The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #26
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Lovie would be a great choice. However, I really hope the organization can convince JDR to stick around for at least another year, if not one or two more after that to take advantage of the Manning run.

But if he really wants to be a HC, he'll have to take the opportunity when it arises.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #27
Agamemnon

The good news is that so far I haven't seen or heard any mention of teams pursuing JDR. Let's hope that continues.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #28
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post
I dont think lovie proved much as a HC. He never got chicago to that next step. He probably should of been fired last year. Fox, in contrast did coach in a superbowl.
WTF?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #29
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
we were fifth in sacks and it was the first year Elway had his hands on the team. the roster is much better this year than when Allen had the defense.
The point remains. Allen wasn't that special. He was serviceable. Nothing more.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #30
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

instead of going after the head coach that was fired, maybe we should actually go after the guy that was Defense Coordinator - Rod Marinelli.

If they do hire from outside of the current staff then I would hope for Ray Horton (DC for the Cardinals). That defense plays very similar style of defense where Denver appears to be going.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #31
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
instead of going after the head coach that was fired, maybe we should actually go after the guy that was Defense Coordinator - Rod Marinelli.

If they do hire from outside of the current staff then I would hope for Ray Horton (DC for the Cardinals). That defense plays very similar style of defense where Denver appears to be going.
Horton isn't available. Cardinals kept defensive staff plus he is a 3-4 guy.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #32
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post

part of the reason they fired Wisenhunt was the keep Horton. they feared they'd lose him and the back up plan if they can't land a top tier guy is to hire Horton as HC and pair him with a top notch OC.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
and going back to the 24th rank Defense in points and 20th in yards?

Allen wasn't special.
The year before the Broncos were dead last in points and yardage, or thereabouts. The defense jumped 12 spots and set up for JDR to be great. That being said I'd rather have Richard Smith than Allen.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #34
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
The year before the Broncos were dead last in points and yardage, or thereabouts. The defense jumped 12 spots and set up for JDR to be great. That being said I'd rather have Richard Smith than Allen.
Drafting Von Miller and getting Dumervil back will have that effect. It really didn't have that much to do with Allen.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #35
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Drafting Von Miller and getting Dumervil back will have that effect. It really didn't have that much to do with Allen.
clearly you don't remember the crap we had to trot out onto the field and call it a defense that season.

it had a lot to do with Allen. we were a bend don't break defense by design, give up tons of yards but force turnovers and get sacks.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #36
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

If not JDR than his right hand man. His understudy, who ever that is.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #37
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

JDR is the one name I have not heard as a possibility or interviewing.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #38
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I would take Lovie. Actually I was hoping we could get Allen back if JDR left but looks like Oakland kept him.
Von Miller and a Tampa 2?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #39
Drek
Ring of Famer

I'd go after Kevin Greene, outside linebackers coach for the Green Bay Packers. He's currently coaching in a 3-4 but we throw a lot of 3-4 wrinkles into our defense which is barely something you could call a base 4-3 anyhow. Greene also played in both 3-4 and 4-3 fronts, including time as a 4-3 OLB with significant pass rush production, so he'd understand Von Miller's situation quite well.

He hasn't been linked with any DC jobs despite the success of Green Bay's LBs, likely because the defense as a whole has been suspect and I'm sure he's quite picky about not getting to coach a talent on par with Clay Matthews. Von Miller offers an elite alternative with Doom as icing on the cake from a "look what you have to work with" perspective.

He'd be able to take this system and keep it going. Lovie Smith and Rod Marinelli would turn it into a much more conventional Tampa 2. I don't think we have anyone on the staff now with enough time under their belt to be given the reigns completely and Fox doesn't have the time to pick up the slack himself.

It's all moot though because I don't think JDR is going anywhere. McCoy looks like a shoe in to depart but that is a vacancy you can fill well without a ton of fight.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #40
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

it would not be the mane if people did not speculate about all the current coaches and/or players we could replace with someone else
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #41
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The good news is that so far I haven't seen or heard any mention of teams pursuing JDR. Let's hope that continues.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #42
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Why the blue balls would you want a DC who runs a strict cover two with a 4-3 front?

It would take years for Lovie to get the players he wants in our system.

We're only one or two players away on defense from being elite. Why screw with that and go a completely different direction.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #43
spiralism

Lovie is overqualified anyways. He'll walk into the HC gig he wants
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #44
Bmore Manning

This may be the unpopular view, but Romeo Crennel is a fabulous DC who has the respect of his players. He always has his teams playing great defensively.. As I have suggested Tom Moore for OC if McCoy leaves, but he will stay as long as Peyton plays in Denver and Peyton loves continuity in the structure of the organization.

That would lock up OC until Peyton is done. And I don't think Crennel will be getting a head coaching gig anytime soon, but he is a brilliant defensive mine. I think he fits more than some of the other names that I have seen, Smith and the Tampa 2... And we run a hybrid defense, so I want a 3-4/4-3 hybrid type flexible mind. Horton would be great but that's not an option. Keep in mind that our front plays in two gap principles, which would make a 3-4 coach an option.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #45
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
This may be the unpopular view, but Romeo Crennel is a fabulous DC who has the respect of his players. He always has his teams playing great defensively.. As I have suggested Tom Moore for OC if McCoy leaves, but he will stay as long as Peyton plays in Denver and Peyton loves continuity in the structure of the organization.

That would lock up OC until Peyton is done. And I don't think Crennel will be getting a head coaching gig anytime soon, but he is a brilliant defensive mine. I think he fits more than some of the other names that I have seen, Smith and the Tampa 2... And we run a hybrid defense, so I want a 3-4/4-3 hybrid type flexible mind. Horton would be great but that's not an option. Keep in mind that our front plays in two gap principles, which would make a 3-4 coach an option.
i love the idea of Crennel or Jauron to replace Del Rio if he leaves.
Lovie is getting a HC gig so discussing him is moot though he would be my #1 with a bullet.
he helped develop the tampa 2 D while with Dungy in Tampa and has ran only that his whole career but even Del Rio tweaked what he normally does to fit the talent of Denver when he came here.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #46
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If JDR leaves,the #1 choice should be Romeo Crennel,we need someone that can run either a 3-4/4-3 defense. Especially if you want someone that can be creative enough to use Von Miller.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #47
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
JDR is the one name I have not heard as a possibility or interviewing.
It might take him a few years to shake off the stench of J'Ville.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #48
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i love the idea of Crennel or Jauron to replace Del Rio if he leaves.
Lovie is getting a HC gig so discussing him is moot though he would be my #1 with a bullet.
he helped develop the tampa 2 D while with Dungy in Tampa and has ran only that his whole career but even Del Rio tweaked what he normally does to fit the talent of Denver when he came here.
I like Lovie, but I don't think that he fits in with what we are doing defensively. I don't think Von will be used properly under Lovie. Lovie would put Ayers at DE and Wolfe at DT.. I really don't like his principles and our personnel.

Jauron has really improved the Cleveland defense and I think he would be a better fit and would be able to run with what we are doing. I think that Cleveland would have a lot of success running a scheme like ours with their personnel. Sheard, Rubin, Taylor, Winn and maybe a Jarvis Jones coming off the edge. Jauron has also not been fired yet.. Should they get an offensive minded HC, they would be wise to keep Jauron.

I think Horton will be the HC somewhere next year, Arizona would be wise to keep him and go after a OC who was a former HC, Turner/Gailey.

There are plenty of young position coordinators, but I think we need continuity at the position and Crennel is not only beyond qualified, but he will not be called on as to coach somewhere, probably ever again. He would be able to solidify the position and really utilize our personnel.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #49
uplink
Ring of Famer

If JDR leaves it will be Smith as DC, the LB coach. The broncos have already blocked him from interviewing for DC jobs plus he has DC experience in the NFL.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #50
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
The last thing they’d want to do is hire a Lovie Smith to run the defense. He’s a scheme guy, a devotee of the Tampa 2. Playing Tampa 2 with Von Miller on the roster would be insane. I realize that Lovie is a name you know, but the Broncos aren’t going to want to completely change a scheme that has been terrific this year. Chill out, and stop being absurd.
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...io-speculation
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote