The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default Broncos $18 million under next year's cap

Carryover rules impact cap strategy

The Miami Dolphins have $35.8 million, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers $31.3 million, the Jacksonville Jaguars $22.1 million, the Buffalo Bills $20.6 million and the Tennessee Titans $19.4 million.

On the negative side, the New York Jets are $19.4 million over the cap. The Dallas Cowboys are $18.2 million over, the New Orleans Saints $14.7 million over and the Carolina Panthers $11.8 million over.

For chart and list of all teams cap numbers: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...t-cap-strategy
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Bacchus

Great news for Broncos, they need to stay away from expensive FA, draft wisely and start trying to re-sign their own players.

I imagine DJ, Mayes and Porter will be gone creating more cap space.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Bmore Manning

Where's Lonestar There's almost that $20 million that I mentioned in the draft forum.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
SlyEli

would love to see them use some money to sign Welker this offseason. The offense lacks quickness at the receiver position. Stokely has been solid but he'll be 37 next season. A Manning to welker connection would be tough to stop, hopefully he can be acquired for a decent price.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Great news for Broncos, they need to stay away from expensive FA, draft wisely and start trying to re-sign their own players.

Porter is a UFA, he's not being counted as it is.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Where's Lonestar There's almost that $20 million that I mentioned in the draft forum.
I'm here and frankly I stand by what I have said all along, there maybe lots of money under the cap but Pat has a budget.

Where do you think the $11,500,000.00 carry over come from?

Yep this years salary cap, that was not spent.

I have no reason to think Pat will allow John to go mikey on him and spend every dime.

I also beleive that as states before those three money hogs will be cut. Or restructured for a lot less
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

Yes. As well as drafting good, I like how our player development has come along. That plays such a huge part in this. Billycheat is one of the best at this. Drafting good players with higher potential is key but if you're not improving those players once they get to your team, they won't turn out to be much more then the great college players they were when drafted. I see alot of players on this team that have improved just over the 2 years Fox and Elway have been here. So player development is just as critical as drafting well.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

That is what I am loving about the Elway regime. He brings in solid free agents on short deals for low money to use as stop gaps while a drafted player develops. Aside from Peyton every deal is extremely manageable. Even in a win now situation, Elway is putting together a team that will be competitive for a long time even after Peyton is gone
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
would love to see them use some money to sign Welker this offseason. The offense lacks quickness at the receiver position. Stokely has been solid but he'll be 37 next season. A Manning to welker connection would be tough to stop, hopefully he can be acquired for a decent price.
Younger and just as good. And is also an UFA.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Porter is a UFA, he's not being counted as it is.
Iirc we only have some 35 players under contract for next year.

A lot of that money will be required to finish out the team. As well as again IIRC about 7 million will be needed on rookie contracts both for the coming year as well as the prorated portion of any signing bonuses.

So that whooping 18 mil will,soon be gone.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post

A lot of that money will be required to finish out the team. As well as again IIRC about 7 million will be needed on rookie contracts both for the coming year as well as the prorated portion of any signing bonuses.

Why are you so consistently negative regarding the Broncos. Enjoy the ride dude.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Younger and just as good. And is also an UFA.
He will be franchise tagged, he is the only thing that offense has going for it.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
g6matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
Why are you so consistently negative regarding the Broncos. Enjoy the ride dude.
hes retarded just skip over his posts
Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

so bowlen is still broke?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

It's a great situation for us. We can be choosy on adding a starter or two in FA that will want to make a championship run w/ Peyton Manning. I don't think we need to blow out the 18 million but take care of our own, look for some guys on the cheap that will contribute at positions like WR, TE, OL and DT. I think that I would buy Glenn Dorsey and give him a chance to resurrect his career playing in a 4-3. That would be a prudent pickup IMO.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

That 18 million will also go up. Expect restructured deals and releases of at least a few guys. And with Elway's way of building the team, I'd wager we get through free agency, the draft and re-sign a few of our guys and have at least 5 million in cap space
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Neither Welker nor Amendola are signing with Denver to be the #3 WR behind Thomas and Decker when they can be a #1 or at worst #2 somewhere else.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
COWheatGrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Aside from Peyton every deal is extremely manageable.
All teams have committed a sizeable chunk of their cap space towards compensating the quarterback.

Critics rip the Peyton contract all the time, but Denver paid market value for a four-time MVP. That's the going rate. I think they got a heck of a deal, too. He's worth every penny they are paying him.

After Peyton at $18 million, Sam Bradford (15.595 million), Philip Rivers ($15.310 million) and Michael Vick ($13.9 million) are the No. 2-4 highest paid QBs in terms of 2012 cap hits.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #19
Bronco Yoda

Raiders 4.5mil in the hole already... bwahahaaaaa
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I would be cool with spending money on Vet Offensive players and using all our draft picks on Defensive players to build for "After Manning"
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

No. That's prorated and doesn't count against it as one lump sum. There are some free agents, but none are terribly expensive. Hopefully we can use some money to upgrade. With the team the way it is, a lot of older free agents looking for a ring are going to be willing to come here on the cheap.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I would be cool with spending money on Vet Offensive players and using all our draft picks on Defensive players to build for "After Manning"
Yep agree good idea
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #23
SlyEli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Neither Welker nor Amendola are signing with Denver to be the #3 WR behind Thomas and Decker when they can be a #1 or at worst #2 somewhere else.
I think welker would rather be a complimentary part of a Super Bowl caliber offense (like he has been the past few years) than a number one receiver on a lousy team. The bigger concern is whether the broncos could afford him when other teams are offering welker number one money. Especially with decker's contract up soon (this offseason?)

I believe Percy harvin is a free agent this offseason too, but he would be even more expensive. Maybe tavon Austin will be available at the end of the first round
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #24
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

I'd rather the money be spent elsewhere than a 3rd slot receiver. Most teams don't have high quality nickel backs and with a team's two best CB's usually lined up against Thomas and Decker I think even an average slot receiver could get big yards with Manning.

I think the productivity difference of a slot receiver getting little money (Broncos version of Anthony Gonzales/Austin Collie) vs. a star is low especially in a Manning/Brady offense. It's why I don't think the Patriots value Welker a lot and are willing to let him go because they feel they should use their money for bigger productivity gains per dollar at other positions. They have Brady - who will more than compensate for a slight reduction in quickness at the slot receiver position with good line calls and accurate throws. Put Welker vs Stokely with a quarterback like say Blaine Gabbert - and I doubt you see much difference in production - both would have terrible numbers. (Welker is making 9.7 M this year - Stokely 1M). Now I think the Patriots signed Welker to a big deal because of familiarity/prior service etc.. but I doubt they keep him.

I think the Broncos and Elway are thinking along these lines - why pay 8.7M more a year for maybe a couple more tds and 200 yards more receiving in the slot position instead of using that 5M to get a defensive lineman that reduces average yards per carry by say .5 (which may contribute to more wins)? I'm pulling these numbers out of my you know what because I don't want to look up salaries/productivity numbers - but I'm guessing they have some analysis along this front going on.

They probably have also done an analysis thinking about future salaries and potential production - hence the saving of 18 million.

Last edited by Binkythefrog; 01-08-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #25
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
Sorry but if Stokely is on the roster next season, we have hit our "white man" quoto on wide receivers. We would need to balance it out but damn if there is a couple of honkies in the backfield and one as a safety. Sorry, no room for him.
On a serious note, Welker is a complete stud that isn't afraid to go down the middle and not use aligator arms.

BTW, $20 million under the cap? Cheap owner! Signed, SoCal Bronco

How come Shanny couldnt do this job in 2012 with the same type of budget?

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 01-08-2013 at 12:58 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote