The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #201
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Naaw, having the #1 seed is always better. We earned it and I like our chances against Brady no matter what. That said, I love what Deion Sanders said tonight. If you don't win the Super Bowl nothing else matters and the season is a failure. I've been saying this since Elway retired.

For all the great regular season records and stats if you don't advance to the SB and win it, it has to be considered a failure. 2nd place sucks we've been there. The Broncos have been the Bridesmaid 3 times, 3 times. The Broncos have the greatest chance since 2006 to win it all. Except this time they have Manning instead of Plummer.

Personally if they don't win it all it'll be the biggest playoff failure since the Broncos lost to the Jaguars in 1996.

It's there for the taking they MUST win it THIS year.
Mile High Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #202
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

^ MHM,
you are rarely correct and this one is no exception. It would be a failure as we have the #1 seed. Failure if we lose in the superbowl? I am not sure about that. THere are teams building from rock bottom and to say 31 teams are failures is a complete joke. Seattle not winning this season the Lombardi trophy is not considered a failure. I believe Bengals wouldnt be considered a failure either. They finally have 2 playoff seasons in 30 years. Do you know what is a failure? Your thoughts on Luck before finally admitting you were wrong and your try at getting people to read your blogs.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #203
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
^ MHM,
you are rarely correct and this one is no exception. It would be a failure as we have the #1 seed. Failure if we lose in the superbowl? I am not sure about that. THere are teams building from rock bottom and to say 31 teams are failures is a complete joke. Seattle not winning this season the Lombardi trophy is not considered a failure. I believe Bengals wouldnt be considered a failure either. They finally have 2 playoff seasons in 30 years. Do you know what is a failure? Your thoughts on Luck before finally admitting you were wrong and your try at getting people to read your blogs.
No shock to see you haven't changed a bit. You still have plenty of hate and discontent to spread on this great day but I won't indulge you. I'm happy for the Broncos, they're my team just as much as yours but taking second this year won't do. The table is set, the road to the Super Bowl goes through Denver and I think after they take care of the Pats, Manning brings home the 3rd ring.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #204
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Mojoe View Post
No shock to see you haven't changed a bit. You still have plenty of hate and discontent to spread on this great day but I won't indulge you. I'm happy for the Broncos, they're my team just as much as yours but taking second this year won't do. The table is set, the road to the Super Bowl goes through Denver and I think after they take care of the Pats, Manning brings home the 3rd ring.
2nd might suck but this is after all has been said and done. You really going to try and tell me teams like Seattle, Washington and Cinci have failure seasons if they don't win it all? Your logic is still flawed.

BTW, I think we have enough to win it all. Didn't think that before the season. Our comeback has come very quick. I think better things are in our future. I would love to see 96-98 all over again (but with 3 SB wins).
Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 AM   #205
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
2nd might suck but this is after all has been said and done. You really going to try and tell me teams like Seattle, Washington and Cinci have failure seasons if they don't win it all? Your logic is still flawed.

BTW, I think we have enough to win it all. Didn't think that before the season. Our comeback has come very quick. I think better things are in our future. I would love to see 96-98 all over again (but with 3 SB wins).
Seattle has had a nice season, Cinci, Washington, Indy, Minnesota they've all had great regular season success. But I'm positive that ever team on this list wants the ring and a champioship. Yeah, we'll remember AP and his rushing record, Manning's great comeback, RG3, Wilson and Luck having great Rookie seasons. But in the end if you don't win the final game it is a failure, it's certainly not a success to lose it. It can't be called a complete success without it. I'm sure Manning, Fox, Elway and Bowlen all feel the same way. To get HF throughout and not win it all is most certainly going to be a failure, nothing will stop the Broncos but themselves now, nothing.

I think the key to winning it all is going to be can the Broncos D keep up the intensity? They're playing as well as they did in the 2006, better really so if they can play well and Manning and Company does his thing we shouldn't expect anything but a win the SB.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #206
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
It would have been going through Denver anyway.

However, I honestly want an extra game to "Practice" for New England anyway. I was kinda worried about getting them after a bye if we had some rust, they could *****lam us.
I'm thinking back a couple weeks to when it looked like we'd have to go to Foxboro as 2 vs 3.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #207
Agamemnon

Quote:

When you are the best all-around team in the league with home field advantage in the playoffs, not winning the Super Bowl is a big fat failure. Period.

The teams you are talking about have 1st and 2nd year QBs and are just happy to be in the playoffs. It's completely different.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #208
Bacchus

Quote:

Personally if they don't win it all it'll be the biggest playoff failure since the Broncos lost to the Jaguars in 1996.

It's there for the taking they MUST win it THIS year.
I do not even know you\ but why the **** would you say this on a rare appearance? It makes you sound like a hater or a Teboner anyway.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #209
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

MHM, you think seasons like 86 and 87 were failures. Of course every team has the thoughts in April to win it all but in reality, it isn't going to happen for all but 1. It isnt so cut n dry. We have made more runs at the SB then most teams but I will never look at those seasons as failures. I think 96 season is one of the biggest failures but that is based on how good that team was and to lose in the 2nd round to a Jags team. Go back and see who was on that 86 or 87 team. Guys like Arthur marshall and a young Nattiel. THat team had no business getting as far as they did. Not a failure at all. We just had high hopes as they continued to do well. They played over their head and we had a great QB. Please let Elway know that those seasons were failures.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 12-31-2012 at 12:57 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #210
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
When you are the best all-around team in the league with home field advantage in the playoffs, not winning the Super Bowl is a big fat failure. Period.

The teams you are talking about have 1st and 2nd year QBs and are just happy to be in the playoffs. It's completely different.
I agree and stated that.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #211
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I do not even know you\ but why the **** would you say this on a rare appearance? It makes you sound like a hater or a Teboner anyway.
Oh man, there is no one place to begin to explain why our friend Mile High Mojoe says the stuff he does. I am not going to dig up the past, but lets just say he isn't afraid to say anything.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #212
Agamemnon

Quote:
I agree and stated that.
Guess I misunderstood what you were saying...
Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #213
BroncoBeavis

I'll be happy making the AFCCG so long as we don't end up humiliated by the Pats again. Even if its a loss in one of those Heavyweight title bouts for the ages, that wouldn't be so terrible. So long as we go down swinging and look like the top tier team we are... hard to fault that.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #214
Bacchus

Quote:
MHM, you think seasons like 86 and 87 were failures. Of course every team has the thoughts in April to win it all but in reality, it isn't going to happen for all but 1. It isnt so cut n dry. We have made more runs at the SB then most teams but I will never look at those seasons as failures. I think 96 season is one of the biggest failures but that is based on how good that team was and to lose in the 2nd round to a Jags team. Go back and see who was on that 86 or 87 team. Guys like Arthur marshall, Michael Young and a young Nattiel. THat team had no business getting as far as they did. Not a failure at all. We just had high hopes as they continued to do well. They played over their head and we had a great QB. Please let Elway know that those seasons were failures.
Nice sentiment but Natiel was not drafted until 1987. Michael Young was a FA in '89 and Marshall was 1992.

In 1986-87 you are talking about Vance Johnson, Mark Jackson, Clint Sampson and Steve Watson....You know Elway's 4 sons!!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #215
Agamemnon

Quote:
MHM, you think seasons like 86 and 87 were failures. Of course every team has the thoughts in April to win it all but in reality, it isn't going to happen for all but 1. It isnt so cut n dry. We have made more runs at the SB then most teams but I will never look at those seasons as failures. I think 96 season is one of the biggest failures but that is based on how good that team was and to lose in the 2nd round to a Jags team. Go back and see who was on that 86 or 87 team. Guys like Arthur marshall, Michael Young and a young Nattiel. THat team had no business getting as far as they did. Not a failure at all. We just had high hopes as they continued to do well. They played over their head and we had a great QB. Please let Elway know that those seasons were failures.
The Reeves-era Super Bowl losses weren't failures because they lost. After all none of those teams were particularly great like you said. They were failures because of the absolutely shameful way they lost.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #216
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I'll be happy making the AFCCG so long as we don't end up humiliated by the Pats again. Even if its a loss in one of those Heavyweight title bouts for the ages, that wouldn't be so terrible. So long as we go down swinging and look like the top tier team we are... hard to fault that.
I won't be happy with anything short of a Super Bowl win. This is the second best Bronco team I've ever watched after the '98 team, and they have no business losing to anyone from here on out. Especially to the mother****ing Patriots at home.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #217
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Nice sentiment but Natiel was not drafted until 1987. Michael Young was a FA in '89 and Marshall was 1992.

In 1986-87 you are talking about Vance Johnson, Mark Jackson, Clint Sampson and Steve Watson....You know Elway's 4 sons!!!!!
i mentioned both 86 and 87. We didnt sneak up on anyone in 87 but 86 was a nice surprise of how far we went and how good we played in the regular season. We pump up our own but if you look at some of the stats, Elway did a lot with above average guys. I loved em but if I look back as a non Broncos fan, I would say it was not a scary group of receivers. Look at our running backs. Winder and Sewell. Add Wilhite and you might get 1100 yards. Winder had less than 750 yards in those 2 seasons. Kay was at least a standout as a TE with almost 40 catches. Hail Elway. No way those are failures of seasons.

Losing that bad like they were preseason college games? Yes, that was a complete failure but only for the game not the season.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #218
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:

Thanks for giving me some back up. This is my point, we have a the 5th ranked D, one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game starting at QB, the Patriots are down, the Ravens are down, IMO we should be able to beat any of the teams currently in the NFC playoffs, we have home field throughout. To call the team successful if they blow this chance just doesn't fit, it WILL be a failure.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen the team is good enough to win the whole thing and we shouldn't expect anything less. If they don't win it with this team and the advantages they have THIS year no one will call the season a success. Winning the SB has to be the goal, an early playoff exit or 2nd place in the SB is not.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #219
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
they have no business losing to anyone from here on out. Especially to the mother****ing Patriots at home.
we're still going to have a really hard time dealing with the cumulative effect of NE's TE duo plus their running game.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #220
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
we're still going to have a really hard time dealing with the cumulative effect of NE's TE duo plus their running game.
The Broncos will completely shut the door on their running game and pressure Brady. The TE's won't be as big a factor this year, the Broncos D will cover well and smother Brady with an unrelenting pass rush. I don't see us losing to the Patriots it won't happen.

Last edited by Mile High Mojoe; 12-31-2012 at 01:21 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #221
Agamemnon

Quote:
The 29th ranked pass defense in the league versus Manning and Co. looks like a much worse matchup than the 3rd ranked pass defense versus Brady and Co. Much, much worse. Oh and they won't be able to use their hurry-up offense.

They better pray for a bunch of stupid Bronco turnovers. That's their only hope.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #222
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Thanks for giving me some back up. This is my point, we have a the 5th ranked D, one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game starting at QB, the Patriots are down, the Ravens are down, IMO we should be able to beat any of the teams currently in the NFC playoffs, we have home field throughout. To call the team successful if they blow this chance just doesn't fit, it WILL be a failure.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen the team is good enough to win the whole thing and we shouldn't expect anything less. If they don't win it with this team and the advantages they have THIS year no one will call the season a success. Winning the SB has to be the goal, an early playoff exit or 2nd place in the SB is not.
Backup? You said it is a failure for all seasons not just this season. With what is now in our grasps, I would say nothing less than a SB appearance is a failure. At the beginning of the season, 10 wins and a playoff victory would not be a failure if that is all we got. Things have changed and our goals are now higher.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 AM   #223
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The 29th ranked pass defense in the league versus Manning and Co. looks like a much worse matchup than the 3rd ranked pass defense versus Brady and Co. Much, much worse. Oh and they won't be able to use their hurry-up offense.
our pass defense in general is obviously good, but we're very bad vs. the tight end (I originally said the worst. Football outsiders have us 23rd in DVOA against TE, and we've given up the third most yards. Pretty bad). I don't think any of that Hernandez-in-the-backfield junk could do anything to us this year, but I also don't think we can realistically expect to shutdown their TEs AND their backs. If Harris can hold up on Welker (this would be a great matchup to watch) and Lloyd doesn't beat Champ deep, we could be all right even if one of those two areas have a nice day, but another disaster like 250 rushing yards against? Or Hernandez for a buck fifty and two TDs? we'd lose that game. as far as our receivers, football outsiders says NE is actually pretty good in pass defense against WR. I buy it. Their secondary isn't as bad as it looked early in the season. Talib has certainly helped.

I'm also worried about turnover differential. those stats usually come to bear in the playoffs, and the Pats are number one in the NFL.

basically no one can convince me that this isn't a tough game. I'm going to worry about it from today until the game is over. and if we don't make it there to begin with I'm going to break every window in my house.

Last edited by extralife; 12-31-2012 at 01:39 AM..
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #224
Agamemnon

Quote:
our pass defense in general is obviously good, but we're very bad vs. the tight end (I originally said the worst. Football outsiders have us 23rd in DVOA against TE, and we've given up the third most yards. Pretty bad). I don't think any of that Hernandez-in-the-backfield junk could do anything to us this year, but I also don't think we can realistically expect to shutdown their TEs AND their backs. If Harris can hold up on Welker (this would be a great matchup to watch) and Lloyd doesn't beat Champ deep, we could be all right even if one of those two areas have a nice day, but another disaster like 250 rushing yards against? Or Hernandez for a buck fifty and two TDs? we'd lose that game.

I'm also worried about turnover differential. those stats usually come to bear in the playoffs, and the Pats are number one in the NFL.

basically no one can convince me that this isn't a tough game. I'm going to worry about it from today until the game is over. and if we don't make it there to begin with I'm going to break every window in my house.
If we're just looking at matchups it shouldn't be a tough game. The offenses are roughly equal (the Pats have inflated stats due to constantly running it up on crappy teams), while the Broncos defense is vastly superior. And you're actually wrong about the turnover thing. Many teams with big TO differentials in the regular season see that dry up in the playoffs. Though it definitely is the X factor, and the only way I see us losing to the Pats (or really anyone).
Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #225
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I honestly think we got Cincinatti coming to town in the divisional.
Yeah it could happen.

I am sure Houston will get destroyed at some point. They will either embarrass themselves this week at home or get completely slaughtered by the Patriots.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote