The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #26
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

NE has two TE's that can take the load as well. If Decker and DMT stay 100% healthy in Manning era then I agree about WR spot. If they don't stay healthy it gets ugly fast so I'm open for another wr or two in 13.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
He will be franchise tagged, he is the only thing that offense has going for it.
The Rams are just $10 million under the salary cap and franchise tagging Amendola would cost them over $10 million. St. Louis is more likely to pursue a long-term contract

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4991/danny-amendola
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #28
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Throw it at Henry Melton.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #29
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I would be cool with spending money on Vet Offensive players and using all our draft picks on Defensive players to build for "After Manning"
Exactly.
Go get an Amendola, who will jump at being able to play for multiple SBs and have Peyton throwing to him, and draft a MLB a DT and a CB with another mid round/late RB.
Shoot, Teams dont have to spend tons anymore on high draft picks, so draft a DT every 3 years! If he pans out, great! pay him.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #30
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

You guys should see the thread I just made. Has all the #'s of the UFA and RFA we have, plus guys who could be casualties or candidates for restructure to save more money. Please do it. PLEASE GO TO MY THREAD YOU GUIYS!!!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #31
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWheatGrower View Post
All teams have committed a sizeable chunk of their cap space towards compensating the quarterback.

Critics rip the Peyton contract all the time, but Denver paid market value for a four-time MVP. That's the going rate. I think they got a heck of a deal, too. He's worth every penny they are paying him.

After Peyton at $18 million, Sam Bradford (15.595 million), Philip Rivers ($15.310 million) and Michael Vick ($13.9 million) are the No. 2-4 highest paid QBs in terms of 2012 cap hits.
I agree I don't even count the Peyton deal as a crazy splurge free agent move, because it is a move anyone in the league in need of a QB would make.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #32
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
Why are you so consistently negative regarding the Broncos. Enjoy the ride dude.
He doesn't like the Broncos.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #33
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
Why are you so consistently negative regarding the Broncos. Enjoy the ride dude.
Unlike some I'm facing facts. I have a business background, that required budgets and P&L statements.

Not negative at all just facing the hard truth. This is not fantasy football where ther is not salary cap.

It is the nfl and Pat since mikey blew hundreds of millions of turds and one year rental the last decade, now has a budget for John. we carry over from last year 11.5 mil which I'd guess was the limit of his budget, or it would have been spent.

As far as the ride is concerned I'm enjoying Manning and his success, just not acting like an irresponsible 5 year old telling mommy I want I want everything I see in the FA store.

Frankly I do not see loads of money to spend there.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #34
Bacchus

I disagree with trying ot sign Amedola or Welker. Draft a fast WR that is perfect for the slot. You can find him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Denver does not need to spend $10 million on a lsot WR. They need to be able to resign Clady, Miller, Woodyard, Harris when their contracts are due. Cheap FAs and draft well. Don't splurge on Welker.... Denver doesn't need him.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #35
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Good because Clady is going to get what close to 10 mil a yr?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #36
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
hes retarded just skip over his posts
Should let this go but who is the troll here.
I see you so far in this thread have nothing substantial to say.

Just because I called you a few times on your posts you seem to have to troll each of mine.

I see that as immaturity.

Either add something intelligent to the conversation or shut the heck up. Stop stalking my posts without rebutting them.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #37
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
so bowlen is still broke?
I doubt he is or ever was broke.

He just wants to see return on his buck.

Something that he has not seen since 2000 or so in the FA market. I'll bet if you go back and add up all the dead money in the cap area it will be near a hundred mil. Over the last decade.

If you were Pat would you liked seeing that flushed down the toilet each year.
As a business man he has told Josh and now John they does not have the free hand in spending that previous VPs did
Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #38
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I heard Tsyon Jackson will be a FA.... maybe not true, but he's already gotten paid, and grossly underperformed. I think he's better suited for 4-3, and could come in fairly cheap.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #39
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Then again, I'd like to see us go after a #3 WR or a MLB as our top priority.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #40
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I disagree with trying ot sign Amedola or Welker. Draft a fast WR that is perfect for the slot. You can find him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Denver does not need to spend $10 million on a lsot WR. They need to be able to resign Clady, Miller, Woodyard, Harris when their contracts are due. Cheap FAs and draft well. Don't splurge on Welker.... Denver doesn't need him.

I dont think Amendola will cost $10 mil a year, but he would be a perfect slot guy. Much cheaper version of Welker, and younger.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #41
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
That 18 million will also go up. Expect restructured deals and releases of at least a few guys. And with Elway's way of building the team, I'd wager we get through free agency, the draft and re-sign a few of our guys and have at least 5 million in cap space
Yes probably will but we may be eating some dead money space also. If they cut DJ IIRC he would cost us about 1.7 mil. If they keep him it is 7.7.

So a bit here and there adds up.

Also remember Clady is not one of those 35 I stated in the post. If anything if they resigne him that will pretty much blow the cushion when coupled with rookie salaries.

All I'm saying is the 18 mil plus a few here and there is not all that much considering we have a roster to,fill and currently that stands at 18 more folks at minimum not counting all those on IR next year.

I'm just being realistic, hell I'd love all those guys also but where is the moey going to come from.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #42
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
No. That's prorated and doesn't count against it as one lump sum. There are some free agents, but none are terribly expensive. Hopefully we can use some money to upgrade. With the team the way it is, a lot of older free agents looking for a ring are going to be willing to come here on the cheap.

I used that number as it was used in another thread while I did not put a pen to just the rookies I did go look at each players total cap number and added costs such as bonus and incentives just from what I recall it would have been pretty close to that.
Go back and add up the cost of the just last years rookies I bet it is damned close.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #43
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Before this devolves into a fight, I have a serious question. Under the new CBA rules, don't we have to spend 98% of the cap?
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #44
yerner
Ring of Famer

elway doesn't know what he is doing
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #45
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

I just shake my head at posts that suggest we should spend every nickle of cap on one or two talented FAs. It is wrong on 2 counts.

(1) You never want to spend up all your cap or you have no flexibility to respond to injuries, under-performance, etc. as the year progresses. Think Koppen.

(2) You want to sign FAs into the team weaknesses - especially in positions key to your scheme - because you get a lot more for your money upgrading from bad to great rather than good to great. In the case of the Peyton signing, the step up was huge thereby justifying the dollars spent. In the case of our wides or slots the step up would be significantly less and therefore not make as much sense.

It is always a balancing act of FAs, the draft, player development, etc. to ensure (a) your team is good enough and has enough depth everywhere and (b) is great where it needs to be to win it all while (c) retaining some flexibility. NE is great at it and early returns suggest the new Bronco regime has great promise as well. It is organizations that do this well that are consistently in the SB mix.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #46
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #47
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
I used that number as it was used in another thread while I did not put a pen to just the rookies I did go look at each players total cap number and added costs such as bonus and incentives just from what I recall it would have been pretty close to that.
Go back and add up the cost of the just last years rookies I bet it is damned close.
Rookie contract money is dolled out to teams after the fact based on their drafts. That's the "rookie cap" they mention every year.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #48
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
He doesn't like the Broncos.
I fear you are full, of well Bacchus.

Just because I do not fawn over mikey, his regime what it did to my team like some, well does not diminish my love of the broncos.

I look at them from a business point of view not a fantasy football owners, or madden type.

I am realistic in what can and can not be done based on the numbers I have access to.

I'm not blindly looking at players out of our reach money wise just becaus ether are studs.

Depending on what John does cutting dead wood not sure what can be done with about 18 mil., with Clady needing to be resigned unless they feel they can do,without him then we may have some money to blow on what the kiddies want.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #49
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
I agree good post however this year IIRC all we HAVE TO WORRY about is Clady and Harris.

WW just signed a few year deal And unless we want to try and get a cheaper deal on Miller that is two years away.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #50
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Before this devolves into a fight, I have a serious question. Under the new CBA rules, don't we have to spend 98% of the cap?
Tougher team minimum spending rules go into effect in 2013. Not sure why people are crying about Bowlen not spending when it's required this coming year.