The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #26
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I meant to say that I hate offseasons threads in January. Meaning we failed at not getting to the Super Bowl. Sorry about that. MacGruder part still stands.

MacGruder, obviously anti Gravity had a key in their deaths.
Don't we all regret that. Skoal, brotha. As Earl Campbell used to say. MacGruder has been fine in this thread though, no reason to attack him here.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #27
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Don't we all regret that. Skoal, brotha. As Earl Campbell used to say. MacGruder has been fine in this thread though, no reason to attack him here.
That's like saying if carrot top walked into an ice cream shop he'd be cool.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #28
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You are a global catastrophe that no one will remember
For the theme of this thread, you're on the hunt for MacGruder, same as just about everybody. MacGruder outrun you though. Kind of left you in the mud. You get the picture. Gonna have to chase him elsewhere.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #29
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
That's like saying if carrot top walked into an ice cream shop he'd be cool.
I do believe we've gone far away from the OP. Which wasn't all that great.

Nevertheless, it is amazing that watering holes that existed 150,000 years ago still exist today. We still depend on them.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #30
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

You can poke around in the dirt up in the mountains and find seashell fossils. Neat, eh?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #31
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

How far are we for making Jrassic Park a reality? I know they wooly mammoths will probably be resurrected at some point before 2050.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #32
Meck77

Quote:
Here's the Nova link:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/i...eath-trap.html

Kind of cool that was a watering hole for 150,000 years that still exists to this day. It was an existing reservoir that they wanted to expand.
My good friend Kirk Johnson led the dig. He worked for the Denver Museum for years. He recently landed the top job at the Smithsonian!

Went fishing with this dude down the Amazon years ago. He's as close to Indian Jones as America has! He's currently on a dig in Africa.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #33
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
My good friend Kirk Johnson led the dig. He worked for the Denver Museum for years. He recently landed the top job at the Smithsonian!

Went fishing with this dude down the Amazon years ago. He's as close to Indian Jones as America has! He's currently on a dig in Africa.

You call him Dr. Jones!
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #34
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
How far are we for making Jrassic Park a reality? I know they wooly mammoths will probably be resurrected at some point before 2050.
Back in September they found a Wolly Mammoth in Siberia that was really really well preserved and talks were hot for a few weeks that they would try cloning it... then more quietly in October they announced they couldn't clone it because the DNA had been damaged by cold temperatures... the same cold temperatures that made it so well preserved.

What the hell is wrong with Prater? Someone should kick him.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #35
Meck77

The crew in Snowmass. That's Dr. Johnson. Front and center. Badass!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #36
Meck77

The crew in Snowmass. That's Dr. Johnson. Front and center. Badass!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #37
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:

The Denver Museum of Nature and Science, though not as "exciting" as a lot of our other national museums, is often on the forefront of many great archaeological, paleontological, and astronomical explorations and discoveries. They also have some really cool adult programs, like their 3rd Thursday Adult Science Lounge where they combine boozing with learnings after the museum is closed. You can get great photos of Polar Bears and you drinking a margarita during these times. People in Denver looking for more activities should give these a adult science lounges a check out.

http://www.dmns.org/learn/adults/the-science-lounge/

Does anyone else think that there should be more focus on getting the NFL officiating under better control? Perhaps making every play challengeable? That **** last week was unacceptable.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #38
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Back in September they found a Wolly Mammoth in Siberia that was really really well preserved and talks were hot for a few weeks that they would try cloning it... then more quietly in October they announced they couldn't clone it because the DNA had been damaged by cold temperatures... the same cold temperatures that made it so well preserved.

What the hell is wrong with Prater? Someone should kick him.
That's what I was referencing. How does cold damage DNA? Disappointing. I wonder if at some point we'll just "guess" / interpolate (if that's possible) and make these frankencreatures that we think are what the woolly mammoth was.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #39
Meck77

Quote:
The Denver Museum of Nature and Science, though not as "exciting" as a lot of our other national museums, is often on the forefront of many great archaeological, paleontological, and astronomical explorations and discoveries. They also have some really cool adult programs, like their 3rd Thursday Adult Science Lounge where they combine boozing with learnings after the museum is closed. You can get great photos of Polar Bears and you drinking a margarita during these times. People in Denver looking for more activities should give these a adult science lounges a check out.
This is exactly the reason Kirk landed the job at the Natural History museum in DC. I just toured it a couple weeks ago. I thought the Smithsonian exhibits would be leading edge! Instead the museum was pretty bland and not very interactive at all. His budget is something like $80 million bucks though. He'll turn it around!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #40
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Adult Science Lounge ftw. They throw some parties here in NY at the Museum of Natural History planetarium but you're never allowed to explore (at the Guggenheim you are which is cool but we're talking science).
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #41
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
You can poke around in the dirt up in the mountains and find seashell fossils. Neat, eh?
It is kind of cool. The Dakota Ridge along the front range, it's limestone that got cracked and upheaved when the Rockies poked up and you can find old shells sometimes embedded in the limestone. Millions of years old. Pretty cool.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #42
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

He struck me as a badass kind of guy from seeing him on some local programs. An academic, but a badass.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

There's a couple of natural springs I know of locally, what is interesting is they have a pulse. They don't just flow regularly, they pulse. One of them pulses in a weird kind of way. If you sit there long enough it pulses regularly for about 5 minutes, then it pauses for about 30 seconds, then a big gush, then back to the regular pulses. Then it just keeps repeating it. I was down at Chatfield fishing a couple years ago and the pond I was at just erupted, the whole dang pond was filled with bubbles from some kind of burp. Never seen it before, haven't seen it since. Just a burp. I love this kind of stuff, makes life interesting. I guess it's not that unusual since Yellowstone is only 400 miles away, but it sure does make life interesting here.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #44
MacGruder

Quote:
There's a couple of natural springs I know of locally, what is interesting is they have a pulse. They don't just flow regularly, they pulse. One of them pulses in a weird kind of way. If you sit there long enough it pulses regularly for about 5 minutes, then it pauses for about 30 seconds, then a big gush, then back to the regular pulses. Then it just keeps repeating it. I was down at Chatfield fishing a couple years ago and the pond I was at just erupted, the whole dang pond was filled with bubbles from some kind of burp. Never seen it before, haven't seen it since. Just a burp. I love this kind of stuff, makes life interesting. I guess it's not that unusual since Yellowstone is only 400 miles away, but it sure does make life interesting here.
Keep in mind that everything in the universe is electrical... especially the sun and the planets. Then realize that water is a diamagnetic substance.

As for the bubbles... that could be scary..many of these lakes and ponds have gaseous emissions... there was an event not long ago where a whole town died from a huge gas emissions from a lake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos

Last edited by MacGruder; 01-18-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #45
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
OT, but did anybody see this? It was a nice program, but they featured a really creepy old dude, Daniel Fisher.

That dude creeped me out. He's talking about "mass die-offs (smile), you can see how a whole Mastodon family died (smile), they all died right here (smile), you can see all their bones (smile), they all came here at one time and died (smile)"

I've been around some academics that loved their work, but this guy Daniel Fisher is creepy. Proctologist kind of creepy, but in an archaeological kind of way.
I saw it, I am a Nova junkie but I usually don't watch the archaeology shows much but I sat through this one, it was actually interesting. I think it was on last year and I skipped it then.

I liked the idea that the newer aged finds were from people storing the kills in the water to keep them preserved longer. It was interesting to see how long of a time all the bones were from.

I like the space stuff more. Really only watched it because in CO but it was well done and worth the watch.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #46
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
Keep in mind that everything in the universe is electrical... especially the sun and the planets. Then realize that water is a diamagnetic substance.

As for the bubbles... that could be scary..many of these lakes and ponds have gaseous emissions... there was an event not long ago where a whole town died from a huge gas emissions from a lake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos
Me and my fishing buddy didn't notice any weird smell. We were just kind of stunned to see that. Had the dog with us and she didn't do anything unusual. But yeah, in some places there is some toxic gases that escape. Not so much in North America, even Yellowstone.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #47
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Thanks for this thread. I am less likely to punch people after having reviewed this and thought about science. Science can't lie to you or kneel down with 31 seconds to go.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #48
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Seismic activity over about a 150,000 year period. The watering hole was there for all that time, but there was seismic activity that caught some groups (smile) in liquefaction (smile) once every few thousand years (smile).

Sand liquefaction was the explanation, as a result of seismic activity.
That creeps me out. Where I live they say a sizeable earthquake would turn my area to sand. There would be no running from that.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #49
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I saw it, I am a Nova junkie but I usually don't watch the archaeology shows much but I sat through this one, it was actually interesting. I think it was on last year and I skipped it then.

I liked the idea that the newer aged finds were from people storing the kills in the water to keep them preserved longer. It was interesting to see how long of a time all the bones were from.

I like the space stuff more. Really only watched it because in CO but it was well done and worth the watch.
Keeping the kills in the water also doesn't attract predators, I can see that as a survival strategy. Back in those days there was wolves galore, grizzlies, the humans weren't top of the heap, they were just trying to compete and survive.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #50
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Thanks for this thread. I am less likely to punch people after having reviewed this and thought about science. Science can't lie to you or kneel down with 31 seconds to go.
Science can and does lie to us every day as funded by groups whose interest it is to have us believe one thing or not. There just isn't a significant interest in having us believe dinosaurs didn't exist.

Good science doesn't lie but finding it as pertains to many areas (health being the obvious) is an acquired skill.