The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
FearLanier

Default AFC West News

For those who care

-The San Diego Chargers have signed former Colts front office man Tom Telesco to be their new GM. Not sure about him but I've heard he has a fantastic reputation around the league as both a talent evaluator and great communication skills.

-Chargers have interviewed Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith, Jay Gruden as of late. It is believed that they are targeting Bruce Arians (let me know if any changes have occurred).

-The Chiefs will announce John Dorsey as their GM today. Dorsey is a very well recommended man from Green Bay who scouted and directed their reports on players for several years.

-Chiefs are reportedly close to signing Dave Toub as their ST's coach. Toub is regarded as arguably the best ST's coach in the league as seen by his work with the Chicago Bears.

-Chiefs also signed Doug Pederson to be OC. Pederson is a former QB coach that some believe could be a HC in the future.

-Among Pederson, Brad Childress has agreed to join the Chiefs as Assistant Coach/offensive consultant and Tony Sporano interviewed (and is said to be signing on) as the OL coach, the same area where he got his start and led him to becoming a HC.

Last edited by FearLanier; 01-14-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I dont like that staff KC is assembling one bit :/
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Even after the USS Foxtanic hit the proverbial iceberg on Saturday. No ammount of off season moves by the three stooges will help them contend for the division.
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Chargers have so far interviewed:

Gus Bradley
Ken Whisenhunt
Lovie Smith
Jay Gruden

Scheduled to interview this week:

Mike McCoy
Bruce Arians
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Any chance the chiefs want the coy dog?
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Chargers have so far interviewed:

Gus Bradley
Ken Whisenhunt
Lovie Smith
Jay Gruden

Scheduled to interview this week:

Mike McCoy
Bruce Arians
Gus Bradley is going to be an amazing HC one day. I have always been a fan. What he's done with the Seahawks defense speaks volumes to his ability. I hope you guys don't get this guy.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Even if the Chuggers and Cheifs new FO and coaching staff does everything right, we have at least two more years of baked-in divison championships on the menu.

ANd if Elway/Russell/Fox do a decent job as we all expect, in this offseason which they should now that there are not so mnay holes to fill and we clearly know what we need to take t hat last step required to become a dominant team again for the duration of Mannings tenure as QB here.

KC has no QB and either has to develop a rookie with slim pickings in this draft, start with a backup or make due with Mike Vick and his old age for an oft injured QB whose style depends on a high level of athleticism and taking hits...

San Diego has even more rebuilding to go through than KC.

Denver should be significantly better, beyond just the stats, the next couple years with just a few more key acquisitions plus some solid additional depth enhancements.

This looks like is may play out along the line of the 1996 through 1998 seasons for Denver ... just what Manning and Elway have been shooting for.

We just got a bit more of a head start they either one expected this first year, but as the game showed Sunday we need just a little more work and a few more slots upgraded to be iron-clad for a 20 game season, if necessary.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
FearLanier

Oh and forgot the Chiefs have agreed to make former NYJ LB's coach Bob Sutton their new DC.

Sutton was the HC at Army for several years and has been well liked by the NYJ for years. He was kept through 3 different coaching staffs (Herm, Mangini and Rex) and is said to employ the 1 gap 3-4 attacking defense.

Thank God. Chiefs defense lacked discipline last year and the 2 gap is the worst defense ever. Glad we'll have a more attack oriented defensive strategy.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
FearLanier

Oh and forgot the Chiefs have agreed to make former NYJ LB's coach Bob Sutton their new DC.

Sutton was the HC at Army for several years and has been well liked by the NYJ for years. He was kept through 3 different coaching staffs (Herm, Mangini and Rex) and is said to employ the 1 gap 3-4 attacking defense.

Thank God. Chiefs defense lacked discipline last year and the 2 gap is the worst defense ever. Glad we'll have a more attack oriented defensive strategy.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I must say I don't like 1 bit what both teams are doing. I think they are headed in the right direction. Not sure about Reid yet (burned out?), but he is putting together a really good staff. Lets see what the chargers do... but them getting rid of Norm and AJ make them better from the get go. Unless the hire a douche that goes in and pulls a McD, they should be fine with the proper coach.

We will keep pounding their arses, but I just wish this Division could get back to it's great years when normally 3 teams where good to fight for the division and wildcard. Time to represent.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I cant imagine that any of the opponets will be able to assemble a team good enough to beat us until after Peyton has retired. Then its a diff story. But thats the highs and lows of the NFL.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Chiefs coaching/FO is looking good, they are one Matt Flynn trade away from being a competent team.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
FearLanier

"You have to draft BPA in the draft. Each draft has strengths at certain positions for you to better your football team and taking those players instead of reaching makes you a better team."

That's what John Dorsey just said. Love this hire and I'm glad he won't be reaching for players like Tyson Jackson, Javier Arenas and Dexter McCluster.
Pioli should have learned his lesson that BPA (ala Eric Berry) is always the way to go.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Bradley is going to be a beast of a HC. the Eagles would be smart to hire him and fix that damn defense.

the Chiefs are putting together one heck of a staff in the FO and coaching wise.
Reid obviously learned his lesson from Philly.

the Chargers and McCoy reportedly being enamored with each other does not sit well with me at all. but if he's gonna leave i want him to do it soon so that we can snag Shurmur before he lands another gig(reportedly the Panthers like him a lot)
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Chiefs coaching/FO is looking good, they are one Matt Flynn trade away from being a competent team.
Who's to say Matt Flynn is any good?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

At least now maybe we can have some competition in the division so we don't look like dog crap once we play the good teams?
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
broncobum6162
Manning Up!

Baaammmmmmmm!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I dont like that staff KC is assembling one bit :/
I agree.....sorta like a whos who among coordinators....
broncobum6162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

It seems weird that the Raiders aren't hiring a new coaching staff this year.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
He's at the very least an upgrade over the QBs they had last year. Reid knows how to coach up QBs as well. I doubt Flynn dominates, but he can get them to respectable, and at respectable, they might beat us at Arrowhead.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
"You have to draft BPA in the draft. Each draft has strengths at certain positions for you to better your football team and taking those players instead of reaching makes you a better team."

That's what John Dorsey just said. Love this hire and I'm glad he won't be reaching for players like Tyson Jackson, Javier Arenas and Dexter McCluster.
Pioli should have learned his lesson that BPA (ala Eric Berry) is always the way to go.
So, you're saying the Matt Cassel experiment will continue?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
For those who care

-The San Diego Chargers have signed former Colts front office man Tom Telesco to be their new GM. Not sure about him but I've heard he has a fantastic reputation around the league as both a talent evaluator and great communication skills.

-Chargers have interviewed Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith, Jay Gruden as of late. It is believed that they are targeting Bruce Arians (let me know if any changes have occurred).

-The Chiefs will announce John Dorsey as their GM today. Dorsey is a very well recommended man from Green Bay who scouted and directed their reports on players for several years.

-Chiefs are reportedly close to signing Dave Toub as their ST's coach. Toub is regarded as arguably the best ST's coach in the league as seen by his work with the Chicago Bears.

-Chiefs also signed Doug Pederson to be OC. Pederson is a former QB coach that some believe could be a HC in the future.

-Among Pederson, Brad Childress has agreed to join the Chiefs as Assistant Coach/offensive consultant and Tony Sporano interviewed (and is said to be signing on) as the OL coach, the same area where he got his start and led him to becoming a HC.
I used to like Toub alot but his stock seems to rise and fall with the out put of Hester. When duh bears had speed returning kicks his unit was amazing but after losing Manning and Knox their KR has been below avg and Hester hasn't returned a kick or punt last year. The bears punter sucks and Gold is just another kicker in the NFL.

I heard Toub was interviewed for the bears job (along with a dozen others), I am surprised he hasn't moved up yet. I liked him back when mCd was hired and I wanted us to get him but he hasn't shown much of anything last year and now it sounds like he will go to a lateral move.

Returners with Speed trump coaching, just look at how great Holliday makes our unit look!

Good luck with Toub.

Pederson is an upgrade at OC, a slug with a pulse is also an upgrade for kFc OC.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Interesting take from Bartlett basically saying the SanDiego job sucks, mainly because you're stuck with a declining Rivers.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...not-a-plum-job
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
kFc has Matt Cassell, Brady Quinn, and some dude named Stanzi on their roster.

It is not about Flynn being good, just that he is likely better than what they have now.

I do wonder if Reid doesn't try to keep Cassell around and see if he can develop him. Cassell was much better than Quinn was, not sure why Romeo wanted Quinn to start other than to make the fans stop bothering him. Cassell had a lot of turnovers some were bad snaps he was getting from a G playing C for the 1st time in his very long career. I think Reid can sort of game plan some of those INT's out with a better system.

I would not be surprised if they didn't go QB with their 1st pick.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Interesting take from Bartlett basically saying the SanDiego job sucks, mainly because you're stuck with a declining Rivers.

Who is Bartlett? I never heard of him.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post

I wonder if Rivers just didn't start zoning Norv out the last couple years. He was a very good QB for the 1st 6 years he started full time, even last years stats are not bad.

He is the 2nd best QB in the division. I hope they find the wrong HC and GM, he can be recovered with good coaching and talent around him.