The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #26
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
There is no penalty for our players physically blocking an illegal practice kick. Better yet, kick the ball away from the holder while the opposing kicker lines up.
Exactly. That's why i brought it up about SOMEBODY, ANYBODY stepping up and getting in the guys way. Take some initiative. I don't blame the Ravens. can't fault them for trying to get away with something like that. The refs... they were drowning in full suck mode. No, that was on the Broncos. Instead of ST coach crying, send someone out there. It's situational football. You're either prepared for it or not. You either have the gritty mindset of "get that **** off my field" or you don't. We need to get meaner.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #27
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I thought the officiating was terrible, but I have a hard time using it as an excuse why we lost this game. When Decker ran to the endzone to celebrate that touchdown, they could have penalized us there, but didn't. That right there tells you a little about how they were going to officiate this game, which is to say "just let the players play." This is what people are always demanding of the officials - especially in the post season. That means be agressive. And frankly, we weren't - and that's the problem, not the officials.

That was our house, and we played not to lose. Not just Fox, but the entire team - outside of guys like Holliday. Were was the pressure on Flacco? 1 sack all day? Meanwhile the Ravens sacked Manning 3 times, forced 2 fumbles, and 2 interceptions. Peyton Manning was fighting for his life back there and still managed 3 TDs - and still people complain that it wasn't enough.

I put this loss on the coaches - Fox, McCoy, Del Rio. And I have to say that the defense played without too much pride back there. They read too many of their own press clippings, and played the game like they thought the Ravens offense was just going to hand them the game.

We need a middle linebacker who can be an emotional team leader and bring the kind of intensity that Al Wilson brought - not to mention give us the size to help with one of our chief weaknesses - the TE. And this is the draft to do it. This is probably the deepest draft class for middle linebackers in a few years.

As far as the coaches go, I don't want any of them fired, though I won't be sad to see McCoy move on. I was never convinced that he's the kind of OC that can out-plan some of the better defenses in this league, and the way they played against the Ravens didn't give me any confidence in him. I remember when Shanahan/Kubiak would break out something special to exploit a match-up. If that happened at all this game, I sure didn't recognize it. Seemed pretty vanilla out there to me - which is very frustrating for a playoff game.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #28
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

TJ it actually makes me feel better to hear you articulate that and I COMPLETELY agree.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #29
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

this gets one who gives a **** from me
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #30
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
There is no penalty for our players physically blocking an illegal practice kick. Better yet, kick the ball away from the holder while the opposing kicker lines up.
This. There was footage during the game of the kick. You see champ holding up his arms to the refs questioning why it was allowed. He should've ran over and just grabbed the ball.

Coaches didnt want to take initiative in this game so why should the players? It was a sad performance top to bottom

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 01-14-2013 at 10:30 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #31
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I thought the officiating was terrible, but I have a hard time using it as an excuse why we lost this game. When Decker ran to the endzone to celebrate that touchdown, they could have penalized us there, but didn't. That right there tells you a little about how they were going to officiate this game, which is to say "just let the players play." This is what people are always demanding of the officials - especially in the post season. That means be agressive. And frankly, we weren't - and that's the problem, not the officials.

That was our house, and we played not to lose. Not just Fox, but the entire team - outside of guys like Holliday. Were was the pressure on Flacco? 1 sack all day? Meanwhile the Ravens sacked Manning 3 times, forced 2 fumbles, and 2 interceptions. Peyton Manning was fighting for his life back there and still managed 3 TDs - and still people complain that it wasn't enough.

I put this loss on the coaches - Fox, McCoy, Del Rio. And I have to say that the defense played without too much pride back there. They read too many of their own press clippings, and played the game like they thought the Ravens offense was just going to hand them the game.

We need a middle linebacker who can be an emotional team leader and bring the kind of intensity that Al Wilson brought - not to mention give us the size to help with one of our chief weaknesses - the TE. And this is the draft to do it. This is probably the deepest draft class for middle linebackers in a few years.

As far as the coaches go, I don't want any of them fired, though I won't be sad to see McCoy move on. I was never convinced that he's the kind of OC that can out-plan some of the better defenses in this league, and the way they played against the Ravens didn't give me any confidence in him. I remember when Shanahan/Kubiak would break out something special to exploit a match-up. If that happened at all this game, I sure didn't recognize it. Seemed pretty vanilla out there to me - which is very frustrating for a playoff game.
I def don't put the loss on the refs, but had they not made some bs calls, the outcome probably is different. The one that really sticks in my craw was the Champ interference at the end. An official like 30 yards away threw that flag and, instead of having the ball on the like 30, we got it on the six. That was a tough one to swallow
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #32
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I def don't put the loss on the refs, but had they not made some bs calls, the outcome probably is different. The one that really sticks in my craw was the Champ interference at the end. An official like 30 yards away threw that flag and, instead of having the ball on the like 30, we got it on the six. That was a tough one to swallow

I hear you. That first touchdown where Torrey Smith "beat" Champ Bailey - he pushed off, and that's how he got separation. There was no "beating" about it. But even still, I could see complaining about the refs if they were calling that stuff on our guys and not on theirs. But that's not what happened. Our guys weren't playing as physically aggressive as their guys were. And that was the difference in the game. That's why they got the touchdowns they got. That's why they got the turnovers. That's why they got the forced fumbles. They created their "breaks" by 'out-physicalling' us.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #33
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I When Decker ran to the endzone to celebrate that touchdown, they could have penalized us there, but didn't.
Incorrect. This has been discussed in multiple places and is not a penalty. Even Pereira supported this call.

For those asking about celebration, it's not a foul to leave the team area after a score.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikePerei...9487674368?p=v

Agree that you can't pin this all on the refs. But any attempt to suggest that "both teams got screwed" or that the outcome wasn't very possibly impacted by the multiple calls that went against the Broncos just doesn't fly.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #34
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
That's why they got the turnovers.
Again, I don't disagree with your overall point. But I don't give the Ravens a whole lot of credit for blatantly interfering with Decker in the 1st quarter and getting a game altering pick-6 out of it. Particularly when juxtaposed with the phantom calls on Carter and Champ.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote