The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Default So i've been drinking and pondered who wins...

98ish Broncos or this years team ... Go ....

I would most likely go 98 because everyone says the way to beat Manning is keep him off the field , and Terrell is the perfect weapon to do that with...

That 98 team was so loaded on O with many semi HOfers from the line to the skill spots. But this team is young and skilled with a brain at the helm...

Would be a great game. Elway and Manning are like comparing apples in oranges tho so lets not make it that , I'm talking about teams. The game is so different now. Elway would throw 4k a year all day with these rules.

But anyway .... go....
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

'98 team no question.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
Vine

Well, lets compare the units.

QB- Trying not to be biased here. Manning has the smarts and extreme accuracy. Elway has the feet and the cannon. Both are clutch when the game is on the line. Equal.

O'Line- 98 team hands down. This year's team has a good O'Line, but the '98 O'Line was a great great unit.

RB's- 98 team in a blowout. Obviously TD, but also Howard Griffith is far superior to anything resembling a FB on the current roster.

TE- 98 team in a blowout. Sharpe vs Driesen and Tamme?

WR- 98 team easy. Rod should be HOF and Eddie just made plays. DT is looking to have a long solid career, and Decker has shown that he can be a competent #2. But Rod > DT and Eddie Mac > Decker

D'Line- This years team in a blowout. Doom is better than any D'Lineman from the 98 team. Von is technically a LB'er so I'll consider him there.

LB'ers- Probably the '98 team. Romo, Mobley, and Cadrez were a very solid unit. Other than Miller, the Broncos LB'ers are probably the defensive weakness.

Secondary- This year's team. Although it is kinda close. Champ anchoring the secondary with solid play from Harris and Carter are very strong. But Atwater, along with Crockett and Gordon were decent, too.

P/K- Even Solid punter and kicker on both teams.

So, who would win? I'd have to go with 98 Broncos. I don't think this year's team could stop the 98 Broncos offense.

Last edited by Vine; 01-01-2013 at 02:54 AM..
Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
spiralism

Maybe we should, y'know, hang on a few weeks to see if this team can get it done before we compare it to the greatest Broncos team to ever take the field...
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
Maybe we should, y'know, hang on a few weeks to see if this team can get it done before we compare it to the greatest Broncos team to ever take the field...
We have a bye week. Plenty of time to talk about many things.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
spiralism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
We have a bye week. Plenty of time to talk about many things.
This team is something else, it's the best in the NFL truthfully and is in with a great shout but i do wonder are we getting ahead of ourselves a little, there's also a thread on the front page about how many of the current team are hall of famers lol
Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post

I would most likely go 98 because everyone says the way to beat Manning is keep him off the field , and Terrell is the perfect weapon to do that with...

That 98 team was so loaded on O with many semi HOfers from the line to the skill spots. But this team is young and skilled with a brain at the helm...

Would be a great game. Elway and Manning are like comparing apples in oranges tho so lets not make it that , I'm talking about teams. The game is so different now. Elway would throw 4k a year all day with these rules.

But anyway .... go....
Not meaning to take the air out of this thread but this type of comparison does not mean anything until you let this play out through the playoffs. The 98 team won a Superbowl. This 2012 has not experienced playoff pressure yet which means everything when talking about team comparisons.

If we want to do a position by position comparison that is fine. I agree the 98 OL is signficantly better than this years even though the 2012 unit is pretty good. The 98 OL was outstanding that dictated the game both on the ground and in the air. Obviously, we have no one close to TD.

98 Elway/TD offense vs 12 Manning hurry up offense , that is a discussion worth having.

The key matchup would be Manning offense vs a good opportunistic but not great 98 Defense, In 98, there was no one running this type of hurry up offense against defenses. Difficult to say how that 98 defense would hold up against Manning. We were not particularly great in the secondary in 98 (Braxton, near the end Atwater, Gordon, Crockett). I guess the difference would be how well we could pressure Manning.

The other matchup of how our 12 defense could stop the run with TD and an outstanding OL is another big question. No one in 98/99 could stop us. How good defensively are we really in 2012. That is where the upcoming playoffs against very good teams over 2 - 3 consecutive games will prove it out, not this past regular season.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
Bacchus

Its too early to tell, I mean if this Broncos team does not win the SB then why bother.

That being said Terrell Davis was on the '98 team. End/Thread
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:

But anyway .... go....
Not meaning to take the air out of this thread but this type of comparison does not mean anything until you let this play out through the playoffs. The 98 team won a Superbowl. This 2012 has not experienced playoff pressure yet which means everything when talking about team comparisons.

If we want to do a position by position comparison that is fine. I agree the 98 OL is signficantly better than this years even though the 2012 unit is pretty good. The 98 OL was outstanding that dictated the game both on the ground and in the air. Obviously, we have no one close to TD.

98 Elway/TD offense vs 12 Manning hurry up offense , that is a discussion worth having.

The key matchup would be Manning offense vs a good opportunistic but not great 98 Defense, In 98, there was no one running this type of hurry up offense against defenses. Difficult to say how that 98 defense would hold up against Manning. We were not particularly great in the secondary in 98 (Braxton, near the end Atwater, Gordon, Crockett). I guess the difference would be how well we could pressure Manning.

The other matchup of how our 12 defense could stop the run with TD and an outstanding OL is another big question. No one in 98/99 could stop us. How good defensively are we really in 2012. That is where the upcoming playoffs against very good teams over 2 - 3 consecutive games will prove it out, not this past regular season.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

98 team for sure. Can't equal Elway & Manning cuz they are not.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Statistically this team is better than the 98 team.

But, that 98 team won a superbowl so, until this team wins a superbowl there is no comparison.
Quote:

But anyway .... go....
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #12
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Statistically this team is better than the 98 team.

But, that 98 team won a superbowl so, until this team wins a superbowl there is no comparison.

Yea the media greatly underestimates those teams . I personally without homerness could argue those teams was as good on O as any team EVER ...

That line with a Hof Te , Hof worthy Wr and a running back who had the best 3-4 year stretch ever and John ...
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Quote:

But anyway .... go....
I think this is premature, however, comparing how things were in not very long ago, even in August, to just entertain this comparison makes me happy.
tesnyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
Well, lets compare the units.

QB- Trying not to be biased here. Manning has the smarts and extreme accuracy. Elway has the feet and the cannon. Both are clutch when the game is on the line. Equal.

O'Line- 98 team hands down. This year's team has a good O'Line, but the '98 O'Line was a great great unit.

RB's- 98 team in a blowout. Obviously TD, but also Howard Griffith is far superior to anything resembling a FB on the current roster.

TE- 98 team in a blowout. Sharpe vs Driesen and Tamme?

WR- 98 team easy. Rod should be HOF and Eddie just made plays. DT is looking to have a long solid career, and Decker has shown that he can be a competent #2. But Rod > DT and Eddie Mac > Decker

D'Line- This years team in a blowout. Doom is better than any D'Lineman from the 98 team. Von is technically a LB'er so I'll consider him there.

LB'ers- Probably the '98 team. Romo, Mobley, and Cadrez were a very solid unit. Other than Miller, the Broncos LB'ers are probably the defensive weakness.

Secondary- This year's team. Although it is kinda close. Champ anchoring the secondary with solid play from Harris and Carter are very strong. But Atwater, along with Crockett and Gordon were decent, too.

P/K- Even Solid punter and kicker on both teams.

So, who would win? I'd have to go with 98 Broncos. I don't think this year's team could stop the 98 Broncos offense.

Good post. But I can't believe Doom is the only name you dropped on DL when Neil Smith was hanging around. DL would be a tough call for me (overall). Especially factoring Pryce in as well. 98 wasn't as great at pass rush, but I wish we were as stout v the run nowadays.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 01-01-2013 at 07:49 AM..
Old 01-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

This team hasn't won a playoff game. Too too early for comparisons. Side note I enjoyed the 97 team more and that season versus 98.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Right now, the best team to compare this 13-3 Broncos team to is the last Broncos team that went 13-3.

That season (1996) was a fun, fun, fun season of football. Outside of the playoff loss to the jags, that was a heck of a team. They had the "it" factor for sure.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #17
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Right now, the best team to compare this 13-3 Broncos team to is the last Broncos team that went 13-3.

That season (1996) was a fun, fun, fun season of football. Outside of the playoff loss to the jags, that was a heck of a team. They had the "it" factor for sure.
The 2005 team actually went 13-3, so yeah.

But honestly, until this team holds a Lombardi Trophy come February, the 1998 team is the winner.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

This team reminds me of that team and that season. Just hope there is a different outcome and this team can make it to the Super Bowl
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Football Outsiders have this season as the greatest Bunks team ever and rank it as one of the 10 best teams EVER in the NFL.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Until this team holds up the Lombardi they are not competing with the best teams in franchise history.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
The 2005 team actually went 13-3, so yeah.

But honestly, until this team holds a Lombardi Trophy come February, the 1998 team is the winner.
doh! my bad, you are correct sir!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #22
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The OP realizes we have not won a playoff game or a SB. He posed the question for a fun discussion. You can still compare the two teams.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Well since Elway, TD, Zimmerman, Rod, Eddie Mac, Sharpe and Co. are all in their 50's and 40's, retired and no longer in NFL shape, I think this current team would kill them if they played this weekend*

*that's a joke for the humor impaired
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #24
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
The OP realizes we have not won a playoff game or a SB. He posed the question for a fun discussion. You can still compare the two teams.
Totally do and thank yous ... Just something to kill time to we see who we play.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #25
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

We can't cover TE's right now. Who on our defense would stop Sharpe? That opens up the running game for TD.

98 wins in a shoot out 42-35. And that's not a knock against the 12 team. That team was so dominant that most games were over by halftime.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote