The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Default Ziggy's Pre-Combine, Pre-All Star Games, Post Season Mock

Round 1- DT Jesse Williams 6'3 320

The big man is the type of wide bodied plugger that Del Rio loves at NT. He was athletic enough to play DT, DE, and FB for the Crimson Tide this season. He has a nasty demeanor and a 600 pound bench press. Williams does an outstanding job of holding the POA, and occasionally collapsing the pocket.

Round 2- RB Mike Gillislee 5'11 210

Gillislee is the most overlooked back in this draft. He can run inside, run outside, catch the ball and pick up the blitz. He's got good speed and vision, and is an every down back at the next level.

Round 3- Stedman Bailey 5'10 193

While all eyes were on Teyvon Austin, Bailey had another great season. 114 rec, 1622 yards, and 25 TD's. He can play both outside and in the slot at the next level. He's a bit on the small side and not a blazer, but he'll be starting on Sundays at some point.

Round 4- WR/KR/RB Denard Robinson 5'11 195

Robinson brings the speed to this offense. He's unpolished and inexperienced at WR, but he's a game breaker that can be used in a Percy Harvin type of role. The Broncos need to add more speed in the offseason. By all acounts, Robinson has conceded that he'll be playing another position in the NFL.

Round 6- G James Wilson 6'3 315

Wilson is a powerful drive blocker. He's a bit rough around the edges and is going to take a year or so to develop, but will provide solid depth at guard in the mean time.

Round 7- CB Brandon McGee 6'0 197

McGee has decent size. He's been inconsistent over the last couple years, but he can come in and contribute right away on special teams while he develops. His athletic ability is NFL caliber, but he's going to need some coaching up.

I'd love to have addressed more of our needs, but free agency still looms. This one's just to pass the time, since we all know that players are going to move all over the board after the all star games and underwear olympics.

Last edited by Ziggy; 01-17-2013 at 12:47 AM..
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

I like it. Kind of. I think Bailey goes Late 2nd and I think Gillislee goes in the 3rd or 4th, so in my mind, I'm just switching those two around.

I'm not sold on Jesse Williams yet, but I'm very intrigued. My biggest issue is with his complete lack of production. I know he's hulkish strong and should be a workout warrior of sorts, but he's so raw that it's pretty scary for a 1st round pick. I have no idea where his draft stock will end up. Right now, I'd put him more in the mid round area. There was a ton of hype on Josh Chapman last year around this time as a 1st Rounder, whom put up similar stats, but he ended up in the 6th I think.

So, I'm making a unilateral change and going with Kevin Minter in Round 1. And then, since Trindon Holiday isn't going anywhere, and we drafted Bailey in Round 2, I'm going to make another change, and have us take DT AJ Francis in the 4th (If Jesse Williams isn't still there).

So, yeah, I like it.

1) Kevin Minter
2) Stedman Bailey
3) Mike Gillislee
4) AJ Francis
6) James Wilson
7) Brandon McGee

Excellent draft.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Jesse Williams is an intriguing prospect. I think he's going to do well at the combine by running a sub 5.0 40 and putting up a ton of reps in the bench press. I didn't pick him for that reason though. I like the way he holds the LOS and handles double teams. The Broncos need some muscle in the middle, and desperately need a guy who can collapse the pocket at the NT position.

I'll concede that Bailey lasting to the end of the 3rd is a reach, but I think Gillislee goes before the Broncos pick in the 3rd. He should open some eyes at the senior bowl practices.

Minter seems to be the popular pick on this board, but I'm sticking with the big ugly in the 1st.

Thanks for the input MUG. Good to see you posting more in the offseason.

Last edited by Ziggy; 01-17-2013 at 01:37 AM..
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I like it. Kind of. I think Bailey goes Late 2nd and I think Gillislee goes in the 3rd or 4th, so in my mind, I'm just switching those two around.

I'm not sold on Jesse Williams yet, but I'm very intrigued. My biggest issue is with his complete lack of production. I know he's hulkish strong and should be a workout warrior of sorts, but he's so raw that it's pretty scary for a 1st round pick. I have no idea where his draft stock will end up. Right now, I'd put him more in the mid round area. There was a ton of hype on Josh Chapman last year around this time as a 1st Rounder, whom put up similar stats, but he ended up in the 6th I think.

So, I'm making a unilateral change and going with Kevin Minter in Round 1. And then, since Trindon Holiday isn't going anywhere, and we drafted Bailey in Round 2, I'm going to make another change, and have us take DT AJ Francis in the 4th (If Jesse Williams isn't still there).

So, yeah, I like it.

1) Kevin Minter
2) Stedman Bailey
3) Mike Gillislee
4) AJ Francis
6) James Wilson
7) Brandon McGee

Excellent draft.
I like it too, MUG.
I wasnt to big on Williams right away, and i dont think they will take a DT high, but its a sensible pick, and fills a problem area.
Its just his technique and overall knowledge of the DT spot as an NFL player that i would be a bit worried about, but great attempt at filling a need.
I like the Gillislee pick, and i have mentioned him numerous times as a player that fits well in the DEN offense but is missed by many. He really was a workhorse player for FLA this year. Mug is more than likely right, he will be there in the 3rd, and Bailey will be long gone by the end of the 2nd round. Theres a number of these speedy, quick, smallish WR's in this draft, and teams are gonna use their 2nd to take a luxury/impact player.
Speed kills in the NFL and teams know it.
The 4th round and 6th round picks are the best picks of your mock!!!
Love the Denard Robinson pick, however he sorta cancels out the Bailey pick in a way. Plus Holliday is pretty darn good at KR/PR. Just saying. Bailey is good, but i am not so sure Decker would move inside to the slot, but that Bailey would actually go there.
James Wilson i totally missed so far. Great pick, and a big mauler with a lot of upside. I had the Center for FLA in one of my mocks, but nice find!!

Overall, an intruiging mock with some real suprises!
Good job!
socalorado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Williams is pretty raw, and with the "Manning window" in mind I think they will target someone who can help right away. DTs usually don't make a big impact their first season regardless, and especially not someone who needs a lot of polishing like Williams. Also, I'm not certain we invest a pick in the top 3 rounds on a back again when they just invested in Hillman. If they do, I would expect more of a power back to compliment him.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

A lot of the Broncos Defensive success this season was due to the work that Vickerson, Bannan, Wolfe, and Unrein did to stop the run on the interior DL. I doubt that the Broncos FO believes that spending a 1st round draft pick on another run-stopping DT is a priority this offseason.

That being said, if Kawann Short is available at #28, he presents a ton of value.

I think the top 3 value picks at #28 for the Broncos (as their roster is right now would be):

1. Minter
2. Short
3. Rhodes

I suspect the Broncos will be heavily pursuing CB in Free Agency in order to alleviate pressure to pick one in the 1st round of the draft.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
A lot of the Broncos Defensive success this season was due to the work that Vickerson, Bannan, Wolfe, and Unrein did to stop the run on the interior DL. I doubt that the Broncos FO believes that spending a 1st round draft pick on another run-stopping DT is a priority this offseason.

That being said, if Kawann Short is available at #28, he presents a ton of value.

I think the top 3 value picks at #28 for the Broncos (as their roster is right now would be):

1. Minter
2. Short
3. Rhodes

I suspect the Broncos will be heavily pursuing CB in Free Agency in order to alleviate pressure to pick one in the 1st round of the draft.
Out of curiosity, who?

FA Cornerbacks 2013

Michael Adams ARI
Rashad Johnson ARI
Greg Toler ARI
Robert McClain ATL (RFA)
Brent Grimes ATL
Chris Owens ATL
Chris Johnson BAL
Cary Williams BAL
Leodis McKelvin BUF
Nate Ness CAR (RFA)
Captain Munnerlyn CAR
Zackary Bowman CHI
Kelvin Hayden CHI
D.J. Moore CHI
Pacman Jones CIN
Terence Newman CIN
Dimitri Patterson CLE
Sheldon Brown CLE
Vince Agnew DAL E
Mike Jenkins DAL
Tony Carter DEN
Tracy Porter DEN
Drayton Florence DET
Chris Houston DET
Jacob Lacey DET
Pat Lee DET
Sam Shields GB (RFA)
Alan Ball HOU
Quintin Demps HOU
Brice McCain HOU
Josh Gordy IND (RFA)
Cassius Vaughn IND (RFA)
Darius Butler IND
Jerraud Powers IND
Derek Cox JAC
Rashean Mathis JAC
William Middleton JAC
Travis Daniels KC
Bryan McCann MIA (RFA)
R.J. Stanford MIA (RFA)
Sean Smith MIA
Marcus Sherels MIN E
A.J. Jefferson MIN (RFA)
Malcolm Williams NE E
Will Allen NE
Kyle Arrington NE
Marquice Cole NE
Derrick Martin NE
Aqib Talib NE
Elbert Mack NO
Michael Coe NYG
Justin Tryon NYG
Brian Witherspoon NYG
Isaiah Trufant NYJ (Ex)
Brandian Ross OAK (Ex)
Phillip Adams OAK (RFA)
Coye Francies OAK (RFA)
Ronald Bartell OAK
Joselio Hanson OAK
Shawntae Spencer OAK
Ronald Bartell OAK
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie PHI
Demarcus Van Dyke PIT (Ex)
Will Allen PIT
Keenan Lewis PIT
Chris Carr SD
Antoine Cason SD
Quentin Jammer SD
Marcus Trufant SEA
Tramaine Brock SF (RFA)
Dashon Goldson SF
Bradley Fletcher STL
E.J. Biggers TB
Ryan Mouton TEN
Cedric Griffin WAS
socalorado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
I like it too, MUG.
I wasnt to big on Williams right away, and i dont think they will take a DT high, but its a sensible pick, and fills a problem area.
Its just his technique and overall knowledge of the DT spot as an NFL player that i would be a bit worried about, but great attempt at filling a need.
I like the Gillislee pick, and i have mentioned him numerous times as a player that fits well in the DEN offense but is missed by many. He really was a workhorse player for FLA this year. Mug is more than likely right, he will be there in the 3rd, and Bailey will be long gone by the end of the 2nd round. Theres a number of these speedy, quick, smallish WR's in this draft, and teams are gonna use their 2nd to take a luxury/impact player.
Speed kills in the NFL and teams know it.
The 4th round and 6th round picks are the best picks of your mock!!!
Love the Denard Robinson pick, however he sorta cancels out the Bailey pick in a way. Plus Holliday is pretty darn good at KR/PR. Just saying. Bailey is good, but i am not so sure Decker would move inside to the slot, but that Bailey would actually go there.
James Wilson i totally missed so far. Great pick, and a big mauler with a lot of upside. I had the Center for FLA in one of my mocks, but nice find!!

Overall, an intruiging mock with some real suprises!
Good job!
Thanks Socal. DE wasn't a real big need last season when we took Wolfe with our first pick either. I think that Elway will upgrade any position that he can with the BPA.
Denard isn't a replacement for Trindon Holliday. He's simply there to add a game breaker to the offense. Other than DT we really don't have anyone that can take it to the house on any given play.
I may be wrong, but I see Gillislee climbing during the offseason much the way Doug Martin did last season. He's solid pass blocker, good hands, good inside/out runner, and he will probably run in the 4.40-4.49 range at the combine.
I appreciate the input.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Williams is pretty raw, and with the "Manning window" in mind I think they will target someone who can help right away. DTs usually don't make a big impact their first season regardless, and especially not someone who needs a lot of polishing like Williams. Also, I'm not certain we invest a pick in the top 3 rounds on a back again when they just invested in Hillman. If they do, I would expect more of a power back to compliment him.
If Elway was drafting just for the "Manning window", he never would have used a 2nd round pick on Osweiller. He's building this team the way all great GM's do. You take the BPA, and if there are 2 or 3 different ones with the same ranking there when you pick, you take the one that fullfills a position of need. If not, you just take the BPA.
Hillman is a nice change of pace back. I don't see him ever being an every down back in the NFL. His pass protection is dreadful. Gillislee can come in and step into that role right away. He's a solid every down back in the NFL with the potential to be a stud starter.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Out of curiosity, who?

FA Cornerbacks 2013

Michael Adams ARI
Rashad Johnson ARI
Greg Toler ARI
Robert McClain ATL (RFA)
Brent Grimes ATL
Chris Owens ATL
Chris Johnson BAL
Cary Williams BAL
Leodis McKelvin BUF
Nate Ness CAR (RFA)
Captain Munnerlyn CAR
Zackary Bowman CHI
Kelvin Hayden CHI
D.J. Moore CHI
Pacman Jones CIN
Terence Newman CIN
Dimitri Patterson CLE
Sheldon Brown CLE
Vince Agnew DAL E
Mike Jenkins DAL
Tony Carter DEN
Tracy Porter DEN
Drayton Florence DET
Chris Houston DET
Jacob Lacey DET
Pat Lee DET
Sam Shields GB (RFA)
Alan Ball HOU
Quintin Demps HOU
Brice McCain HOU
Josh Gordy IND (RFA)
Cassius Vaughn IND (RFA)
Darius Butler IND
Jerraud Powers IND
Derek Cox JAC
Rashean Mathis JAC
William Middleton JAC
Travis Daniels KC
Bryan McCann MIA (RFA)
R.J. Stanford MIA (RFA)
Sean Smith MIA
Marcus Sherels MIN E
A.J. Jefferson MIN (RFA)
Malcolm Williams NE E
Will Allen NE
Kyle Arrington NE
Marquice Cole NE
Derrick Martin NE
Aqib Talib NE
Elbert Mack NO
Michael Coe NYG
Justin Tryon NYG
Brian Witherspoon NYG
Isaiah Trufant NYJ (Ex)
Brandian Ross OAK (Ex)
Phillip Adams OAK (RFA)
Coye Francies OAK (RFA)
Ronald Bartell OAK
Joselio Hanson OAK
Shawntae Spencer OAK
Ronald Bartell OAK
Will Allen PIT
Keenan Lewis PIT
Chris Carr SD
Antoine Cason SD
Quentin Jammer SD
Marcus Trufant SEA
Tramaine Brock SF (RFA)
Dashon Goldson SF
Bradley Fletcher STL
E.J. Biggers TB
Ryan Mouton TEN
Cedric Griffin WAS
Out of that group, give me Grimes. I don't necessarily agree that corner is an immediate need for the Broncos though.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
NickStixx

Quote:
Out of curiosity, who?

FA Cornerbacks 2013

Michael Adams ARI
Rashad Johnson ARI
Greg Toler ARI
Robert McClain ATL (RFA)
Brent Grimes ATL
Chris Owens ATL
Chris Johnson BAL
Cary Williams BAL
Leodis McKelvin BUF
Nate Ness CAR (RFA)
Captain Munnerlyn CAR
Zackary Bowman CHI
Kelvin Hayden CHI
D.J. Moore CHI
Pacman Jones CIN
Terence Newman CIN
Dimitri Patterson CLE
Sheldon Brown CLE
Vince Agnew DAL E
Mike Jenkins DAL
Tony Carter DEN
Tracy Porter DEN
Drayton Florence DET
Chris Houston DET
Jacob Lacey DET
Pat Lee DET
Sam Shields GB (RFA)
Alan Ball HOU
Quintin Demps HOU
Brice McCain HOU
Josh Gordy IND (RFA)
Cassius Vaughn IND (RFA)
Darius Butler IND
Jerraud Powers IND
Derek Cox JAC
Rashean Mathis JAC
William Middleton JAC
Travis Daniels KC
Bryan McCann MIA (RFA)
R.J. Stanford MIA (RFA)
Sean Smith MIA
Marcus Sherels MIN E
A.J. Jefferson MIN (RFA)
Malcolm Williams NE E
Will Allen NE
Kyle Arrington NE
Marquice Cole NE
Derrick Martin NE
Aqib Talib NE
Elbert Mack NO
Michael Coe NYG
Justin Tryon NYG
Brian Witherspoon NYG
Isaiah Trufant NYJ (Ex)
Brandian Ross OAK (Ex)
Phillip Adams OAK (RFA)
Coye Francies OAK (RFA)
Ronald Bartell OAK
Joselio Hanson OAK
Shawntae Spencer OAK
Ronald Bartell OAK
Will Allen PIT
Keenan Lewis PIT
Chris Carr SD
Antoine Cason SD
Quentin Jammer SD
Marcus Trufant SEA
Tramaine Brock SF (RFA)
Dashon Goldson SF
Bradley Fletcher STL
E.J. Biggers TB
Ryan Mouton TEN
Cedric Griffin WAS
Yeah I would take; Brent Grimes, Derek Cox, or DRC in that list.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Out of that group, give me Grimes. I don't necessarily agree that corner is an immediate need for the Broncos though.
1. They aren't going to resign Porter...he was supposed to at least play Nickel
2. Champ is 35 years old, and got torched in the playoffs.
3. At least Chris Harris is playing well, but doesn't have enough speed to keep up with deep threats.
4. Tony Carter isn't good. I wouldn't resign him. Bad effort leads to a lot of breakdowns.
5. Omar Bolden isn't good, and isn't very fast.

Why did the Broncos lose in the playoffs, because the DB's couldn't cover down the field, or because the NT couldn't stop the run? The Broncos need a premier DB.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
3. At least Chris Harris is playing well, but doesn't have enough speed to keep up with deep threats.
4. Tony Carter isn't good. I wouldn't resign him. Bad effort leads to a lot of breakdowns.

Why did the Broncos lose in the playoffs, because the DB's couldn't cover down the field, or because the NT couldn't stop the run? The Broncos need a premier DB.
Champ had a bad game. It was his only one this season. It happens to everyone. Chris Harris is an up and coming star, and he does have enough speed to cover the deep threats. He's a 4.48 guy in shorts, and plenty fast on the field.
Omar Bolden was a rookie. I'll give him at least 2 years before I write him off as not being good. Could we use an upgrade at the nickel corner? Yes, but what team doesn't? We're in better shape at CB than most of the teams in the NFL.
The Broncos lost in the playoffs because they were dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Manning took more hits than Flacco, and had a lot less time to throw throughout the game.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

It would be so much fun to have Robinson here.
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Out of curiosity, who?

FA Cornerbacks 2013

Michael Adams ARI
Rashad Johnson ARI
Greg Toler ARI
Robert McClain ATL (RFA)
Brent Grimes ATL
Chris Owens ATL
Chris Johnson BAL
Cary Williams BAL
Leodis McKelvin BUF
Nate Ness CAR (RFA)
Captain Munnerlyn CAR
Zackary Bowman CHI
Kelvin Hayden CHI
D.J. Moore CHI
Pacman Jones CIN
Terence Newman CIN
Dimitri Patterson CLE
Sheldon Brown CLE
Vince Agnew DAL E
Mike Jenkins DAL
Tony Carter DEN
Tracy Porter DEN
Drayton Florence DET
Chris Houston DET
Jacob Lacey DET
Pat Lee DET
Sam Shields GB (RFA)
Alan Ball HOU
Quintin Demps HOU
Brice McCain HOU
Josh Gordy IND (RFA)
Cassius Vaughn IND (RFA)
Darius Butler IND
Jerraud Powers IND
Derek Cox JAC
Rashean Mathis JAC
William Middleton JAC
Travis Daniels KC
Bryan McCann MIA (RFA)
R.J. Stanford MIA (RFA)
Sean Smith MIA
Marcus Sherels MIN E
A.J. Jefferson MIN (RFA)
Malcolm Williams NE E
Will Allen NE
Kyle Arrington NE
Marquice Cole NE
Derrick Martin NE
Aqib Talib NE
Elbert Mack NO
Michael Coe NYG
Justin Tryon NYG
Brian Witherspoon NYG
Isaiah Trufant NYJ (Ex)
Brandian Ross OAK (Ex)
Phillip Adams OAK (RFA)
Coye Francies OAK (RFA)
Ronald Bartell OAK
Joselio Hanson OAK
Shawntae Spencer OAK
Ronald Bartell OAK
Will Allen PIT
Keenan Lewis PIT
Chris Carr SD
Antoine Cason SD
Quentin Jammer SD
Marcus Trufant SEA
Tramaine Brock SF (RFA)
Dashon Goldson SF
Bradley Fletcher STL
E.J. Biggers TB
Ryan Mouton TEN
Cedric Griffin WAS
Bold. Remember Denver had 4 million in Porter, 1.5 in Florence, and another 1 in Goodman for Dead money. Denver has no problem paying for CBs. Trufant came in for a visit last year. Signed back with the Seahawks for a one year 1.3 million dollar deal and played the full season as the Seahawks nickle corner.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
Bmore Manning

Ziggy nice work. Your prospects address areas of need.

About that CB list.. There are some names on that list I like..
Greg Toler- Arizona
Keenan Lewis- Pittsburgh
D.J. Moore- Chicago
Mike Jenkins- Dallas
Jerraud Powers- Indy
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I would like to see Daryl Smith brought in for MLB, Derek Cox and Marcus Trufant brought in for CBs.

1st round Jesse Williams DT or Sheldon Richardson DT
2nd round Margus Hunt DE or Stedman Bailey WR
3rd round Malliciah Goodman DE, Cornellius Carradine DE or Ryan Swope
4th round Rex Burkhead
5th round Duke Williams SS
7th round Blaize Foltz, OG
If we get Williams I would want Bailey then either Goodman or Carradine. If we got Richardson I would prefer Hunt then Swope.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
NickStixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I would like to see Daryl Smith brought in for MLB, Derek Cox and Marcus Trufant brought in for CBs.

1st round Jesse Williams DT or Sheldon Richardson DT
2nd round Margus Hunt DE or Stedman Bailey WR
3rd round Malliciah Goodman DE, Cornellius Carradine DE or Ryan Swope
4th round Rex Burkhead
5th round Duke Williams SS
7th round Blaize Foltz, OG
If we get Williams I would want Bailey then either Goodman or Carradine. If we got Richardson I would prefer Hunt then Swope.
Ok I just have to say that getting Ryan Swope would be BADASS!! I would LOVE that pick. I haven't even really thought of that. He would be the guy to replace Stokley. Oh man, I might start a new thread just about him now.

Also, do you really think Denver is going to be looking at DE's like that with Jason Hunter coming back next year? I think that position is pretty well taken care of. I want Minter in the 1st round if he is there at 28, then a CB in the 2nd, then SWOPE in the 3rd!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
Ok I just have to say that getting Ryan Swope would be BADASS!! I would LOVE that pick. I haven't even really thought of that. He would be the guy to replace Stokley. Oh man, I might start a new thread just about him now.

Also, do you really think Denver is going to be looking at DE's like that with Jason Hunter coming back next year? I think that position is pretty well taken care of. I want Minter in the 1st round if he is there at 28, then a CB in the 2nd, then SWOPE in the 3rd!
I like Hunter don't get me wrong I just love what Hunt could do to the DL. He is raw, but he is a monster. I think of Justin Smith ability with him. Malliciah Goodman is technically sound with pass rushing ability. Would give the team more flexibility with the DL. Cornellius Carradine would be a first rounder had he not got hurt.
Sheldon Richardson can play DE/DT in our system so that would make him a possibility.
Jesse Williams might be a cheaper option the resigning Vickerson. Who would thought that going into the off season.

If we could land Smith to play MLB for us we are going to be way better off. I think he will get somewhere between Joe Mays and DJ Williams money. Trufant will get about a million so that takes care of what Florence made. That leaves about 4 million to replace Porter. Cox or Mathis from Jags would be my first guess for that.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #20
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Champ had a bad game. It was his only one this season. It happens to everyone. Chris Harris is an up and coming star, and he does have enough speed to cover the deep threats. He's a 4.48 guy in shorts, and plenty fast on the field.
Omar Bolden was a rookie. I'll give him at least 2 years before I write him off as not being good. Could we use an upgrade at the nickel corner? Yes, but what team doesn't? We're in better shape at CB than most of the teams in the NFL.

The Broncos lost in the playoffs because they were dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Manning took more hits than Flacco, and had a lot less time to throw throughout the game.
Everyone wants to go sexy with picks, CB, WR, RB. When it is the LOS play that determines the outcome of 90% of games and almost all of the important ones those being the playoffs.

We got our asses kicked on the LOS in the last two playoff games. Not being able to get the tough couple of yards when we have to having four more points in the first minutes of the game could have turned that game upside down. With the crows turning belly up like they did in the first game with the pick six just before half time.

But we will never know because our big uglies got their asses kicked by the crows. On the other side as you said if you get pressure on flacko he panics and long balls do not get thrown. That is his ony strength long balls the rest of his game well is weak at best. No pressure defense kills the DBs and allows the WRs to get under the long balls.

We lost it at the LOS fix that and the rest of the players will look loads better.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Okay, here are some facts:

1. The only big run of the day was directly after Manning fumbled on the Broncos 37 yard line (Ray Rice for 32 yards). Without that run, the Broncos give up 99 yards on 29 carries to Rice (3.4 ypc), and 5 carries for 14 yards to Pierce (2.8 ypc). The Broncos proved all year that they could stop the run, finishing in the top 5...that didn't change in the playoffs.

2. The Denver Broncos led the NFL in sacks (51) with 8 of them coming from the DT position (Wolfe 6, Vickerson 2).

3. The Broncos had a MAJOR problem guarding TE's all year long. Giving up a crucial 3rd down conversion to Pitta late in the playoff game, moving the Ravens closer to scoring position.

5. The Broncos DB's got beat SEVERAL times over-the-top in the playoffs against Flacco and the Raven speed WR's (Smith and Jones).

5. Champ Bailey is 35 years old.

You can claim that the Broncos Defensive Line got "blown off" the ball, all you want. But it simply isn't true. While upgrading Vickerson would be nice, he actually played well this year, and the stat's prove it. Vickerson finished with 40 tackles and 2 sacks. Any rookie you bring in, would be a back-up NT, and would see the field <50% of the time (if that). I'm always for upgrading the DL with a 1st round draft pick, but this year it's a luxury that the Broncos can't afford.

Now, the Broncos Offensive Line did get "blown off" the ball. Kuper was limping, and shouldn't have been on the field. IMO he's done, he should retire. If you want to talk about drafting an Offensive Lineman in the 1st round, we can do that.

Following your draft scenario, the Broncos go into 2013 with the same exact problems on Offense and Defense that they had this year...which we're exploited by the Ravens...and will be exploited by every good team until they are fixed.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #22
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:

Another huge overeaction to one game.

Bailey/Harris/Carter were one of the best 3 combo of CB's in the NFL last year and aside from Carter's game against Alexander all 3 had superb regular seasons. Champ played at an all-pro level and played 17 games in single coverage with no safety help whatsoever. Sure he had a bad game against the Ravens but in truth who the hell didn't have a bad game

The Broncos have 4 corners currently on the roster who will all be back next year and whilst it will be a need in terms of replacing Bailey long-term, it will be nowhere near the dire need you think it is as compared to MLB, DT or SS.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #23
Bmore Manning

Is SS really as big of a need as FS? I think Mike Adams is a much better fit at FS, he could force Moore to have to earn his playing time opportunities. Or we could draft a FS to replace Moore atop the depth chart and leave Adams at SS and hope Carter comes back healthy and is the long term answer.

We could quiet honestly really use an upgrade at both safety positions...

As far as the DBs are concerned, Tony Carter is no stud. He should really just be a depth corner. And as much as we all like the play of Harris it would be great if he was our NCB. As I said about Champ, he should stay at CB but he should go against possession receivers and opposing safety valves for the other team, whether that's a possession receiver, TE, or slot WR. His smarts and skill set would overwhelm these security blankets.

I would ask him to take a pay cut in being our #2 CB and I would upgrade through FA. I really like Lewis and Toller as young, affordable, and impact full players to be brought in. That also allows way more time and flexibility to address CB via the draft.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Gators RB in the second round is an absolute crime and I would prefer someone other than Williams. Miami corner sucks. Do not like this draft.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #25
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Gators RB in the second round is an absolute crime and I would prefer someone other than Williams. Miami corner sucks. Do not like this draft.
Harsh... When should we be expecting one from you?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: