The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,910
Default

Champ place will not change, is a HOF corner that we have been very lucky to have on our team. Plus improve pass rush next season will help him play corner if he really has lost any speed.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #27
jerseyboiler120
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I don't think it will change his place in Bronco or NFL history. He's had a game here and there like this over the past few seasons, but most corners do. It does show his age, but at the same time every good game he plays defies his age.

What angers me most though is the first td never should have been an offensive play for the ravens. The refs gave them a freebie first down on that grossly ticky-tack PI call on Carter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #28
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 View Post
I don't think it will change his place in Bronco or NFL history. He's had a game here and there like this over the past few seasons, but most corners do. It does show his age, but at the same time every good game he plays defies his age.

What angers me most though is the first td never should have been an offensive play for the ravens. The refs gave them a freebie first down on that grossly ticky-tack PI call on Carter.
I don't think it was even ticky-tack. I think it was straight up wrong. Corners have the right to any spot they wish as long as they don't impede the receiver. Carter immediately established textbook position and carried it through the play.

The ONLY thing you can quibble about was the fact he was turned the wrong direction early in the play. However he corrected without initiating contact and simply carried his position through the play.

It was *perfect* coverage and a terrible call.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #29
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,823

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I don't think it was even ticky-tack. I think it was straight up wrong. Corners have the right to any spot they wish as long as they don't impede the receiver. Carter immediately established textbook position and carried it through the play.

The ONLY thing you can quibble about was the fact he was turned the wrong direction early in the play. However he corrected without initiating contact and simply carried his position through the play.

It was *perfect* coverage and a terrible call.
The question to me is why is Tony Carter playing LCB? That's Champs spot. I didn't see Tony Carter playing LCB the entire regular season, then all of a sudden Carter is there and Champ is playing slot. WTF?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #30
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
The question to me is why is Tony Carter playing LCB? That's Champs spot. I didn't see Tony Carter playing LCB the entire regular season, then all of a sudden Carter is there and Champ is playing slot. WTF?
I wish they hadn't stolen game rewind from me...cause I'd love to cite examples.

Carter played all over the field this season actually. I think it has a lot to do with how good he was that you didn't notice. It was much more obvious on the coaches film.

Probably the biggest change this year is that they were playing a LOT of man-to-man and they were doing it based on matchups. Generally JDR stuck Champ on the other teams best receiver and then found the best matchup for Carter and Harris. Every corner (outside of zone) was really playing all over the field.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #31
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,823

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I wish they hadn't stolen game rewind from me...cause I'd love to cite examples.

Carter played all over the field this season actually. I think it has a lot to do with how good he was that you didn't notice. It was much more obvious on the coaches film.

Probably the biggest change this year is that they were playing a LOT of man-to-man and they were doing it based on matchups. Generally JDR stuck Champ on the other teams best receiver and then found the best matchup for Carter and Harris. Every corner (outside of zone) was really playing all over the field.
I can't remember any time Tony Carter played LCB until last Saturday. If you can find it that's great.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #32
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

why was he lined up on him anyway? chris harris is much faster and honestly better right now on downfield throws. champ will remove a possession receiver from the game with the best in the NFL. coaches get confused?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #33
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,268

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Give me a break. The guy had a bad game. He however also had a great year. Credit to T. Smith for making plays. A bad game does not define a career, look at Elway's post season record. Hell, we could have three more super bowl trophy's sitting at Dove Valley.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
"I'm told future Hall of Fame corner Champ Bailey remains despondent -- a word used to describe him by a source -- over getting torched by Baltimore's Torrey Smith. There are some people (including me) that practically worship Bailey and were utterly stunned at how easily he was getting beat. It was as if someone flipped a switch and he was suddenly old.

Some people will claim they saw this coming but anyone who does isn't being truthful. I spoke to Bailey extensively this past summer, as well as teammates, and there was no hint of a drop-off.

So what does Bailey do now? Bailey is a 12-time Pro Bowler and lock for the Hall, but -- at least for the moment -- I'm told he has no immediate plans to retire"
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...ll-wears-crown
When youre old, the cold weather is less forgiving. The joints and muscles don't react as well. Maybe this explains (to some degree) why Champ looked so bad.


But yeah, he blew it. And yes, it will affect his place.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #35
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
I would answer this question with another question.

Did performances in Super Bowl 22 or 24 affect John Elway's place in Broncos history?
That's not even close to being comparable. Nice try though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #36
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Give me a break. The guy had a bad game. He however also had a great year. Credit to T. Smith for making plays. A bad game does not define a career, look at Elway's post season record. Hell, we could have three more super bowl trophy's sitting at Dove Valley.
People need to stop mentioning Elway. Elway had games like "the drive" en route to SBs. Champ doesnt even have that.

Champs biggest moment in the playoffs was almost fumbling the ball away on a long INT return where he was almost ran down from behind by a TE.

So, just shut up with the Elway talk.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #37
Broncos dude
Solid Starter
 
Broncos dude's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Give me a break. The guy had a bad game. He however also had a great year. Credit to T. Smith for making plays. A bad game does not define a career, look at Elway's post season record. Hell, we could have three more super bowl trophy's sitting at Dove Valley.
No joke. My first game in 04 against the radiers in denver he had the worst game, just like last weekend. He will be fine
Broncos dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #38
BroncoFox
Unofficial Cheer******
 
BroncoFox's Avatar
 
If I have fleas.. they are happy.

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,978
Default

He played amazing all year. There is a stat that isn't much heard about, but it's a stat that measures CBs specifically. How many throws against them, how many yards gained, catches and scores, etc. Champ was #1 in the NFL this year.

He had a bad game. He really had two bad plays. He REALLY only had one bad play. He got burned once. The Ravens got VERY lucky with their bomb and hope for the best approach. Their receiver made an amazing play. Champ wasn't even burned - he was right there. There was a fair degree of luck on the second TD catch.

Champ I'm sure feels he played a horrible game. But to hear fans talk about his place in Broncos history because of ONE GAME? You guys suck as fans, if you think that.
BroncoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #39
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFox View Post
He played amazing all year. There is a stat that isn't much heard about, but it's a stat that measures CBs specifically. How many throws against them, how many yards gained, catches and scores, etc. Champ was #1 in the NFL this year.

He had a bad game. He really had two bad plays. He REALLY only had one bad play. He got burned once. The Ravens got VERY lucky with their bomb and hope for the best approach. Their receiver made an amazing play. Champ wasn't even burned - he was right there. There was a fair degree of luck on the second TD catch.

Champ I'm sure feels he played a horrible game. But to hear fans talk about his place in Broncos history because of ONE GAME? You guys suck as fans, if you think that.
Good grief. Enough with the apoligists. He was lit up. It happened. We all saw it. Deal with it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #40
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,268

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
People need to stop mentioning Elway. Elway had games like "the drive" en route to SBs. Champ doesnt even have that.

Champs biggest moment in the playoffs was almost fumbling the ball away on a long INT return where he was almost ran down from behind by a TE.

So, just shut up with the Elway talk.
Did you say *almost* fumbled? As in he didn't and it helped us knock off the defending sb champs? Clown argument, nice try though.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #41
KipCorrington25
Free Safety
 
KipCorrington25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Centennial
Posts: 3,719
Default

He was terrible on a big stage of course it will be remembered but now the onus is on him to bounce back strong next year.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #42
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I don't think it was even ticky-tack. I think it was straight up wrong. Corners have the right to any spot they wish as long as they don't impede the receiver. Carter immediately established textbook position and carried it through the play.

The ONLY thing you can quibble about was the fact he was turned the wrong direction early in the play. However he corrected without initiating contact and simply carried his position through the play.

It was *perfect* coverage and a terrible call.
If you have the WR behind you, you're allowed to use throttle control. What you can't do is stick out your arms. But you can run as slowly as you want and make the WR go around you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #43
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Did you say *almost* fumbled? As in he didn't and it helped us knock off the defending sb champs? Clown argument, nice try though.
No, "almost fumbled" as in, he might have fumbled. The replay couldnt say either way. That doesnt change the fact that he was clowned by a TE who chased him down from behind. Keep swinging (and missing), sport.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #44
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

It does in my eyes. Champ choked bigtime. He saved his worst for a huge game which isn't what great players do.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #45
TomServo
Ring of Famer
 
TomServo's Avatar
 
Dancing is Forbidden!

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,126
Default

love champ but he has lost a step or two..duh. he got burnt and embarrased on the biggest game of his career. after all his being "too proud to play saftey" crap. if he doesnt move to saftey he should retire. bailey? deion sanders? gimme Louis Wright any and everyday. and twice on sundays
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 AM   #46
TomServo
Ring of Famer
 
TomServo's Avatar
 
Dancing is Forbidden!

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,126
Default

corner saftey, safety corner
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #47
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
love champ but he has lost a step or two..duh. he got burnt and embarrased on the biggest game of his career. after all his being "too proud to play saftey" crap. if he doesnt move to saftey he should retire. bailey? deion sanders? gimme Louis Wright any and everyday. and twice on sundays
why are you so stupid?

should every corner who gets burned on TWO ROUTES over the course of A SEASON "move to safety" or retire? boo-hoo, Champ isn't as fast as Torrey Smith. how many corners in the NFL are? a handful? if you're lucky? what were your feelings on Champ Bailey two weeks ago?

here, this should be amusing: what would moving to safety do, specifically? tell me something that you know about football that you didn't read in a newspaper.

(here's one for you: Champ was expecting inside help on the first TD. he didn't get it. go watch the play.)
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #48
TomServo
Ring of Famer
 
TomServo's Avatar
 
Dancing is Forbidden!

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,126
Default

all i know is he got flamed right off the line of scrimmage. i said i loved the guy but his days as CB are Over. he cant run with a fast reciever. that is all. the reciever ran right past him. thats all there is to it.
i suspect your too young to even know who loius wright is but he was better than champ.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #49
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,087
Default

I guess Chris Harris and Tony Carter's days as corners are over, too. After all, they can't run with Torrey Smith. herp derp.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #50
TomServo
Ring of Famer
 
TomServo's Avatar
 
Dancing is Forbidden!

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,126
Default

well i hope they can cause champ cant keep up anymore. herp blah blah. bailey cant play man on man anymore. whats the mystery?
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Denver Broncos