The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #51
Drunken.Broncoholic

Bring anyone in who can actually last a season/postseason. Mcgahee and Moreno both screwed the broncos by getting hurt when they did.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #52
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Same player as Willis. Stick with the one you've got.
Are you here all week?
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #53
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

This would be a great signing along the lines of Neil Smith - still productive vet looking to finish out his career with a ring. If he's willing to come in under those terms, I think he will be very cap friendly. We are in "WIN NOW" mode, so in many ways our thinking should be like back in 1997.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #54
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
I knew I was going to get **** for calling Jackson the same player as Willis, but he is. He's a little bigger, sure, but they're both older (Jackson is younger, but has WAY more miles on him), they have the same running style, neither is dynamic in the passing game.
Jackson is one of the best receiving backs in the league. How many others have a 90 catch season under their belts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Because we get him for a year and then hace to get a new back. If we are on the hunt for one, draft fresh legs and move on.
Between Moreno and Hillman, Denver has 4 fresh legs. It's not another young RB who needs to learn the NFL ropes Denver needs. It's a dynamic, pass-catching bruiser like Jackson. As for Jackson lasting 1 year, that's kind of the point. Rotational RB is a short-term position as it is. Fill that need via FA and attempt to get the long-term Mike LB, interior OL, interior DL, and CB via the draft.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 01-20-2013 at 09:12 AM..
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #55
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Sucks for Jackson he wasted his great talent with such a **** franchise.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #56
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I knew I was going to get **** for calling Jackson the same player as Willis, but he is. He's a little bigger, sure, but they're both older (Jackson is younger, but has WAY more miles on him), they have the same running style, neither is dynamic in the passing game. Remember, the Rams wanted to bench him this year. There was even talk of him being traded or possibly cut a couple weeks into the season. Where's his upside? Look at his numbers the last few years, and look at Willis' numbers last year and when he was healthy this year. Show me the difference. Willis has better numbers, in fact. I know, we're supposed to hate him because he "developed a fumbling habit"--that's nonsense, random numbers are random. Willis does not have a fumbling history, he just happened to have a poor stretch for us this year. Things happen. Probably the same people who want to cut Champ. To say that Jackson is "better suited to our offense" is to say what, exactly? Why is he better suited? Because of all those dominant up-tempo offenses he's played in?
Jackson has average 45 catches per season. You're catching **** because you're making stuff up. Jackson has been great out of the backfield.

Let's not forget Jackson has played against stacked fronts basically his entire career.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #57
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Everyone knows that Chris Perry was dog****. Steven Jackson has been balling since Pontius Pilate. Pretty nice to see two players still on the teams that drafted them all those years later. Oh well. Nobody got time travel.
I was in Iraq for that draft. I was SO excited about DJ Williams when I finally got to hear.

TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #58
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Bring him in and worry about cuts later. Hillman can't pick up the blitz, didn't bust **** out, can't pick up tough yards and couldn't salt the game away, pulling only 3 yards on 2 carries when a first would have ended it. If we're looking to dump somebody that would be the guy.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #59
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The point is we are in a win now mode for the next 2, possibly next 3 years. We could sign Jackson for that duration. While it's great to develop our own talent, having a back like Jackson would open things up in the middle and back of the field. Plus, like McDMan said, Jackson has been going against heavy loaded fronts for the most of his career, and his OL was never solid outside their retired All-PRO left tackle.

And for those who say RBs decline after 30, well... he will be 29. Priest Holmes started kicking ass when he got near 30 and into his 30s.

We wouldn't have to worry about running for crucial short gains, and Fox would have the bruiser he likes that controls the game and brings pain to the defense.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #60
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Jackson has average 45 catches per season. You're catching **** because you're making stuff up. Jackson has been great out of the backfield.

Let's not forget Jackson has played against stacked fronts basically his entire career.
I don't care how many catches a back gets, I care what they do with them. Catch numbers for a back are often a result of being in a poor offense, which Jackson has been for his entire career save his rookie year. Do you think winners like Concussed Marc Bulger were throwing Jackson the rock because he was too good to ignore in space, or because they were bad quarterbacks?

I like the argument that Jackson faced "stacked boxes." I said compare his last couple years with Mcgahee's. I guess the ten in the box Willis faced last year doesn't count?

I'm not saying Jackson is terrible. I'm saying he's not much better than Mcgahee, and that they are the same type of player.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #61
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I don't care how many catches a back gets, I care what they do with them
Keep digging that hole, douche.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...he-catch/2006/
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #62
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Seriously, who ever thinks Jackson and Willis are on the same level needs CAT scan. And trying to compare Willis last years number is laughable. If there is someone that benefited from the Tebow offense, it was the running game, specially WM. Look at most of his runs, he was going through huge holes. Had he had more speed, he would have had an even better year. Sure he was goitng agains 10 man fronts, but most of those men where zeroed in on Tebow. Look at the film, not the stats.

Sure you could say the are both bruising type backs, but the truth is that Jackson doesn't bruise. He punishes! We need that attitude in the offense. If Jackson is available and his demands are acceptable, go for it!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #63
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Elway knows that Manning and this offense needs a good RB..Moreno is good..But, he keeps getting hurt..If he was not injured last week, we would have easily won the game.
Last week we were not lucky..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #64
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Wow, I didn't know the 23 year old Steven Jackson was on the market
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #65
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
cheap FAs are usually cheap for reason, either they're rotational players or too over the hill to command a lot of money.
Given your statement, what was the assessment of McGahee before the Broncos signed him. We could almost use your exact words. A motivated veteran with a change in locale can be a very good addition for a couple of years. I don't know if Jackson is motivated to play hard any longer. However, Willis was one of the best FA signings in the last 3 years. Jackson could be too.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #66
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Maybe, like I said there will be backs available. I like Wisconsin's Montee Ball better. When he is not getting beat up that is.
ok the last one.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #67
jerseyboiler120

Last one?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #68
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
ok the last one.
Are you really jerking your own dick in about four old threads?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #69
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Are you really jerking your own dick in about four old threads?

I am done now though.

I have been married a long time I realize if I don't jerk my own dick no one will.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #70
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

I am done now though.

I have been married a long time I realize if I don't jerk my own dick no one will.
That's pretty funny. Good call on Montee, maybe you can take over from Orange Empire as our next draft insider. (or was it Empire Orange?)

cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote