The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #26
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
The difference between Bowlen and many of the horrible horrible owners(Chuggers, Chiefs, Raiders among others) is that he recognized his mistake and got rid of McDaniels in a timely fashion instead of giving him more time to drive the team further into the ground.
While keeping large chunks of McDaniels' staff, FYI.

I'd say THAT is the big thing Bowlen has brought to this franchise. Fair evaluation for all. Matt Russell wasn't shown the door when McDaniels left, even though he was a McDaniels hire. A lot of the current coaching staff were brought in by McDaniels and when he was fired Bowlen didn't do what most owners do and cut the entire staff, instead he let Fox and Elway evaluate and decide who stays and who goes.

No grudges, no slanted perspectives. That's a huge part of how you need to run an organization this large from the top, with a "I hired the right guy for this job so I trust him to hire the right guy for that job" mindset.

Shanahan did great with this early on but fell into a quagmire of nepotism and surrounded himself with yes men. When it was clear that became a detriment to the team (wanting to keep Slowick) Bowlen let him go.

McDaniels brought a lot of new blood in from successful organizations (the aforementioned Matt Russell worked with NE and Philly, working under guys like Dimitroff and Grigson), when he personally failed to show the maturity needed to be a leader of men he was removed but the baby wasn't thrown out with the bathwater.

It'd be real nice if he could spend money on par with the other top 10 earners in the league but that's the reality of his ownership and I'd take a Bowlen who understands that owning an NFL team is largely about stewardship and community over those who see it as a tool for personal aggrandizement like the wealthiest owners who spend big money.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #27
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...81#post3750581

Mad props to you HAT, I thought there was no chance at getting the #1 seed.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #28
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Bowlen is due a lot of apologies around here. Never bought into that bull****.
They're too busy celebrating Shanahan/Redskins win...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #29
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
The difference between Bowlen and many of the horrible horrible owners(Chuggers, Chiefs, Raiders among others) is that he recognized his mistake and got rid of McDaniels in a timely fashion instead of giving him more time to drive the team further into the ground.
Couldn't agree more.

I've often said there is no such thing as "coach for life" in the NFL. Owners are a different matter. Hope he's around, and lucid, for decades to come.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Agreed. So many times you see people in positions of authority conducting themselves with a dogmatic devotion to a "way" of doing things to the point they don't recognize their mistakes, and thus don't fix them, don't learn from them and they repeat them. Bowlen is not married to his decisions and will always change course when a change needs to be made.

Everyone has the McDaniels fiasco still fresh in mind but I'd also point out how things went with Shanahan. He was at one point regarded by Bowlen as "coach for life". Then came a point where Bowlen realized he couldn't do that and he decided to make a change. It was a bold, gutsy move whether you agreed with it or not. But had it not been for Bowlen's willingness to change course when things are headed in the wrong direction, it's unlikely the team would be where it is now, with the right mix of people headed in the right direction with the ultimate goal within reach.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #31
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Yep, Bowlen has managed to fix a management problem and the team is now a SB favorite. Sure, he screwed the pooch with McD but hey, Bowlen took a chance and it didn't pan out. He's got a better structured front office now and an VP who actually cares about the Broncos and wants them to win SB. Pat went with Plan A, b****es.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #32
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
...Bowlen has managed to fix a management problem...
...and "management" fixed a QB problem!
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #33
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I'm not sure I'm as ready as others to forgive Pat his New England drift. The reality is that the Broncos are winning the Broncos way - exceptional QB play with versatile WRs, flexible TE's that also act like slot receivers and a solid running game, and a undersized but fast defense. Pat got lured by thinking that the Broncos had to become the patriots.

Darth Hoody tried to remake the Broncos as the Patriots - and not what the Patriots had been, but what they will be. Elway went back to what they have been. That is the reason for success.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #34
yerner
Ring of Famer

Must be the Shorts!

yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #35
Raidersbane
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
Exactly. Nobody is perfect but the very best quickly admit their mistakes and correct them.

Fair play, Pat.
This.

Everybody makes mistakes. The true measure of someone is how they react to their mistakes......Mr. Bowlen acted wisely and got us back on track.
Raidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #36
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Paradis by the dashboard lights

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Must be the Shorts!

God, do I love that picture.

Everyone wearing suits and ties except the REAL alpha wolf.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #37
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post

Actually, Pat didn't look on his calendar that it was draft day and he was in Dove Valley doing his workouts. He broke ranks when he smelled Pizza. See his eyes. Who is he staring out basically saying,"Where is my pie Pizza Boy?"
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #38
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Paradis by the dashboard lights

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Actually, Pat didn't look on his calendar that it was draft day and he was in Dove Valley doing his workouts. He broke ranks when he smelled Pizza. See his eyes. Who is he staring out basically saying,"Where is my pie Pizza Boy?"
Because when you're an NFL owner, a GM is just another pizza boy, as far as you're concerned.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #39
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So that photo is the real smoking gun for Xanders being let go, not the Lavonte Davis/Brock Osweiler disagreement.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #40
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have always thought of Bowlen as someone who wants to win, so I agree, he should get some kudos for the success of the team. He has made mistakes, but who hasn't?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #41
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post

Everyone is trying really hard not to look at his balls he's jamming in Fox's face.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #42
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Must be the Shorts!

Also, very racist photo. Can you find it?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #43
Bronco Yoda

Thanks for listening to me Pat. I called you out and demanded Elway to be hired to right the ship.

Now I'm demanding naked cheerleaders... don't think... just do...
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
So that photo is the real smoking gun for Xanders being let go, not the Lavonte Davis/Brock Osweiler disagreement.
Lavonte David would be sitting on the bench just like Os is, that is if you don't think Woodyard is worth a ****.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #45
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Posters will continue to ignore how good our owner is. We are very lucky to have a guy like him no matter how broke people think he is.
They're too busy worrying about their favorite teams to appreciate Bowlen right now.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #46
BroncoBeavis

Misunderstood thread title.

Thought there would be a hat to leave tips to help tide Pat over through the playoff bonuses.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #47
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Also, very racist photo. Can you find it?
There are no Jews.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #48
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
While keeping large chunks of McDaniels' staff, FYI.

I'd say THAT is the big thing Bowlen has brought to this franchise. Fair evaluation for all. Matt Russell wasn't shown the door when McDaniels left, even though he was a McDaniels hire. A lot of the current coaching staff were brought in by McDaniels and when he was fired Bowlen didn't do what most owners do and cut the entire staff, instead he let Fox and Elway evaluate and decide who stays and who goes.

No grudges, no slanted perspectives. That's a huge part of how you need to run an organization this large from the top, with a "I hired the right guy for this job so I trust him to hire the right guy for that job" mindset.

Shanahan did great with this early on but fell into a quagmire of nepotism and surrounded himself with yes men. When it was clear that became a detriment to the team (wanting to keep Slowick) Bowlen let him go.

McDaniels brought a lot of new blood in from successful organizations (the aforementioned Matt Russell worked with NE and Philly, working under guys like Dimitroff and Grigson), when he personally failed to show the maturity needed to be a leader of men he was removed but the baby wasn't thrown out with the bathwater.

It'd be real nice if he could spend money on par with the other top 10 earners in the league but that's the reality of his ownership and I'd take a Bowlen who understands that owning an NFL team is largely about stewardship and community over those who see it as a tool for personal aggrandizement like the wealthiest owners who spend big money.
Yeah, People forget that Pat promised a lot of things when Shanahan was canned back in 2008. A lot of those promises went unfulfilled, like when he promised the organization would be structured better and it didn't happen, leaving McDaniels to do everything himself.

It didn't work out and it made the perception be that the org was toxic. Lot of coaches turned Elway down to do interviews to coach for Denver, even Jim Mora Jr wouldn't interview for a DC opening when Fox got the job.

Elway deserves a lot of the credit for getting us out of the ditch with his leadership and decisions. I had my doubts Elway would be successful given the fact that he had zero experience in an NFL front office.

Pat deserves credit for bringing Elway back into the fold and spending the money to get Manning.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #49
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

I'll get my head chopped off for saying this but until we win a Super Bowl all the pride and glory we had as fans going into the playoffs will quickly fad if we take an early exit. We have to deliver in the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

This isn't taking anything away from the great season we had but we're on the second half of a journey now, the far more important one. If it doesn't lead to a win in the big game especially given the circumstances we find ourselves in with home field, Manning in his prime and the best D we've had in years, all the work to get there will be a big disappointment. The table is set, the Broncos must win a Super Bowl this year. We may not get another chance for who knows how long. Manning has had 12 opportunities and only converted 1 to a Super Bowl win. Now is the time to deliver.

I'm not trying to piss on the parade. I'm just tired of great regular seasons, playoff wins and AFC Championships not adding up to Lombardi's. Does this make me less of a fan? Bowlen is a great owner always has been but Elway's story has not been completely written as a genius in the front office.

Last edited by Mile High Mojoe; 12-31-2012 at 04:20 PM..
Mile High Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #50
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

^^^ Mile High Mojoe has it where Lombardi trophys come easy. Every franchise has at least 20 in their case. Add up our winning seasons and then see how that compares to our actual 2 in the case. While we are striving for that 3rd one, many more times then not, we will fail. I am not sure if we win it all but I have a good feeling we are going to New Orleans.