The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you consider the current Broncos an elite team?
Yes, we have all the ingredients from top to bottom 52 39.10%
No, shouldn't even be a question at this point. 5 3.76%
We're close let's see what we do in the playoffs that is the measure of elite 66 49.62%
It takes more than one season of playing at a high level before you can be considered elite. 10 7.52%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #76
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Considering that I think Denver is the overall best team in the league right now, yes I obviously consider them elite.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #77
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

It's pretty sad when Denver fans worry about the regular season, that is what KC fans do, get all excited because they won the divison and then go one and out.

What you do in the playoffs is all that matters. We are Denver, get your **** together people.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #78
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
It's pretty sad when Denver fans worry about the regular season, that is what KC fans do, get all excited because they won the divison and then go one and out.

What you do in the playoffs is all that matters. We are Denver, get your **** together people.
you are stoopid. It's entrainment it is about enjoying it. I have enjoyed the regular season it was fun. If the Broncos lose in the first round it does not take away the enjoyment I have already had this year.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #79
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

This team is elite, 2nd best point differential in the league, longest win streak in the league this year. This year is the first time since the last super bowl team we have a top offense and a top defense.

The eliteness of a team can be judged by realistic expectation, I think right now the Denver Broncos could only play in 2 of 62 possible games that we would not be favoured to win: @Seattle, @New England. I believe no other team in the league has a better rate of being favoured in all possible matchups.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #80
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Playoffs is where we'll find out.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #81
capt. Jack

NO, win the Super Bowl and we will think about it! Right now we are a Good team, that hasn't won anything other than the weak West division.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #82
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Elite = The best of the best
Championship = The best of the best
If we win it we are if dont we arnt. fact.
Arkansas Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #83
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Bronco View Post
Elite = The best of the best
Championship = The best of the best
If we win it we are if dont we arnt. fact.
Were the NYG elite last year?

Were the 2005 Steelers elite?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #84
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
This team is elite, 2nd best point differential in the league, longest win streak in the league this year. This year is the first time since the last super bowl team we have a top offense and a top defense.

The eliteness of a team can be judged by realistic expectation, I think right now the Denver Broncos could only play in 2 of 62 possible games that we would not be favoured to win: @Seattle, @New England. I believe no other team in the league has a better rate of being favoured in all possible matchups.

I started this poll in part to see how we all defined the word "elite"

I my opinion gyldenlove has come up with the best definition of the word as it relates to a pro football team.

It was interesting to see the wide variation of how people defined "elite".
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #85
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

we have had a very good season but the fact remains that we really haven't played very many good teams during our winning streak. If you are basing elite status on numbers, I think you have to consider our opponents.

When you really watch this team, I think the sum is greater than the parts, especially on defense. Guys like Mike Adams, Jim Leonard, some of our defensive linemen.. these aren't great players. But they are getting it done for the most part. I think that is a sign of great coaching and scheme. However, when the playoffs come we will see how good this team really is and although I think we have a defense that can keep us in games and at times be dominant against elite offenses, I wouldn't expect to hold the Patriots below 25.

TLDR: Elite? I don't think so but I could be wrong.

PS: We really don't need to be elite to win the super bowl, just opportunistic and effective.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #86
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
we have had a very good season but the fact remains that we really haven't played very many good teams during our winning streak. If you are basing elite status on numbers, I think you have to consider our opponents.

When you really watch this team, I think the sum is greater than the parts, especially on defense. Guys like Mike Adams, Jim Leonard, some of our defensive linemen.. these aren't great players. But they are getting it done for the most part. I think that is a sign of great coaching and scheme. However, when the playoffs come we will see how good this team really is and although I think we have a defense that can keep us in games and at times be dominant against elite offenses, I wouldn't expect to hold the Patriots below 25.

TLDR: Elite? I don't think so but I could be wrong.

PS: We really don't need to be elite to win the super bowl, just opportunistic and effective.
In all reality,every season an elite team is going to have 6-10 opponents that are easy wins. Look at the patriots, at a minimum they have 6 easy wins a yr being in the afc east.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #87
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

During our 10 game win streak we're winning by an avg. 13.6 points a game.14.9 if you include all 12 wins.
10.4 if losses are included. Not too shabby.

Last edited by peacepipe; 12-29-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #88
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
During our 10 game win streak we're winning by an avg. 13.6 points a game.14.9 if you include all 12 wins.
Not bad. Means nothing if we do nothing in the playoffs
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #89
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
Not bad. Means nothing if we do nothing in the playoffs
That's the case for any team going into the playoffs.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #90
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
That point 4 is huge.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #91
Agamemnon

I get the impression a lot of people don't actually understand what the word 'elite' means.

Presently the Broncos are one of the best teams in the NFL. Therefore they are elite.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #92
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I started this poll in part to see how we all defined the word "elite"

I my opinion gyldenlove has come up with the best definition of the word as it relates to a pro football team.

It was interesting to see the wide variation of how people defined "elite".
Why dont you take the perspective of the players. None of them would even respond to this question until they have accomplished something in the postseason. Even if you asked them off the record. Can you imagine the look Manning or Champ would give you. They do this for a living, they realize how difficult and how fine a line it takes to play at an elite level. We think we know but do any of us really know.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #93
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
That's the case for any team going into the playoffs.
So why are we so quick to hang a mantle on a team that has no sense of accomplishment behind it. No playoff victories in a given season puts you in the same status as 26 other teams. Doesn't sound very elite to me.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #94
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Why dont you take the perspective of the players. None of them would even respond to this question until they have accomplished something in the postseason. Even if you asked them off the record. Can you imagine the look Manning or Champ would give you. They do this for a living, they realize how difficult and how fine a line it takes to play at an elite level. We think we know but do any of us really know.

Doesn't work - It's like asking a women if she thinks she is a 10.

Last edited by baja; 12-29-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #95
Mouth

Quote:
So why are we so quick to hang a mantle on a team that has no sense of accomplishment behind it. No playoff victories in a given season puts you in the same status as 26 other teams. Doesn't sound very elite to me.
We do it because we are fans. Since the vast majority of us have no effect on the team, we like to feel like we are a part of it. There is really no point in the 2-3 hours of pre-game coverage, but people watch it. Also, the talking heads on TV like to make themselves sound smart.

Mouth
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #96
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I get the impression a lot of people don't actually understand what the word 'elite' means.

Presently the Broncos are one of the best teams in the NFL. Therefore they are elite.
I look at it this way we have only proved we can beat avg banged up or lousy teams. To me that isn't elite just good team having a great fun year. The playoffs will show how far we progressed this year. Going in I think we are the 3rd best team in afc playoffs behind NE and Houston . Can we beat them sure but, we need to prove it before I call this team elite.

I don't see any team clearly better then the other this year.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 12-29-2012 at 10:48 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #97
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Wow what a bunch of old ladies pissing and moaning about a mythical thing.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #98
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You apparently don't comprehend what elite is. Either way there are 32 teams in the NFL,anything the patriots ,packers,texans accomplished doesn't mean a thing if they lose in the first round. So by your standard there are no elite teams.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #99
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

I guess it depends on what your definition of elite is.

Is Denver an Elite NFL team this year? Of course
No way you can say that. Our record is 2-3 against teams that will make the playoffs. The Bengals and the Ravens who have fallen off a cliff in the last month because of injuries.

This team has not done anything yet that is worthy of being called elite. They've handled the weak teams on their schedule; that is all.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #100
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
You apparently don't comprehend what elite is. Either way there are 32 teams in the NFL,anything the patriots ,packers,texans accomplished doesn't mean a thing if they lose in the first round. So by your standard there are no elite teams.
maybe you judge a team Elite by after the season has ended. Easy to judge the Super Bowl winner as elite. Not as easy if they don't make the SB or don't win it. I think there are Elite teams currently (to this point). I just want to see us beat some of those good teams which gives us that opportunity in the 2nd round.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote