The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #51
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Is there an explanation from the refs anywhere about why Manning's fumble wasn't the tuck rule? I personally think the tuck rule is dumb, but id like to know why that wasn't enforced.
Yeah, I'm not as irate about that one simply because I think it's a stupid rule, BUT if it's on the books and you're going to call it, I don't see how it didn't apply in that case.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #52
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
The refs cost us the game. Period. Don't give me that "it went both ways" crap. It did not. The Ravens are not in position to win the game without those egregious errors that lead directly to unearned, underserved points. The missed PI call on the pick six alone probably made the difference. I'm sick of people trying to bail out the refs by saying "well, you have to overcome that and we should have won anyway." Bull. The Ravens shouldn't have been in position to win and didn't deserve to win. The refs handed it to them.
Nothing truer has been spoken. It was a plain and simple screw job and every bad call they made Balt capitalized on. So Balt does deserve some credit as those were huge momentum swings.

So, when you factor in all the stuff the players and coaches screwed up and the screw job by the refs, yet we were still so close to winning is really saying something. I told my cousing when it was 28-28 if the Broncs managed to win they were going to win the SB without doubt. Everything went wrong (althought some things went right, Holliday) yet we were still so close. If they could have just got thru what was a very bizarre game there was no stopping them after that.
MplsBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #53
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Not only were the calls bad, but the timing was horrible

1. PI on Carter... A few plays later was a long bomb for a TD.

2. Missed PI on Decker... Directly led to a pick 6.

3. Holding call on Kuper... Next play fumble by Manning.
3b. No tuck rule for Manning (dumb rule, but if you have it I don't know why this doesn't count)... few plays later, big run for Rice that leads to a TD.

Combine that with the 2 TD's to end the half and the game, and thats all that the Ravens got.

Denver has many reasons to have lost the game on their own accord (Bailey, Moore, Peyton's pick, missed FG, No pass rush, conservative 3rd down runs, etc...) but these things probably don't come into play if it isn't for the refs.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #54
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsBronco View Post
I told my cousing when it was 28-28 if the Broncs managed to win they were going to win the SB without doubt.
That's quite a leap. I think the Patriots, and then either the Niners or Falcons, might be factors worth considering...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #55
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Bad calls in favor of the Broncos (if you ask a Ravens fan).

1. Defensive holding call on 3rd down on DT. It might be a nit picky call, but it wasn't out of nowhere.

2. Hands to the face on Mannings fumble. a) his hand was up at the neck, so it was a close call b) there was another hands to the face call on the same play c) Manning didn't even really fumble as his knee was down.

Because of those 2 calls it "went both ways". What else am I missing?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #56
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
That's quite a leap. I think the Patriots, and then either the Niners or Falcons, might be factors worth considering...
Disagree. I truly think we would have recognized we didn't play good and come out firing on all cylinders against NE. Not to mention it is going to be better weather.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #57
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Disagree. I truly think we would have recognized we didn't play good and come out firing on all cylinders against NE. Not to mention it is going to be better weather.
Thank you. Better weather, better officiating, a sense we got away with a close one leading to sharper focus. It would have propelled us over the top.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #58
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post

1. Defensive holding call on 3rd down on DT. It might be a nit picky call, but it wasn't out of nowhere.

2. Hands to the face on Mannings fumble. a) his hand was up at the neck, so it was a close call b) there was another hands to the face call on the same play c) Manning didn't even really fumble as his knee was down.

Very minor plays in comparison. So hardly equals things out. Plus on number 2, didn't they spot the ball from the point of the fumble rather than the original line of scrimmage. That seemed like another error to me especially when he didn't really fumble.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #59
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

All I have to say is when Dan Deirforffus starts saying WOAH that's not right on a call against Denver while playing the Bert and the sesame street gang. You know somethings wrong.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #60
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Very minor plays in comparison. So hardly equals things out. Plus on number 2, didn't they spot the ball from the point of the fumble rather than the original line of scrimmage. That seemed like another error to me especially when he didn't really fumble.
Exactly. But I'm sure if you ask Ravens fans, "it went both ways."
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #61
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Did the Ravens get called for a single holding penalty? Didn't the Broncos get called for 3 or 4 holds on RUNNING plays? Total screw job.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #62
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Did the Ravens get called for a single holding penalty? Didn't the Broncos get called for 3 or 4 holds on RUNNING plays? Total screw job.
No, the Raven O-Line went flag-free all day.

This is the same O-Line who had been playing together for exactly one (1) week prior to the game in Denver.

So while they went flag-free, the Broncos -- best pass rushing team in the league -- was held to one sack, in overtime.

So. Yeah.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #63
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD4HOF View Post
Don't blame the refs but I thought the Kuper holding call was ludicrious and the most egregious of all. Not sure if I've ever seen that one.
I knew at that point, these refs were totally incompetent.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #64
cutman0122
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post

Number 2 would not have led to a fumble as the replay would have overturned it. Manning's knee was clearly down before the ball came out as you mentioned. Even the announcers called it when they showed the replay.

Last edited by cutman0122; 01-14-2013 at 03:42 PM..
cutman0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #65
broncobum6162
Manning Up!

Baaammmmmmmm!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Agree. Agree. Agree. Agree. Agree. Agreeeeeeeeeee......what more can I say......
broncobum6162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #66
Action

I thought the non PI call on Thomas was ridiculous. Williams grabbed him and feel and kicked his legs to trip Thomas.

I mean c'mon son...
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #67
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think two scores came directly off calls/non-calls for Baltimore. The Decker INT was a crappy play by him but he got nailed in the back. HELLO? Penalty? T. Suggs took out Hester later on a 3rd down the same way... no call. Baltimore scored on the 2nd bomb against Champ 2-3 plays later. Also, Kuper got called for a phantom holding call that brought back a 3rd and 1 conversion for us. I think Baltimore went on to score the very next drive.

These are all drives that put us in a much larger hole than this game should have ever been. Yes, we blew it too but the officials played a HUGE role in us losing.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #68
Vine

Quote:
Also, while agreeing that Denver by far got the net raw deal on calls, there were two standouts that went Denver's way. The first was a clear block in the back on one of Holliday's TD returns (I think it was the kick return). The second was the pass interference on Denver's TD drive to take the late lead which probably shouldn't have been called.
I agree with this. Overall, the officiating was just downright horrendous. Quite possibly the worst officiated Broncos game of the season. (Even worse than the first couple of weeks with replacement officials) Too bad it happen to come in the playoffs.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #69
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Is there an explanation from the refs anywhere about why Manning's fumble wasn't the tuck rule? I personally think the tuck rule is dumb, but id like to know why that wasn't enforced.
When the forward motion of Manning's arm was complete, and his hand came to a complete stop around his waist, the ball was still in complete control in Manning's hand for a very split second. At this point, the tuck rule no longer applies, because the forward motion of his arm came to a complete stop. The ball came out a split second after his arm stopped moving.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #70
Boogerboots
Anytime now...

..just make the snow stop!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Larry Canada

Quote:
No way would the league choose Ray Lewis over Peyton Manning, particularly considering the possibility of a Brady/Manning rematch. There's no conspiracy here. This is just a case of bad officiating that went against us far too often.
Well maybe the Refs did the fix for the sake of public safety to avoid the chance of another post game Ginsu limo ride.
Boogerboots is offline   Reply With Quote