The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #226
Bronco Yoda

How is Elway NOT the executive of the year? It's not even close IMO.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #227
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
The real test for Elway and the rest of the front office will come when Manning retires, how they replace him, and how they mold the new team. Hopefully he's up to the task.
True dat. Getting Manning was a coup. But Elway is also biuld a team for the future as well with Picks of Osweiler, Hillman and Moore. I think Elway is building this team a lot like 49ers and Seattle with some Eagles element in there as well.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #228
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
And IMHO they would have been stupid to keep him. Marty just chocked in big games. As I said before I'm not sure he ever Won a playoff game. Regardless if John was on the then side.

As for Josh Pat bought into his scheme and those things that went with it.. The defense needed to be completely rebuilt with just doom, dj and champ as starters a wasn't doom hurt that year also. I might have my years mixed up but pretty sure he was.

Rumor had it it was Joes hire and Pat really liked it. Pat has always had loads of loyalty to his coaches and only because he had mikey in his back pocket did he pull the plug on Wade after two years. After all mikey waste guy he wanted instead of wade anyway.

I could be dead wrong, but Pat had never shown the propensity to can his coach..
It was stupider (or should that be "more stupid" for grammatical correctness?) to fire Marty and hire Norv... to date, they've never returned to 14-2 and were hovering in the 7-9 win range 4 of Norv's six seasons. They only went deeper in the playoffs (than the Divisional game that was Marty's last as their HC) one time and still fell short of a SB appearance; much less a win.

As for Marty's teams ever winning any playoff games... seeing as how it was in the AFCCG that John sent Marty's Browns home in January of '87 and '88, well... you don't get to play in the AFCCG without winning in the Divisional round of the playoffs, right? Anyway, I count 5 playoff wins for Marty's teams, including the most recent playoff game the Chefs ever won on January 16, 1993.
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/SchoMa0.htm

I don't care how much an owner has bought into a very young, unproven HC's scheme... he has to rethink things and begin to suspect that said unproven HC might not be the answer after all... if the team slides to its lowest win total since 1971 (1982 wasn't a full season). After the 6-game winning streak to start the '09 season, something bad must have happened during the bye... 'cause the team proceeded to go on 4 separate 4-game losing streaks in the remainder of his tenure. I don't care how you spin it, Lonestar... 28 games coached... with a win/loss total of 9 - 17 (subtracting Studesville's 1-3 record) does not earn another season in which to continue down what had obviously become a downhill spiral. The only responsible thing Bowlen could do at that point was to take the team out of free-fall and try to salvage as much as he could while there was still something left to save. You can't realistically think there was any chance that Bowlen would have decided vying for "worst team in the league rather than merely the runner-up" and #1 overall in the 2012 draft was a viable option. Even if it would have netted us Luck.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #229
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
True dat. Getting Manning was a coup. But Elway is also biuld a team for the future as well with Picks of Osweiler, Hillman and Moore. I think Elway is building this team a lot like 49ers and Seattle with some Eagles element in there as well.
I just want Elway's the GM's legacy to be more than bringing in Manning. He's done a lot to re-engage the fanbase, but I would really like to see him continue to excel in the years beyond.

If things dont' work out down the road, the short sided people will attribute all of his success to Manning, disrgarding the other excellent work he's done in putting this team around Peyton.

I just don't want to see all the threads and posts that Elway only succeeded with Manning, similari to the bone heads that try to discredit Shanahan because he had Elway as his QB.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #230
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

How is this still a thread? Elway told McD lovers to **** off so end this.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #231
Bacchus

Quote:
I'm saying you shouldn't neg rep. Neg rep is there for a reason just like giving positive rep. Just have the balls to be forthright about it. You want to know why Req gave me a net rep. I called him "king of trolls". Of which I don't care. What I care about is he didn't call me out here. If you really think you're not the king of trolls defend yourself here.
Jesus dude, what did the neg rep take away your manhoodhood or something?!?! Wow, I got lots of neg reps and I embrace them!!! p***Y.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #232
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Great minds think alike.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109170

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #233
OrangeSe7en

One could argue that the organization built around Elway, when trying to win the fanbase back. And then, he, in turn, did the same thing with Champ.

Although, I suddenly remember that Bowlen did an interview where he wasn't that big on firing McDaniels. Then, the next thing you know, they fired him. It almost seemed like Ellis might have been more behind firing McDaniels. Does anyone have a clearer memory of this?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #234
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #235
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
I just want Elway's the GM's legacy to be more than bringing in Manning. He's done a lot to re-engage the fanbase, but I would really like to see him continue to excel in the years beyond.

If things dont' work out down the road, the short sided people will attribute all of his success to Manning, disrgarding the other excellent work he's done in putting this team around Peyton.

I just don't want to see all the threads and posts that Elway only succeeded with Manning, similari to the bone heads that try to discredit Shanahan because he had Elway as his QB.
Yeah, you could tell he was really behind drafting Miller (not that others werent). The way he described the tape of Miller made it obvious that he was big on Miller. Dareus is a nice player, but I think Miller makes a bigger impact in today's NFL. Miller is the more dynamic player, which is what Elway was describing when watching his tape. You should get a great player at #2, but it's been screwed up many times by many with more experience.

But I think Broderick Bunkley is, perhaps, the greatest example of how adeptly Elway has handled himself. He brings in Bunkley. At the time, a lot of people thought he was just another big body. But then Bunkley made Elway look good by doing really well. In that situations, GMs typically fall in love with the guy because they feel like that player validated how smart they are. A lot of GMs would then throw a lot of money at that player. Did Elway? No. He let Bunkley walk. Have the Broncos missed Bunkley? He's a nice player but the team has done fine without him. It would have been so easy for Elway to throw a bunch of money at Bunkley--it happens to a lot of GMs. But he avoided this trap.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #236
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Yeah, you could tell he was really behind drafting Miller (not that others werent). The way he described the tape of Miller made it obvious that he was big on Miller. Dareus is a nice player, but I think Miller makes a bigger impact in today's NFL. Miller is the more dynamic player, which is what Elway was describing when watching his tape. You should get a great player at #2, but it's been screwed up many times by many with more experience.

But I think Broderick Bunkley is, perhaps, the greatest example of how adeptly Elway has handled himself. He brings in Bunkley. At the time, a lot of people thought he was just another big body. But then Bunkley made Elway look good by doing really well. In that situations, GMs typically fall in love with the guy because they feel like that player validated how smart they are. A lot of GMs would then throw a lot of money at that player. Did Elway? No. He let Bunkley walk. Have the Broncos missed Bunkley? He's a nice player but the team has done fine without him. It would have been so easy for Elway to throw a bunch of money at Bunkley--it happens to a lot of GMs. But he avoided this trap.
Excellent point about Bunkley. It was a win-win for both the Broncos and Bunkley. Bunkley played above expectations and helped the Broncos get to the post season and win a playoff game, and in turn Bunkley hit the FA market looking good for another big contract. He got mo-money from the Saints, so be it. Elway was willing to let Bunkley walk knowing he was replaceable.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #237
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:

Whoever uploaded that should be canonized.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #238
Bacchus

Quote:
That is greatness.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #239
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Whoever uploaded that should be canonized.

I love that video. I think for a while TJ had it at the top of the discussion page. I've played that video 10-20 times and I still .
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #240
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
It was stupider (or should that be "more stupid" for grammatical correctness?) to fire Marty and hire Norv... to date, they've never returned to 14-2 and were hovering in the 7-9 win range 4 of Norv's six seasons. They only went deeper in the playoffs (than the Divisional game that was Marty's last as their HC) one time and still fell short of a SB appearance; much less a win.

As for Marty's teams ever winning any playoff games... seeing as how it was in the AFCCG that John sent Marty's Browns home in January of '87 and '88, well... you don't get to play in the AFCCG without winning in the Divisional round of the playoffs, right? Anyway, I count 5 playoff wins for Marty's teams, including the most recent playoff game the Chefs ever won on January 16, 1993.

I don't care how much an owner has bought into a very young, unproven HC's scheme... he has to rethink things and begin to suspect that said unproven HC might not be the answer after all... if the team slides to its lowest win total since 1971 (1982 wasn't a full season). After the 6-game winning streak to start the '09 season, something bad must have happened during the bye... 'cause the team proceeded to go on 4 separate 4-game losing streaks in the remainder of his tenure. I don't care how you spin it, Lonestar... 28 games coached... with a win/loss total of 9 - 17 (subtracting Studesville's 1-3 record) does not earn another season in which to continue down what had obviously become a downhill spiral. The only responsible thing Bowlen could do at that point was to take the team out of free-fall and try to salvage as much as he could while there was still something left to save. You can't realistically think there was any chance that Bowlen would have decided vying for "worst team in the league rather than merely the runner-up" and #1 overall in the 2012 draft was a viable option. Even if it would have netted us Luck.
While I understand your point.

Pat also has to look at the talent the Josh. Has brought in and wither believes that talent will come around soon or not. And if he brings in another HC will he start over also.

Pat has seen enough if the CLE, STL, OAK and CIN debacles to know sometimes you just have to stick with the guy you liked. Itnisnnot like he did not have the pick of the litter when he chose Josh.

IMO had it not been for the spy gate I think he would have gotten another year. At worst he would have hired a qualified GM and maybe even John to bring the fans back knowing there was a star holding the team together.

Perhaps had John said he had to go then maybe Pat/John would have pulled the plug.
No one really knows why pat choose like he did.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #241
OrangeSe7en

Quote:

Pat also has to look at the talent the Josh. Has brought in and wither believes that talent will come around soon or not. And if he brings in another HC will he start over also.

Pat has seen enough if the CLE, STL, OAK and CIN debacles to know sometimes you just have to stick with the guy you liked. Itnisnnot like he did not have the pick of the litter when he chose Josh.

IMO had it not been for the spy gate I think he would have gotten another year. At worst he would have hired a qualified GM and maybe even John to bring the fans back knowing there was a star holding the team together.

Perhaps had John said he had to go then maybe Pat/John would have pulled the plug.
What's sad is that the Broncos were 4-12, and someone thinks it took spygate to do Josh in. What's even more sad, is that this might actually be right.

Anyway, there's no way in hell Elway was going to endorse McDaniels.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #242
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post

I don't care how much an owner has bought into a very young, unproven HC's scheme... he has to rethink things and beginin to suspect that said unproven HC might not be the answer after all... if the team slides to its lowest win total since 1971 (1982 wasn't a full season). After the 6-game winning streak to start the '09 season, something bad must have happened during the bye... 'cause the team proceeded to go on 4 separate 4-game losing streaks in the remainder of his tenure. I don't care how you spin it, Lonestar... 28 games coached... with a win/loss total of 9 - 17 (subtracting Studesville's 1-3 record) does not earn another season in which to continue down what had obviously become a downhill spiral. The only responsible thing Bowlen could do at that point was to take the team out of free-fall and try to salvage as much as he could while there was still something left to save. You can't realistically think there was any chance that Bowlen would have decided vying for "worst team in the league rather than merely the runner-up" and #1 overall in the 2012 draft was a viable option. Even if it would have netted us Luck.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #243
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
What's sad is that the Broncos were 4-12, and someone thinks it took spygate to do Josh in. What's even more sad, is that this might actually be right.

Anyway, there's no way in hell Elway was going to endorse McDaniels.
You know this because you have talked to John?

You have no idea what he what do if Josh knew he was in total charge of anything but game day prep and game say calls. Do you?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #244
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
You know this because you have talked to John?
Wow, you're not much of a thinker.

Elway has already said that he would have never traded Cutler. Not only that but the coache he hired to replace Joshy was the total opposite of Joshy. And then there's the matter of his comments in the article posted in the OP.

Quote:
You have no idea what he what do if Josh knew he was in total charge of anything but game day prep and game say calls. Do you?
No, I'm quite confident that I do have some idea.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #245
CEH
Ring of Famer

If you don't think Elway had Bowlen's ear before he was even hired you weren't paying attention

Elway hates everything McD

I sure Elway told Bowlen to fire the prick before the season ended. They had a handshake agreement for a while before Elway actually took over

It's pretty much common knowledge here around town
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #246
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Wow, you're not much of a thinker.

Elway has already said that he would have never traded Cutler. Not only that but the coache he hired to replace Joshy was the total opposite of Joshy. And then there's the matter of his comments in the article posted in the OP.

No, I'm quite confident that I do have some idea.
Joshy that the best you got.

What the comment was about cutlet was at best would have been just a part of the decision making process.

John is smart enough to know that changing coaching anD schemes. Like underwear causes just that more confusion and time to get there. (Promised land). Any way it is academic. John never had the chance to make the decision.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #247
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Joshy that the best you got.

What the comment was about cutlet was at best would have been just a part of the decision making process.

John is smart enough to know that changing coaching anD schemes. Like underwear causes just that more confusion and time to get there. (Promised land). Any way it is academic. John never had the chance to make the decision.
Weak. Wow, that was unbelievably lame. Most of that made no sense.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #248
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
If you don't think Elway had Bowlen's ear before he was even hired you weren't paying attention

Elway hates everything McD

I sure Elway told Bowlen to fire the prick before the season ended. They had a handshake agreement for a while before Elway actually took over

It's pretty much common knowledge here around town
Since I do not live in town hard for me to know that.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #249
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Someone has a mouth full of McDaniels. Gurgle, gurgle, daft doodle.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #250
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Since I do not live in town hard for me to know that.
You don't need to live here. Just be informed like the fact Bowlen and Elway had dinner together at Elways' the day McD was fired. There were clues the whole month of Dec 2010
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote