The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
B-Large

Default Nate Silver's Prediction is In....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2451994.html

This guy is a lock on Politics and Baseball, hopefully he is wrong about the SB this year.... I hope Houston's D beats the everloving piss out of Tom Brady so Von can finsih him off, Mountain Time....
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

That Super Bowl matchup would be stupid enough and depressing enough to get me to go to one of those dumbass Super Bowl parties.
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Football is quite a bit more unpredictable than baseball and politics. Since it's a team sport, no matter how talented and well coached your team is one weak link or boneheaded play can completely change the game. For example, Flacco's pick 6 on the goal line by Harris isn't something that can be accounted for by statistics or past history, it was a bit of a fluke, and changed the game from probably 10-7 to a 17-0 game heading into halftime. That effected the entire game and changed both sides gameplans in the 2nd half (playing into ours, obviously).

I love me some Nate Silver, I just don't buy it.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happened, really I'm just taking it one game at a time. We need to just get by Baltimore and go from there.
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
DENVERDUI55

Why even play the games now? Just another prediction.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meanie View Post
Football is quite a bit more unpredictable than baseball and politics. Since it's a team sport, no matter how talented and well coached your team is one weak link or boneheaded play can completely change the game. For example, Flacco's pick 6 on the goal line by Harris isn't something that can be accounted for by statistics or past history, it was a bit of a fluke, and changed the game from probably 10-7 to a 17-0 game heading into halftime. That effected the entire game and changed both sides gameplans in the 2nd half (playing into ours, obviously).

that's kind of what I was thinking, alot of moving parts.... but it would be very interesting to hear from Nate of one of his other geeks what analystics and trends actually do show repeatability and measure success...

Silver, during the elelction made a footbal comparison I thought was eye opening. At the time, Obama had a 85% chance of winning the elelction, and Nate compared it to an NFL team having a lead of three point, two minutes to go and you are on offense starting at your 30 yard line... that siuation in the NFL turns out a win 85% of the time... that's pretty cool.

Alot of team are begininng to build a Analytics dept for scouting and drafting... there is a belief Moneyball can be replicated in the NFL.. I don't know if it can, but I love Stats and these breakdowns...
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Certainly possible
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

It's not really his prediction, just what the Football Outsiders metrics say the best teams are in each conference.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Yeah, i dont think this is really a huge limb, but obviously there are more variables that go into a football game than a political vote. You can't predict drop passes, fumbles, tipped picks, and so on and so forth. The political equivilant would be like 5,000 liberals suddenly switching their vote 5 days before the election. Doesnt happen.

But some statistician even said the broncos had a 75 percent chance of winning this weekend. If you told me i had a 25 percent chance of winning the lottery tomorrow, id be pretty damn excited.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Beej
Seasoned Veteran

Silver says, "balance is the key" to the Seahawks beating the Falcons or 49ers; I wonder why he doesn't apply that to the Patriots/Broncos matchup? We are way more balanced than New England.
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej View Post
Silver says, "balance is the key" to the Seahawks beating the Falcons or 49ers; I wonder why he doesn't apply that to the Patriots/Broncos matchup? We are way more balanced than New England.
Sure, but is it outlandish to think NE could come here and beat us? Of course not. Should that game occur though, methinks it'll be EPIC.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

reading the huffpost is your first mistake.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Yeah, i dont think this is really a huge limb, but obviously there are more variables that go into a football game than a political vote. You can't predict drop passes, fumbles, tipped picks, and so on and so forth. The political equivilant would be like 5,000 liberals suddenly switching their vote 5 days before the election. Doesnt happen.

But some statistician even said the broncos had a 75 percent chance of winning this weekend. If you told me i had a 25 percent chance of winning the lottery tomorrow, id be pretty damn excited.
Exactly. Games are determined by moments, not the minds of individuals and their feelings about a topic or their well-being.

And as someone else pointed out, the article isn't even a prediction. It's the odds.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
And this too...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
FoxNews already has it's readers convinced that the Cowboys won this year's Super Bowl.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Silver nailed the election because polling data is designed to and provides a fairly accurate representation of potential election results. There's no such comparable data for sports. If Silver makes an election prediction, you listen. That doesn't mean he can predict everything. Still, wish his prediction was different.

Last edited by Bronco X; 01-11-2013 at 11:46 AM..
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
FoxNews already has it's readers convinced that the Cowboys won this year's Super Bowl.
really? I guess I'd care if I watched Fox. But thanks for informing me. I love it how librals know more about Fox than independents like me. The huffpost is a libral rag for tards.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
really? I guess I'd care if I watched Fox. But thanks for informing me. I love it how librals know more about Fox than independents like me. The huffpost is a libral rag for tards.
We took a perfectly nice thread about winning probabilities and turned it into a policial fight. Well done.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #19
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Sure, but is it outlandish to think NE could come here and beat us? Of course not. Should that game occur though, methinks it'll be EPIC.
I agree.

Anything can happen in the plaoffs. All it takes is one bad day. The Giants won two Super Bowls going against home playoff teams that thought they would handle them easily.

We should win this game, but am I 100% confident we will? No flippin way.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
We took a perfectly nice thread about winning probabilities and turned it into a policial fight. Well done.
no we didn't. I stated some facts and you pulled up your skirt and cried.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
DenverDynamite

I love Nate Silver, but he's a baseball guy.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'm sorry, but isn't Huffington Post part of AOL? Objectively speaking isn't that kind of a sign of it sucking? It's like if drudge report went to myspace....
Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #23
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meanie View Post

I hope you're right....

Silver picked every election correctly in 2012 except North Dakota.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
It's not really his prediction, just what the Football Outsiders metrics say the best teams are in each conference.
Except Football Outsiders has the Broncos as #2 behind Seattle
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Exactly. Games are determined by moments, not the minds of individuals and their feelings about a topic or their well-being.

And as someone else pointed out, the article isn't even a prediction. It's the odds.
No, its not even the odds.

Whatever Silver did, he went out on a limb picking New England.

the odds favor Denver.

Football Outsiders favors Denver (in the AFC)

And while Silver has been right in politics and baseball, he is a far cry from knowing what football outsiders does and even football outsiders doesn't have a good track record of predicting football games.

In fact, football is the most unpredictable of all sports (NFL that is). In the NBA and College hoops there are literally dozens of really fantastic metrics that are great predictors. IN baseball they can basically just stop playing because the predictors in them are extremely refined.

But football, the best model is DVOA from football outsiders and they are wrong far more often than they are right.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote