second half of the season. They were situationally poorly prepared and executed like a team that was wildly inconsistent, not a top 5 defense.

I like DEN's chances next year, I really do. However, that kind of coaching performance can not be repeated.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

More than that it comes down to safety play.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

You can not blame the safety's or CB's when the front 7 are not getting any pressure on the opposing QB. You can only cover so long.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
You can not blame the safety's or CB's when the front 7 are not getting any pressure on the opposing QB. You can only cover so long.
For that 1 ****ing back breaking play you can.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Getting the offense to score more than 7 points in the second half and a full period of OT wouldn't hurt either.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Baltimore demonstrated how to successfully get through the playoffs. They were agressive on offense AND defense, while limiting mistakes. That was a clinic...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
Getting the offense to score more than 7 points in the second half and a full period of OT wouldn't hurt either.
For once, the offense was not the issue. They scored 21 points and had some great ST's help to get 35 total. They scored on 3 of 8 posessions and had 4 of those other 5 drives screwed up by the bogus non-PI TD BAL and several really dubious Holding calls stalled drives. You should win a game in the playoffs when you score 35 points at home.

The big deal was allowing BAL's offense to score 31 points after taking them to the cleaners in their place a month before.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Denver needs to rush the passer alot better to compete with the big boys. DB and O sucked too.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Both Winners of yesterdays games shut out the home team in the second half. Yes, that is right, the visiting teams shut out the HOME teams in the second half yesterday.

I was very happy with what happened defensively this year, but absolutely not happy with the defensive performance in the playoff game. I have rewatched the game several times and the defense played almost as bad as the infamous 2006 AFCCG implosion after playing fantastic for most of the year.

This concerns me, because our personnel was beaten 1 on 1 way too often against BAL. The Scheme, halftime adjustments, and playcalling were great all year but were terrible in the playoff game. I really believe this is why Ron Milus was let go, but lets hope the new guy gets the message.

I really want to see a better gameplan and adjustments on Defense in the playoffs next year. DEN got abused against an AVERAGE BAL offense. They gave up 5 explosive plays in that game when they gave up only 5 the second half of the season. They were situationally poorly prepared and executed like a team that was wildly inconsistent, not a top 5 defense.

I like DEN's chances next year, I really do. However, that kind of coaching performance can not be repeated.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. If the defense that had played during the season had played in that game, and Fox hadn't lost his mind with 30 left, guess where we'd be today. You have to have a dominant defense that executes well. A dominant defense will allow your offense to do whatever and look good doing it.

And thank you to spdirty for mentioning the safeties. This has nothing to do with Moore, well maybe some. Successful team have stand out safeties. Hell you can even go back to SB XXXII. An INT catch and Atwater was probably MVP.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Denver needs to rush the passer alot better to compete with the big boys. DB and O sucked too.
Make you wonder if Doom is really worth the money that Denver pays him.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan

PFM / Kopitar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Baltimore demonstrated how to successfully get through the playoffs. They were agressive on offense AND defense, while limiting mistakes. That was a clinic...

On top of that The Ravens out phyically play their opponents with their Defense. They would punish the ball carrier or receiver getting the ball. They played us hard & physical, and certainly did to the Pats. Knocked the rb out to get a turnover. They keep it pretty basic on D, and just punch you in the mouth, similar to the Bears. We need that type of play/mentality on our team. We played pretty tough most the year, but didnt bring it or step up our game for the playoffs.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
CEH
Ring of Famer

Way too many big plays but the defense up to 40 seconds left was playing well enough to win a playoff game at home
The big deal was allowing a 70 yard TD with 40 seconds left.

Before that play and OT Flacco was 14 for 26 219 yards and 2 TDs
Ray Rice was under 100 yards on 19 carries.

The missed FG was a back breaker. Denver easily could have been up 17 one minute into the 3rd qtr and would have rolled Baltimore just like they did in week 15

I am still very optimistic that this team can get better and be one of teh most compete teams in teh NFL for years to come
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you. If the defense that had played during the season had played in that game, and Fox hadn't lost his mind with 30 left, guess where we'd be today. You have to have a dominant defense that executes well. A dominant defense will allow your offense to do whatever and look good doing it.

And thank you to spdirty for mentioning the safeties. This has nothing to do with Moore, well maybe some. Successful team have stand out safeties. Hell you can even go back to SB XXXII. An INT catch and Atwater was probably MVP.
Speaking of Atwater, remember in the GB Super Bowl and Farve was driving. You saw Atwater playing deep and coming up and laying out himself and 2 others.

Never let anyone get behind you
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

you know what helps a great defense? a dynamic MLB.
Lewis and Willis help solve a lot of issues for their defenses. diagnosing plays,dropping into coverage to allow others to rush, forcing a extra blocker to key on them and free up an edge rusher at DB or DL.

getting a really good MLB and DT in the draft would solve a lot of issues for us.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

If your Defensive players can't cover the Offensive players one-on-one, you need better Defensive players.

Neither Torrey Smith (4.41 forty), nor Jacoby Jones (4.5 forty) are super-fast. Tracy Porter would have been able to guard Torrey Smith easily. Champ is too old and slow (or at least he was that day), and Tony Carter just sucks.

There is no reason a guy who runs a 4.41 forty should be getting 5 yards behind your Defense all day. No reason at all. It was super-crappy execution by the Broncos DB's...when they knew exactly what was coming.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Rahim Moore made one bad play, and slightly misjudged the flight of a looping rainbow pass, coming up 6 inches short of a game ending INT. He showed remarkable progress in the last year, and won't make that mistake again...you can count on it.

Champ got blown out of the freaking water by a guy who doesn't even have elite speed.

Judging by the first time we played the Ravens, I can't judge Champ too harshly based on one game. Maybe he was wearing an extra pair of long johns and a sweatshirt that weighed him down, who knows. I think everybody's concentration was slightly off due to the nagging, biting cold too.

But yeah, still need to get pressure out of a 4-man line. MLB had nothing to do with the loss (not that a much cheaper upgrade wouldn't be nice...and may also free up some money to pursue a dominant DT).

Last edited by pricejj; 01-21-2013 at 10:56 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

yup torrey smith sure isn't that fast, good call
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

I said this in the Welker thread,

Throw the money at Henry Melton and draft the best MLB we can get, we need to be more physical in the middle of the field. DJ did nothing after coming back, they had him in the OLB depth chart not MLB, if they don't keep him and move him to MLB full time we need to find a stud in the draft or see if we can't milk a couple years out of a FA.

Between a more physical presence in the middle of the field that can both stuff the run and push in interior of the pocket the secondary will get better hopefully at the expense of Milus.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabronco View Post
On top of that The Ravens out phyically play their opponents with their Defense. They would punish the ball carrier or receiver getting the ball. They played us hard & physical, and certainly did to the Pats. Knocked the rb out to get a turnover. They keep it pretty basic on D, and just punch you in the mouth, similar to the Bears. We need that type of play/mentality on our team. We played pretty tough most the year, but didnt bring it or step up our game for the playoffs.
With one year under his belt I expect JDR to bring a more physical presence to our Defense.
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
That is normally the case but Champ was beaten several times almost right away and no pass rush would have made a difference on those plays. Same with Moore's infamous play. You can't blame that on the pass rush. Face the facts, our secondary was horrible that game, pass rush or no pass rush, they looked terrible.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post

Agree. Beef up the team talent and make it so even officals poor calls ( or lack of calls) do not put us in danger of losing. Coaching must do a better job of prepping and adjusting next year. Not sure why they had such a poor
plan this year.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think we played a $hitty game along w/ refs giving us the screw job and cleanly won that game if not for Moore's stupidity in coverage. With that being said and critically looking at ourselves... the coaches absolutely $hit the pot and one can say that Manning choked as well. JDR/Fox/McCoy all got out of our comfort zones. You could tell on bunch plays by Baltimore that the defensive coverage did not know what they were doing. It burned us too. The play calls in that game displayed folks that were nervous. When compared to close games in the regular season, we played loose and called plays to win the game, like throws on 3rd and short. We didn't run on obvious running downs, and we didn't kneel on the ball.

I like where we are going but as Elway needed help in his later years by a great running game, we REALLY need to find a dependable back that can alter what defenses do against our pass game if we are going to take the next step. McGahee and Moreno were not dependable when the games were on the line. Hillman has some potential but limited upside IMO based on what he did last year. Lots of areas to improve but it was a good year overall. We let an amazing opportunity slip away. We had Baltimore down for the count and let them back into it.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Rahim Moore made one bad play, and slightly misjudged the flight of a looping rainbow pass, coming up 6 inches short of a game ending INT. He showed remarkable progress in the last year, and won't make that mistake again...you can count on it.

Champ got blown out of the freaking water by a guy who doesn't even have elite speed.

Judging by the first time we played the Ravens, I can't judge Champ too harshly based on one game. Maybe he was wearing an extra pair of long johns and a sweatshirt that weighed him down, who knows. I think everybody's concentration was slightly off due to the nagging, biting cold too.

But yeah, still need to get pressure out of a 4-man line. MLB had nothing to do with the loss (not that a much cheaper upgrade wouldn't be nice...and may also free up some money to pursue a dominant DT).
Regardless of the rest, Torrey Smith is pretty fast. Timed in low 4.4's, rumored 4.3 before that.

Anyway, i do think the cold probably played apart in everyones game too.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Playoff games are not for conservative minded coaches.
With the same set of players, we would have won the game last week if the coach was different.
We got lot of opportunities to take 10/14 point lead..What did we do
Played conservatively..After ravens turnover, we had a opportunity to put the game away.
What did we do..Keep running the ball to kill the clock.
These days 17 point lead going in 2nd half is also not safe.
Yet, our coach sits on 7 point lead.

We are a good team that could have reached SB this year.
No one can predict next year.

Adding good players is fine.Fox should know when to play conservative and when to attach..If his mindset is not changed, we will be talking about him the way we talk about Mike Smith, Marty.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Moore than that it comes down to safety play.

Fixed that for you
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote