The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default We Should've Seen This Coming

We all got caught up in the media hype. I don't think this is "OMG Peyton Manning sucks in the playoffs!" at all... yes, he certainly choked last night (among others), but when push comes to shove, the Denver Broncos weren't nearly as good as we though after months of buying into the Peyton Manning inspired media hype.

Broncos 21 Falcons 27

Texans 31 Broncos 25

Broncos 21 Patriots 31

Broncos 31 Bengals 23

Broncos 34 Ravens 17

Broncos 35 Ravens 38

^ those are the ONLY teams we played with winning records... 2-4 against "good" teams, and Baltimore was extremely beat up by injuries at the time of the first match-up.

For several of those other games (Atl, Houston and NE), the game wasn't NEARLY as close as the final score indicates.

Bottom line: The best team we beat was the Cincinnati ****ing Bengals.

Time to address serious deficiencies in the roster and hope our aging "studs" can squeeze another season of competitive play out of their sagging bodies.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Yup. Pretty much what I've been saying in a few threads, although I forgot about the Bengals win. We were very good. Just not 13-3, #1 seed good. Still, we should have won this game. Major disaster of a choke job.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

S
RB
Interior OL
MLB
DL

In that order.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
B-Large

I figured we would win against the Ravens, but would get destroyed against the Pats....

Maybe a powder puff Division and weak schedules are not so great after all
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
We all got caught up in the media hype. I don't think this is "OMG Peyton Manning sucks in the playoffs!" at all... yes, he certainly choked last night (among others), but when push comes to shove, the Denver Broncos weren't nearly as good as we though after months of buying into the Peyton Manning inspired media hype.

Broncos 21 Falcons 27

Texans 31 Broncos 25

Broncos 21 Patriots 31

Broncos 31 Bengals 23

Broncos 34 Ravens 17

Broncos 35 Ravens 38

^ those are the ONLY teams we played with winning records... 2-4 against "good" teams, and Baltimore was extremely beat up by injuries at the time of the first match-up.

For several of those other games (Atl, Houston and NE), the game wasn't NEARLY as close as the final score indicates.

Bottom line: The best team we beat was the Cincinnati ****ing Bengals.

Time to address serious deficiencies in the roster and hope our aging "studs" can squeeze another season of competitive play out of their sagging bodies.
I agree with this.

Thing is though, if you had posted this a week ago, you would've gotten a ton of **** for it. You wouldn't be a real fan if you brought this up.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
S
RB
Interior OL
MLB
DL

In that order.
Haha, CLEARLY we have no issues at CB...
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
I agree with this.

Thing is though, if you had posted this a week ago, you would've gotten a ton of **** for it. You wouldn't be a real fan if you brought this up.
I talked about it on the podcast about a month ago and got **** for it. Then I bought into it myself.

C'est la vie.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Great teams step on the other team's throats and finish them off.

Even with the dubious officiating, the Broncos had MANY chances to put the game away but just kept finding ways to let the Ratbirds hang around.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

We should have won the game.We are clearly the better team.
Fox,Mccoy, Defense, Manning in playoff's was the reason we lost the game.
I thought we won the game when we got the ball.
Fox is really conservative..He reminds me of Marty.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I didn't think the Ravens could match us score for score. But they did. Just couldn't put them away despite two TD returns by Holliday. Balt played better D than we did. There was one play where Rice got outside and all the Bronco D guys were caught crashing the middle, and there's Rice along the sideline with 4 Bronco players five yards away from him.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
I talked about it on the podcast about a month ago and got **** for it. Then I bought into it myself.

C'est la vie.
Really, that's how it was for alot of people, myself included. I knew we hadn't really beaten anyone elite, but I kinda figured it was okay, that the team was finetuning itself for a big run. You can only play what the schedule brings, right?

I said it another thread that this loss is worse than '96 because that team didn't have nearly the questions going into the offseason that this one does. We had a chance to steal one this year and blew it.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...Before the season, when I suggested that the Broncos would fail to live up to expectations this season, the deciding factor between the numbers (which predicted regression) and the impact of Peyton Manning (which suggested number-defying improvement) was the schedule the Broncos were likely to face. Denver's out-of-division schedule included the Patriots and Texans, as well as the AFC North and the NFC South, which looked to be two of the best divisions in football. More disconcertingly, the bulk of those tough matchups was focused during the first half of the season.

As it turned out, Denver's schedule wasn't very difficult at all.1 It's true that the truly difficult matchups for the Broncos took place during the first half, with Denver starting 2-3 via losses against teams that each won 12 or more games, including losses to both the Patriots and Texans. The AFC North and the NFC South? They didn't turn out to be so tough. Pittsburgh, Carolina, and New Orleans ended up serving as three of the league's most disappointing teams, Cleveland was about as bad as expected, and Baltimore and Tampa Bay were little match for the Denver onslaught. The AFC West was also worse than most people's wildest expectations.

The result was a schedule that was actually well below average. Projected to have the league's most difficult schedule before the season by Football Outsiders, the Broncos instead had the NFL's second-easiest schedule in 2012. And as you might expect, with those 12-win teams out of the way after the first few weeks, the schedule really got easy in the second half.

How easy? Well, consider this: The eight matchups Denver played in the second half were against teams who went a combined 44-84 this year. That's like the Broncos getting to play a bunch of 5-11 and 6-10 teams for an entire half-season. Since 1990, that's tied with another team for the easiest second-half slate enjoyed by a playoff participant across the entire era. Even if we adjust for the Broncos going 8-0 and take those losses off of those teams' records, Denver's strength of schedule in the second half was tied for the second-lowest in 23 years.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-playoff-games

^An article I posted a few days ago, which most probably didn't read...
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
Maybe a powder puff Division and weak schedules are not so great after all
It's worked out pretty well for the Pats for the last 10+ years.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
CEH
Ring of Famer

This team was good enough this year to make it to the Super Bowl

I firmly believe this but you have to have 53 players moving in the right direction
When someone wants to be the hero and gives up a 70 yard TD with 40 seconds left I'm not sure any type of player upgrade can solve that problem unless you assume the only way to win in the playoffs is to blow teams out and then you need more players but that is not really reality

I'd say it was more about Denver really didn't have any close games this year to prepare the team mentally for what was about to happen in the playoffs then to say the team was not Super Bowl worthy
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
You could talk me into CB over DL, but be realistic. The most glaring deficiency was safety play.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

The game and potential championship were there for the taking.

They were just too stupid to take them!

Two blown coverages/assignments by the safeties allowed 2 LONG TD's, and there was almost a third if not for an overthrow.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-playoff-games

^An article I posted a few days ago, which most probably didn't read...
Still waiting for the articles that says Denver is vunerable to the 70 yard hail mary passes at the end of the game
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
fwf

We're not as well coached as we thought we were. I'll give you that.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
You could talk me into CB over DL, but be realistic. The most glaring deficiency was safety play.
On one play. If that one stupid, stupid play doesn't happen, nobody's saying that safety is our #1 weakness.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I dunno, obviously we have weaknesses, every team does, but we played a dog**** game yesterday and still should have won it. A few random events didn't go our way and that was that. I think this is a contending team and there's no real fatal flaw. Had we gotten blown out that would be one thing, but a game in frigid temps that we shoulda won and lost at the end to what was essentially a Hail Mary. That's football. It we had essentially the same exact team next year I'd feel confident that we can contend. I'm looking forward to seeing who we will add and subtract, but we are a good team. And as long as 18 is taking snaps, I feel confident (despite what many on this board are saying now)
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I'd wholeheartedly agree with this if we hadn't just played our worst game of the season on the biggest stage. There were just too many mistakes/mental errors/uncharacteristic performances for anyone to "see this coming", because the true fact is our last 11 opponents regardless of who they were, never even came close to us on the scoreboard.

Now I'm not saying we're anywhere near a perfect team but I'm certainly not buying into this pathetic attempt to claim that we we're not worth that 13-3 record and the 1 seed in the AFC.

Sure the Falcons, Patriots and Texans beat us early in the season when Manning was just getting adjusted to his new team but that was as much a learning curve as anything else.

Fox, McCoy, Del Rio, Champ, Manning, Dumervil, Kuper. Moore etc etc all dropped the ball here and they can all coach/play a lot better than they did yesterday and they've proven it.

It certainly wasn't the first time a high seed wasn't prepared coming off a bye and it wont be the last and regardless of how poorly each unit bar Holliday played they still should've won the game bar that outrageous/never to happen ever again play from Moore.
eddie mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #22
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

A couple of things:

A) Ravens are pretty good, far from a s-itty team..

B) Be honest, did you really think we would finish 13-3? Give it a month or so, relax. I actually think we'll even be better next year, possibly with a worse record. 12-4, 11-5. And make noise in the play offs, on the road.

c) Toughest part of this loss? You wake up the following morning, and you have to listen to a nation questioning the size of your team's b-lls...
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #23
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
They were outstanding all season and in the previous matchup held Smith/Boldin to about 40 yards combined.
eddie mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
...are you kidding me?

Champ was beaten like a drum all day for 2 easy long-distance TD strikes, numerous first downs, and on the ONE TD Moore gave up (albeit easy), Carter was beaten like a drum and jogging behind underneath.

I know it's fun to blame it on Moore because that play was dumb as ****, but our underneath coverage was easily the main contributor to the loss, with monsieur Manning's play a close second and the refs in third.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
This team was good enough this year to make it to the Super Bowl

I firmly believe this but you have to have 53 players moving in the right direction
When someone wants to be the hero and gives up a 70 yard TD with 40 seconds left I'm not sure any type of player upgrade can solve that problem unless you assume the only way to win in the playoffs is to blow teams out and then you need more players but that is not really reality

I'd say it was more about Denver really didn't have any close games this year to prepare the team mentally for what was about to happen in the playoffs then to say the team was not Super Bowl worthy
Just stop. A LOT more went into losing that game than that play.