The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #26
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Give McCoy a break, he had his next interview on his mind!

/sarcasm
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Truth is if you watched football the last time Fox made a run (2003 with the Panthers), you would know this is how he plays ball.

It is hard to believe that Manning couldn't overrule him or at least influence him to change some of his play calling. Especially the 3rd and 7 before we punted to them with 1:09 left in the 4th quarter.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #28
Drunken.Broncoholic

I mentioned something in the game thread when they chose to run on 3rd and 7 giving 1 minute to the ravens offense. I said they scored right before halftime after that blown field goal attempt way too quick. Giving them a minute was handing them the game. Fox full on conceded the game right there.

I've defended fox before but no more. There comes a point where it's just costing games. And it cost us a huge one. Rahim Moore screwed up but fox and co put Moore in that position. NEVER leave the door open for a team. 3rd and ****ing 7 you hand it off?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #29
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Truth is if you watched football the last time Fox made a run (2003 with the Panthers), you would know this is how he plays ball.

It is hard to believe that Manning couldn't overrule him or at least influence him to change some of his play calling. Especially the 3rd and 7 before we punted to them with 1:09 left in the 4th quarter.
I am unable to forget this..I thought we won the game and about to look forward to next week.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #30
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Teblow isn't going to be in the NFL next season he SUCKS THAT ****ING BAD
Tim Tebow is the only QB who's won John Fox a playoff game since 2005. Maybe he doesn't know everything about QBs.

Same with Elway, McCoy, Rex Ryan, and the rest of the NFL. Bunch of JAGs who got passes to the good ol' boys football club if you ask me. If it wasn't for the NFL the lot of them would be lucky to teach high school PE, so why would we treat their opinion as some kind of infallible decree?

All I know is the results on the field. When Fox and McCoy pulled their chicken **** "lets back into the W" antics with Tebow he still found ways to win games. They try that with Peyton Manning and we get embarrassed from half time on. If it wasn't for Holliday this came wouldn't have even been competitive.

So maybe Tim Tebow not being in the league next year, should that happen, says more about the inability of NFL personnel men and coaches to assess what it actually takes to succeed than it does about Tebow's ability to play QB.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #31
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Tim Tebow is the only QB who's won John Fox a playoff game since 2005. Maybe he doesn't know everything about QBs.

Same with Elway, McCoy, Rex Ryan, and the rest of the NFL. Bunch of JAGs who got passes to the good ol' boys football club if you ask me. If it wasn't for the NFL the lot of them would be lucky to teach high school PE, so why would we treat their opinion as some kind of infallible decree?

All I know is the results on the field. When Fox and McCoy pulled their chicken **** "lets back into the W" antics with Tebow he still found ways to win games. They try that with Peyton Manning and we get embarrassed from half time on. If it wasn't for Holliday this came wouldn't have even been competitive.

So maybe Tim Tebow not being in the league next year, should that happen, says more about the inability of NFL personnel men and coaches to assess what it actually takes to succeed than it does about Tebow's ability to play QB.
They did what they could with at best a CFL QB and Kyle Orton for one season.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

McCoy will be off to another team as head coach!!! Bring in someone that has some nuts when play calling
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #33
orangemonkey
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:

Drek- you are disgusting.
orangemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #34
Vine

You can't change ideologies. A person who believes low taxes is best for the economy will always believe low taxes is best for the economy. A person who believes more guns means a safer society will always believe more guns means a safer society. A person who is pro choice will always be pro choice.

The sooner John Elway realizes this, the better. Cut John Fox, reload with a more competent coach, and make another run. Next year.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #35
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
If the chargers can fire Marty Schotenheimer after a 14-2 season, the Broncos can fire John Fox after a 13-3 season.
...holy ****. Norv Turner is available too!
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #36
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

You guys should go start a website. This off season is going to be unbearable.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #37
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Teblow isn't going to be in the NFL next season he SUCKS THAT ****ING BAD
You are probably right about that... but look at it this way. His only year starting with a real young roster, he goes into a playoff game as a huge underdog and get a win. PM dominates the season and goes into the playoffs with what most thought was the best team in the league, he goes into the game as a huge favorite and just choked (with huge help from the defense). Think about that. Tebow 1-1 in the playoffs with the Broncos. PM 0-1.

Are we a better team with PM? Heck to the yeah!!! There is no denying that. The season was awesome, but there is just something about him that changes in the playoffs. It's not hate. Just look at his playoff history. Last year was a surprise, the playoff loss to the Pats didn't feel so bad. This,... I just heart broken.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #38
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Rahim knocks the ball down we win and all is Great!! instead he takes a horrible angle and wiffs on the ball so let's fire the coach...WOW
Honestly, except for the opening return, the game never had that feeling that we were special. Always had the feeling that we would somehow blow it. Just the way the game was playing out. Mistakes all over the ****ing place, bad reffing, and just absolute no balls playcalling at crucial times.

Two things for Fox to think about all offseason: run on 3rd & 7 when you can ice the game, kneel with 30 seconds and two timeouts. Either he has zero balls, or Manning can't throw in the cold. Either way, someone must pay.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #39
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
We were outcoached, outplayed and got some bad calls.
Thats it in a nutshell,

I loath Foxy's tendency to go much too Conservative at the worst possible time as he did tonight which assured defeat snatched from the Jaws of victory, but we got outplayed in the secondary, were definitely out coached with several poor decisions by Foxy and got jobbed for sure on several terrible ref calls including the 7 point 'gimme' non-call with the Interference mugging of Decker that was ignored and that led to the ref called pick 6 standing.

The weather wasnt our friend today either, but wasn't the main factor either, the offense really lost its rhythm for most of the second half after Knowshon went down buy by the time both Manning and Hillman got in a groove and helped set up what SHOULD have been the winning TD by DT, it all was thrown out the window when, after getting the ball back after a great defensive stand, Fox then calls three 'Dive' runs right up the middle by Hillman which weren't even trying to get more than 2 to 3 yards max per carry . it was unforrivable not to at least let Manning try the safest Play action pass we had on 3rd and 7 when Manning had been in a groove the last two drives!

Unbelievable really, and this one will really sting for a while, but maybe it will also serve as the motivation to kick ass, after a few more critical position improvements in the off-season and lead to the same kind of successful season we had the next two years after the similar Jacksonville heartbreaker upset in the divisional game in the 1996 season!?

Time will tell. Of course, firing Fox isn't the answer, but John Elway making sure Fox fully acknowledges and 'owns' his critical play calling mistakes at the end of the game and insure he will no longer make such consistently anal calls at the end of games is very much called for!

Better luck next year!

Last edited by Hulamau; 01-12-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #40
Drunken.Broncoholic

Morenos injury was big. And people said I was wrong calling him injury prone at the worst times.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #41
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
They did what they could with at best a CFL QB and Kyle Orton for one season.
And that strategy also just so happens to be exactly what they did with a future first ballot HoF QB.

At some point you stop blaming the tool and start blaming the idiot holding it.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #42
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
And that strategy also just so happens to be exactly what they did with a future first ballot HoF QB.

At some point you stop blaming the tool and start blaming the idiot holding it.
Tebow is on his way out of the NFL. How you can think he is anywhere close to the answer is down right nuts. You can't say Fox was the reason why Tebow failed when Fox was the only coach that would play him. The rest of the NFL is done with him.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #43
hades

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Thats it in a nutshell,

I loath Foxy's tendency to go much too Conservative at the worst possible time as he did tonight which assured defeat snatched from the Jaws of victory, but we got outplayed in the secondary, were definitely out coached with several poor decisions by Foxy and got jobbed for sure on several terrible ref calls including the 7 point 'gimme' non-call with the Interference mugging of Decker that was ignored and that led to the ref called pick 6 standing.

The weather wasnt our friend today either, but wasn't the main factor either, the offense really lost its rhythm for most of the second half after Knowshon went down but the time Hillman got in a groove and helped set up what SHOULD have been the winning TD by DT, it all was thrown out the window when, after getting the ball back after a great defensive stand, Fox then calls three 'Dive' runs right up the middle which werent even trying to get more than 2 to 3 yards max per carry and did so again on 3rd and 7 when Manning had been in a groove the last two drives!

Unbelievable really and this one will really sting for a while but maybe it will also serve as the motivation to kick ass, after a few more critical position improvements in the offseason for the same kind of successful season we had the next two years after the similar Jacksonville upset in the divisional game in 1996 season!?

Time will tell. Of course, firing Fox isn't the answer, but John Elway making sure Fox fully acknowledges and owns his critical mistakes at the end of the game and will no longer make such consistently anal calls at the end of games is very much called for!

Better luck next year!
Yeah, I can hear the Fox after-game press conference. Well, we made a few bad plays and will watch the film and make the necessary adjustments...

It's 8:46 CST and I'm still sad.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #44
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It just sure seemed like Fox inserted himself more in this game in regards to play calling and direction (conservative vice aggressive calling). Which was basically what was happening the first 5 games of the season. Once the training wheels were allowed to come off, this team was an a tear.

Why did Fox decide to go back to the stoneage **** that wasn't working earlier in the year? Why not just let the team continue to roll with what was working and trust his players and coaches to continue to execute that vision? Boggles my ****ing mind.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #45
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Yeah, I can hear the Fox after-game press conference. Well, we made a few bad plays and will watch the film and make the necessary adjustments...

It's 8:46 CST and I'm still sad.
This will never be forgotten. Considering the position they were in under 2 minutes to go in the game, it makes it the worst loss the broncos have ever had. The SBs were blow outs. At least they didnt leave a win on the field.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #46
hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
This will never be forgotten. Considering the position they were in under 2 minutes to go in the game, it makes it the worst loss the broncos have ever had. The SBs were blow outs. At least they didnt leave a win on the field.
Yup, the end of each half will give me night terrors! I told my wife, watch, hardly any time left and they will go down and score... Happened both times.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #47
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
It just sure seemed like Fox inserted himself more in this game in regards to play calling and direction (conservative vice aggressive calling). Which was basically what was happening the first 5 games of the season. Once the training wheels were allowed to come off, this team was an a tear.

Why did Fox decide to go back to the stoneage **** that wasn't working earlier in the year? Why not just let the team continue to roll with what was working and trust his players and coaches to continue to execute that vision? Boggles my ****ing mind.
I swear, if it boils down to Manning not being able to throw in bitter cold weather, a mushroom cloud will form over my house.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #48
Armchair Bronco

Apparently, Fox got in one of those Dodge Dart time machines and thought he had Tebow on the 3rd and 7 play. :facepalm:

Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #49
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Fox is complete and total garbage. He needs to be fired tonight and Del Rio or McCoy needs to be promoted. Inexcusable.
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #50
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post

Fox has a number of attributes that has made him well suited for helping to stabilize this turn around project and provide the steady, good 'ole boy hand that all the players could feel comfortable with ... and yet he has shown one glaring consistent weakness, at least when it comes to being a very successful playoff calibre coach, and that is his innate ultra-conservative viewpoint on life that overall makes his first instincts to go for the safest option in all situations when there is risk and yet high reward for a bit of boldness at the right time.

That isnt always a bad thing, but since this is so ingrained in his instincts, the few times he does try to go for it ... like on a 4th down or a fake FG for instance, it so often lacks the kind of natural instinct for the right time and place to go for it, that those few attempts at breaking his conservative pattern too often backfire on his and fail.

This then has only reinforced his tendency at the end of games when we have had a lead, usually what he considers a safe lead of 10+ points midway through the fourth quarter, to then pull back on the offenive reins .. which means curtailing or preventing any passing even when Peyton Manning is in a groove!

Instead at these times Fox then tends to fall back on his conservative formula of three straight 'dive plays' up the middle with hardly even any intention of getting a first down. If the RB happens to stumble forward enough to get a first then all the better and he looks more like a genius in his own mind, but in reality he is just as content to run some more time off the clock and then punt and let his beloved defensive side of the ball hold the other teams offense in check until 'hopefully' the clock runs out. This can work when its mathematically next to impossible for a come back, but not with only a 7 point lead with 2:30 minutes left in a playoff game!!!

I'm not at all suggesting there is no place for playing it so safe late in a game, but Foxy's failure and his Achilles heal, lies in his lack of nuance and 'gut feel' of when to use it and under what scenarios and circumstances to call for going for it with bolder and some what higher risk but much higher reward play calling!

He may have a whole bucket of stats proving to himself that 80% of the time this strategy works out for the best... However, the problem is he then uses it almost 100% of the time at the end of games when ever we have a decent lead, but even as tonight an unsafe 7 point lead in a critical win or go home playoff game against a very skilled and experienced playoff opponent!

Almost all the cases he has used it this year, we still won which only reinforced his conviction no doubt in his strategy. Even though it always resulted in us winning by a significantly lesser margin than we would have won by had we played more like what got us the lead to begin with, until very near the game's end. And if we did not also go into a prevent defense mode at the same time that we took the foot off the offensive gas.

This kind of myopic shortsightedness which is clearly driven by his inherent aversion to even modest risk/ high reward game planning in the last half of 4th quarters when running out the clock seems so much more his own speed, and is just what killed us tonight!

For sure, there were plenty other factors, including a big let down by our whole secondary tonight .. except for our best CB Chris Harris (Tony Carter also made a few good plays plus one costly PI penalty), the untimely loss of Knowshon for the whole second half which threw off the Offensive rhythm for all of the third quarter and half of the 4th quarter before Hillman and Manning both got the flow back in sync.

Not to mention the several really awful and game costing Referee screw ups including gift wrapping 7 points for the Ravens which by itself was more than the difference between winning and losing tonight's game.

But in spite of all that, we were still mostly in control and had a slim but steady upperhand in the game and several times had come back from allowing the big throw TD passes by Flacco.

The real back breaker tonight was all on Fox when he clearly assured failure by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory with his asinine but all too predictable play calling with less than 3 minutes to go when we got the ball back with a 7 point lead and we squeezed out their last time outs.

At the very time when Fox needed to go against his own innate tendency to keep it safe against a solid playoff tested team, he played it conservative once again and it killed us.

The Ravens response was anything but conservative with a 70 yard Hail Mary for the tying TD!! And why not, it had worked three times already and this was the BIG Dance after all!

In contrast, Fox resorted to his beloved 'small ball' which his stats says is the safest way to go 'most of the time', and yet he failed to recognize the perfect time to not go with stats but trust his $90 million dollar all world QB to get you seven yards when the Ravens were not even stopping our pass game much and it wound up costing us everything!

So while you are clearly right in seeing this problem too, 'Atwater his Asz', I wouldnt say he suddenly went back to it. He just continued tonight resorting to the same 'dont risk a bigger win' scenario at the end of games that he did all year long!

I really hope Elway can sit him down and do an honest critique of all of Foxy's many good points as a coach and this major weakness that has played a role in separating him from the elite level head coaches and flexible game planners like Belichek and even the Harbaugh brothers who seem to have than knack for getting it right more often than wrong just when to buck the trend and forget his idea of 'absolute safety first' and go for it.

Last edited by Hulamau; 01-13-2013 at 12:32 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote