The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you consider the current Broncos an elite team?
Yes, we have all the ingredients from top to bottom 52 39.10%
No, shouldn't even be a question at this point. 5 3.76%
We're close let's see what we do in the playoffs that is the measure of elite 66 49.62%
It takes more than one season of playing at a high level before you can be considered elite. 10 7.52%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #51
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I don't think the giants are an elite team last year. Yet they won the SB. Playoff success are all about the hot team getting hot at the right time. Playing their best at the most important times. Someone mentioned SD 14-2 but tailing off in the playoffs. Green Bay is doing it right now. Wouldn't be surprised if they go to the SB
That's exactly why I said you need to define elite more. Sure the Giants won the Superbowl last year but they sure as hell don't look elite right now. Remember last year the Giants didn't just get hot in the playoffs, they started playing well the last several weeks of the season as well. This year, not so much. They're not elite, this year. So IMO, if you're gonna have people vote on something as vague as "are they elite" we have to have some context in which we are judging.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #52
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I would add just a few things. A viable back up to Manning (The Broncos needed to have hit on OSweiler). We need to find a good young smart MLB.

Obviously we have other needs but these are the deal breakers to elite.
Ok, this is now an issue of semantics. I think "elite" can last for the short term (1-3 years of domination). Your points might have more to do with the other word - dynasty.

If we can "consumate" our win streak by beating the teams that beat us early in the season, we have every right to use the word "elite." The Osweiler thing and future players/drafts are more about the "dynasty" thing.

Anyway, I don't care much about media classifications, but I love watching this team continue to develop. We are kicking ass, and really playing solid team football. Another spectacular Broncos season to watch (compliments of Elway).
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #53
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Ok, this is now an issue of semantics. I think "elite" can last for the short term (1-3 years of domination). Your points might have more to do with the other word - dynasty.

If we can "consumate" our win streak by beating the teams that beat us early in the season, we have every right to use the word "elite." The Osweiler thing and future players/drafts are more about the "dynasty" thing.

Anyway, I don't care much about media classifications, but I love watching this team continue to develop. We are kicking ass, and really playing solid team football. Another spectacular Broncos season to watch (compliments of Elway).
Well ya I was leaning more toward elite / dynasty with the Elway elite GM post and continued along the same lines when I quoted and added to your post. but I agree they are for sure fun as hell to watch. When you are playing the Chiefs on Sunday you gotta hunt for stuff to talk about. Not saying we got an automatic win here but there is not much to analyze.

Think we can hold Charles to under 100 yards?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #54
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
My point is that for everyone worrying about NE, those people shouldn't be calling this team elite.
So in order to be elite, you must be head and shoulders above every other team?
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #55
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

We are a team nobody wants to play. Does that mean we are elite
Old 12-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #56
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
So in order to be elite, you must be head and shoulders above every other team?
Yes.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #57
troyjbath
Probably Drunk

Long time lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
How do we know that nobody wants to play the Broncos? Just because the talking heads at ESPN and NFL network say so? I doubt Belichick and Kubiak are losing sleep over the Broncos right now. I also doubt that Fox and Manning are worried about the Pats. They won't waste a second thinking about the other team until they're the next opponent in the playoffs.
troyjbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #58
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyjbath View Post
How do we know that nobody wants to play the Broncos? Just because the talking heads at ESPN and NFL network say so? I doubt Belichick and Kubiak are losing sleep over the Broncos right now. I also doubt that Fox and Manning are worried about the Pats. They won't waste a second thinking about the other team until they're the next opponent in the playoffs.
Why would they want to play at team on a ten game winning streak that is ranked top 5 in both offense and defense. Answer, they don't.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #59
troyjbath
Probably Drunk

Long time lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Why would they want to play at team on a ten game winning streak that is ranked top 5 in both offense and defense. Answer, they don't.

Do you really think that Brady, Gronk, and Welker will be sitting on the Pats jet thinking to themselves "Wow, I really don't want to go play the Broncos. Those guys are top 5 in offense and defense"? Hell no....they'll be thinking "We're going to go destroy Denver in front of their home crowd"
Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #60
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:

Do you really think that Brady, Gronk, and Welker will be sitting on the Pats jet thinking to themselves "Wow, I really don't want to go play the Broncos. Those guys are top 5 in offense and defense"? Hell no....they'll be thinking "We're going to go destroy Denver in front of their home crowd"
No deep down where that nagging voice lives they know they won't beat the Broncos in Denver. No, no matter how hard they tell themselves just what you said they can't shake that voice that says, "Go to Denver and you are dog meat"

See I got just as much right to mind reading as you.

Go on ask your own little voice about playing NE.in Denver. Mine is singing "No Problem Dude".
Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #61
troyjbath
Probably Drunk

Long time lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
No deep down where that nagging voice lives they know they won't beat the Broncos in Denver. No, no matter how hard they tell themselves just what you said they can't shake that voice that says, "Go to Denver and you are dog meat"

See I got just as much right to mind reading as you.

Go on ask your own little voice about playing NE.in Denver. Mine is singing "No Problem Dude".
Here's my point Baja: What the fans and talking heads think doesn't matter. What you and I think doesn't matter. NFL coaches and players aren't paid to be scared of other teams, home or away. Each team spends the week preparing to win the next football game. When the ball leaves the tee, both teams are expecting to win the game.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #62
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Here's my point Baja: What the fans and talking heads think doesn't matter. What you and I think doesn't matter. NFL coaches and players aren't paid to be scared of other teams, home or away. Each team spends the week preparing to win the next football game. When the ball leaves the tee, both teams are expecting to win the game.

Well that's the way it's supposed to work but there are lots of shades of gray on this. I am sure the coaches hope they have erased all doubts but that is impossible. It's why you see some teams just going through the motions because they know the will lose. Or how about letting a team you should beat hang around, they make a play and than play with renewed passion because they now thing they can win. My point is attitude and belief are a big part of this game.

But in the end I agree with you it's the playoffs and nobody fears anyone at least they better not.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #63
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Some teams thrive on going on the road and winning big games. NE isn't one of them.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #64
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
I bet NE does.

NE in last 3 games reminds me of the Colts with Peyton vs Denver. Denver needs a perfect game to beat them. Denver might prove it in playoffs but, until the trend changes we are not elite.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #65
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I bet NE does.

NE in last 3 games reminds me of the Colts with Peyton vs Denver. Denver needs a perfect game to beat them. Denver might prove it in playoffs but, until the trend changes we are not elite.

Teams NE would rather play over playing the Broncos in Denver;

1.Houston

2. Indy

3. Cinci

4. Ravens in NE.

Do you agree?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #66
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
According to poll voting so far 88% think the current Broncos are either elite or near elite.

Will we still be elite if we are one and done in the playoffs?

Exactly. This is a world of what did you do today (at least very recently). Watch. If the Broncos go one and out in the playoffs, the national media and every non-Bronco fan around the country will poopoo the success of this year. The experts will come out and explain how it was just smoke and mirrors with the team playing six games (division) against poor competition, inflating the Bronco record. Add that to some of the weaker non-division opponents.

Everyone knows that the playoff pressure is nothing like the regular season where you know have another opportunity to correct your mistakes. The noose gets a whole lot tighter on every player and coach on the team. Expectations with the fans are raised much higher.

Someone said it earlier very clear. Elite teams can go anywhere, against anyone, against the playoff adversity and not fold. They simply win. Why was Jack Nicklaus an ELITE golfer. It isn't just because he had great talent. There are many golfers (and teams) with great talent. When the pressure was on, Jack didn't fold while everyone around him was throwing up on themselves. He didn't do it just once, he did it again and again and again.

There has to be a level of consistency and a record of performance over time. Why are repeat Superbowl victories so respected. It places you on pedestal of performance not many can match. That is an elite team. I am not stating you need repeat Superbowl victories to be elite. But what makes you elite, what separates you from the very, very good. Results above everyone around you.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #67
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

It's silly to throw out a term like "Elite" before a team has even won a playoff game. I wouldn't even begin to consider it until a team wins a SB.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #68
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
I don't believe this for a second. They may say they worry only about the next game but you know everyone of them is picturing the Super bowl in there heads. I bet you they are planning more on who they think they will play in the playoff rather then a worthless KC team.
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #69
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

I still think Brady and Belicheck will have no problem carving up this Broncos defense. Hopefully we'll get to see a rematch in Denver.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #70
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

This is a failed thread.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #71
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

People don't understand me because I'm bosshog on candy.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #72
Mouth

When I watch our games, I still think we're missing one or two pieces on defense. I also think our offense is under-achieving. That being said, I like our chances this year, and if we can stay healthy/keep the team together, we'll be truly dominating next year. Just too many mistakes this year. Nobody beats the broncos, quite like the broncos can.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #73
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
I don't believe this for a second. They may say they worry only about the next game but you know everyone of them is picturing the Super bowl in there heads. I bet you they are planning more on who they think they will play in the playoff rather then a worthless KC team.
Absolutely coaches are preparing for different scenarios in the playoff run. It would be stupid not to spend time preparing for potential matchups.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #74
troyjbath
Probably Drunk

Long time lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
/facepalm I'm glad you're not coaching. This is the NFL, you can't overlook teams even if they're terrible.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #75
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
It's silly to throw out a term like "Elite" before a team has even won a playoff game. I wouldn't even begin to consider it until a team wins a SB.

I guess it depends on what your definition of elite is.

Is Denver an Elite NFL team this year? Of course

Is Denver an elite NFL team of all time? Too early to tell.