The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Vine

Default Worst Play Call of the game

So what was it? The 3rd and 7, with a 1st down to win? The 2nd down before that? The decision to kneel with 31 seconds in the 4th quarter and 2 timeous? The decision to call a stupid handoff with 36 seconds in the 2nd quarter and all 3 timeouts?

All of the above were really bad, but some can try to defend those plays somehow. To me, the worst play call of the game last night is one that many of us forgot. I'll copy and paste the play-by-play that includes the play I am referring to.

Denver Broncos at 12:32 BAL &nbspEN
K.Moreno right tackle to DEN 48 for 5 yards (R.Lewis; E.Reed).
2nd and 5 at DEN 48 (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short middle to B.Stokley. PENALTY on BLT-R.Lewis, Defensive Pass Interference, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 48 - No Play.
1st and 10 at BAL 47 R.Hillman right guard to BLT 40 for 7 yards (C.Brown). PENALTY on DEN-C.Kuper, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at BLT 47 - No Play.
1st and 20 at DEN 43 (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short right to E.Decker.
2nd and 20 at DEN 43 (Shotgun) P.Manning sacked at DEN 39 for -4 yards (T.Suggs). FUMBLES (T.Suggs) [P.Kruger], RECOVERED by BLT-R.Lewis at DEN 39. R.Lewis to DEN 39 for no gain (P.Manning). PENALTY on BLT-C.Williams, Illegal Use of Hands, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 37. Penalty on BLT-T.Suggs, Illegal Use of Hands, declined.
1st and 10 at DEN 42 (Shotgun) R.Hillman up the middle to DEN 47 for 5 yards (D.Ellerbe).
2nd and 5 at DEN 47 (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short middle to E.Decker (D.Ellerbe).
3rd and 5 at DEN 47 (Shotgun) J.Hester up the middle to DEN 49 for 2 yards (R.Lewis; P.McPhee).
4th and 3 at DEN 49 B.Colquitt punts 48 yards to BLT 3, Center-A.Brewer, downed by DEN-M.Willis.
DRIVE TOTALS: BAL 21, DEN 28, 5 plays, 12 yards, 2:47 elapsed

I highlighted the worst play-call of the game. Right after a Flacco fumble, lets convert turnovers into points. Got the ball right near midfield. Big 3rd and 5. A first down here, and Denver keeps the drive going into Balitmore territory. So what do they do? Hand the ball off UP THE MIDDLE to Jacob FREAKING HESTER! UN****ING BELIEVABLE. Way to piss away one of the more crucial possessions of the entire game. Absolutely indefensible.

Last edited by Vine; 01-13-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
So what was it? The 3rd and 7, with a 1st down to win? The 2nd down before that? The decision to kneel with 31 seconds in the 4th quarter and 2 timeous? The decision to call a stupid handoff with 36 seconds in the 2nd quarter and all 3 timeouts?

All of the above were really bad, but some can try to defend those plays somehow. To me, the worst play call of the game last night is one that many of us forgot. I'll copy and paste the play-by-play that includes the play I am referring to.

Denver Broncos at 12:32 BAL DEN
K.Moreno right tackle to DEN 48 for 5 yards (R.Lewis; E.Reed).
2nd and 5 at DEN 48 (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short middle to B.Stokley. PENALTY on BLT-R.Lewis, Defensive Pass Interference, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 48 - No Play.
1st and 10 at BAL 47 R.Hillman right guard to BLT 40 for 7 yards (C.Brown). PENALTY on DEN-C.Kuper, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at BLT 47 - No Play.
1st and 20 at DEN 43 (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short right to E.Decker.
2nd and 20 at DEN 43 (Shotgun) P.Manning sacked at DEN 39 for -4 yards (T.Suggs). FUMBLES (T.Suggs) [P.Kruger], RECOVERED by BLT-R.Lewis at DEN 39. R.Lewis to DEN 39 for no gain (P.Manning). PENALTY on BLT-C.Williams, Illegal Use of Hands, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 37. Penalty on BLT-T.Suggs, Illegal Use of Hands, declined.
1st and 10 at DEN 42 (Shotgun) R.Hillman up the middle to DEN 47 for 5 yards (D.Ellerbe).
2nd and 5 at DEN 47 (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete short middle to E.Decker (D.Ellerbe).
3rd and 5 at DEN 47 (Shotgun) J.Hester up the middle to DEN 49 for 2 yards (R.Lewis; P.McPhee).
4th and 3 at DEN 49 B.Colquitt punts 48 yards to BLT 3, Center-A.Brewer, downed by DEN-M.Willis.
DRIVE TOTALS: BAL 21, DEN 28, 5 plays, 12 yards, 2:47 elapsed

I highlighted the worst play-call of the game. Right after a Flacco fumble, lets convert turnovers into points. Got the ball right near midfield. Big 3rd and 5. A first down here, and Denver keeps the drive going into Balitmore territory. So what do they do? Hand the ball off UP THE MIDDLE to Devon FREAKING HESTER! UN****ING BELIEVABLE. Way to piss away one of the more crucial possessions of the entire game. Absolutely indefensible.
Maybe if it was DEVIN freaking Hester, it would have worked out.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Go away kid.

Last edited by theAPAOps5; 01-13-2013 at 09:47 AM..
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
lolcopter

Threads stuck, stop making them. You're terrible at this.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Drunken.Broncoholic

Morenos injury prone is the reason Hester was even on the field.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Morenos injury prone is the reason Hester was even on the field.
Maybe Hester should be on the field on that play... to BLOCK on a Manning dropback pass.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Threads stuck, stop making them. You're terrible at this.
I will continue making my "sucky" threads, and you will continue to make yourself look like an idiot, because you fail to show that you have any ability to engage in meaningful conversation.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

This is the reason coaches like Marty and Fox never won SB..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
lolcopter

Quote:
I will continue making my "sucky" threads, and you will continue to make yourself look like an idiot, because you fail to show that you have any ability to engage in meaningful conversation.
As per your thread creations, you're obviously the idiot here. No meaningful conversation to be had in self deprecating whiny b****made OPsmade by some dumbass who doesn't even know players on our team.

Stop making threads, you're a ****ing whiny joke.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
This is the reason coaches like Marty and Fox never won SB..
Don't forget Dan Reeves.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
As per your thread creations, you're obviously the idiot here. No meaningful conversation to be had in self deprecating whiny b****made OPsmade by some dumbass who doesn't even know players on our team.

Stop making threads, you're a ****ing whiny joke.
You honestly think I am going to take your advice and quit making threads? I'll tell you what. Talk to a mod, and get me banned, then I'll quit. As long as I am not banned, I'll continue making threads.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
lolcopter

Quote:
You honestly think I am going to take your advice and quit making threads? I'll tell you what. Talk to a mod, and get me banned, then I'll quit. As long as I am not banned, I'll continue making threads.
Your threads are WOAT and you should be embarrassed
Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

That was awful. One can only assume that Manning saw something and audibled into it, but Baltimore reacted well and/or Denver didn't execute. That and the FG attempt might have been the worst two calls.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
That was awful. One can only assume that Manning saw something and audibled into it, but Baltimore reacted well and/or Denver didn't execute. That and the FG attempt might have been the worst two calls.
Thanks for a coherent honest reply. I have to disagree about the FG though. Yes it was 52 yards. But you know what? That was only 3 yards longer than the game winner. Yes it was cold. But if Prater doesn't slip on his planting foot, I don't think he mis-hits the ball so terribly. I don't have a problem attempting that FG.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Fox plays scared..This is what i got watching games.
He will play the same way if we have manning/Tebow/Orton/Brady.
He believes in running the ball..
He needs to understand who the QB is and call plays based on that.
I don't think he will change his strategy now..
At midfield..you keep running the ball

We got this division as coaches in our division are worse than him.
If other teams get good coaches..we will be in trouble.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
jbones733
Just Drafted

GREAT THREAD

HEster run up the middle has to be WORST CALL OF GAME
jbones733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
jbones733
Just Drafted

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Fox plays scared..This is what i got watching games.
He will play the same way if we have manning/Tebow/Orton/Brady.
He believes in running the ball..
He needs to understand who the QB is and call plays based on that.
I don't think he will change his strategy now..
At midfield..you keep running the ball

We got this division as coaches in our division are worse than him.
If other teams get good coaches..we will be in trouble.
HEs ultra conservative, yep, always has been was hoping they would overcome it
jbones733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
Vine

This thread needs a bump, because I am still in shock over this call.

It has come out that it was 100% Fox behind the call to run on 3rd and 7. But it was Manning who audibled into a Hester run on 3rd and 5 early in the 3rd quarter. SMH
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
CEH
Ring of Famer

Here's mine

OT 10:22 1 10 DEN 16 Peyton Manning pass incomplete short right intended for Ronnie Hillman 35 35 -0.14 -0.66
OT 10:19 2 10 DEN 16 Ronnie Hillman left end for 5 yards (tackle by Corey Graham) 35 35 -0.66 -0.7
OT 9:41 3 5 DEN 21 Peyton Manning pass complete short right to Brandon Stokley for 9 yards (tackle by Corey Graham) 35 35 -0.7 0.94
OT 9:01 1 10 DEN 30 Ronnie Hillman up the middle for 8 yards (tackle by Dannell Ellerbe) 35 35 0.94 1.47
OT 8:19 2 2 DEN 38 Ronnie Hillman up the middle for 1 yard (tackle by Terrell Suggs) 35 35 1.47 0.89
OT 7:48 3 1 DEN 39 Jacob Hester right guard for no gain (tackle by Terrell Suggs) 35 35 0.89 -0.78
OT 6:58 4 1 DEN 39 Britton Colquitt punts 55 yards, returned by Ed Reed for no gain

2nd and 2 at the 38 and we end up punting. We need to fix this next year. Incredible never going to win a SUper Bowl with this play calling
Our OLine needs to decide if they want to man up next year. I think we need to look at a top guard. Kuper was playing injured and did not do anything to help the team out.

Last edited by CEH; 01-14-2013 at 07:38 PM..
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I had no problem with the play calls, I had problems with the execution. Namely in the secondary.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wouldn't so much call it a play call since manning checked into it. If I remember right we were in shotgun and manning checked out of that play and went under center. I knew immediately he checked into a run but I was wondering why on 3rd down with Hester on the field. Maybe he thought Moreno was back there?

Anyways - our offense is so predictable sometimes. Manning under center is a run 80% o the time. Shotgun is pass 80% of the time.

My question is why didn't we throw any wrinkles into that game? Like that nifty screen to Moreno that we ran against KC or getting Holliday on the field since he was having a big day. Or letting DT go out and make a play like he did in the playoffs last year. The best player on the field in our 2011 playoff win gets 4 balls throw his way in our 2012 playoff loss. Makes sense right?
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #22
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
I wouldn't so much call it a play call since manning checked into it. If I remember right we were in shotgun and manning checked out of that play and went under center. I knew immediately he checked into a run but I was wondering why on 3rd down with Hester on the field. Maybe he thought Moreno was back there?

Anyways - our offense is so predictable sometimes. Manning under center is a run 80% o the time. Shotgun is pass 80% of the time.

My question is why didn't we throw any wrinkles into that game? Like that nifty screen to Moreno that we ran against KC or getting Holliday on the field since he was having a big day. Or letting DT go out and make a play like he did in the playoffs last year. The best player on the field in our 2011 playoff win gets 4 balls throw his way in our 2012 playoff loss. Makes sense right?
Maybe that screen to KM was in the GP but was scratched when he went down? He sure was being featured in the pass game.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote