The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cutting Moreno would be dumb. Cutting McGahee would make a lot more sense with his age and injury issues.

I'd love to see a RB like Jackson. Instantly upgrades the team at a need position.
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #27
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
cheap FAs are usually cheap for reason, either they're rotational players or too over the hill to command a lot of money.
That is BS. Bannan, Adams, Dressen, Tamme, Stokley, Poppin, Carter all cheap good FA. Denver needs to build through the draft and re-sign their own players they have targeted.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #28
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Cutting Moreno would be dumb. Cutting McGahee would make a lot more sense with his age and injury issues.

I'd love to see a RB like Jackson. Instantly upgrades the team at a need position.
Jackson averaged 4.1 yards and only 4 TDs. He is almost 30 years-old. McGahee at least averaged 4.4 yards per carry. signing Jackson would be wasting money. He might be an upgrade but not really that much of one and for how long? 2 years
Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #29
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
What are the contract demands...

I would cut McGahee and Moreno to free up almost $5 million in cap space for him!

Then draft Lattimore knowing he can rehab and eventually take over that role. And Hillman is your change of pace back.
why?

and then replace him with a guy coming off 2 serious leg injuries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Jackson averaged 4.1 yards and only 4 TDs. He is almost 30 years-old. McGahee at least averaged 4.4 yards per carry. signing Jackson would be wasting money. He might be an upgrade but not really that much of one and for how long? 2 years
Averaging 4.1 ypc with Sam Bradford at QB is more impressive than 4.4 in Manning's O.
I think he'd be a good fit as a rotational back but probably only if he comes cheap and on a short-term deal.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 01-18-2013 at 08:48 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Cutting DJ and using his cap hit to sign Jackson would bring balance to the universe.
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #31
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Only if he comes cheap as **** because he wants a trophy.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #32
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
for how long? 2 years
That's pretty much our current window for any championship aspirations.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #33
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
why?

and then replace him with a guy coming off 2 serious leg injuries?

Averaging 4.1 ypc with Sam Bradford at QB is more impressive than 4.4 in Manning's O.
I think he'd be a good fit as a rotational back but probably only if he comes cheap and on a short-term deal.
Yeah and is Jackson getting any younger? Denver has Clady, Miller, Woodyard, Harris, Carter, Beadles, Walton, Thomas and Decker all coming up in their contract years in the next two or three years. These are all talented young players that will provide more to Denver than Jackson. Draft another RB and throw them in the mix.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #34
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
That's pretty much our current window for any championship aspirations.
Unless Brock turns into the second coming... which would be awesome.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #35
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
What are the contract demands...

I would cut McGahee and Moreno to free up almost $5 million in cap space for him!

Then draft Lattimore knowing he can rehab and eventually take over that role. And Hillman is your change of pace back.
Except for the cutting Moreno part, I am all on board with this idea.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #36
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Yeah and is Jackson getting any younger? Denver has Clady, Miller, Woodyard, Harris, Carter, Beadles, Walton, Thomas and Decker all coming up in their contract years in the next two or three years. These are all talented young players that will provide more to Denver than Jackson. Draft another RB and throw them in the mix.
Quote:
How does that preclude from Denver extending any of the players you listed?
If Denver ditches McGahee for Jackso they still manage to get younger & more talented at RB--like I said, only if it's affordable and short term.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 01-18-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #37
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Except for Miller, Thomas and Clady, we will not have to break the bank on any of the other players. Plus come on, it would be a 3 year max, say around 4 mill a year. Wouldn't you take it? Dude is a consistent punishing machine. Just the type of runner we need. Bring the pain to the defense.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #38
extralife
Ring of Famer

I knew I was going to get **** for calling Jackson the same player as Willis, but he is. He's a little bigger, sure, but they're both older (Jackson is younger, but has WAY more miles on him), they have the same running style, neither is dynamic in the passing game. Remember, the Rams wanted to bench him this year. There was even talk of him being traded or possibly cut a couple weeks into the season. Where's his upside? Look at his numbers the last few years, and look at Willis' numbers last year and when he was healthy this year. Show me the difference. Willis has better numbers, in fact. I know, we're supposed to hate him because he "developed a fumbling habit"--that's nonsense, random numbers are random. Willis does not have a fumbling history, he just happened to have a poor stretch for us this year. Things happen. Probably the same people who want to cut Champ. To say that Jackson is "better suited to our offense" is to say what, exactly? Why is he better suited? Because of all those dominant up-tempo offenses he's played in?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #39
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

You think Lacy will be available with our second pick? Not happening. We will be lucky if he is there with our first pick. We have other holes that we can use draft picks on.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #40
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Except for Miller, Thomas and Clady, we will not have to break the bank on any of the other players. Plus come on, it would be a 3 year max, say around 4 mill a year. Wouldn't you take it? Dude is a consistent punishing machine. Just the type of runner we need. Bring the pain to the defense.
I disagree Decker will get big bucks. Harris was getting Probowl attention this year at CB. He could be a $10 million player by the time his contract runs out.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #41
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
I'm not convinced McGahee is a very good fit for the Manning offense. He's not much of a threat as a received out of the backfield. He's on the wrong side of 30 and coming off another knee injury. He seems to have developed an issue with ball security.

Moreno outplayed him after McGahee's injury and, from what I can tell, did fine as a pass blocker. Hillman's big issues are pass blocking and ball security. But that's a decent tandem to work with.

That said, if Jackson signs a very cap-friendly one-year deal for Denver I could see it working. He's not the RB he was 5 years ago and he's had durability issues his entire career. But he's a tough runner and an exceptional receiving back. So yeah, bring him in for a look and if he's cheap and short-term, why not?

Article says he is 29, right?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #42
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Look at his numbers the last few years, and look at Willis' numbers last year and when he was healthy this year. Show me the difference. Willis has better numbers, in fact
Attachment 32031

Attachment 32032

Attachment 32033

Attachment 32034

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 10-18-2013 at 06:23 PM..
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #43
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

It seems like it was only yesterday that we passed up on this guy. . . mother****er.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #44
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

On the cheap? Hell yeah, bring him in. I think he's probably got a couple of years of decent production left. Certainly better than Willis or KM.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #45
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I said there was a chance. I think a lot of it depends on what GB plans on doing as they might draft a RB in the first round. No doubt Lacy has really helped himself late in the season.

three mocks where he makes it in the 2nd round.

55. Green Bay Packers: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
James Starks has yet to prove that he can stay healthy, while Alex Green has shown nothing in several starts. Cedric Benson is obviously not a long-term answer, though I've been impressed with DuJuan Harris in his limited action. Still, the Packers may address the running back position early in the 2013 NFL Draft. Eddie Lacy and Harris would complement each other pretty well.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2013_2.php

51. Cincinnati - Eddie Lacy (RB, Alabama)
http://nbadraftguru.blogspot.com/201...rounds_18.html

42. New York Jets: Eddie Lacey, RB, Alabama
http://newnfldraft.com/2013-nfl-mock...d-round-41-48/

Me personally, I would not draft him.
You act like GB is the only team that needs a RB. Look at the Steelers rushing stats. Once the combine comes he will prove he is the first RB that is coming off the board. Also you are nuts for not wanting to draft him. Also there has never been a draft where a RB hasn't been drafted in the first round. With Lacy in the draft there is no reason to think that will change.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #46
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
4+ ypc and 1k season along w/ 38 receptions in 2012
The Rams are rebuilding and his contract is too high as it is. That's probably why he's not back in StL. Not because he's an ineffective RB.

if he comes in as a role player (not a bellcow back) and signs a cap-friendly 1-year deal, why not?
Because we get him for a year and then hace to get a new back. If we are on the hunt for one, draft fresh legs and move on.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #47
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
You act like GB is the only team that needs a RB. Look at the Steelers rushing stats. Once the combine comes he will prove he is the first RB that is coming off the board. Also you are nuts for not wanting to draft him. Also there has never been a draft where a RB hasn't been drafted in the first round. With Lacy in the draft there is no reason to think that will change.
Maybe, like I said there will be backs available. I like Wisconsin's Montee Ball better. When he is not getting beat up that is.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #48
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
It seems like it was only yesterday that we passed up on this guy. . . mother****er.
I'm not sure why people always go Ed Reeeeeeeed on him....considering that he was not even the Broncos highest rated back. Denver actually had Michigan's Chris Perry rated as their top back that year. I'm pretty sure DJ has had a much much more successful career than Chris Perry.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #49
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Cutting DJ and using his cap hit to sign Jackson would bring balance to the universe.
furthermore, Denver originally started with pick #24 that year. The spot where SJ was selected
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #50
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'm not sure why people always go Ed Reeeeeeeed on him....considering that he was not even the Broncos highest rated back. Denver actually had Michigan's Chris Perry rated as their top back that year. I'm pretty sure DJ has had a much much more successful career than Chris Perry.
Everyone knows that Chris Perry was dog****. Steven Jackson has been balling since Pontius Pilate. Pretty nice to see two players still on the teams that drafted them all those years later. Oh well. Nobody got time travel.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote