The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #26
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I can see the points with Seattle but I wonder how the Colts GM gets 4 votes ahead of the 2 front runners.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Typical ESPN.

He only signed Manning? First of all, I like how Grigson gets 4 votes for drafting Luck. Manning was a free agent. He could have played wherever he wanted. Luck had no choice.

And then also, all in all, the Broncos have drafted OK under Elway.

You could also look at other FA acquisitions that have been solid. Holiday, the DT last year (that Im blanking on) who went to the Saints, McGahee, Adams.
Broderick Bunkley. Wow I haven't heard that name in forever.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #28
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
So they signed a huge mega bust and still gets GM of the year? Would Elway be GM of the year if Manning didn't play and Os took yus to the playoffs?
We don't know he's a "mega bust" since he's not playing. And he'll be gone next year so it will only be a one year mistake. When your rookie QB is playing this well it's pretty easy to forgive and forget Flynn..

And to your second question, yes, perhaps Elway would be in consideration for this "award" in your scenario as well.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #29
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

EAST COAST BIAS !!!
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #30
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
EAST COAST BIAS !!!
Clearly!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #31
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
We don't know he's a "mega bust" since he's not playing. And he'll be gone next year so it will only be a one year mistake. When your rookie QB is playing this well it's pretty easy to forgive and forget Flynn..

And to your second question, yes, perhaps Elway would be in consideration for this "award" in your scenario as well.
Yeah we don't know Flynn is a one year costly mistake. Signing one of thr biggest FA bust of the offseason doesn't sound like GM of the year to me.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #32
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

No award matters more than NFL Champion.....

Pop quiz...

Who was the NFL's first executive of the year award winner?

Now, who won the first SB?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #33
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bowlen’s Legacy

The Duke wuz robbed!

Now the squad will be super fired up and angry tomorrow.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #34
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Guyz come on, you all know Seattle is a huge media market, and ESPN totally caters to the big boys.

Typical!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #35
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Take away the obvious moves, the moves your mom would know to make — signing Manning [Elway]

While there is some validity to this point, the comment needs to go one step further. How about the moves your mom would know to make if she could. Afterall, it was Denver that did land Manning, not AZ, Tenn, SF, Miami, or anyone else that was interested. Secondly, Manning was no sure fire thing to begin with, or have the folks at Espin forgotten that Espin was reporting in August that Manning couldn't make the throws?
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #36
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
We know from the bickering on this board in the offseason that bringing in Manning was not a no-brainer.
no, we know from the bickering on this board that 25% of the mane are colossal idiots
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #37
Nwp-Apap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
OK, look at Bunkley. He brought in Bunkley. Bunkley made a big difference last year. Then this year, instead of overpaying him, they let Bunkley walk and haven't really missed him. He was able to walk that line of identifying a guy who could contribute but then had the discipline to not fall too much in love with him because he made you look good.

It kind of seems like where this is going is that Wilson was a lower round pick, therefore it should be Schneider. Sorry but if he knew Wilson was going to be this good, he would have drafted him sooner. That's like saying Pioli was great because NE got lucky with Brady.
Josh McDaniesl acquired Bunkley
Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #38
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Isn't there a more reputable source that decides this award - ESPN give be a break

As for the Seattle GM, he's the guy that paid a QB 8 mil to sit on the bench and than there was that sweet (for SD) trade with SD for their 3 string QB that is no longer with the Seahawks.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #39
FearLanier

Schneider deserves it this year. People said Bruce Irvin was a huge reach, Bobby Wagner didn't get that much credit coming out and we all know how the Russell Wilson situation went down.

Look at the drafts since Schneider stepped in the building. They have hit on several picks on each of their 3 drafts under him.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #40
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Didn't Schneider and Carroll blunder their way into Denver to try to get Manning to sign there? ...uh....yes.... without great effect.

Quote:
One more surprise: Manning got a call informing him that Seahawks coach Pete Carroll had flown, unannounced, with Seattle G.M. John Schneider to the airport in Englewood. Carroll would do whatever Manning wanted—talk for a while in Denver or on the plane to Arizona, his next visit, or fly him to Seattle for a lengthier discussion.

Peyton Manning does not like surprises. He said no thanks. Carroll flew home.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...23/3/index.htm

So then they break the bank for Matt Flynn - who is the most overrated backup in the history of sports (except for Kevin Kolb, of course) - then draft a QB that ends up winning the starting job.....admittedly a great pick.

So you get ESPN GM votes for you if you whiff on a superstar, overpay for a backup that you think can start BASED ON ONE GAME AT GREEN BAY (did anybody see Flynn play more than one game? Brilliant move, Schneider) and luck out on a mid range pick for a QB that is pushed to the front of the depth chart, because Flynn sucks, and then has a great year.

I'm not knocking Russell Wilson; I'm just questioning the wisdom of the ESPNdits that reward a GM that keeps whiffing and then accidentally bloops a single.

Last edited by DarkHorse30; 12-29-2012 at 06:29 PM..
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #41
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwp-Apap View Post
Josh McDaniesl acquired Bunkley
The **** he did.
http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/8...nkley-in-trade

McD was fired in 2010
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #42
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
Didn't Schneider and Carroll blunder their way into Denver to try to get Manning to sign there? ...uh....yes.... without great effect.

So then they break the bank for Matt Flynn - who is the most overrated backup in the history of sports (except for Kevin Kolb, of course) - then draft a QB that ends up winning the starting job.....admittedly a great pick.

So you get ESPN GM votes for you if you whiff on a superstar, overpay for a backup that you think can start BASED ON ONE GAME AT GREEN BAY (did anybody see Flynn play more than one game? Brilliant move, Schneider) and luck out on a mid range pick for a QB that is pushed to the front of the depth chart, because Flynn sucks, and then has a great year.

I'm not knocking Russell Wilson; I'm just questioning the wisdom of the ESPNdits that reward a GM that keeps whiffing and then accidentally bloops a single.
The Seahawks draft this year has been by far the best of any team. The top 3 picks are stars in the making.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #43
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:

IMO you don't get this both ways. If we're going to skewer a guy for the bad Flynn contract, you don't then get to say he just "got lucky" on Wilson.

If that's the case, you could argue that he was unlucky with Flynn but Wilson was a genius pick.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #44
Bacchus

nothing to see here, just win the SB who cares about regular season accolades.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #45
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Missing by one vote isn't chopped liver. Elway beat by a mile 30 other GM's, not bad for a guy that never worked in that capacity or even close to it.

We all know John is #1 in our hearts.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #46
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
Schneider deserves it this year. People said Bruce Irvin was a huge reach, Bobby Wagner didn't get that much credit coming out and we all know how the Russell Wilson situation went down.

Look at the drafts since Schneider stepped in the building. They have hit on several picks on each of their 3 drafts under him.
ok sure, fact is Seattle has made some very questionable moves in the last few years and to Scheider's credit, it seems to be working. However, Elway has had just 2 years to completely turn the Broncos around and he's done it. He's also a fresh faced, brand new GM. He didn't make any fancy or questionable moves outside of dumping Tebow and his team is 12-3. The Manning signing was not a given, not even close. The Broncos were not even considered serious contenders is the Manning sweepstakes when it all began. Elway, to his credit, simple did it better than all the rest.

I can see the point about Schnieder, but then again, I'm not seeing it. Just because the guy scored on a few iffy moves, does not necessarily mean he did a good job. Let's see him do this iffy stuff for a few more years and then see how it all pans out.

I'm still not sold on Pete Carroll.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #47
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
The **** he did.
http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/8...nkley-in-trade

McD was fired in 2010
Don't even bother. You got geniuses like Rhymes, Tony, Lanier, and NWP in this thread. You'll be correcting people all night.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #48
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Wow, so wrong. He whiffed on Manning (how many teams acquired and wanted him? Titans? 49ers? Cardinals? Chiefs? Seahawks?). He hasn't been in Seattle long enough to keep "whiffing". He grabbed Flynn and he sat on the bench because Schnieder didn't hit a single in Wilson. He did his homework and drafted one of the better QBs of this season! That isn't a single in my books but a homerun in the 3rd round (every team had at least 2 chances to get him ... well not the Raiders of course.)

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Elway is still the man.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #49
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Seattle went 7-9 last season and wasn't considered a contender before the season and they've looked like the best team in the league the last 3 weeks and are the "team nobody wants to play" in the playoffs. Clearly Schneider did something right.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #50
MillerMayhem58

When seattle wins more than 1 or 2 road a games a year let me know cause until then they're still the joke we used to beat twice a year. I miss those automatic wins