The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you consider the current Broncos an elite team?
Yes, we have all the ingredients from top to bottom 52 39.10%
No, shouldn't even be a question at this point. 5 3.76%
We're close let's see what we do in the playoffs that is the measure of elite 66 49.62%
It takes more than one season of playing at a high level before you can be considered elite. 10 7.52%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default Do you consider the current Broncos an elite team?

The phrase "elite team" is tossed around a lot this time of the year.

What makes a team "elite"
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Top 5 in offense and defense. I would have to say yes.
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I said more than one season but in reality, Elite makes it to the Super Bowl. You cant have 5 Elite teams in the NFL. Our 96 team can be considered Elite based on it being tied to the two SUper Bowl teams.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I said, no

Elite teams can win anywhere beat anyone. I do not feel we are at that level yet. I won't until we show we can beat best teams more often.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Drunken.Broncoholic

The transformation to an elite team is almost complete. The final test for elite teams are playoff performanceS. Not just one game in the playoffs.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think they're elite. Even if we have a let down in the playoffs, we're elite, which I don't think is going to happen, BTW.

I also don't think this is 1996 Redux, because we played in two playoff games last year, winning one. In 96 we hadn't been to the playoffs in three years, and hadn't won one in five. So much of the team had turned over from even the previous year that we were inexperienced.

This team is largely intact except that we've added a HOF QB. We'll be ready for our playoff run.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think they're elite. Not necessarily the best, but certainly part of the elite few.

The only losses are to other elite teams (while all the other possibly elite teams have lost to non-elite teams), and they weren't blown out in any of those losses. Add in that those losses come off of a huge negative turnover ratio (including a very statistically improbable fumble loss rate) that has been rectified and I'm not worried about those losses.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 12-27-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The other thing is in most of our losses we just made stupid mistakes. Basically that the majority of our problems have been self-inflicted. That means we've been the only ones in our way. That's a good thing.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Elite no, but good enough to win a Superbowl if everybody is on same page.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Cmon baja, for real? We've won 10 straight, our record is 12-3 and we have a chance for the #1 seed this week and you're asking if we think the Broncos are an elite team. Seriously? This is even a question?

All you have is the here and now. Anybody who is talking about maybe not elite if we don't win the in the playoffs, nobody can predict. All we can go by is where are the Broncos right now. Right now, yes they are elite, if you don't think so you are a retard.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
Drunken.Broncoholic

I don't think there is one truly elite team this year. Every team has shown weakness and vulnerability. This isn't the type of year where an elite team has the best shot to win. It's the type of year where the hottest team who's on a roll has the best shot.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

For all of you calling this Broncos team Elite as of the 27th of December and no playoff games won but one (if you are counting last season) then you better call those San Diego Chargers team Elite. Afterall, they were 14-2 and dominated the AFC West for years.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Cmon baja, for real? We've won 10 straight, our record is 12-3 and we have a chance for the #1 seed this week and you're asking if we think the Broncos are an elite team. Seriously? This is even a question?

All you have is the here and now. Anybody who is talking about maybe not elite if we don't win the in the playoffs, nobody can predict. All we can go by is where are the Broncos right now. Right now, yes they are elite, if you don't think so you are a retard.
Check the poll results. You tell me.

The thing is the word "Elite" is like the word God it almost defies definition.

To some Elite means you have built a team that competes for a ring for several seasons for example Shanahan's 96 - 98 Broncos to others such as yourself it means a 12 win season.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I said, no

Elite teams can win anywhere beat anyone. I do not feel we are at that level yet. I won't until we show we can beat best teams more often.
Uh oh, watch out. If you say a Broncos player is the best or the team isn't the best, you will get gang raped by the Homerism crowd.

I respect your opinion but I don't think it's fair to say we have to wait and see what they will look like in a month. The question is, do you think they are Elite, not do you think they will be elite in a month. So, based on right now, this very day, you have to say yes. Even if you didn't like their early losses, you still have to say they are because of 10 straight wins, 12-3 record. For real, it's not even a lagit question. How many other fans on forums would be even asking the question is their team elite, if their team was 12-3 and had 10 wins in a row. They'd be laughed off their forums immediately.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Check the poll results. You tell me.

The thing is the word "Elite" is like the word God it almost defies definition.

To some Elite means you have built a team that competes for a ring for several seasons for example Shanahan's 96 - 98 Broncos to others such as yourself it means a 12 win season.
Well maybe you should change your question structure. Be more specific. Because you're going to have the crowd who thinks they could be if we win the Superbowl. I was taking your question as are they elite right this very moment. Elite meaning, one of the best teams in the NFL. I mean, that's silly right. Of course they are, right now.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Well maybe you should change your question structure. Be more specific. Because you're going to have the crowd who thinks they could be if we win the Superbowl. I was taking your question as are they elite right this very moment. Elite meaning, one of the best teams in the NFL. I mean, that's silly right. Of course they are, right now.
I think the question is worded perfectly.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
troyjbath
Probably Drunk

Long time lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think this team can compete with any team in the league right now. They're top 5 in just about every statistic that matters, but let's see what they can do in the playoffs before we start calling them "elite".
troyjbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

You have to win something to be elite. Maybe even a couple of times.

I think we have the potential to be elite. But right now we're just a great team - not an elite one.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
Drunken.Broncoholic

I don't think the giants are an elite team last year. Yet they won the SB. Playoff success are all about the hot team getting hot at the right time. Playing their best at the most important times. Someone mentioned SD 14-2 but tailing off in the playoffs. Green Bay is doing it right now. Wouldn't be surprised if they go to the SB
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyjbath View Post
I think this team can compete with any team in the league right now. They're top 5 in just about every statistic that matters, but let's see what they can do in the playoffs before we start calling them "elite".
That is the thing. Two other teams in the playoffs and division winners beat us this season. Only way to get over that is to beat them or everyone else in the playoffs.

Drunken is correct. Giants showed themselves this season. Elite can't be a flash in the pan. In needs to show consistency.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
You have to win something to be elite. Maybe even a couple of times.

I think we have the potential to be elite. But right now we're just a great team - not an elite one.
You clearly have a different definition. I don't think he means "Elite in the anals of NFL history." He means elite out of the teams playing right now. The Steelers have won SB's a few times. But they aren't even in the playoffs this post season. Are they elite?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

I have to say no. I no everyone will jump on this but my original argument against Peyton was him not playing as well in the post season as he does during the regular. I still am preparing for a major letdown, but hoping I am completely wrong. The one thing that makes me more of a believer is Peyton doesn't have to be perfect with how well our defense is playing. I hope he realizes that come playoff time.

I really want to buy into this team and think they are very good.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
troyjbath
Probably Drunk

Long time lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
That is the thing. Two other teams in the playoffs and division winners beat us this season. Only way to get over that is to beat them or everyone else in the playoffs.

Drunken is correct. Giants showed themselves this season. Elite can't be a flash in the pan. In needs to show consistency.
Exactly. The Broncos will have to avenge at least one of those losses in the playoffs. I hate when the sports media uses the term elite. Was the 16-0 Pats team elite? The term is too subjective and is used way too often by the folks in sports media.
troyjbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

If elite is a group of people that are superior to others, then yes, a potentially 13-3 team that hasnt played a close game in like 10 weeks has to be considered elite.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

I was originally going to say that we were elite, but after reading some of the responses, I have re-defined elite and changed my stance. I say we are definately at "elite potential", but that is all.

I now say that if we win the SB AND steamroll thru next season much like the 98 team, then we can call ourselves elite. In the meantime, we should just be content on being "legitimate superbowl contenders".
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote