The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Why Peyton Manning Should Run Away With NFL MVP Award

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...p-award/20626/

It would be very easy to just list a ton of statistics from Manningís season, as he looks to win a fifth MVP award. Manning rewrote the Denver record books for passing in his first season. He had a lot of numbers that were among the best heís ever had in a career full of elite seasons. We will point out a few of them, but first letís focus on the main argument for Manning as MVP.

Most value-added impact. No player had a bigger impact on his team, and while part of that is the value of the quarterback position, the fact is no quarterback changes the culture of an entire team more than Manning. He leaves an imprint on his teamís performances, demanding consistent perfection.

Manning essentially changed the Denver Broncos into the Denver Colts, and the transformation was completed quicker than anyone expected.

Manning won at least 13 games in a season under a fourth head coach (John Fox) in his career. No other quarterback in NFL history has won more than 13 games with more than two coaches.

Denver scored 481 points (second most in the league). Demaryius Thomas (1,434 yards, 10 TD) and Eric Decker (1,064 yards, 13 TD) have stats that look like Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne circa 2004-2006. Denver went from 30th in third-down conversions last year to No. 3 this season.

This all comes a year after the Broncos struggled to an 8-8 record and played a prehistoric style of offense with Tim Tebow. Denver went from the most run-heavy offense in football to a high-volume, high-efficiency passing attack that Manning has mastered for years

At times, he looks as good as ever, just months after some questioned if he could ever play again.

Last season the Broncos were blown out badly by several opponents. This season they fell behind by 20+ points four times early in the season, but still made a game of it behind Manning, who made them believe they could win these games. They even did pull off a 24-point comeback in San Diego on the night Manning broke the record for fourth-quarter comebacks.

Denverís 3-1 record at fourth-quarter comeback opportunities was the best percentage in the league this season. Manning has not trailed in the fourth quarter in the last eight games.

The end result this regular season is a 13-3 record, the Super Bowl favorite, and an 11-game winning streak. That is quite the improvement after a year in which Denver won the AFC West on a three team tiebreaker, and had the worst scoring differential (-81) for an 8-8 team in NFL history.

This season Denver outscored opponents by 192 points, which is the third biggest improvement in the 16-game era. It also matches the scoring differential for the 1998 Denver Broncos (best team in franchise history) and 2005 Indianapolis Colts (Manning again)...

Read more at: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...p-award/20626/
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Bacchus

holy god damn mother ****ing **** that is a good article!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Bmore Manning

This conveys much of what I have said all along.. I wonder if the voters will see it this way..
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I was going to post that also, just read it. Everyone keeps throwing out that the Broncos made the playoffs last year, but the Broncos were only 8-8, and hadn't won 11 in a row. He should win MVP and Petersen should win Comeback. It is remarkable that he got the rushing yardage he did after the injury he had.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

What I don't like are the people pushing Rodgers and Brady for MVP. It may be a bit homerism, but I don't see how either of them did anything more amazing than what Manning did.
I really think Manning will win MVP, Peterson is the OPOY.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Patriot 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
What I don't like are the people pushing Rodgers and Brady for MVP. It may be a bit homerism, but I don't see how either of them did anything more amazing than what Manning did.
I really think Manning will win MVP, Peterson is the OPOY.
After last weekend, I can't see how Peterson doesn't get it. Manning, Brady and Rogers had their typical years. If an average QB was on the Broncos say Flacco you still win 10 games (hell you won 8 with Tebow and a worse D). If Steven Ridley is the Vikings RB they win 4 or 5 games. Honestly, if you look at what Rogers did with a injured riddled team and a mediocre D he IMO is the best QB in the NFL. Somewhere, losing to the 3 toughest opponents you faced has to hurt Manning.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot 37 View Post
After last weekend, I can't see how Peterson doesn't get it. Manning, Brady and Rogers had their typical years. If an average QB was on the Broncos say Flacco you still win 10 games (hell you won 8 with Tebow and a worse D). If Steven Ridley is the Vikings RB they win 4 or 5 games. Honestly, if you look at what Rogers did with a injured riddled team and a mediocre D he IMO is the best QB in the NFL. Somewhere, losing to the 3 toughest opponents you faced has to hurt Manning.
Funny how all Patriot fans want Peterson to get the award, anyone but Peyton. Your post means nothing of insight, you fans are pathetic. I saw that clown Rodney Harrison do the same thing on SNF, I bet if it were Brady and Peterson it would be Brady no doubt.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
I'm sorry I didn't realize Brady and Rogers were out the entire 2011 season. Only Peterson should be in the conversation. Brady plays a weak schedule every year and people are talking about the broncos schedule? How about your team didnt even beat ONE team with a winning record until the championship game.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
Its this **** right here that pisses me off.
Last year was a god damn ****ing fluke of a season for the Broncos. Freakin miracle wins, everybody knows that, it was fun, but a fluke.
Manning came here, in a new team with new players, and transformed this team to the #1 team in the AFC losing to 3 of the top teams in football, 2 on the road, by 6 points, 6 points and 10 points while completely dominating everybody else they played in a sense.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I'm not sure how many times i can say this, but this is beyond wrong.

Last year's Broncos 8-8 (which snuck into the playoffs because of the third tie breaker in an epically bad division) had a -81 point differential. The worst ever for an 8-8 team. This year's broncos? +191. There was basically ONE difference between last years team and this years?

Peyton Manning.

From a team that was lucky to be 8-8, to the super bowl front runner.

It's ABSURD if he doesnt get it.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I'm not sure how many times i can say this, but this is beyond wrong.

Last year's Broncos 8-8 (which snuck into the playoffs because of the third tie breaker in an epically bad division) had a -81 point differential. The worst ever for an 8-8 team. This year's broncos? +191. There was basically ONE difference between last years team and this years?

Peyton Manning.

From a team that was lucky to be 8-8, to the super bowl front runner.

It's ABSURD if he doesnt get it.
I agree, but would add JDR in there somewhere as well. Went from like 22nd ranked D to #4-ish (can't remember exact rankings). Not saying a lot of that isn't due to the severe decrease in 3-and-outs from Tebow to Peyton, but JDR, as well as getting rid of Andre Goodman, has made their mark on this team as well.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

I think Peyton hit the ground running, like nobody ever has before in the NFL.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Funny how all Patriot fans want Peterson to get the award, anyone but Peyton. Your post means nothing of insight, you fans are pathetic. I saw that clown Rodney Harrison do the same thing on SNF, I bet if it were Brady and Peterson it would be Brady no doubt.
Hypocrisy at it's finest. Imagine Bmore Manning voting for Manning.
Manning had a great year and I take nothing away from him but I wouldn't be upset if AP got MVP. 8 yards shy of the record and the playoffs. One should get comeback player and the other mvp.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The reason the Vikings got into the playoffs is because Ponder actually showed up for a few games down the stretch, not because of Peterson. Even when Peterson was dominating games, Minnesota was still losing games. I'm not even sure AP was the Vikings MVP, let alone the league. Should probably be a slam dunk for offensive player of the year though.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Agamemnon

It's really hard to argue against Manning getting his 5th MVP. Adrian Peterson has been amazing in many ways this season but he only scored 12 TDs (less than Eric Decker).
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
Hypocrisy at it's finest. Imagine Bmore Manning voting for Manning.
Manning had a great year and I take nothing away from him but I wouldn't be upset if AP got MVP. 8 yards shy of the record and the playoffs. One should get comeback player and the other mvp.
I truly don't think Peterson is the NFLs MVP. Percy Harvin was getting all that same talk when he was playing. People don't realize Ponder picked up the slack when Peterson couldn't get it done verse playoff teams, see 49ers and Texans. And their defense played great down the stretch...

Ponder isn't playing tonight so if Peterson really carries this team then they will beat Green Bay tonight!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
I truly don't think Peterson is the NFLs MVP. Percy Harvin was getting all that same talk when he was playing. People don't realize Ponder picked up the slack when Peterson couldn't get it done verse playoff teams, see 49ers and Texans. And their defense played great down the stretch...

Ponder isn't playing tonight so if Peterson really carries this team then they will beat Green Bay tonight!
Dude...what. I was at the Texans game, and the Texans had NO respect for Ponder, they literally had 11 men within 7 yards of the LOS. Their goal was to shut down Peterson, he was such a threat that it opened up passing game enough for the Vikings to win, plus Peterson STILL had 85 yards on the ground in that game. Averaging 85 yards a game btw equals a season total of 1,360 yards, pretty damn good. Heck, he did that in the 49ers game too.
2 games against the Packers, over 400 yards rushing with 2 TD's.
Seattle, 180 yards and 2 TD's.
Washington, 79 yards and 17 carries with 50 receiving yards, a good outing there.
2 games against a tough Bears defense, almost 300 total yards and 2 TD's
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
NickStixx

People are getting Best Offensive Player, and Most Valuable Player confused during all these discussions I've been hearing all week long.
Peyton Manning is the MVP
Adrian Peterson is the Offensive Player of the Year.

Why? Because Peyton literally transformed an entire team. The reason our defense is a top 5 defense has some to do with Jack Del Rio, but a lot to do with Peyton giving our team a lead and forcing teams to play catch up. Hence getting Von and Dumervil more sack opportunities, all ours CB's more INT opportunities. Knowshon Moreno is playing better now because teams have to account more for Manning in the pass.
Not to mention it's like having an offensive coordinator on the field at QB the entire time.

AP has been phenomenal, but he doesn't make the whole team better like Peyton Manning does.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #19
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Dude...what. I was at the Texans game, and the Texans had NO respect for Ponder, they literally had 11 men within 7 yards of the LOS. Their goal was to shut down Peterson, he was such a threat that it opened up passing game enough for the Vikings to win, plus Peterson STILL had 85 yards on the ground in that game. Averaging 85 yards a game btw equals a season total of 1,360 yards, pretty damn good. Heck, he did that in the 49ers game too.
2 games against the Packers, over 400 yards rushing with 2 TD's.
Seattle, 180 yards and 2 TD's.
Washington, 79 yards and 17 carries with 50 receiving yards, a good outing there.
2 games against a tough Bears defense, almost 300 total yards and 2 TD's
Do you have a point I'm missing?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:

Using that logic, we lost to three top playoff teams...
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #21
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
People are getting Best Offensive Player, and Most Valuable Player confused during all these discussions I've been hearing all week long.
Peyton Manning is the MVP
Adrian Peterson is the Offensive Player of the Year.

Why? Because Peyton literally transformed an entire team. The reason our defense is a top 5 defense has some to do with Jack Del Rio, but a lot to do with Peyton giving our team a lead and forcing teams to play catch up. Hence getting Von and Dumervil more sack opportunities, all ours CB's more INT opportunities. Knowshon Moreno is playing better now because teams have to account more for Manning in the pass.
Not to mention it's like having an offensive coordinator on the field at QB the entire time.

AP has been phenomenal, but he doesn't make the whole team better like Peyton Manning does.
I can dig this.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Sure sure... did you read the article?
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #23
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

As far as comeback player award goes....Peterson's career was not in jeopardy. Nobody expected 2,100 yards rushing, but you knew he would come back from it. Peyton on the other hand...his advanced age and 4 surgeries had people debating whether or not he'd ever play again.....

As for MVP...again, Manning changed the entire culture in Denver, given he took over a new team, with new offense (he did add some of his plays from Indy), and elevating his team to be the favorite to play in SB.

Just look at the pre-season odds of Vikings and Broncos to represent their respective conferences in SB.....I'm willing to bet that knowing Peterson coming back didn't affect the Vikings odds as much as the Broncos odds were affected after signing Manning.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
Using that logic, we lost to three top playoff teams...
There a reason you keep coming at me?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
Bmore Manning

I didn't know after that pretty well written article I had to add to it, otherwise fellow posters would give me **** for saying Peterson doesn't deserve it.

Like I said, Ponder is inactive, let's see if Peterson can CARRY them like people say.