The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #51
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Bowlen should sell all the shares to the people of Colorado. Let the people be the owner. John can keep his shares though
Excellent idea!

It worked in Green Bay. Why not in Colorado?
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #52
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Right, but the example works, from a structural perspective. He started with a minority interest, and has acquired and sold various pieces over the years. But when you ask any sports fan who owns the Raiders, they will answer, "Al Davis." Now, they might answer, "That creepy Albino dude with the bowl haircut" - but I digress.

And, in fairness, "John Elway" to a lifetime Raiders fan is probably just as dirty a term as "Al Davis" is to us.

But, in defense of us, we have this image to put to the name:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAKE THE SCARY MAN GO AWAY MAKE IT GO AWAY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY MAKE IT GO AWAY <--- lord i apologize but mother F thats scary
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #53
swaiy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post

Perfect.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #54
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Nope. Sold those.
Wrong! He owns dealerships and there are two of them in California. One used to be Crown Toyota/Acura in Rancho Cucamonga. He also owned one with my cousin before selling it. He just sold the ones tied to the big $85 million deal in Colorado.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #55
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Nope. Sold those.
Still owns two I believe.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #56
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Wrong! He owns dealerships and there are two of them in California. One used to be Crown Toyota/Acura in Rancho Cucamonga. He also owned one with my cousin before selling it. He just sold the ones tied to the big $85 million deal in Colorado.
Was just about to post this. I think he also owns the one in manhattan beach.

http://iphone.crowntoyota.com/index.htm#index_p_2Ehtm
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #57
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
Elway + Manning ownership
+1

There is no doubt Elway is positioning himself to one day own the team. He'll need help, which is why I really like the Manning idea. Random, and who knows if it actually has a chance, but exciting!
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #58
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

I think scrooge mcduck has first dibs
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #59
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
True, but the thought that they would get as pissy as Kaiser did, who ultimately lost his suit against Bowlen, by the way, is unlikely. They were never direct owners and as I understand are pretty "Canadian" up there and their interest in the Broncos is pretty small beyond the financial aspect.

The other thing is Bowlen could begin to sell more of his shares of the franchise over to Elway - especially if no one in the family wants to run things. If Elway could secure 20% of the team in the next decade, it wouldn't be hard to get a group together to buy the rest.
Hell, its not like anyone knows what Elway's compensation for being President of Football Operations entails. For all we know Bowlen is already paying him with team shares. He did try to give Elway 7% when he retired after all.

I'd expect when Pat is too old to effectively manage the team or passes away he and Elway will have a succession plan in place whereby Elway takes over day to day ownership while a group of partners help fund the buyout of Bowlen's family. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Elway has already set up an agreement with Manning which sees him buy in as well.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #60
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Hell, its not like anyone knows what Elway's compensation for being President of Football Operations entails. For all we know Bowlen is already paying him with team shares. He did try to give Elway 7% when he retired after all.

I'd expect when Pat is too old to effectively manage the team or passes away he and Elway will have a succession plan in place whereby Elway takes over day to day ownership while a group of partners help fund the buyout of Bowlen's family. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Elway has already set up an agreement with Manning which sees him buy in as well.
That's a good point. We don't know how Elway is getting paid. Options in the team could be part of his compensation. Also remember they've been partners before with the arena league, so it's not like Elway and Bowlen haven't been in contact for the past decade.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #61
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Stop with all of your nonsense. The NFL is a good investment and Elway would have the investors lined up in a heartbeat to buy the Broncos if that was something he wanted to do when Pat dies, if his kids want to sell it.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #62
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
very true. honestly wouldn't mind Elway as owner and Peyton as executive VP.
that would be hella sweet and the recruiting potential would be insane.
Time to make Peyton the VP next year. Pay him $24 mil for that job and $1 mil to QB the Broncos.

Think about the cap savings!
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #63
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Time to make Peyton the VP next year. Pay him $24 mil for that job and $1 mil to QB the Broncos.

**** YOU AL!

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #64
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's a good point. We don't know how Elway is getting paid. Options in the team could be part of his compensation. Also remember they've been partners before with the arena league, so it's not like Elway and Bowlen haven't been in contact for the past decade.
It also negates the Kaiser deal in a strictly legalese sense, since the option Kaiser held was the ability to match someone else's buying price. You can't really argue that Kaiser can match Elway's "price" - services rendered as team president.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #65
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
Elway + Manning ownership
I do think Elway will try and keep Manning around after his playing days as a partial owner and/or a front office position. Manning will have offers from the Colts(maybe if they patch things up) + offers from the networks.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #66
uplink
Ring of Famer

As well as Elway is doing, Bowlen will know the broncos are in good hands if he sells to Elway. That means a lot, its not just about money for Bowlen.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #67
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Peyton already bought into the Memphis Grizzlies, don't know that he would want to own both (though I'm sure he could if he wants to)
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #68
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

And that is why the NFL does not allow teams to do that.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #69
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Peyton already bought into the Memphis Grizzlies, don't know that he would want to own both (though I'm sure he could if he wants to)
I'm sure he'd much rather be a minority owner of a pro football team than a pro basketball team.

A lot of guys in Manning's situation (star athlete) can buy in to other pro sports teams easily because that is the circle they travel in via their agents, lawyers, etc.. If the opportunity arrives to buy in to something like that most savvy financial managers would strongly encourage it, since stable sports franchises have great growth rates and are therefore a great way to turn a quick profit.

Michael Jordan parlayed minority ownership in the Washington Wizards into a much larger share in the Charlotte Bobcats with this tactic. A lot of minority owners in baseball have done the same thing. Guys like Manning get the best pricing because of his name and the average fan "cred" it gives the group, and then once a new TV deal gets struck or something similar and revenues jump you cash out at a significant mark up.

Hell, Manning will probably have the means to be a 10-20% owner in a franchise if he really wants to when he gets done, given his current salary, past salaries, huge list of endorsement deals, and other investments.