The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #51
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
IMO you don't get this both ways. If we're going to skewer a guy for the bad Flynn contract, you don't then get to say he just "got lucky" on Wilson.

If that's the case, you could argue that he was unlucky with Flynn but Wilson was a genius pick.
Wilson was rated pretty high...and the depth of good QBs in last year's draft was remarkable....I would say they got lucky getting Wilson....and more power to 'em. They drafted well, but there was a sizeable mane group that wanted both Wilson and Turban on the Broncos.

It just looks a little funny that Carroll and Schneider look like schmucks flying to Denver to try to get Peyton to Seattle, while overpaying for Flynn; yet drafting Wilson is more of a score for Schneider than getting Peyton is for Elway?

It's laughable....especially when you consider that Elway traded Tebow for more than he was worth and replaced him with the best QB in the league....but Seattle gets the nod for having a good QB drop to them in a QB loaded draft? Hokay.....
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #52
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Seattle went 7-9 last season and wasn't considered a contender before the season and they've looked like the best team in the league the last 3 weeks and are the "team nobody wants to play" in the playoffs. Clearly Schneider did something right.
Also, is this not Petey's final year in his contract? IIRC old Petey was gonna be done at the end of this year if he didn't at least make it to the playoffs.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #53
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
Wilson was rated pretty high...and the depth of good QBs in last year's draft was remarkable....I would say they got lucky getting Wilson....and more power to 'em. They drafted well, but there was a sizeable mane group that wanted both Wilson and Turban on the Broncos.

It just looks a little funny that Carroll and Schneider look like schmucks flying to Denver to try to get Peyton to Seattle, while overpaying for Flynn; yet drafting Wilson is more of a score for Schneider than getting Peyton is for Elway?

It's laughable....especially when you consider that Elway traded Tebow for more than he was worth and replaced him with the best QB in the league....but Seattle gets the nod for having a good QB drop to them in a QB loaded draft? Hokay.....
If Wilson was let's say 6'3" tall he would have been a top 10 QB pick. The only thing holding him back was his height. Yes, Seattle deserves a pat on the back for draft this guy but no, it was not a huge gamble in any way as he was not drafted real high and his only perceived flaw is his height.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #54
g6matty

i was under the impression pete carrol has huge say in the draft process. isnt that d bag the same dude who drafted arron curry like 4 over all. and james carpenter in the late first who no one saw coming lol?

huge contracts to robert gallery and matt flynn to sit the bench.

i love seattles team theyre awsome. im envious the there physicallity in the secondary but i dont see the executive making better moves then john has
Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #55
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Wow, so wrong. He whiffed on Manning (how many teams acquired and wanted him? Titans? 49ers? Cardinals? Chiefs? Seahawks?). He hasn't been in Seattle long enough to keep "whiffing". He grabbed Flynn and he sat on the bench because Schnieder didn't hit a single in Wilson. He did his homework and drafted one of the better QBs of this season! That isn't a single in my books but a homerun in the 3rd round (every team had at least 2 chances to get him ... well not the Raiders of course.)

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Elway is still the man.
That would include Seattle. If Seattle knew Wilson was going to be this good, they would have taken him earlier.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #56
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think we all know Seattle should really be 9-6. Their gift from the replacement officials gave them an extra win.

They are hot late in the season but 9 wins is not better then 10 wins in a row and a 12-3 record. That's how I see it.

The only thing hurting Elway in all this is the "Manning Factor" as they describe. No problems. I'm sure Elway would trade in 10 of those awards if it meant landing Manning again, with a great shot at winning a Superbowl.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #57
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

How did signing TO, Braylon Edwards and trading for Winslow workout for the Hawks?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #58
Bronco Yoda

John has done a fantastic job! Not bad for somebody many even here said had no business being an NFL Exec/GM.

Well Done Elway!

Last edited by Bronco Yoda; 12-30-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #59
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
no, we know from the bickering on this board that 25% of the mane are colossal idiots
Well, you may be right, but it doesn't change the fact that in March Manning was anything but a finished product. To give 18 million to a guy that couldn't make "all the throws" at that time took a leap of faith, and had many doubters, including ones at ESPN.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #60
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Well, you may be right, but it doesn't change the fact that in March Manning was anything but a finished product. To give 18 million to a guy that couldn't make "all the throws" at that time took a leap of faith, and had many doubters, including ones at ESPN.
All season it's been like that.

Pre-Season: DENVER SUCKS MANNING WON'T MAKE IT
Early Season: SEE YOU SUCK, CAN'T BEAT GOOD TEAMS
Mid-Season: YOU'RE ONLY BEATING BAD TEAMS
Now: WE KNEW YOU WERE GOOD ALL ALONG
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #61
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Koppen, Brooking and Holliday. Any questions?

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #62
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I dont know that I'm gonna give the Seattle GM a **** ton of credit for drafting Russell Wilson in the third round. Here's the deal: if they knew Wilson would have this kind of an impact, and were so confident about that, he's a first round pick. This is like when Mike Shanahan got credit for drafting Terrell Davis in the 6th. As Shanny said then, if he were smart, he'd have drafted TD in the first.

But whatever. He did a good job, Elway did a good job, who gives a **** about a poll?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #63
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
All season it's been like that.

Pre-Season: DENVER SUCKS MANNING WON'T MAKE IT
Early Season: SEE YOU SUCK, CAN'T BEAT GOOD TEAMS
Mid-Season: YOU'RE ONLY BEATING BAD TEAMS
Now: WE KNEW YOU WERE GOOD ALL ALONG
Yeah, that's about right. That is why I have a problem with these so-called experts now saying that getting PM was a no-brainer. Because before the season started, many of these same guys were doubting if Manning could even make a basic throw, or even survive NFL type hits.

In addition to this, Elway took care of the Tebow "problem". That also was not an easy decision because if Manning ended up damaged goods, we all know the Tebowites would chased Elway out of town, or tried to, anyway.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #64
M. Zaiem Beg
zbeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I dont know that I'm gonna give the Seattle GM a **** ton of credit for drafting Russell Wilson in the third round. Here's the deal: if they knew Wilson would have this kind of an impact, and were so confident about that, he's a first round pick. This is like when Mike Shanahan got credit for drafting Terrell Davis in the 6th. As Shanny said then, if he were smart, he'd have drafted TD in the first.

But whatever. He did a good job, Elway did a good job, who gives a **** about a poll?
The draft is still about getting value. If you had a time machine and could go back to 1999, you don't ship two first round picks for Kurt Warner even though that would be a fair deal. You send a 7th rounder to the Rams and say "we need depth."

If you know a guy is great but his value is perceived as not so much, then you're wasting resources by taking him in the first round when you know you can get him later. If you had a time machine, you don't tell Shanahan to take Davis in the first round. You wait until the sixth because why on earth would you waste a first round pick on a guy that no other team has any desire taking on the first day?

That said, Elway and Schneider have both done great jobs this year. I think the fact that it's very close seems totally reasonable.

Last edited by M. Zaiem Beg; 12-30-2012 at 06:52 AM..
M. Zaiem Beg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #65
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

SB Nation's NFL bloggers voted on year-end awards and Elway, the Broncos executive VP, tops the list for Executive of the Year.

The results: John Elway (8)
John Schneider (5)
Bruce Allen (4)
Ryan Grigson (3)
Rick Smith (1)
Ted Thompson (1)
Thomas Dmitroff (1)

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12/...ear-john-elway
Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #66
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

So is this even a real award, and if so, who actually votes on it? Is this ESPN thing just an opinion poll, or did they make the final decision?
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #67
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

This is an awful lot of biased opinion that fails to look at the depth of the work these GM's actually did in all phases of the game.

All 3 Guys at the top are rightfully there, Schneider, Elway, and Grigson. All of them did superior work this season, and most of all they made a ton of actual roster moves that were extremely impactful on the team THIS SEASON. INDY and SEA especially are extremely young and have had a talent upgrade at a LOT of starting positions. All 3 have had tremendous drafts that have had real impact across the whole thing including the use of UDFA's. DEN has had the best success in acquiring VET FA's, followed by INDY, and then SEA trails there.

As someone who follows personnel across the NFL as a hobby, I feel these 3 guys are the right picks for the top 3 positions this season. As for the ESPN rationale on their Bloggers votes, its poor at best and revisionist and uses a ton of hindsight to support a flawed argument.

The best way to judge this to me is how many roster positions did they affect and how many did they upgrade. Then, take into account any superstar moves that panned out or did not pan out. Finally, is the team younger, healthier, and prepared to repeat the success they had this year with their team?

I'll do a roster assesment tomorrow when I have time and come back and show how these teams were built so well this year to win and have a shot at the playoffs.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #68
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

I'm not upset by it (this isn't the official one, right?), any of the top 3 guys deserve to win it for what they have done.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #69
Agamemnon

Schneider deserves it. Stop being a homer.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #70
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post

He was considered a 1st round talent if not for the height issues. The fact that Elway took beanpole boy instead of Russell should definitely count against him when assessing the job he's done as a GM this year.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #71
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Schneider deserves it. I'm mad at Elway for trading Tebow.
FYP
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #72
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
FYP
Elway has done a great job overall. I have no problem admitting that. And he also arguably deserves the award. But honestly, rolling the dice and winning with Manning doesn't feel quite on par with what Schneider has done overall as a GM.

And yes, I still disagree with how he handled Tebow. But I'm pretty much over it at this point for obvious reasons.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #73
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
He was considered a 1st round talent if not for the height issues. The fact that Elway took beanpole boy instead of Russell should definitely count against him when assessing the job he's done as a GM this year.
So you know that Wilson is going to be the better long-term prospect? Cause I don't. It's entirely possible that Brock will be the greatest of the whole class. We won't know for quite some time.

Stop being an anti-homer.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 AM   #74
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

13-3

Number One Seed

First Round Bye

11 Game Winning Streak.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #75
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Wilson couldn't run the offense Elway and Fox want though. They want traditional pocket passer hitting playmakers all over the field, Wilson relies on an elite running game and his own wheels too much for this offense.

How crazy is it that John Elway's ideal offense for today's NFL is damn near the polar opposite of what he thrived in as a player? Its an interesting insight into how one of the game's best views the current NFL. A young Elway would be the prototype for a spread option offense but while much of the league is buying it hard Elway is looking to go the opposite direction and stick with pocket passers.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote