The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default OT- Windows 8 or a MacBook?

I need a laptop for work, hopefully someone has had a chance to get familiar with Windows 8. I used to sell computers but that was almost 2 years ago so I'm a bit out of the game. I've always used Windows PCs although for the last year I've been enjoying using my iPad and iPhone and the allure of compatibility to a MacBook is compelling. I also have a full version of Windows 7 that I could run in Parallels or Boot Camp on the machine, the downside would obviously be cost. Probably about $1500 for what I want.

On the flip side, I could go with a Windows 8 PC. I would lose the syncing between the computer and Apple devices but that seems like more of a luxury than necessity. The Windows PC would do everything I need for less, probably around $800. So I'm wondering if the cost difference is worth it going with the Mac. Has anyone had experience with Windows 8? I played with the beta but I'm sure it's different now. Thanks!

Last edited by montrose; 12-27-2012 at 08:52 PM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

You won't go wrong with a Mac.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

My next computer will be be a Mac. I have slowly converted for much the same reason as yourself, iPad and iPhone
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

If you have an iPad & iPhone get the Mac. It's a no brainer really. iCloud by itself is reason enough, factor in all the other apps that display across all your Apple devices and clearly a no brainer.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

With all of the apple fanbois (see: blind mice, sheeple, etc.) you are bound to get tons of recommendations for the macbook. I implore you to head to a windows store and check out the new windows 8 products. I, personally, was blown away by it. So much so that I immediately traded in my android for a WP8 phone. Next on the list is definitely a W8 laptop.

Good luck.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
CHANGSTER
You are a pizza burn...

on the roof of the world's mouth

I'm really not a fan of Windows 8. It's a version built for tablets that's supposed to be user friendly but comes across as dumbed down. And it makes everything take a second longer when you have to hold your cursor at the edge of the screen to get a menu open. It's pretty good for people who aren't exactly "computer people", though.
CHANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I honestly think this generation, both sides have just about flawless offerings in terms of OS, they really are great, both of them, you can't go wrong with either one.

I think it comes down to products, i'm a big fan specific ones such as the snap on tablet w8 devices and the macbook air - what i'm typing on.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I haven't used Win8 but if your thinking about cost already I would go that rout, I have an iPhone and can sync it fine on my Win7 pc, I hate iTunes and the Apple calendar but I don't think you need to spend all that money just because your worried about syncing.

You can get much better hardware cheaper in the Windows platform.

Good luck, tell me how Win 8 is.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Mac in a heartbeat if for no other reason I do not have to buy virus programs to keep my unit free of crap.

Some day I might have to but not now.

If you want to run windows on the Mac you can. Not sure why you would but you can.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

In the past 8 years I've purchased 8 laptops. 3 years ago is when I purchased my last laptop, a MacBook. It's has held up better than any pc I've ever owned. There was a steep learning curve for me to get used to the OS, but I love it now. Had to download Firefox for a few of the websites I use for work, but most things are now Mac compatible.

Since getting a MacBook my wife quit her Lenovo and bought a MacBook and we bought a used iMac for a desktop. There are still glitches with the machines, but my problem solving time, virus chasing time, and general load times are just less on the Mac.

There's a reason apple has such a devoted following.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I need a laptop for work, hopefully someone has had a chance to get familiar with Windows 8. I used to sell computers but that was almost 2 years ago so I'm a bit out of the game. I've always used Windows PCs although for the last year I've been enjoying using my iPad and iPhone and the allure of compatibility to a MacBook is compelling. I also have a full version of Windows 7 that I could run in Parallels or Boot Camp on the machine, the downside would obviously be cost. Probably about $1500 for what I want.

On the flip side, I could go with a Windows 8 PC. I would lose the syncing between the computer and Apple devices but that seems like more of a luxury than necessity. The Windows PC would do everything I need for less, probably around $800. So I'm wondering if the cost difference is worth it going with the Mac. Has anyone had experience with Windows 8? I played with the beta but I'm sure it's different now. Thanks!
What do you do for work Montrose?
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
In the past 8 years I've purchased 8 laptops. 3 years ago is when I purchased my last laptop, a MacBook. It's has held up better than any pc I've ever owned. There was a steep learning curve for me to get used to the OS, but I love it now. Had to download Firefox for a few of the websites I use for work, but most things are now Mac compatible.

Since getting a MacBook my wife quit her Lenovo and bought a MacBook and we bought a used iMac for a desktop. There are still glitches with the machines, but my problem solving time, virus chasing time, and general load times are just less on the Mac.

There's a reason apple has such a devoted following.
Counterpoint: All of the developers at my company have either Macbook Air's or Macbook Pro's. Our failure rate is higher than at my previous venture where we mostly used cheap Dell's.

Our average lifespan for a Macbook Pro is about 1.5 years. Which is good for a developers machine, but not fantastic. We're forced into it as all of our developers touch iOS at some point.

Last edited by enjolras; 12-27-2012 at 10:31 PM..
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Neither.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

If you have used a Pc forever the Mac is actually a pain in the ass. Windows 8 is nice and runs very well. I would download the app to get the start menu back though

Btw I have an iPad and iPhone 5 and they sync just fine with windows 8

Last edited by DenverBroncosJM; 12-27-2012 at 10:44 PM..
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Im in the same boat. I have an iPad and Galaxy S3. I like android better than iphone but rather have apple os on cpu and tablet.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Speaking as someone who has been a PC guy for most if his life, Windows 8 is truly a hideously, hilarious attemp to be visually relevant if it was 1998. The new interface is absurd and desperate. I'll probably still run both pc and Mac in my house but Microsoft just keeps making it harder and harder for me to care.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Good rule to follow.....Never buy a Windows OS until at least service pack 2 comes out, unless you like to be a tortured lab rat fed bugs.
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Macs are expensive and impossible to improve. Get a pc with windows 7.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #19
Rolandftw

Go with Linux.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #20
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Mac in a heartbeat if for no other reason I do not have to buy virus programs to keep my unit free of crap.

Some day I might have to but not now.

If you want to run windows on the Mac you can. Not sure why you would but you can.
Ignorance is bliss.

Same goes for Iphones. Andriods have been putting out superior hardware and features for years.

Didn't Apple just advertise a "Bigger screen" and "Panoramic Pictures"? Lol.

I'm not saying Apple is a bad product. But Apple Products are like the Beats Headphones of the industry now. Nothing more than a status symbol.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #21
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

I build my own PC's, so I have a bias towards Windows machines, but if I was going to buy a laptop and money was no object I'd get a Mac. If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, do NOT buy a Macbook. If you have tons of cash to spend, Mac's really are a great product. They look great. They work great. They feel great. Mac is the best design company in the world at present. They just aren't great value and good luck getting one fixed for cheap once your Apple Care runs out.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #22
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Neither.
SO rufus.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #23
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
I build my own PC's, so I have a bias towards Windows machines, but if I was going to buy a laptop and money was no object I'd get a Mac. If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, do NOT buy a Macbook. If you have tons of cash to spend, Mac's really are a great product. They look great. They work great. They feel great. Mac is the best design company in the world at present. They just aren't great value and good luck getting one fixed for cheap once your Apple Care runs out.

Apple Care is three years. once that runs out the machine is out dated. Laptops are basically a throw away product with a 3 year life span.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #24
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I've been a PC guy almost my whole life and have had a PC of my own since I was 3 years old. Gave Windows 8 a serious try because I always like to see what is coming out. It is worthless and most people agree. Look at all the good tech sites on the Web and you won't see any groundbreaking reviews on it. Haven't really been impressed with any Microsoft OS since XP -- and even that took till SP3 to even be completely stable.

I would go with a Mac in a heartbeat. I bought a MacAir a year ago and the only problem I had was an issue with a trackpad, but that was fixed easily under Apple Care. One free year, three extended for $100 which is worth it on a $1,000+ investment. It has nothing to do with being a sheep. The high end laptops with Windows 8 cost just as much as a MacBook/MacAir. I don't think I have ever had a better machine than what I do now. It boots up in seconds and runs absolutely smoothly. The only thing I can say is with the flash state and how many websites use it, the battery life isn't as good as I expected. I'm not sure what the new generation of Mac's run at -- but my Air gets ~ 4.5 hours, sometimes 5 depending on the settings.

Go with the Mac. Orange Mane for Mac: (54) . . . Windows 8: El Guapo (1)
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #25
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Macs are expensive and impossible to improve. Get a pc with windows 7.
Not even remotely true at all. The only people who don't realize how you can upgrade a Mac are the people who don't know anything about computers other than how to boot them up and surf the web. It takes a little "smarts" to do it, but it easily can be done. How many people with PCs do you know that are bossing 32GB of RAM in their system. Probably none.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote