The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #26
TheChamp247
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
The Ravens played Cover 2 high safeties.. Why do so many of you experts keep saying Peyton couldn't throw more than 15 yards? Well your right cause they forced everything to happen in front of them! And none of the receivers could get seperation.
Thomas couldn't get separation, which corrupted our other recievers (Decker and Tamme) as well as our run game. They found out DT was our main offense and stopped it. I don't think they even predicted that it would stall our offense that bad
TheChamp247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #27
anon
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 290
Default

I think we played rattled, by some of the bad calls and the breakdowns on D. Once the game got tight and stayed tight, the whole team played scared. It had been a while since we played a close game that mattered.




Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp247 View Post
Problem was we had that killer instinct...till 3rd down. Then quit and just assumed that Flacco would choke and never realized he was actually throwing to his receivers, not our DB's. Defense lost this game. Manning just made it worse. If we don't draft a DB with our first pick were doomed again. We had over performers in Harris, Lenarod, Carter, and Moore and they got exposed. Thank god by the ravens and not the Pats. I love Bailey, but he needs help for gods sake. Im not worried about Manning for 3 more years, better than we've had in the past decade. Pass rush is only good with decent coverage. Oh, and the refs had to have been threatened by Ray Ray and his murdering skills. I was upset but not infuriated till the Bailey PI. at was the moat BS call I've seen all season. More than the GB SEA game ender by the replacement refs. We lost, but at least wr have a promising front office. I think its 96 all over again. Including 97 and 98. We'll bounce back. I hurting bad now tho, but thank you Amendment 64
anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #28
anon
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 290
Default

That's definitely reason to worry if the formula for stopping our vaunted offense is just to bottle up DT and watch Manning pad his stats with 3-5 yard passes.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp247 View Post
Thomas couldn't get separation, which corrupted our other recievers (Decker and Tamme) as well as our run game. They found out DT was our main offense and stopped it. I don't think they even predicted that it would stall our offense that bad
anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #29
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp247 View Post
Thomas couldn't get separation, which corrupted our other recievers (Decker and Tamme) as well as our run game. They found out DT was our main offense and stopped it. I don't think they even predicted that it would stall our offense that bad
Their plan was to force us to work down the field, because if they gave up quick scores our D in theory would pin their ears back and hunt..

But yes your correct, except the lack of a run game didn't help the passing game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #30
anon
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 290
Default

I suspect Moreno was a big part of the game plan and when he got hurt, some of our options were limited.
anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #31
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,324

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

It was a bad day in horrible horrible weather. The Ravens didnt find some fatal flaw with the Broncos. We played **** and, frankly, they are lucky to get out of there with a win.

This game comes down to two plays that happened at the end of the halves. The Broncos had a great opportunity to go up 14 and get the ball in the second half and dropped a pass. And then, of course, the Rahim Moore. Which, im sorry, i think is actually the worst play in Broncos history. I honestly cant think of one singular play that was worse.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #32
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 752
Default

Broncos played not to lose throughout the entire game.
Elways needs to show Fox a replay of the Pittsburgh game what what you do on 3rd down when you have a HOF QB and need a first down to ice the game. Worse yet, 2 TO's with one last drive attempt for a FG.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #33
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry
 
BowlenBall's Avatar
 
2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 5,233

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
It was a bad day in horrible horrible weather. The Ravens didnt find some fatal flaw with the Broncos. We played **** and, frankly, they are lucky to get out of there with a win.

This game comes down to two plays that happened at the end of the halves. The Broncos had a great opportunity to go up 14 and get the ball in the second half and dropped a pass. And then, of course, the Rahim Moore. Which, im sorry, i think is actually the worst play in Broncos history. I honestly cant think of one singular play that was worse.
Off the top of my head, the only other one I can think of is that playoff game against the Colts in either 2004 or 2005 where nobody touched the receiver after a catch (including Al Wilson, I believe) and he got up and ran for a touchdown while they watched.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #34
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,709

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Paid a ton made 3 turn overs.

Knowshon left the game (never thought I would say that).

1 TO caused by our defense

Little to no pressure on the opposing QB

Playing to play defense on 3rd and 7

Champ getting lite like an Xmas tree
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #35
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth
 
sisterhellfyre's Avatar
 
fighting the clowns under my bed.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
I suspect Moreno was a big part of the game plan and when he got hurt, some of our options were limited.
I think you're dead-on, anon. This stat jumped out at me from Burger Bill's column on ESPN:

* In the first half, Manning was not pressured at all on 22 pass dropbacks.

* In the second half, Manning was pressured on 10 of 24, including all 3 times he was sacked.

The difference? Knowshon Moreno's last play was early in the 3rd quarter, on a 5-yard run (12:32). According to the box score Moreno didn't have a good day running the ball (10 for 32 yards), but it looks to me like he earned his keep in pass protection. After Moreno left, Hillman, Hester & Ball just weren't up to the task as Manning's bodyguards. The Ravens sacked Manning for the first time just three plays after Knowshon left the game, and it was all downhill from there.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #36
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,324

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Paid a ton made 3 turn overs.

Knowshon left the game (never thought I would say that).

1 TO caused by our defense

Little to no pressure on the opposing QB

Playing to play defense on 3rd and 7

Champ getting lite like an Xmas tree
Oh now he's Paid a ton again.

Maybe he'll retire and we can be mediocre again.

OOH, how i hope this happens!
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #37
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
I think you just about covered it, bpc... although if I had to rank them in terms of goat-ish-ness it would go something like this:

1) Raheem Moore: In one single play, he ruined our season, Peyton Manning's MVP candidacy, Elway's Executive-of-the-year candidacy, and possibly McCoy and Del Rio's head coaching opportunities. (and he sucked in general for most of the game, to boot).

2) John Fox, Mike McCoy, Jack Del Rio: horrible, horrible game planning and play calling. The Ravens had 8 fewer days to prepare than us, and STILL had a better game plan both offensively and defensively. Questionable in-game decisions include: trying a 52-yarder in horrible conditions at the end of the half rather than go for it on 4th down; taking a knee with 31 seconds and 2 timeouts remaining; running multiple, multiple times when the defense was expecting it (and often with Jacob Hester); and running on 3rd and 7 then punting instead of trying to finish the game with a pass at the end of the 4th.

3) Peyton Manning -- his reputation for choking is deserved. Three turnovers in all, and what was essentially the game-loser in overtime. We can now officially stop including him in the list of all-time best quarterbacks, as it's an insult to Unitas, Montana and Elway to do so.

4) Dumervil and (to a lesser extent) Von Miller: only one pressure and very few QB pressures on the day -- this probably contributed to our loss as much as anything today, as Flacco had plenty of time to wind up and hit loooooooooooong passes downfield.

5) The refs: an absolutely terrible officiating job, worse than most of the replacement refs from the beginning of the season, IMO. While they made bad calls both ways, there were two atrocious 3rd-down calls late in the game (the clearly incomplete pass, and a bizarre phantom PI call against Champ three plays later) that were... well, frankly suspicious.

6) The offensive line: gave up three sacks and multiple pressures throughout the game. Given how much fresher and healthier they were than the Ravens, and that they're acclimated to the altitude, this is a problem that should probably be addressed in the offseason -- Franklin might be better suited to guard, and we might need to go fishing for a replacement right tackle.

7) Champ -- possibly the worst game I ever saw him play. However, some of the blame lies with the safeties for being out of position on some of the plays where he got beat, and additional blame goes to the coaching staff for leaving him on an island at times without any support.

All in all, it's a complete and systemic failure by the Broncos -- it's very fair to compare this to the great bed-****ting of 1996.
Manning should have only had the one turnover and who knows what happens if the refs didn't call the worst playoff game ever! The pick 6 was clearly PI that wasn't called. Then the refs mysteriously forget about the tuck rule. The refs played a huge roll in the out come of this game!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #38
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,324

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Off the top of my head, the only other one I can think of is that playoff game against the Colts in either 2004 or 2005 where nobody touched the receiver after a catch (including Al Wilson, I believe) and he got up and ran for a touchdown while they watched.
But we were blown out of those games.

We can pick and choose dumb plays, but the timing of this one was pretty ... i dont even know the word. The opposite of good.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #39
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,664

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Miller and Dumervil were nonfactors in the game, but I'm used to that from Dumervil.

Champ looked bad out there and Moore should be out of the NFL making such a pathetic, stupid play on a ball late in the game. The Broncos simply could not cover long passes and with the time needed for Flacco to thrown such passes, Miller and Dumervil were held in check and did little in the game.

I was afraid having a week off would hurt the Broncos and with all the mistakes they made, I think it showed.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #40
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,709

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Oh now he's Paid a ton again.

Maybe he'll retire and we can be mediocre again.

OOH, how i hope this happens!
Maybe we (Bowlen) can pay him $100 million for play off appearances and no win play off wins.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #41
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,396

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

(In order of blame)

1.) Coaching. Plain and simple, coaching. How many bull **** conservative run the ball on 2nd and 1, run the ball on 3rd and 1 calls did we get, even before the 3rd and 7 call. And we did this with a scat back (Hillman) and a scrub back Hester. I understand not being able to get the ball deep down the field, but at times we were killing them on shallow crossing routes, and we just completely abandoned that. Didn't force Ray Lewis to cover a RB in space much. JDR doesn't escape blame either. Flacco has a terrible habit of pulling deep out of the pocket when exposed to pressure up the middle? A gap pressure? Nope, he could make a ****ing sandwich most of the time. The field goal attempt was a strangely un Fox like call and yet it still sucked.

2.) Rahim Moore. We win the game if he makes that stop in any fashion, period. Even if he gives up the big play if he stays in front of the defender he makes the tackle at the 18, they still have to run all the way down the field with no timeouts and set and spike the ball. Instead he takes the worst angle I've ever seen a defensive player take. Trade him for a 6th rounder, cheeseburger, whatever, he's done here.

3.) Officiating. Not going to go over the litany of terrible calls again, but I would also add the time they took to make a call. You threw the god damn flag, make a call. These all-star officiating crews need to go bye bye. Also a ton of late flags, and inconsistent ticky tack ****. Probably the most poorly officiated playoff game since the Seahawks got ****ed in the SB.

4.) Champ- This was your last best chance buddy and you shat the bed.

5.) Doom/Von- Von didn't play poorly, but this should have been the game where he asserted himself as the young dominant Lion in the AFC. Instead he was "meh." Seriously doubt JJ. Watt is going to have a meh game tomorrow.

6.) Peyton. He had some bad audibles into runs. He didn't drive the ball effectively. His placement was off and he ultimately provided the dagger in OT.

7.) Decker and DT. Holding or not, Decker should have snagged the ball on that pick six. DT sans the touchdown was a ghost.

8.) Interior offensive line. Mount Cody and Ngata largely blew **** up today. Tough game to be a lineman because of the officating, but still.

9.) Prater. Perfect snap, perfect hold, at least make contact with the ball.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #42
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,664

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
(In order of blame)

1.) Coaching. Plain and simple, coaching. How many bull **** conservative run the ball on 2nd and 1, run the ball on 3rd and 1 calls did we get, even before the 3rd and 7 call. And we did this with a scat back (Hillman) and a scrub back Hester. I understand not being able to get the ball deep down the field, but at times we were killing them on shallow crossing routes, and we just completely abandoned that. Didn't force Ray Lewis to cover a RB in space much. JDR doesn't escape blame either. Flacco has a terrible habit of pulling deep out of the pocket when exposed to pressure up the middle? A gap pressure? Nope, he could make a ****ing sandwich most of the time. The field goal attempt was a strangely un Fox like call and yet it still sucked.

2.) Rahim Moore. We win the game if he makes that stop in any fashion, period. Even if he gives up the big play if he stays in front of the defender he makes the tackle at the 18, they still have to run all the way down the field with no timeouts and set and spike the ball. Instead he takes the worst angle I've ever seen a defensive player take. Trade him for a 6th rounder, cheeseburger, whatever, he's done here.

3.) Officiating. Not going to go over the litany of terrible calls again, but I would also add the time they took to make a call. You threw the god damn flag, make a call. These all-star officiating crews need to go bye bye. Also a ton of late flags, and inconsistent ticky tack ****. Probably the most poorly officiated playoff game since the Seahawks got ****ed in the SB.

4.) Champ- This was your last best chance buddy and you shat the bed.

5.) Doom/Von- Von didn't play poorly, but this should have been the game where he asserted himself as the young dominant Lion in the AFC. Instead he was "meh." Seriously doubt JJ. Watt is going to have a meh game tomorrow.

6.) Peyton. He had some bad audibles into runs. He didn't drive the ball effectively. His placement was off and he ultimately provided the dagger in OT.

7.) Decker and DT. Holding or not, Decker should have snagged the ball on that pick six. DT sans the touchdown was a ghost.

8.) Interior offensive line. Mount Cody and Ngata largely blew **** up today. Tough game to be a lineman because of the officating, but still.

9.) Prater. Perfect snap, perfect hold, at least make contact with the ball.
Yep, Kuper did not play a good game in this one. Can the Broncos find a goos safety someday? Just get me one, I'd love 2 of course, but I'd settle for one that can make a positive difference for once.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #43
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,396

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Yep, Kuper did not play a good game in this one. Can the Broncos find a goos safety someday? Just get me one, I'd love 2 of course, but I'd settle for one that can make a positive difference for once.
Some good safeties at the bottom of the 1st round/top of the 2nd round. The Vacaro (sp?) kid from Texas will be a good one. Denver needs more dynamic playmakers on offense as well. A TE that can stretch the field (I like Gavin Escobar with a 4th rounder) another WR, and an upgrade at RB.

Holes were exposed today in addition to Fox and company's meltdown.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #44
ChrisToker
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I'm trying not to, but if you think about it ... did Holliday make this game closer than the score would indicate?
This will sound weird but if holliday gets tackled both times and we get a few first downs at worst that would have put us around 80 plus plays in mid 4th qtr. Would the ravens. D been more tanked than they already were? I'm just throwing a different view hypothetical of course that's why he was a great pick up for us. But between his scores and the officials phuking us on key drives, I assume we would have had crazy time of possession
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #45
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,396

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisToker View Post
This will sound weird but if holliday gets tackled both times and we get a few first downs at worst that would have put us around 80 plus plays in mid 4th qtr. Would the ravens. D been more tanked than they already were? I'm just throwing a different view hypothetical of course that's why he was a great pick up for us. But between his scores and the officials phuking us on key drives, I assume we would have had crazy time of possession
They were already tanked and ready to tap out. Halfway through the 4th quarter, CBS panned around the Raven's side-line and they all looked like they wanted to hop on the warm bus back to the airport. Then John Fox **** the bed. Then Rahim Moore **** the bed. Then Peyton Manning **** the bed. Bottom line is the Ravens were ready to be put out to pasture and Denver didn't have the heart, desire, balls whatever you want to call it do finish them. Instead, they played not to lose as the old cliche goes. Except for Rahim Moore, who thought he'd try to be Deion Sanders instead of staying in front of the defender.

Last edited by razorwire77; 01-12-2013 at 11:27 PM..
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #46
canadianbroncosfan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I'm trying not to, but if you think about it ... did Holliday make this game closer than the score would indicate?
I always hate these hindsight things. Nothing saying if he doesn't return them for TDs that PFM doesn't march them down the field and score anyways.

If PFM doesn't have three turnovers is this game not a blow out?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #47
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,499

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisToker View Post
This will sound weird but if holliday gets tackled both times and we get a few first downs at worst that would have put us around 80 plus plays in mid 4th qtr. Would the ravens. D been more tanked than they already were? I'm just throwing a different view hypothetical of course that's why he was a great pick up for us. But between his scores and the officials phuking us on key drives, I assume we would have had crazy time of possession
You assume that they actually wanted to be there. They all had the look of wanting to be anywhere else but sub-freezing weather...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #48
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Players having bad games and making mistakes on the field I can deal with, but what Fox did as a coach today is unforgivable. For me that's what this is really about. The day he is no longer the Broncos head coach can't come fast enough for me. He's the Kyle Orton of head coaches in my eyes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #49
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

We needed a qb who steps it up under pressure, not throws it away. Manning is amazing, but clutch? No. He threw a game ender in the SB too. 9-11 in the playoffs... That int killed me.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #50
orinjkrush
...
 
orinjkrush's Avatar
 
Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: FrontRangeAbove8500ft
Posts: 5,161

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland
Default

plenty of finger pointing to go around. everybody is searching for answers. the true test for Elway now will be can he make the TOUGH choices necessary to fix the holes that were clearly exposed. Or will he go safe and putz around at the margin?
Questions: Fox/McCoy playcalling? Champ? Safeties? No pressure on D? Pressure on Peyton? Covering TEs? Fragile RBs? and the biggest question of all: how much DID those refs cost?
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Denver Broncos