The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Ambitious Ravens now hungry for another shot at Broncos

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...hot-at-broncos

"Baltimore's Anquan Boldin said he's "really looking forward" to playing Denver again, and "was hoping" to see the Broncos one more time before this season was over. So as he gets his wish, there's something I'd like to ask.

Denver? Really? You must be kidding.

Baltimore doesn't have a chance against these guys. OK, so it has a chance ... but not much of one. Denver not only destroyed the Ravens three weeks ago, it did it in Baltimore where the Ravens lose about as often as it snows in San Francisco. Only this game's in Denver, where Denver hasn't lost since September ... and this game is against an opponent that hasn't lost, period, in over three months.

So why in the world would Boldin -- or anyone, for that matter -- want to see Peyton Manning, Von Miller, Champ Bailey ... you name it ... at 5,000 feet when you just got torched by them?

"Just because we lost to them," said Boldin.

Common sense tells you the Ravens' playoff run ends next Saturday in Denver, even though they looked better -- much better -- in Sunday's 24-9 hammering of Indianapolis than they did last month against the Broncos. It's not just that it's Manning and an 11-game winning streak the Ravens must confront; it's that altitude and one of the greatest -- no, THE most formidable -- home-field advantage in the NFL, and, yes, that includes Seattle.

"I don't know how to tell you to defeat that altitude," said safety Bernard Pollard, "but it's going to take time to get used to. We got to be smart and understand it's a problem. So we got to attack it. If that means jogging when we get there, then we have to do it. We've got to be pros."

They've got to be something, anything they weren't when the two met on Dec. 16. Denver won that game easily, 34-17, but it was only 10-0 at the close of the first half when Joe Flacco threw a pass that Chris Harris turned into a 98-yard interception return for a game-clinching TD. Baltimore never recovered, and, yes, the Ravens can tell themselves they were in that game until Flacco's flub. But the reality is: They never really were.

"We were still losing," said Pollard.

Precisely. So how do they change that against the conference's No. 1 seed? Well, first of all, the Ravens were missing their top three tacklers for that contest -- including Pollard and linebacker Dannell Ellerbee. Both were back Sunday, though Ellerbee suffered an ankle injury that sidelined him in the fourth quarter. No problem, he told reporters, he'll play next weekend.

Linebacker Ray Lewis was back, too, and maybe you heard of the guy. He didn't play in that first loss to Denver, either, but he felt so good in his last home game Sunday that, midway through the contest he told trainers he wanted to take off his elbow brace.

"Everything I've done since I've been hurt," said Lewis, "has been to be back with my team, to be back clicking on all cylinders; not to come back and have to go in and come back out. I've never played my career like that, so I was totally ahead of the game."

So Lewis dropped a sure interception and didn't always click on all cylinders. He led the team in tackles, had one for a loss and inspired the Ravens to one of their best victories of the season -- with the Ravens keeping the Colts out of the end zone for the second straight playoff game here.

"We're poised to do something," said Lewis.

OK, I get that. But what? Baltimore's next game isn't about shutting down a rookie quarterback or stuffing an overachieving opponent. This is Peyton Manning and the most complete team in football. So tell me how Baltimore makes the corrections to avoid deją vu all over again.

"We've got to be sound," Pollard said. "We've got the 'MacBook' (Manning) that's going to be under center. That dude's a friggin' computer. I mean, he's one of the best in the game, so we have to get in his face all the time.

"All you can try to do is contain him. You're not going to stop him. The guy is a machine. I've always called him a machine. The guy studies, he understands and he's able to process things. I just think for us ... as a team ... we have to continue to get in his face and disrupt things.

"We made some mistakes (Sunday), and the quarterback was able to scramble a little bit and make some plays. We cannot make those mistakes this week with No. 18."

And maybe they won't. I mean, if you're only as good as your last game, Baltimore's in good shape. Flacco produced his second-best passer rating of the season (125.6) and averaged a staggering 23.5 yards per completion. The defense forced two Andrew Luck turnovers and wasn't hurt by anyone but Adam Vinatieri. Boldin ripped off 145 yards in catches, including one for a touchdown, after going the first half without a reception. Then, of course, there are those defenders who were missing last month.

Still ...

"I would rather go through Denver, and that's what we got," said defensive end Pernell McPhee. "We got what we wanted because we know when we played them that's not how we play."

But that last game, when they brought down the hammer ...

"You can't necessarily say that," said McPhee. "Watch the first half of that game. We got in Peyton Manning's head. We hit him. We knocked him down. And we sacked him. Then in the second half they came out scoring, so it was kind of tough."

But if you can't beat them here ...

"But it's difficult to win in Baltimore," said McPhee, "and we've Ray Lewis. So it's difficult to beat us here ... but they did. So there's no reason we can't beat them down there."

I can think of a couple. But don't tell that to McPhee or Boldin because they don't want to hear it. They're convinced the result will be different this time, even though the stakes are higher, and Boldin can tell you why.

"We'll make it different," he said.

Red more at: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...hot-at-broncos
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I'm glad they are looking forward to running into a buzz saw....again.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Agamemnon

I'd love for a player to just come out and say it: "We can beat them if we play well, they have a bad game, and we get some key turnovers." Seriously that's the only way they win next week. And that is possible. But only a complete idiot thinks they can win if the Broncos play their best.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Keep talking while our lockeroom stays classy quiet....nothing like punkin a punk!!! Bring it Ratbirds.
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

This is a different game. I like a close game...relatively close anyway. Den 23 Balt 17
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I love when under matched teams/players have confidence. It makes beating them all that more enjoyable. I expect the Broncos to dispatch of the Ravens......again. If they lose its because of something the Broncos did or failed to execute. In other words if the Ravens win it won't be because they were the better team.

Bolden was embarrassed by Harris last time. I wouldn't expect him to say anything different. The result will be the same for him.

Last edited by theAPAOps5; 01-06-2013 at 07:05 PM..
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
This is a different game. I like a close game...relatively close anyway. Den 23 Balt 17
Doubt it. Unless the Broncos come out flat.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
troyjbath
Probably Drunk

Long time lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I'm sure Boldin wants another shot. He was shut down and completely taken out of the game 3 weeks ago.

The comments on that article are funny. Ravens fans actually think that Flacco played a good game today. I think Denver's DBs would've had 3 or 4 picks.
troyjbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

They also had Lewis healthy against the Chiefs earlier in the year and they bearly eeked out a win there with the Chiefs running the ball down their throats. Unless we **** the bed we should win this game.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Boldin in Game 1 against Denver:
0 receptions, 0 yards, 0 touchdowns, -15 yards for giving up a personal foul

Looking forward to it! HAHA!
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Having 3 of their better players back will help them, but traveling to Denver, and going up against a defense playing as well as the Broncos have been playing.....I think it remains close until Flacco makes the inevitable critical mistake and Manning makes them pay, again.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

If we lose, its because we are careless. We're a better team then they are.

Gotta take care of business.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
spiralism

Don't like this at all. They've about 5 players coming back and are pissed. They're the form team in a way, they won this week while we sat on our asses.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
Don't like this at all. They've about 5 players coming back and are pissed. They're the form team in a way, they won this week while we sat on our asses.
I always love the "they are angry" argument. C'mon, once you step between the lines, all that talk and **** goes away. We won a pretty emotional game last year against Pitt while NE sat on their asses. Then we traveled there and got the ever loving **** beat out of us because they were the much better team.

This year, we're the much better team. They can be as pissed off as they want, who cares? If we do our thing, they won't be able to stop us. If we dont fumble and play careless, we'll roll them.

Its funny that during the regular season, everyone loves the bye for the rest and the extra week to prepare, and then in the playoffs some people get scared of it. You're just being a worried fan. Think of it this way, I bet you think Houston barely has a shot against NE. Its the same exact sitch.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I laugh hearing players say lets get there a day early to acclimate ourselves to the altitude. Its a proven fact you can't do it in only a few days. All teams do by arriving early is wear themselves out more by game time. They would be better off landing 3 hours before the game and going straight to the stadium.

Last edited by cutthemdown; 01-06-2013 at 07:34 PM..
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:
Did you SEE the whole game?

I did, and Flacco looked HORRIBLE aside from the TWO high arc bombs he threw to Boldin! There were SO many lame little "make the QB comfortable" plays, I started cheering for the Ravens ... I'd love to see Flacco's stats on passes over 10yards down field!
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
troyjbath
Probably Drunk

Long time lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
The Broncos held workouts this weekend. So while we (you and I) were sitting on our asses...they were working.
troyjbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #18
spiralism

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I always love the "they are angry" argument. C'mon, once you step between the lines, all that talk and **** goes away. We won a pretty emotional game last year against Pitt while NE sat on their asses. Then we traveled there and got the ever loving **** beat out of us because they were the much better team.

This year, we're the much better team. They can be as pissed off as they want, who cares? If we do our thing, they won't be able to stop us. If we dont fumble and play careless, we'll roll them.

Its funny that during the regular season, everyone loves the bye for the rest and the extra week to prepare, and then in the playoffs some people get scared of it. You're just being a worried fan. Think of it this way, I bet you think Houston barely has a shot against NE. Its the same exact sitch.
In fairness though, the Pats last year were a superbowl team and we were lucky bastards to go 8-8, the cliff between the two sides was too severe. Baltimore are far closer to us than many think
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
In fairness though, the Pats last year were a superbowl team and we were lucky bastards to go 8-8, the cliff between the two sides was too severe. Baltimore are far closer to us than many think
No, they really aren't actually. Statistically speaking they are perhaps above average, but not really in our class. They wont push us around. AGain, if we lose, its on us. Yes, any of the 32 NFL teams can beat anyone on any given sunday, but id love to hear your reasoning for why they'll beat us other than "uh ohhhsss theyz angry"

Who knows what will happen, but i dont think this is some horrible trap we're walking into.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
Did you SEE the whole game?

I did, and Flacco looked HORRIBLE aside from the TWO high arc bombs he threw to Boldin! There were SO many lame little "make the QB comfortable" plays, I started cheering for the Ravens ... I'd love to see Flacco's stats on passes over 10yards down field!
When he dumps those screens to Rice we have to put Rice down fast. We can't let Flacco get lucky with big plays on the short passes to rice out of the backfield.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think they can win if they do a little jogging once they get here.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

, they are going to get their asses kicked.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #23
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyjbath View Post
I'm sure Boldin wants another shot. He was shut down and completely taken out of the game 3 weeks ago.

The comments on that article are funny. Ravens fans actually think that Flacco played a good game today. I think Denver's DBs would've had 3 or 4 picks.
Stats > reality for many people.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #24
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I think they can win if they do a little jogging once they get here.
Hell, I think they should run a few miles.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #25
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Manning is having a great season. Baltimore gets some guys back but they are still either old or inexperienced. Manning since his Colts days have owned the Ravens. This weekend won't be any different. The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is the snow. If it snows, Rice could be the x-factor. Can we keep pace?
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote