The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
Mile High 81
Solid Starter

Default Does the game last saturday affect Champs place in broncos history?

I know there is the 100 post rule but i think this is an interesting question?

I know that everybody can have a bad game but i mean really:

You are a Hall of fame CB you have no ring and every shot can be your last. And you play a game like this?
Mile High 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Still in stage 2, huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stages_of_grief

1) Denial — "I feel fine."; "This can't be happening, not to me."
Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the individual. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of possessions and individuals that will be left behind after death. Denial can be conscious or unconscious refusal to accept facts, information, or the reality of the situation. Denial is a defense mechanism and some people can become locked in this stage.

2) Anger — "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; '"Who is to blame?"
Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to care for due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Anger can manifest itself in different ways. People can be angry with themselves, or with others, and especially those who are close to them. It is important to remain detached and nonjudgmental when dealing with a person experiencing anger from grief.

3) Bargaining — "I'll do anything for a few more years."; "I will give my life savings if..."
The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow postpone or delay death. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand I will die, but if I could just do something to buy more time..." People facing less serious trauma can bargain or seek to negotiate a compromise. For example "Can we still be friends?.." when facing a break-up. Bargaining rarely provides a sustainable solution, especially if it's a matter of life or death.

4) Depression — "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die soon so what's the point?"; "I miss my loved one, why go on?"
During the fourth stage, the dying person begins to understand the certainty of death. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the dying person to disconnect from things of love and affection. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up an individual who is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed. Depression could be referred to as the dress rehearsal for the 'aftermath'. It is a kind of acceptance with emotional attachment. It's natural to feel sadness, regret, fear, and uncertainty when going through this stage. Feeling those emotions shows that the person has begun to accept the situation.

5) Acceptance — "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."
In this last stage, individuals begin to come to terms with their mortality, or that of a loved one, or other tragic event. This stage varies according to the person's situation. People dying can enter this stage a long time before the people they leave behind, who must pass through their own individual stages of dealing with the grief.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Just want you to know that I'm here for you, Mile High 81 (albeit in a detached and nonjudgemental way).
Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High 81 View Post
I know there is the 100 post rule
I know there is the 100 post rule

100 post rule

extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It just means we don't have to feel bad for him when he's at that press conference announcing his retirement and his fingers are bare. He had his chance.

That said, 96.4% of Broncos fans and 99.7% of NFL fans will never remember Champ had a bad game if they even knew it. They'll remember the guy that mistimed the ball and was out of position. Then maybe they'll remember kneeling with 30 seconds and two timeouts.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I would answer this question with another question.

Did performances in Super Bowl 22 or 24 affect John Elway's place in Broncos history?
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
I would answer this question with another question.

Did performances in Super Bowl 22 or 24 affect John Elway's place in Broncos history?
Ah, the Socratic method.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Maybe it puts an end to the endless "Champ really wants a championship" stories?

He had a chance and he completely blew it.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

he's still the Broncos best CB since Louis Wright
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I'm ready to put Champ in Manning's catagory.

No brainer 1st ballot HOF players but, avg playoff players. Still glad they are Bronco's
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High 81 View Post
I know there is the 100 post rule but i think this is an interesting question?

I know that everybody can have a bad game but i mean really:

You are a Hall of fame CB you have no ring and every shot can be your last. And you play a game like this?
Yes, especially if the Broncos don't win a SB with him and/or Manning on the team. Absolutely it does. And good question!
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

there is a BIG reason why this guy has never played in a superbowl
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Drunken.Broncoholic

All it shows is he's older. Cannot do everything he used to in the same way/speed. All HOFers get older and decline. And yes he is declining.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Hard to say. Two of the three biggest games of his career - the AFCCG in Mile High, and now this last one at Mile High - he got burnt. The Div game at Mile High in 2006 against NE he played very well, but lost the ball when Ben Watson hammered him about the 5 yd line. Could have been called a touchback and NE ball at the 20. The play was reviewed because the ball went out of the endzone after Champ fumbled.

He got burnt pretty bad in the AFCCG against Pitt, gave up two passing TD's in the redzone, missed that easy pick six in Pitt territory.

The good teams that are feeling bold are gonna go after him if he's one-on-one in a playoff game. They have to challenge him on the road, and if they're successful it gives their entire team a boost.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Seriously?
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I'm ready to put Champ in Manning's catagory.

No brainer 1st ballot HOF players but, avg playoff players. Still glad they are Bronco's
Oh for **** sakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=n74qajrx4b4

enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

The ball went out of the end zone after Champ was hit, hence the review. He was called out of bounds on the field, and the call on the field was upheld. Dude had no idea he was gonna get hammered, poor field awareness. That was one of the worst hammerings I've ever seen a DB get nailed with on a 100 yd return.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"I'm told future Hall of Fame corner Champ Bailey remains despondent -- a word used to describe him by a source -- over getting torched by Baltimore's Torrey Smith. There are some people (including me) that practically worship Bailey and were utterly stunned at how easily he was getting beat. It was as if someone flipped a switch and he was suddenly old.

Some people will claim they saw this coming but anyone who does isn't being truthful. I spoke to Bailey extensively this past summer, as well as teammates, and there was no hint of a drop-off.

So what does Bailey do now? Bailey is a 12-time Pro Bowler and lock for the Hall, but -- at least for the moment -- I'm told he has no immediate plans to retire"
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...ll-wears-crown
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
"I'm told future Hall of Fame corner Champ Bailey remains despondent -- a word used to describe him by a source -- over getting torched by Baltimore's Torrey Smith. There are some people (including me) that practically worship Bailey and were utterly stunned at how easily he was getting beat. It was as if someone flipped a switch and he was suddenly old.

Some people will claim they saw this coming but anyone who does isn't being truthful. I spoke to Bailey extensively this past summer, as well as teammates, and there was no hint of a drop-off.

So what does Bailey do now? Bailey is a 12-time Pro Bowler and lock for the Hall, but -- at least for the moment -- I'm told he has no immediate plans to retire"
I really hope he moves to Safety. Not because I think he's not a top-5 corner in this league (he is), but because he can do MUCH MORE good for this team from that spot.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post

Good. He's one of the only leadership personalities on that D and that D didn't come ready to play. He should take it to heart, reflect on what he could've done differently, and come back next year with a fire that'll spread to all his teammates.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I really hope he moves to Safety. Not because I think he's not a top-5 corner in this league (he is), but because he can do MUCH MORE good for this team from that spot.
I merely want him to play in whichever position allows them to get the best 11 on the field. If he's demanding he be a corner just because he doesn't want to admit he's aging, I hope this game makes him open to whatever is most beneficial and helps him recognize the human nature of everyone. I don't necessarily think he's a liability at corner, however. He just isn't what he once was.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
extralife
Ring of Famer

everything about this thread makes me want to slap you people
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I merely want him to play in whichever position allows them to get the best 11 on the field. If he's demanding he be a corner just because he doesn't want to admit he's aging, I hope this game makes him open to whatever is most beneficial and helps him recognize the human nature of everyone. I don't necessarily think he's a liability at corner, however. He just isn't what he once was.
Dude is an LCB, why they had Tony Carter at LCB, I don't know. Champ can maybe beat himself up a little bit because he didn't jam Torrey Smith in the slot, but Champ isn't a slot CB, he's an LCB. Carter is the slot CB, but the staff had their roles reversed. Maybe Champ is despondent because he said he would shadow Torrey Smith everywhere and convinced the staff he could do so.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #24
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

How much do you wanna bet Champ comes back with a nasty vengeance next season? Carter isn't good enough at least right to step into a #2 role.

That said, I wasn't a huge fan of Champ's reaction after the game (not beating himself up). Maybe he was just keeping himself to himself.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Definitely not top 5. Still very good, but probably not even top 10
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote