The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #226
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Mojoe View Post
Thanks for giving me some back up. This is my point, we have a the 5th ranked D, one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game starting at QB, the Patriots are down, the Ravens are down, IMO we should be able to beat any of the teams currently in the NFC playoffs, we have home field throughout. To call the team successful if they blow this chance just doesn't fit, it WILL be a failure.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen the team is good enough to win the whole thing and we shouldn't expect anything less. If they don't win it with this team and the advantages they have THIS year no one will call the season a success. Winning the SB has to be the goal, an early playoff exit or 2nd place in the SB is not.
If you had been staking this claim since last offseason, then I'd get you, but this team has become far better, much faster, than most thought possible. 13-3 is, in itself, a successful season. Our hopes and expectations are high right now, and not winning the super bowl will bring some disappointment, but it will not equal a failure of a season. Deion Sanders says a lot of things, but they aren't necessarily right.

From a players perspective, especially one who has won a Super Bowl, it's easy to label anything less than a Lombardi Trophy a failure, but in reality, the spectum of success in the NFL is broader than a binary success/failure. The game is far more complex from a GM and coaching perspective.

For fans, apparently it varies. I think this season has been incredibly successful, and will consider each additional win as additional success. For you, it seems to depend only on whether they win the Super Bowl. If that's the case, I presume you stopped watching the games once you decided this team was good enough to win it all? I presume you will not watch the playoffs games until the Super Bowl?

I didn't think so.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #227
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Nice edit Baja.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #228
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Nice edit Baja.
YES

Next Thread Titles by Baja:

"I like Sunlight better than food but now I changed my mind"

"Mexico is much safer than USA but now I changed my mind"

"I was going to turn myself into the authorities but now I changed my mind"
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #229
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
YES

Next Thread Titles by Baja:

"I like Sunlight better than food but now I changed my mind"

"Mexico is much safer than USA but now I changed my mind"

"I was going to turn myself into the authorities but now I changed my mind"
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #230
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeZ01 View Post
Baja makes sense to me...I mean if his mom wanted the best seed, he wouldn't be here.
BJ can never change this post though... Orangemane gold
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #231
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Baja makes sense to me...I mean if his mom wanted the best seed, he wouldn't be here.
Nice bump on this one CBF1. He got banned for this! This isn't family smack, it is Baja smack. THere is no rip on the Mom but on Baja. Weak moderator that can't tell the difference of personal smack and family smack. When he gets back, I hope someone reminds everyone to Pos rep the **** out of this post. Very funny!

Boo to whoever was responsible for banning him.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #232
Bacchus

Quote:
i mentioned both 86 and 87. We didnt sneak up on anyone in 87 but 86 was a nice surprise of how far we went and how good we played in the regular season. We pump up our own but if you look at some of the stats, Elway did a lot with above average guys. I loved em but if I look back as a non Broncos fan, I would say it was not a scary group of receivers. Look at our running backs. Winder and Sewell. Add Wilhite and you might get 1100 yards. Winder had less than 750 yards in those 2 seasons. Kay was at least a standout as a TE with almost 40 catches. Hail Elway. No way those are failures of seasons.

Losing that bad like they were preseason college games? Yes, that was a complete failure but only for the game not the season.
Yeah, those were some great years, The WRs fit the offense but they weren't scarey. Although I would absolutely love seeing Vance running the slot on this team. In his prime of course!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #233
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Naaw, having the #1 seed is always better. We earned it and I like our chances against Brady no matter what. That said, I love what Deion Sanders said tonight. If you don't win the Super Bowl nothing else matters and the season is a failure. I've been saying this since Elway retired.

For all the great regular season records and stats if you don't advance to the SB and win it, it has to be considered a failure. 2nd place sucks we've been there. The Broncos have been the Bridesmaid 3 times, 3 times. The Broncos have the greatest chance since 2006 to win it all. Except this time they have Manning instead of Plummer.

Personally if they don't win it all it'll be the biggest playoff failure since the Broncos lost to the Jaguars in 1996.

It's there for the taking they MUST win it THIS year.
4 times MHM... that would be 4 times as the Bridesmaid. And for those of us that watched the Orange Crush way back when, it was not a total failure.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #234
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
If you had been staking this claim since last offseason, then I'd get you, but this team has become far better, much faster, than most thought possible. 13-3 is, in itself, a successful season. Our hopes and expectations are high right now, and not winning the super bowl will bring some disappointment, but it will not equal a failure of a season. Deion Sanders says a lot of things, but they aren't necessarily right.

From a players perspective, especially one who has won a Super Bowl, it's easy to label anything less than a Lombardi Trophy a failure, but in reality, the spectum of success in the NFL is broader than a binary success/failure. The game is far more complex from a GM and coaching perspective.

For fans, apparently it varies. I think this season has been incredibly successful, and will consider each additional win as additional success. For you, it seems to depend only on whether they win the Super Bowl. If that's the case, I presume you stopped watching the games once you decided this team was good enough to win it all? I presume you will not watch the playoffs games until the Super Bowl?

I didn't think so.
You have to separate what is defined as a great season and a “successful” season. In 1996 the Broncos were a 13-3 team, had home field throughout and then proceeded to lose to the lowly Jaguars. After this one was over I didn’t call the Broncos a success at all. After this one no hard core Broncos fan and no one in the media called that season a success either. It was such an epic failure that there was talk after the game that the great Elway might retire.

I consider that loss the worst defeat in Broncos team history, #2 was the Redskins Super Bowl loss, then at #3 the epic fail by Jake when he blew his wad in 2006. The SB losses to the Giants and 49ers were devastating but both teams were better than the Broncos so it wasn’t a big shock when we came up on the short end.

I remember the Jaguars game like it was yesterday. The day before the game I bought a brand new 32 inch Hitachi Color TV. I invited about 10 friends over to watch the game. I was absolutely convinced the Broncos were going to win the whole thing that year because they had the best regular season record in the AFC and I believed at the time no one could stop them. That one hurt, hurt bad, it crushed Elway and the City of Denver.

Did they win a lot of games that year and put up great stats? Oh yeah but to call that season successful is bad joke.

The same would be true of the Redskins loss in the Super Bowl. The Broncos got a second chance after losing to what was a far better team than them in the Giants the year before. The Broncos were the best team in the NFL during the regular season in 1988. The Redskins were lucky to be there.

They let the Bucs Doug Williams and Tim Smith have career days when both wouldn’t even be backups on most teams back then. For whatever reason a pretty good Broncos D up until that point unraveled, especially in the secondary. Lilly who can forget Lilly getting beat like a school boy on every pass play.

Then of course there’s 2006, a team as it turned out that was one player, a QB, away from a SB.

After the last Super Bowl win in 1998 Shanahan would go onto have what some would call “successful” seasons. None of them translated into a Super Bowl win however and the memory of the last one has turned into a 13 year wait for another.

The game is played to win championships period. If the Broncos blow a chance here with home field advantage with Manning at the top of his game and the D playing as well as they has in years I wouldn’t call it a successful season.

THEY MUST WIN THE SUPER BOWL! GO BRONCOS!!

Last edited by Mile High Mojoe; 12-31-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Mile High Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #235
JakeZ01

Quote:
Nice bump on this one CBF1. He got banned for this! This isn't family smack, it is Baja smack. THere is no rip on the Mom but on Baja. Weak moderator that can't tell the difference of personal smack and family smack. When he gets back, I hope someone reminds everyone to Pos rep the **** out of this post. Very funny!

Boo to whoever was responsible for banning him.
Thank you, but I was insulting his father...I think it was a weak ban, but rules are rules I guess.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #236
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Thank you, but I was insulting his father...I think it was a weak ban, but rules are rules I guess.
"No family smack" is a forum rule that has always been strictly enforced. When in doubt as to whether or not a remark could be viewed as family smack, the wisest course is to just not click "Submit Reply".

In your case, the post insulted both of his parents; suggesting that his father was genetically inferior and that his mother wasn't picky.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #237
Bacchus

Blue has the Banhammer
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #238
JakeZ01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
"No family smack" is a forum rule that has always been strictly enforced. When in doubt as to whether or not a remark could be viewed as family smack, the wisest course is to just not click "Submit Reply".

In your case, the post insulted both of his parents; suggesting that his father was genetically inferior and that his mother wasn't picky.
fair enough. but whose father is really the best genetic sample? my dad is bald and has b**** boobies. It was a light joke really...

I will say this, I have seen FAAAAAAR worse here go untouched. I'll just make sure if I say something ban worthy, that I go all the way next time
Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #239
Bacchus

Quote:
fair enough. but whose father is really the best genetic sample? my dad is bald and has b**** boobies. It was a light joke really...

I will say this, I have seen FAAAAAAR worse here go untouched. I'll just make sure if I say something ban worthy, that I go all the way next time
I think everyone that posts here mothers are ridiculous, idiotic and moronic for raising stupid children.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #240
Butterscotch Stallion

Lol
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #241
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
well, welcome back from a complete weak ban.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #242
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
You have to separate what is defined as a great season and a “successful” season. In 1996 the Broncos were a 13-3 team, had home field throughout and then proceeded to lose to the lowly Jaguars. After this one was over I didn’t call the Broncos a success at all. After this one no hard core Broncos fan and no one in the media called that season a success either. It was such an epic failure that there was talk after the game that the great Elway might retire.

I consider that loss the worst defeat in Broncos team history, #2 was the Redskins Super Bowl loss, then at #3 the epic fail by Jake when he blew his wad in 2006. The SB losses to the Giants and 49ers were devastating but both teams were better than the Broncos so it wasn’t a big shock when we came up on the short end.

I remember the Jaguars game like it was yesterday. The day before the game I bought a brand new 32 inch Hitachi Color TV. I invited about 10 friends over to watch the game. I was absolutely convinced the Broncos were going to win the whole thing that year because they had the best regular season record in the AFC and I believed at the time no one could stop them. That one hurt, hurt bad, it crushed Elway and the City of Denver.

Did they win a lot of games that year and put up great stats? Oh yeah but to call that season successful is bad joke.

The same would be true of the Redskins loss in the Super Bowl. The Broncos got a second chance after losing to what was a far better team than them in the Giants the year before. The Broncos were the best team in the NFL during the regular season in 1988. The Redskins were lucky to be there.

They let the Bucs Doug Williams and Tim Smith have career days when both wouldn’t even be backups on most teams back then. For whatever reason a pretty good Broncos D up until that point unraveled, especially in the secondary. Lilly who can forget Lilly getting beat like a school boy on every pass play.

Then of course there’s 2006, a team as it turned out that was one player, a QB, away from a SB.

After the last Super Bowl win in 1998 Shanahan would go onto have what some would call “successful” seasons. None of them translated into a Super Bowl win however and the memory of the last one has turned into a 13 year wait for another.

The game is played to win championships period. If the Broncos blow a chance here with home field advantage with Manning at the top of his game and the D playing as well as they has in years I wouldn’t call it a successful season.

THEY MUST WIN THE SUPER BOWL! GO BRONCOS!!
Couldn't agree more.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote