The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #27
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Ahahaha
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #28
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

hahaha well done
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #29
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
What positions are this years draft deep in?
Well, in my opinion, RB is always deep. Which is why I don't like drafting one before the 3rd round
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #30
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

OMG that was funny!

"I want so much happy too"
"Me so much happy want"

gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #31
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Well, in my opinion, RB is always deep. Which is why I don't like drafting one before the 3rd round
There are 16 RB's who gained over 1,000 yards rushing in the NFL in 2012. 12 of them were selected before the 10th pick of the 3rd round.

There were 14 RB's who gained over 1,000 yards rushing in the NFL in 2011. 13 of them were picked on or before the 1st pick of the 3rd round.

Last edited by pricejj; 01-08-2013 at 05:03 PM..
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #32
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
There are 16 RB's who gained over 1,000 yards rushing in the NFL in 2012. 12 of them were selected before the 10th pick of the 3rd round.

There were 14 RB's who gained over 1,000 yards rushing in the NFL in 2011. 13 of them were picked on or before the 1st pick of the 3rd round.
Wasted resources.

How many of those 1st and second round 1k rushers made the playoffs (4)...how many with the team that drafted them(3)....and how many are left(2)?

As much as I defend Moreno, because he does have talent, we didn't need to draft him in the first round. Running back is the most plug and play position in the NFL. It is a position that is very statistically dependent on the offense, and one that can be hard to judge on numbers alone. It's also my favorite position, and the one I failed to be successful at in college.

A commitee approach is the best practice for running backs.

Think team success, not individual stats.

For example: Since the Cowboys SB suns in the early 90's, only 2 teams have won the Superbowl with a high round Running back that they drafted: Baltimore in 2000 (Jamal Lewis) and the Colts in 2006 (Addai).
Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #33
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Wasted resources.

How many of those 1st and second round 1k rushers made the playoffs (4)...how many with the team that drafted them(3)....and how many are left(2)?

As much as I defend Moreno, because he does have talent, we didn't need to draft him in the first round. Running back is the most plug and play position in the NFL. It is a position that is very statistically dependent on the offense, and one that can be hard to judge on numbers alone. It's also my favorite position, and the one I failed to be successful at in college.

A commitee approach is the best practice for running backs.

Think team success, not individual stats.

For example: Since the Cowboys SB suns in the early 90's, only 2 teams have won the Superbowl with a high round Running back that they drafted: Baltimore in 2000 (Jamal Lewis) and the Colts in 2006 (Addai).
I'm not advocating to take an RB in the 1st round this year. But not everybody can evaluate RB's as good as Shanahan and Bobby Turner.

Of the 4 remaining teams in the AFC playoffs, 3 of the 4 starting RB's were drafted before the 10th pick in the 3rd round (Foster is the other).

Of the 4 remaining teams in the NFC playoffs, 3 of the 4 starting RB's were drafted on or before the 1st pick of the 3rd round (and you can pretty much guarantee the Packers are going to pick an RB in the first 2 rounds this year).

It's just as important to have a high draft pick starting RB, as it is any other position. The Broncos don't have Shanahan, Turner, Gibbs, or Kubiak anymore. And we don't run the 2-back ZBS either. The RB in a single-back set MUST be able to pick up yards consistently without a lead blocker. You need to have a really good RB to at least take the pressure off the QB, or your toast. Same goes for Manning and the Broncos.

McGahee, Moreno, and Hillman were all high draft picks.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #34
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
I'm not advocating to take an RB in the 1st round this year. But not everybody can evaluate RB's as good as Shanahan and Bobby Turner.

Of the 4 remaining teams in the AFC playoffs, 3 of the 4 starting RB's were drafted before the 10th pick in the 3rd round (Foster is the other).

Of the 4 remaining teams in the NFC playoffs, 3 of the 4 starting RB's were drafted on or before the 1st pick of the 3rd round (and you can pretty much guarantee the Packers are going to pick an RB in the first 2 rounds this year).

It's just as important to have a high draft pick starting RB, as it is any other position. The Broncos don't have Shanahan, Turner, Gibbs, or Kubiak anymore. And we don't run the 2-back ZBS either. The RB in a single-back set MUST be able to pick up yards consistently without a lead blocker. You need to have a really good RB to at least take the pressure off the QB, or your toast. Same goes for Manning and the Broncos.

McGahee, Moreno, and Hillman were all high draft picks.
Pats - Ridley was a 3rd rounder
Texans - Foster undrafted
Rice - 2nd rounder
Moreno - 1st rounder...ugh

Falcons - Turner, 4th or 5th rounder
Packers - none high picks
49ers - Gore was a 3rd rounder
Seahawks - Lynch a 1st rounder

I just think it shows unless you have an absolute elite talent prospect, you can wait to take a RB. Pats won 2 Super Bowls with Antowain Smith their starting RB, Steelers won with Willie Parker, Packers won with Grant/Starks, Giants with Jacobs/Bradshaw. Don't reach for a RB basically.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #35
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

I want 1st and 2nd round draft picks at as many starting positions as possible on the Broncos, except where lower round guys are clearly playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Here's all the lower draft pick starters on the Broncos:

Core Starters:
1. Elvis Dumervil (Pro Bowler)
2. Dan Koppen (former Pro Bowler)
3. Wesley Woodyard (playing at a Pro Bowl level)
4. Chris Harris (playing at a Pro Bowl level)
5. Eric Decker (should have been a 2nd round pick, having a great year)

Could be replaced:
6. Chris Kuper (good player, but had issues early in his career being effective in the redzone)
7. Mike Adams (playing well, but could be replaced)
8. Joel Dreessen (playing well, but could be replaced)
9. Kevin Vickerson (needs to be upgraded)
10. Justin Bannan (needs to be upgraded by shifting Wolfe)
11. Throw in Keith Brooking due to his age

The only starters that may be upgraded in the offseason are all low draft picks.

That's why it's so imperative to draft starters with your first two picks, year after year. If not...you're team won't be very good.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #36
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Per Klis at Denver post.

Porter, Clady, Kuper, Holliday, McGahee, Xanders' unicorn - all practicing.

McGahee is ineligible to play. Not sure if any of the above will be limited, either.
Why can't Willis play until the Championship game? This rule brings confusion to my doorstep.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #37
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Whoops...was wrong about Turner.

Other than that, only Foster, and whomever GB is probably going to replace with Lacy in the 1st round, was drafted before the 10th pick of the 3rd round.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #38
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I wish it was cold in denver today so we can practice in it.

I really need to get over the weather. I think im in the minority of people who think it'll affect us
Yes, because it's never cold anywhere else these professional players have played...
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #39
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Why can't Willis play until the Championship game? This rule brings confusion to my doorstep.
I think you have to be on IR a certain period of time before you can be taken off. It seems to be the only reason why. I read some where that if a game were tomorrow, he wouldn't be ready to go anyway.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #40
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I thought Willis is on the PUP list, and can't play for six weeks after being placed on that list.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #41
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMind View Post
I thought Willis is on the PUP list, and can't play for six weeks after being placed on that list.
The rules are the same but you are only eligible for PUP if your injury is not during the presason or regular season.

McGahee is on IR.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #42
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The rules are the same but you are only eligible for PUP if your injury is not during the presason or regular season.

McGahee is on IR.
Just read up on this, interesting that they can bring one player back now. Always thought the PUP was an in season thing, my mistake.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #43
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Yay. I still think Moreno should hold onto the #1 job though. He's been great for us (and holding onto the ball)
This looks just so strange in print. Not that I disagree with you. Just sayin
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #44
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Quote:
Here
Such strong work here
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #45
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #46
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
I want 1st and 2nd round draft picks at as many starting positions as possible on the Broncos, except where lower round guys are clearly playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Here's all the lower draft pick starters on the Broncos:

Core Starters:
1. Elvis Dumervil (Pro Bowler)
2. Dan Koppen (former Pro Bowler)
3. Wesley Woodyard (playing at a Pro Bowl level)
4. Chris Harris (playing at a Pro Bowl level)
5. Eric Decker (should have been a 2nd round pick, having a great year)

Could be replaced:
6. Chris Kuper (good player, but had issues early in his career being effective in the redzone)
7. Mike Adams (playing well, but could be replaced)
8. Joel Dreessen (playing well, but could be replaced)
9. Kevin Vickerson (needs to be upgraded)
10. Justin Bannan (needs to be upgraded by shifting Wolfe)
11. Throw in Keith Brooking due to his age

The only starters that may be upgraded in the offseason are all low draft picks.

That's why it's so imperative to draft starters with your first two picks, year after year. If not...you're team won't be very good.
I think Vickerson doesn't need to be upgraded that much, he's played decent so far to be honest.
I think you're crazy if you think Kuper, probably our best OL, needs to be upgraded.
TE, yes, it would help tremendously to have a great TE out there.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #47
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Whoops...was wrong about Turner.

Other than that, only Foster, and whomever GB is probably going to replace with Lacy in the 1st round, was drafted before the 10th pick of the 3rd round.
Like I said....3rd round is where you start with a RB, no earlier. Outside of Rice and Moreno, All of the playoff RB's are 3 round or later....or were free agents. You want to sign a former 1st rounder on the cheap? I'm all for it. Spending a 1st round draft pick on a RB is a bad value, second rounder is pushing it....3rd or 4th is just about right.

That's where you'll find guys like:
Michael Dyer
Kenjon Barner
Rex Burkhead
Christine Michael
Marcus Lattimore
Cameron Marshall

All guys that I think will be good pros
Old 01-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #48
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
Like I said....3rd round is where you start with a RB, no earlier. Outside of Rice and Moreno, All of the playoff RB's are 3 round or later....or were free agents. You want to sign a former 1st rounder on the cheap? I'm all for it. Spending a 1st round draft pick on a RB is a bad value, second rounder is pushing it....3rd or 4th is just about right.

That's where you'll find guys like:
Michael Dyer
Kenjon Barner
Rex Burkhead
Christine Michael
Marcus Lattimore
Cameron Marshall

All guys that I think will be good pros
I'm on the boat unless you have a special talent at RB, you don't take one in the 1st round.
2nd round I'm all for it.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #49
Bacchus

Quote:
Yay. I still think Moreno should hold onto the #1 job though. He's been great for us (and holding onto the ball)
He is simply not as good. Moreno will start in the AFC Championship game but if all goes well I expect McGahee to start the SB.

McGahee's fumbling has been a recent two year thing. He has not been a fumbler throughout his career. Hopefully, he will get it under control but Denver needs him on the field. He is quicker, a better runner, pass protector and probably even faster than Moreno.

25 carries Mcgahee gets 132 yards rushing.
25 carries Moreno gets only 114 yards and he doesn't do the little things as well.

I'm all for them splitting carries because Moreno has done a great job filling in, but that is what he has been doing, filling in.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #50
Bacchus

Quote:
He is simply not as good. Moreno will start in the AFC Championship game but if all goes well I expect McGahee to start the SB.

McGahee's fumbling has been a recent two year thing. He has not been a fumbler throughout his career. Hopefully, he will get it under control but Denver needs him on the field. He is quicker, a better runner, pass protector and probably even faster than Moreno.

25 carries Mcgahee gets 132 yards rushing.
25 carries Moreno gets only 114 yards and he doesn't do the little things as well.

I'm all for them splitting carries because Moreno has done a great job filling in, but that is what he has been doing, filling in.