The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Mile High Salute

Default New coping mechanism - recent NFL history

A lot of folks are comparing (i.e. hoping) this season will be like 1996, with the implication that next season could turn out like 1997. While that is encouraging, I decided to take a broader look at things. And when I did, I found that there's even more good reason to be optimistic about the future. For example, did you know that every year since the 2006 season, at least one of the Super Bowl participants lost in either the Wild Card or Divisional round the year before? This includes 4 out of the last 6 Super Bowl champions. (Note that this trend could continue further back than 2006, but that's as much as I had time to check.) Consider the following.

2011 season - Pats made it to the Super Bowl despite losing in the Divisional round the year before.

2010 season - Packers won the Super Bowl despite losing in the Wild Card round the year before.

2009 season - Colts made it to the Super Bowl despite losing in the Wild Card round the year before.

2008 season - Steelers won the Super Bowl despite losing in the Wild Card round the year before.

2007 season - Giants won the Super Bowl despite losing in the Wild Card round the year before.

2006 season - Colts won the Super Bowl despite losing in the Divisional round the year before. In addition, the Bears made it to that year's Super Bowl despite also losing in the Divisional Round the year before.

Two of those examples above involved Peyton Manning. In fact, the last time he lost early in the playoffs prior to his injury, he followed it up by making it to the Super Bowl the next season (2008-2009). I think there is a very good chance this loss spurs the Broncos on to something better. They know they blew a golden opportunity, are going to be pissed, and are going to be extra motivated this next season. John Fox said yesterday "hang in there with us, because next year we're going to be bigger and better." I believe him. I expect this Broncos team to go out there next year and go kicking ass and taking names. I BELIEVE!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

In other words, teams that are good make the playoffs consistently, yet lose in years they don't win Superbowls....

ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

It's Super Bowl or bust for sure next season.
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Honestly, next year, I am pretty confident that we'll fall under one of three scenarios: we'll hoist the Lombardi Trophy; we'll get into the playoffs, but fall short of hoisting the Lombardi Trophy; or we won't make the playoffs at all.

I just can't see any way we'll be talking about anything but one of those, thirteen months from now.

In all seriousness, though, thanks for the thread. Anything that moves me away from the edge of the cliff, at this point, is a good thing.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatspirits View Post
It's Super Bowl or bust for sure next season.
I'm sure that you are posting things, but I can't make it past your avatar.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Honestly, next year, I am pretty confident that we'll fall under one of three scenarios: we'll hoist the Lombardi Trophy; we'll get into the playoffs, but fall short of hoisting the Lombardi Trophy; or we won't make the playoffs at all.

I just can't see any way we'll be talking about anything but one of those, thirteen months from now.

In all seriousness, though, thanks for the thread. Anything that moves me away from the edge of the cliff, at this point, is a good thing.
I think you may be right. Most (if not all) playoff teams that don't win the championship typically lose in the playoffs. So if we are a playoff team, we will either win it all, or lose in the playoff.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
I'm sure that you are posting things, but I can't make it past your avatar.
Great! All those thoughtful posts......for nothing!!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Two years in a row that Peyton Manning has failed us in the playoffs. Last year he was non-existent. At least this year he showed up.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Two years in a row that Peyton Manning has failed us in the playoffs. Last year he was non-existent. At least this year he showed up.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Echo?
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote