The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Von rushing passer only 37% of the time?

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ouchdown-catch

Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller's snap counts:

Attachment 32023

The percentage of snaps in which Dumervil and Miller were rushing the passer in the rematch are horrifying--some of their their lowest percentages of the season. Miller's percentage was his fourth lowest (behind the games against Houston, New England, and week 17 against Kansas City) while Dumervil's was is fifth lowest (behind games against Houston, New England, and both matchups against Kansas City).

The main lesson is that the Broncos can't cause as much damage with their rush when playing in close games or from behinds (or against teams that rarely pass, Brady Quinn). But it also raises another question: Should Von Miller ever drop into coverage a dozne times, no matter the situation? Sure, he's become a complete linebacker, but I'd rather have the next Derrick Thomas rushing the quaterback if I can get it. Had Von rushed the passer in the 59-yard strike to Smith, it may not have mattered if Bailey was beaten or not. Flacco might not have had the time to find out.

In the second half, the Broncos went back to their Cover 2 shell as Boldin thought they might do, and the Broncos had more success--we count the Moore debacle as a freak accident--but by then the damage was done. The Cover 1 had failed, for a lot of reasons, to produce results.

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 10-18-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Gutless Drunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I just read this article and was going to post. Really good read (I highly recommend reading the whole thing), but certainly not making me feel any better...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Sounds like the Broncos should do what they have to in order to draft Kevin Minter. We've gone long enough without a MLB that can cover.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I pointed this out when he was drafted but he is playing OLB in a 4-3. As a result he's going to be limited in the amt of times he's able to after the QB. Doom as DE in a 4-3 is going to have a opportunity on every play whether to play run or pass,and going to have a higher percentage.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

yes, Von was needed in coverage, Rice out of the backfield and their TE's are dangerous if you leave them unchecked.
this further proves that we badly need a MLB in the draft. cannot get out of the first two rounds without a MLB.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Has Fox and or Del Rio ever started a rookie MLB?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
I pointed this out when he was drafted but he is playing OLB in a 4-3. As a result he's going to be limited in the amt of times he's able to after the QB. Doom as DE in a 4-3 is going to have a opportunity on every play whether to play run or pass,and going to have a higher percentage.
playing OLB allows him to do more than just rush the passer and come from the DE position.
plus he would need to bulk up to 245-250 to play through the entire season as a pure DE.

this is why so many of us want to see a MLB and DT added via the draft fairly high. the MLB can take more coverage assignments and allow Von to show as a LB but rush the passer and also the DT can help eat up blockers.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
jmz313
Ring of Famer

We played with a large lead in the first game. Lots of obvious passing downs. i'm not shocked at all at those percentages. Baltimore abandoned the run in week 15 cause they were getting blown out.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
They started arookie SLB.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Shouldn't we be counting the number of times rushing the passer on passing downs? So really 28/40 times, so 70%
MplsBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Del Rio not as a HC, but only 4 times in his tenure with Jacksonville did they draft a LB higher than the 4th round. most of them were ILB tweener types who had to move to OLB.

Fox started Morgan(i think Del Rio was still the DC then) and Beason at MLB in Carolina as rookies. Will Witherspoon replaced Morgan in his rookie year as MLB when Morgan went down with injury.

if you look at the draft history of fox at LB, a guy like Olgetree would make a lot of sense, considering Fox has always had smaller more athletic LB's.

Last edited by Lestat; 01-18-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Well, looks like Tony Carter is an RFA...so he will remain a Bronco.

I think the Broncos started out the game in Cover 1, in order to practice it to get ready for the Patriots. Bailey was the only DB playing man coverage. That is the coverage I thought they would employ (in order to be able to stop the running game with a 4-man line). It didn't work.

After the Broncos got beat several times deep, they reverted back to a Cover 2 shell. Unfortunately, that leaves only 6 men in the box...which the Broncos could not use to stop the Patriots running game unless they had a major upgrade at either SS or MLB (the Ravens stopped the Broncos running game out of Nickel personnel the entire game).

Would drafting Minter enable the Broncos to stop the Ravens/Patriots running game with 6 in the box? Can the Broncos ever effectively play Cover 1 with their current personnel?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

They've done studies you know. 37% of the time, he rushed the passer every time.

He's the sex panther of our defense.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I noticed that during the game but it really goes to show you how great of a player he is and how he makes up for a LOT of the lack of talent on this defense.

In the first game he rushed a majority of the time and/or played around the LOS and their TE killed us and we kept Rice in check - plus Flacco was under pressure for almost every throw and he was really out of rhythm.

The second game he dropped back quite a bit and their TE was held in check but Rice gouged us and Flacco had all day to throw.

I have no idea why they changed their defensive strategy for the second game.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
playing OLB allows him to do more than just rush the passer and come from the DE position.
plus he would need to bulk up to 245-250 to play through the entire season as a pure DE.

this is why so many of us want to see a MLB and DT added via the draft fairly high. the MLB can take more coverage assignments and allow Von to show as a LB but rush the passer and also the DT can help eat up blockers.
I'm not advocating that miller be moved to DE, if its a problem that miller is not rushing the QB enough then it would be better to switch to a 3-4 base defense.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

You could always draft a monster NT (who actually needs to be double-teamed) so the Broncos can generate pressure out of a 4-man Defensive Line...because they sure can't now.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Well, looks like Tony Carter is an RFA...so he will remain a Bronco.

I think the Broncos started out the game in Cover 1, in order to practice it to get ready for the Patriots. Bailey was the only DB playing man coverage. That is the coverage I thought they would employ (in order to be able to stop the running game with a 4-man line). It didn't work.

After the Broncos got beat several times deep, they reverted back to a Cover 2 shell. Unfortunately, that leaves only 6 men in the box...which the Broncos could not use to stop the Patriots running game unless they had a major upgrade at either SS or MLB (the Ravens stopped the Broncos running game out of Nickel personnel the entire game).

Would drafting Minter enable the Broncos to stop the Ravens/Patriots running game with 6 in the box? Can the Broncos ever effectively play Cover 1 with their current personnel?
i like Minter, but the MLB i really want is Andrew Jackson of WKU. he's not a typical Fox LB but he's going to be really good and i think can be had in the 2nd round. which would allow us to focus on DL or OL in the first.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
I'm not advocating that miller be moved to DE, if its a problem that miller is not rushing the QB enough then it would be better to switch to a 3-4 base defense.
switching to a 3-4 base means another shift in personnel and getting a elite NT.
the 4-3 is fine, we just need a MLB and another good DT to pair with Wolfe(though granted he spends a lot of time at DE)
Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
I noticed that during the game but it really goes to show you how great of a player he is and how he makes up for a LOT of the lack of talent on this defense.

In the first game he rushed a majority of the time and/or played around the LOS and their TE killed us and we kept Rice in check - plus Flacco was under pressure for almost every throw and he was really out of rhythm.

The second game he dropped back quite a bit and their TE was held in check but Rice gouged us and Flacco had all day to throw.

I have no idea why they changed their defensive strategy for the second game.
Count me in also.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
For all intents and purposes, we play a 3-4 now
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Last sat was a crappy loss and a crappy gameplan. Overall the broncos defense is pretty good
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
switching to a 3-4 base means another shift in personnel and getting a elite NT.
the 4-3 is fine, we just need a MLB and another good DT to pair with Wolfe(though granted he spends a lot of time at DE)
That's what FA & the draft is for. KC runs a 3-4 & they don't have a monster NT. You act as if the entire scheme depends on having "elite" NT. I'm not saying NT isn't important but it is not the most essential part of the scheme.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Last sat was a crappy loss and a crappy gameplan. Overall the broncos defense is pretty good
This. We had the #2 ranked defense at the end of the year and led the league in sacks. Can we get better? Sure. Do we need to completely change our system? No.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #24
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
That's what FA & the draft is for. KC runs a 3-4 & they don't have a monster NT. You act as if the entire scheme depends on having "elite" NT. I'm not saying NT isn't important but it is not the most essential part of the scheme.
the Chiefs LB's are pretty damn good as a unit though. plus Poe played pretty well as the season progressed. we also don't have a Eric Berry.

the problems we had before when playing the 3-4 are the same now as they were then. we don't have guys who can swallow up blocks and allow the LB's/DE's to make plays. we have a suspect secondary and outside of Ayers no real DE who can anchor the end to hold the run game in check.
Wolfe is still learning, Doom is ok against the run but not ideal in a 3-4.
the personnel we have is fit for a 4-3 and while we can run a hybrid front at times we can't run a 3-4 as a the base without overhauling the DL and LB positions.

also, Elway likes the draft to improve, look at the DT's we've passed on in FA.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
the Chiefs LB's are pretty damn good as a unit though. plus Poe played pretty well as the season progressed. we also don't have a Eric Berry.

the problems we had before when playing the 3-4 are the same now as they were then. we don't have guys who can swallow up blocks and allow the LB's/DE's to make plays. we have a suspect secondary and outside of Ayers no real DE who can anchor the end to hold the run game in check.
Wolfe is still learning, Doom is ok against the run but not ideal in a 3-4.
the personnel we have is fit for a 4-3 and while we can run a hybrid front at times we can't run a 3-4 as a the base without overhauling the DL and LB positions.

also, Elway likes the draft to improve, look at the DT's we've passed on in FA.
You're underestimating the personal we have & overestimating the move to 3-4.
Doom & miller are both prototypical 3-4 OLBs. Both have 3-4 experience. As matter of fact quite a lot of the players we have at LB have 3-4 experience. Yes we have to draft a not but to say the personel on defense isn't suited for a 3-4 isn't correct.

BTW,although I prefer a 3-4 base over a 4-3 doesn't mean we change up what we are already doing on defense.