The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default Does Vikings loss prove Peterson not MVP?

Everyone said that Peterson carried the team to the playoffs and their QB (Ponder) stinks, yet, when Ponder does not play Peterson pretty much stuffed and Vikings get crushed.

It is proven once again the QB is the most important person on every team.

Peterson gets comeback player of the year and Manning gets MVP.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2417866.html

Adrian Peterson Shut Down As Vikings Fall 24-10 To Packers
By DAVE CAMPBELL 01/05/13 11:42 PM ET EST

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson is taken down by Green Bay Packers strong safety Charles Woodson (21) and cornerback Sam Shields.

GREEN BAY, Wis. Adrian Peterson was shut down and Christian Ponder sidelined.

That left the Minnesota Vikings short-handed, overmatched and barely able to do much of anything against the Green Bay Packers.
Peterson was held to 99 yards, after gaining 199 and 210 in the first two games against Green Bay, and Joe Webb struggled in place of Ponder as the Packers rolled to a 24-10 victory over the Vikings in an NFC wild-card game Saturday night.

Ponder was inactive because of a right elbow injury, suffered when the teams played each other last Sunday. His participation in practice this week was limited and Webb took many of the turns with the first-team offense. But Webb, who hadn't thrown a pass all season, was sacked three times and off target all night. His only highlight was a 50-yard scoring pass to Michael Jenkins late in the fourth quarter, but it was far too late for the Vikings (10-7).

Last edited by Bacchus; 01-06-2013 at 03:55 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
COWheatGrower

The vote has already been cast so it won't matter.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
fwf

I was thinking the same thing and if we were being honest a Qb should win the award every year, but in the spirt of what the award has become, I think AD should still win it.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

As long as we hoist the Lombardi I could give 2 ****s who the MVP is.
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
El Jefe

He still rushed for 100 yards with a QB WORSE than Ponder. I know everyone here is a Manning fan, but AD had one of the top two rushing seasons ever on a completely reconstructed knee.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Joe Webb is ****ing awful.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
MillerMayhem58

This whole AD MVP is an ESPN driven joke. He shouldn't even be up for COMEBACK POY because he was never really out. He's had a great season but not an MVP season. MVP is for somebody who played lights out and lifted his team to its highest level.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Victor
The Dude Abides

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Is your your contention that the MVP's team should never lose? I'd like to see the player that good. It's still an 11 vs. 11 player game.

To answer your question I'd say no...a Vikings loss does not mean that Petersron doesn't deserve the MVP.
Victor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
BroncoFox
Unofficial Cheer******

If I have fleas.. they are happy.

I guess it depends on what you consider MVP really. To me, it's the person who is most valuable. That is, who brings the most value to their team. AP brings lots of value to their teams offense. Peyton Manning brings value to the offense just as much so or more so than AP, but also to special teams AND defense. So he is more valuable imo. So.. MVP.

I think he should get comeback player as well. Knee surgery? Happens all the time. Yes, AP did great after a knee surgery, but Peyton had NECK surgery. How many players have you heard about receiving multiple neck surgeries and then playing in the NFL again? When I first heard the news when he was still in Indy, I felt bad for him - I figured his career was completely over. I knew AP would be back at some point. I didn't think Manning would ever be back.
BroncoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerMayhem58 View Post
This whole AD MVP is an ESPN driven joke. He shouldn't even be up for COMEBACK POY because he was never really out. He's had a great season but not an MVP season. MVP is for somebody who played lights out and lifted his team to its highest level.
Have to disagree. He should definitely be Comeback POY. He was out and cameback much quicker than most any other player with that injury. Being a RB that injury affects him much more than other positions with it and then to put up over 2000 yds in the next season he at least should get that award. I'm biased and I know it as far as MVP but AD should get one or the other. He was the MVP for his team.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

this game should have no effect on an award based on the regular season. Also, AP still got 99 yards on just 22 carries. It's not like the vikes fed him the ball 35 times.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

He was a beast no doubt. It's just hard to deny guys like Manning, Rodgers and Brady. QB is the hardest position to play which is why you gotta go with Manning.
maher_tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Gaining 99 yards against 11 men in the box is still pretty impressive. The Pack didn't even consider that Webb could hurt them through the air.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
MillerMayhem58

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Have to disagree. He should definitely be Comeback POY. He was out and cameback much quicker than most any other player with that injury. Being a RB that injury affects him much more than other positions with it and then to put up over 2000 yds in the next season he at least should get that award. I'm biased and I know it as far as MVP but AD should get one or the other. He was the MVP for his team.
Tell me a player that CAMEBACK from what PFM came back from....
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

I wouldn't call 24 carries for 99 yards as being "shut down". Maybe relative to his previous efforts against the Packers and his 2012 season averages, but for most RBs that's a damn good day against 7 man fronts. Peterson put up those numbers against massively stacked boxes all damn day while Joe Webb made dookie on the field.

However, I also don't think he's an argument for comeback player of the year. He played 12 games last season. Manning played zero. Peterson had a serious injury, but it's one a dozen players or more come back from every year. Manning's was an unprecedented injury with serious career risk, at an age when most guys are already hanging it up anyhow. To me comeback player isn't even a tough choice at all.

Back to MVP though, I personally want to see Peterson win it. Manning had an excellent season but the Broncos were an 8-8 team with Tebow at QB, a less developed Thomas, Decker, etc., worse OL play, and a far worse defense last year. Manning took this team from "solid and getting better" to "elite". Peterson's season this year took the Vikings from a 3-13 team to a 10-6 team. That would be insane improvement for a QB, it's even more impressive coming from a running back.

Manning had a damn good season, one of his personal best. Peterson had what might have been the best running back season of all time (32 less carries than Dickerson with 9 yards less rushing, 6.0 YPC, most yards after contact ever, ran against 8 and 9 man boxes all season long). If you don't give it to Peterson you might as well just admit that it's a QB only award from here on out, because no one is putting up a better argument for the award than Peterson did this year. Meanwhile Manning and Brady are working in a passing inflated league while Peterson is facing exactly the opposite.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

^This
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Idiot, Peterson did lift his team to its highest level. You think they come close to making the playoffs without Peterson? Hell no. Denver still makes the playoffs without Manning, hell we may have gotten a first round bye even.

Vikings would have been lucky to win 3 games without Peterson.

MVP.

You stupid ****ing homers are tiresome.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
who is AD?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #19
OrangeSe7en

I actually think Peterson is the MVP and, if anything, last night makes a stronger case for him. In spite of having an awful QB stepping in without throwing a pass all season in a playoff game when the intensity is ratched up, Peterson still had 99 yards on 22 carries, which is over 4 yards per carry. And there was no guarantee the Vikings would win anyway. It's not like Ponder is great and the Vikings are a dome team playing in 20 degree weather against a superior team. The Packers are a superior team.

If the Vikings don't have Peterson, they probably win 2 games. The Broncos made the playoffs last year. Yeah they were 8-8 but Tebow went 7-4 as the starter. Manning is an obvious step up from Tebow but the incremental improvement from a 7-4 team to a 13-3 team isn't going to be as severe as it is with the Vikings without Peterson.

But as a Broncos fan, Im not going to complain if Manning gets it. I kind of expect Manning to get based on how the media views the position of QB in comparison to RB. QBs get awards by default these days. But I really think Peterson deserves it.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I wouldn't call 24 carries for 99 yards as being "shut down". Maybe relative to his previous efforts against the Packers and his 2012 season averages, but for most RBs that's a damn good day against 7 man fronts. Peterson put up those numbers against massively stacked boxes all damn day while Joe Webb made dookie on the field.

However, I also don't think he's an argument for comeback player of the year. He played 12 games last season. Manning played zero. Peterson had a serious injury, but it's one a dozen players or more come back from every year. Manning's was an unprecedented injury with serious career risk, at an age when most guys are already hanging it up anyhow. To me comeback player isn't even a tough choice at all.

Back to MVP though, I personally want to see Peterson win it. Manning had an excellent season but the Broncos were an 8-8 team with Tebow at QB, a less developed Thomas, Decker, etc., worse OL play, and a far worse defense last year. Manning took this team from "solid and getting better" to "elite". Peterson's season this year took the Vikings from a 3-13 team to a 10-6 team. That would be insane improvement for a QB, it's even more impressive coming from a running back.

Manning had a damn good season, one of his personal best. Peterson had what might have been the best running back season of all time (32 less carries than Dickerson with 9 yards less rushing, 6.0 YPC, most yards after contact ever, ran against 8 and 9 man boxes all season long). If you don't give it to Peterson you might as well just admit that it's a QB only award from here on out, because no one is putting up a better argument for the award than Peterson did this year. Meanwhile Manning and Brady are working in a passing inflated league while Peterson is facing exactly the opposite.
But normally guys miss a full season with the injury Peterson had. Not only does he come back but its with a season that might be better than Dickersons 1984. Peterson had 21 fewer carries.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #21
ChampJesusBailey
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
who is AD?
Adrian "All Day" Peterson
ChampJesusBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Gaining 99 yards against 11 men in the box is still pretty impressive. The Pack didn't even consider that Webb could hurt them through the air.
The Packers last week had 11 guys in the box to stop AD and The Vikings won because of their QB who threw for three TDs.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #23
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Super Bowl MVP.

THAT is the one you can't win if your team loses.

THAT is the one I want Peyton Manning getting. I think he feels the same.....
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
But normally guys miss a full season with the injury Peterson had. Not only does he come back but its with a season that might be better than Dickersons 1984. Peterson had 21 fewer carries.
And guys normally never play again with the injury Manning had, especially at his age.

So 12+ month rehab v. career over. Yeah, not that hard to pick the more impressive comeback.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
ChampJesusBailey
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have loved watching Manning play but I think AD has to get the MVP. Peyton has had a great season but look at the QB stats for this season. He is comparable to Rodgers, Ryan, Brady, and maybe Brees. The only QB stat he leads in (AFAIK, could be wrong) is completion percentage.

It's a QB driven league we're in now. How many times have we heard that dominant RB's are a thing of the past, that it's a passing league and defenders are too big and the punishment too brutal? Yet Peterson has done it and done it on a team with no threat of passing whatsoever, and done so in dominant fashion. Over 2,000 yards, 6 yards per carry, almost 30 carries of 20+ yards. Ridiculous.

Next season Manning will have another ridiculous season and so will 5-6 other quarterbacks. A season like AD had is a rarity.
ChampJesusBailey is offline   Reply With Quote