The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

IIRC, Fox is now in the last year of his contract.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

can he make rivers remember that he is a top 10 QB?? I bet he will. Now let's see if that _efense can make up some ground
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Am I crazy to think that having a stronger division might actually make our team tougher?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #29
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Am I crazy to think that having a stronger division might actually make our team tougher?
No, you are not. A more competitive division will only make everyone in the org. To work harder. There would be no room for complacency.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #30
nyuk nyuk

Whisenhunt must have really swallowed his pride to go be an OC for a new guy with no previous HC experience. Ouch.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #31
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
Whisenhunt must have really swallowed his pride to go be an OC for a new guy with no previous HC experience. Ouch.
I don't think it's that at all.

Whisenhunt said today that he knows McCoy (I don't recall how he said they knew each other) but apparently they're friends.

I think this is more about taking the best opportunity available and also proving himself again by getting San Diego's offense and Rivers going again. A head coaching opportunity will probably present itself again.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #32
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Hopefully he'll bring Russ Grimm with him to Sandyeggo. The Cards offensive line was a thing of beauty.......

ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #33
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Hopefully he'll bring Russ Grimm with him to Sandyeggo. The Cards offensive line was a thing of beauty.......

Our OL is already a thing of beauty.

Hopefully Telesco values offensive lineman a lot higher than AJ Smith did.
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #34
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post

Whisenhunt said today that he knows McCoy (I don't recall how he said they knew each other) but apparently they're friends.

I think this is more about taking the best opportunity available and also proving himself again by getting San Diego's offense and Rivers going again. A head coaching opportunity will probably present itself again.
Far be it for me to agree with a charger fan, but that's how I see it. He probably sees very little career upside in coaching Manning. It's a given that a PM coach will likely be successfull. But if you resurrect Rivers career, now that would really look good on a resume.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #35
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Far be it for me to agree with a charger fan, but that's how I see it. He probably sees very little career upside in coaching Manning. It's a given that a PM coach will likely be successfull. But if you resurrect Rivers career, now that would really look good on a resume.
Rivers just needs a better OL and he will be better just from that. I don't believe he needs to be resurrected.
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #36
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
Rivers just needs a better OL and he will be better just from that. I don't believe he needs to be resurrected.
Yes he does. The OL doesn't make bad decisions and turn the ball over like Rivers has the last couple of years. A good OL will help, but if wants to be relevant again, he needs to step it up.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #37
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

Then you better get some wide receivers worth a damn because he doesn't have a Fitzgerald. He didnt do anything with Fitz and the **** Stains as wide outs so how is he going to do anything with the Royal Crapolas at the Gates of Hell?

you see what I did there? Buy their albums, they are both awesome.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #38
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
Way to go Fox and Elway. Instead of adding him to our staff, we've let a rival strengthen. smh
While I am not a big fan of Gase as the OC. It makes sense to make him the OC. no changes to the offense and the chemistry can continue to build instead of starting from square one with a new offense
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #39
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
The problem with Gase is that he will listen whatever Fox says.
Fox being conservative coach will do the same mistakes that he did in his entire career.
There's a reason why panthers fired him..He was stuck with jake delhomme.
for him..there is no difference between Jake and manning.
He will not allow the QB to throw the ball if we need a first down to win the game.
He is a scared coach.

Coaches like fox, marty and even Norv will lose close playoff games.
His conservative approach will always keep opposition in the game.
Should have hired an experienced coach that can challenge fox decision making.
Take a cold shower man. I think you've burned out a fuse.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #40
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Then you better get some wide receivers worth a damn because he doesn't have a Fitzgerald. He didnt do anything with Fitz and the **** Stains as wide outs so how is he going to do anything with the Royal Crapolas at the Gates of Hell?
Of course Fitz struggled last year. Arizona's o-line was just as bad as the Chargers and look at the sad sacks they had at QB last year.

O-line, cornerback and running back are the biggest needs for the Chargers so if I had to guess, they're going to focus on those before thinking about recievers.

I think McCoy and Wisenhunt can figure out how to use Meachem and Royal better than Norv did. I think just about anyone could do better than Norv in that department. Vincent Brown and Floyd will be back as well. And Spurlock really surprised everyone playing slot towards the end of the year. While that isn't a scary group of receivers, there's enough talent there to do well if they're used properly. Building up the o-line and running game is far more important though.

BTW, to the other poster above, Russ Grimm is a pretty well respected o-line coach and I wouldn't mind him coming here. The Cardinals o-line was just completely void of talent last year, just like the Chargers o-line was.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #41
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
I heard he was cheap...so this makes sense.
What is his going nightly rate?
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #42
Black96WS6
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Of course Fitz struggled last year. Arizona's o-line was just as bad as the Chargers and look at the sad sacks they had at QB last year.

O-line, cornerback and running back are the biggest needs for the Chargers so if I had to guess, they're going to focus on those before thinking about recievers.

I think McCoy and Wisenhunt can figure out how to use Meachem and Royal better than Norv did. I think just about anyone could do better than Norv in that department. Vincent Brown and Floyd will be back as well. And Spurlock really surprised everyone playing slot towards the end of the year. While that isn't a scary group of receivers, there's enough talent there to do well if they're used properly. Building up the o-line and running game is far more important though.

BTW, to the other poster above, Russ Grimm is a pretty well respected o-line coach and I wouldn't mind him coming here. The Cardinals o-line was just completely void of talent last year, just like the Chargers o-line was.
Don't forget about Alexander, guy looked like the find of the year towards the end there...
Black96WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #43
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black96WS6 View Post
Don't forget about Alexander, guy looked like the find of the year towards the end there...
Wow, how could I forget about him? lol

I think all the recent moves by the Chargers have me too exited.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #44
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

I've followed the Cards almost as closely as I have my Broncos. I hear the daily sports radio here in phoenix and they go over this team almost every day. The Cards have used high draft picks for that o-line and have brought in FA's. And there's not 1 player on that line that looks to be improved since he was brought in. If you're saying Grimm can coach a probowl type offensive linemen, then ok, I can go there. But this dude is not going to help improve these players and as a unit they're not all that either. He's very highly over rated. He's been Wiz's b**** almost his entire coaching career. I don't think you will see anybody pick him up this year, which should tell you something about him. He was a great player but, as we found out with many more like Singletary, not a great coach, at all. But if you want him, I will be MORE then happy to see him as your OL coach.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #45
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Yeah you're an OC that needs to find a job. You know how you perform will affect how you are considered for other positions going forward. So far he has interviewed for the team that has Manning and Rivers - two QB's who have shown they can be at least decent. The Philly interview was for a head coaching position, which most coaches will accept crappier circumstances for if it means the pay grade and prestige bump.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #46
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I've followed the Cards almost as closely as I have my Broncos. I hear the daily sports radio here in phoenix and they go over this team almost every day. The Cards have used high draft picks for that o-line and have brought in FA's. And there's not 1 player on that line that looks to be improved since he was brought in. If you're saying Grimm can coach a probowl type offensive linemen, then ok, I can go there. But this dude is not going to help improve these players and as a unit they're not all that either. He's very highly over rated. He's been Wiz's b**** almost his entire coaching career. I don't think you will see anybody pick him up this year, which should tell you something about him. He was a great player but, as we found out with many more like Singletary, not a great coach, at all. But if you want him, I will be MORE then happy to see him as your OL coach.
Who are these high draft picks you speak of?

2012 4 112 Bobby Massie
2012 5 151 Senio Kelemete
2012 7 221 Nate Potter

2011 NONE

2010 NONE

2009 5 167 Herman Johnson
2009 7 254 Trevor Canfield

2008 7 225 Brandon Keith

2007 1 5 Levi Brown

2006 2 41 Deuce Lutui

Look at their o-line roster. It's full of journeymen and nobodies. The only guy even worth mentioning is Levi Brown and he's not all that.

They've ignored their o-line just like the Chargers have and it's no surprise that those two have the worst o-lines in the league. And it's also no surprise their GM and AJ Smith both got run out of town.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #47
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
Rivers needs a WR like Jackson. A WR that answer his prayers. But seriously, I hated how Rivers would usually throw a desperate ugly long pass only to see Jackson snatch it. He missed Jackson, and any SD fan that still thinks they have a similar player in Meechum (or however you write it) is loco.

Yo guys really need talent a the skill position. Floyd is the only descent WR you guys have. Eddie Royal is not the player we or you guys thought to be. And Meechum or whatever is a one trick pony. The long ball. Only difference, he has to be wide open because he lacks the ability to go up and fight for the ball. And as for Gates, I really think he is in his last legs. I think the injuries have taken it's toll.

And lets not even talk about him not being the same since Sproles left. Him checking down to sproles and getting huge gains while people acted like Rivers had just made the best play,... no, that was all Sproles buddy!

Rivers needs way more help than OL. I would not be surprised going for a QB in the mid rounds for grooming. Even taking one high in the draft in the next 2 years.

Last edited by Heyneck; 01-18-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #48
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Yes he does. The OL doesn't make bad decisions and turn the ball over like Rivers has the last couple of years. A good OL will help, but if wants to be relevant again, he needs to step it up.
Rivers had, like, 1 INT in the final six games of the season.

I think the "poor decision making" thing has largely been corrected.

But without a decent O-line, San Diego won't be able to run, and if they can't run, defenses will simply sit on the pass.

Unless Rivers has a pocket to step up into, he'll underthrow the ball, which looks like poor arm strength and lousy decision making. But really, it's more the absense of a pocket, and all the hits, hurries and sacks he's had to endure.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #49
Xenos
Who got Bunny Ears?

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Rivers needs a WR like Jackson. A WR that answer his prayers. But seriously, I hated how Rivers would usually throw a desperate ugly long pass only to see Jackson snatch it. He missed Jackson, and any SD fan that still thinks they have a similar player in Meechum (or however you write it) is loco.

Yo guys really need talent a the skill position. Floyd is the only descent WR you guys have. Eddie Royal is not the player we or you guys thought to be. And Meechum or whatever is a one trick pony. The long ball. Only difference, he has to be wide open because he lacks the ability to go up and fight for the ball. And as for Gates, I really think he is in his last legs. I think the injuries have taken it's toll.

And lets not even talk about him not being the same since Sproles left. Him checking down to sproles and getting huge gains while people acted like Rivers had just made the best play,... no, that was all Sproles buddy!

Rivers needs way more help than OL. I would not be surprised going for a QB in the mid rounds for grooming. Even taking one high in the draft in the next 2 years.
Except that he did fine without Jackson in 2010. Rivers doesn't need a great line or even a good line. He just needs decent line and he can do well. If he can step up in the pocket then guys like Alexander and Floyd become more dangerous.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #50
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Every facet of the Chargers offense was negatively impacted by the dysfunctional offensive line situation last year. Once Meachem got benched, the receiving group actually played pretty well I thought. Danario Alexander had 658 yards and 7 touchdowns in the 9 games he played. Vincent Brown was our best WR in the preseason before he broke his ankle. Malcolm Floyd is a solid #2. It's not a bad group. It's just tough to have a consistent passing game when the quarterback is getting teed off on 3 seconds after the ball is snapped.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote